Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What year did you start playing your first The Sims game?

Comments

• ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    2005-2006
    It was Sims 2 on PS2 for me. I think I got it at a thrift store. I remember hearing about The Sims but had never played it when I spotted it. It wasn't over $12 and I had been forced to come along so I thought I'd ask my mom or grandma to buy it for me and try to get something out of the shopping trip and my mom bought it.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • simgirl542simgirl542 Posts: 1,071 Member
    We didn't have a computer.
    My brother had a Playstation 2 and I found the game at Blockbuster. I must have rented the game at least five times before I bought the game. I played sims 1 and sims bustin out on PS2 but I was very disappointed with sims 2 and 3 on console.
    When we finally got a computer I got sims 1 and gradually got the expansions in the sets (my mom was buying them so she insisted on better deals)
    After "killing" our first computer with all of the sims 1 games we got another computer but I had to upgrade to sims 2.
    It's basically been that way ever since. A computer dies, the new one is too powerful for the older version so I would change.
    I don't own a current console so I can't try sims 4 on it. My brother owns a current console but he can't stand the sims so he's essentially banned me from getting the game for any of his systems. I won't do it anyway because of how little I liked sims 2 and 3 on console.
    Celebrating 11 years on this forum. Simming proudly since 2001.
  • nahnahtodeinahnahtodei Posts: 58 Member
    2003-2004
    My friend had The Sims in 2004 so we played together, but I couldn't afford it for myself. Didn't buy my own game until The Sims 3 came out. I played TS3 until TS4 added toddlers, then switched and have been playing TS4 since. :)
  • CharityCodesCharityCodes Posts: 56 Member
    2018-2020
    I've only played the Sims 4 since last year. I was never really interested in it before, but then the base game was $5 and I was bored one day. Then I discovered you could mod this game pretty easily. That intrigued me and I also loved the story element and the challenges people would post. I enjoy games where you can create or add content or just play differently for different challenges.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    2003-2004
    @Brandontaylor We have very similar starts to playing this game. The same year, started with the same games on console with ts3 being the first on pc, have a younger brother who played, have ts4 but never got in to it, and still playing ts3. That's a weird, but also kinda cool, coincidence. lol
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited August 2020
    2018-2020
    I was a bit late to the party.
    I used to be vaguely aware that such game exists thanks to Youtube, but did not really pay it any attention before 2019. Now I have Sims Medieval, most of Sims 4 packs and am going to get Sims 3 soon.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    2012-2014
    My husband got me the Sims 3 base game plus Supernatural pack bundle for my birthday.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    2001-2002
    I answered 2001-2002, but it could have been 2000. Too long ago. Can't remember anymore :mrgreen:
    origin ID: adduapina
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    2005-2006
    My grown daughter introduced me to the game. She was alone in another state when her husband was sent to Kuwait. He was in the Army. Happily, for her, she had a couple of sisters-in-law living nearby. They introduced her to The Sims. She spent most of our telephone conversations telling me about this silly game. I was very glad she had something to keep her mind occupied while my son-in-law was deployed. She was very happy about Makin' Magic and was holding off on the new Sims2, hoping to explore all of Makin' Magic, first. Then her newly returned hubby gave her Sims2 for Christmas. That very quickly put an end to her Makin' Magic exploration. She was completely blown away by the phenomenal, wholesale changes Maxis had made in the game. By the time spring of 2005 rolled around, the kids were back home in the State we all lived in at the time). She was able to bring their gaming laptop over to my house wherein she proceeded to 'show' me the game. Then she suggested I create a Sim. Once that was done, she nudged me to put my Sim in a neighborhood. Then she sat beside me and guided my play. Yeah, I got hooked. It took all of us by surprise. I could no longer wait until she had the opportunity to swing by and let me use her laptop to play the game, while she worked for a couple of hours. My hubby urged me to go ahead and purchase my own copy of the game. I told him my laptop couldn't handle it. He said, buy the game and we'll see. When it wouldn't load I was crestfallen (even though I knew we had it built to not play games). But, that's another story. One day, my hubby called me from work to tell me to keep an eye out for the UPS truck. He had ordered a brand new gaming rig that was to arrive in about three weeks, making sure they knew it was to be able to play Sims2. My gaming in earnest began in August 2005. I haven't stopped, yet.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    2012-2014
    I picked up Sims 3 during a Steam sale late in its life, since I remembered being interested in the original game when it came out (but never got around to picking it up.) Most of my childhood was spent playing various iterations of SimCity, if that counts.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    Bought the original game on release with allowance money. :D I'd seen the trailer for it when I switched from SimCity 2000 to SimCity 3000 Unlimited.
  • alliehuealliehue Posts: 16 Member
    It was a gift The Sims 1 from my niece she said here you need to give this a shot I wish she had never given it to me. I hate that it's an addiction for me 😂🙂
    To build a house, get tired of it wipe it build another one get tired of it wipe it build another one. Back then I made my own wallpaper I miss that. it was time consuming but I got the wallpaper I liked and it actually matched everything in the room lol.
  • hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    2003-2004
    I think I was 7 or 8 when I first seen it in a basket at the supermarket. It was sims 1 double deluxe edition, so I was fairly new to simulation games. My first time playing it was pretty cool. I loved that game so much that I regretted my decision on what I let happen to the cd's. It is still a favorite of mine, but it's been so long since I've played that I feel disconnected. Not long after that gen, I ran across the sims 2, which still to this day I LOVE. I couldn't live without this masterpiece to say the least.
  • Livi5500kLivi5500k Posts: 22 Member
    2018-2020
    I’m 22 so I wasn’t really able to play the first one. Never played 2 or 3, received 4 as a gift on my 21st birthday. Have been hooked since (nearly a year and a half). I’ve also bought most of the packs and had a few gifted.
  • EuryphaessaEuryphaessa Posts: 11 New Member
    I first played The Sims in 2000 after my Dad gave me a trial version disc he got with a pc magazine. I was hooked straight away and have played all the Sims game every since. I still have all my original discs for the first sims game and all the expansions. Can't believe its been 20 years!
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    My grown daughter introduced me to the game. She was alone in another state when her husband was sent to Kuwait. He was in the Army. Happily, for her, she had a couple of sisters-in-law living nearby. They introduced her to The Sims. She spent most of our telephone conversations telling me about this silly game. I was very glad she had something to keep her mind occupied while my son-in-law was deployed. She was very happy about Makin' Magic and was holding off on the new Sims2, hoping to explore all of Makin' Magic, first. Then her newly returned hubby gave her Sims2 for Christmas. That very quickly put an end to her Makin' Magic exploration. She was completely blown away by the phenomenal, wholesale changes Maxis had made in the game. By the time spring of 2005 rolled around, the kids were back home in the State we all lived in at the time). She was able to bring their gaming laptop over to my house wherein she proceeded to 'show' me the game. Then she suggested I create a Sim. Once that was done, she nudged me to put my Sim in a neighborhood. Then she sat beside me and guided my play. Yeah, I got hooked. It took all of us by surprise. I could no longer wait until she had the opportunity to swing by and let me use her laptop to play the game, while she worked for a couple of hours. My hubby urged me to go ahead and purchase my own copy of the game. I told him my laptop couldn't handle it. He said, buy the game and we'll see. When it wouldn't load I was crestfallen (even though I knew we had it built to not play games). But, that's another story. One day, my hubby called me from work to tell me to keep an eye out for the UPS truck. He had ordered a brand new gaming rig that was to arrive in about three weeks, making sure they knew it was to be able to play Sims2. My gaming in earnest began in August 2005. I haven't stopped, yet.

Can I just say, I love your family?! :love: What a wonderful sim gamer story, I especially love the UPS truck calll part!
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    I'm totally dating myself here, but I went to Best Buy to buy a copy of ClarisWorks and saw Sims 1 on display, I picked it up as an impulse buy along with my purchase... and twenty years later... :D
  • CeiCeiHCeiCeiH Posts: 47 Member
    Been down with Sims since it first came out
    ~~ Nothing like being a happy Simmer! We let all hell break loose!! :D ~~
  • RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    2001-2002
    I had to double check because I can never remember if it was 2001 or 2002 but it was The Sims 2 House Party Pack with base game before they added Livin' Large to the bundle so that was 2002 and I know it was around February/March because it was a few weeks after I had bought my own PC which was second hand so even though Vacation came out around the time I started playing I could only fit up to and including Hot Date on there but downtown ran like a snail, I'm surprised I had the patience for it.
    I ended up buying a new computer I think a year later to be ready for Sims 2 when it came out and of course adding all of the Sims 1 packs that I was missing. I remember buying Makin' Magic on launch day and that was so exciting.
    iscQh5U.png
  • HSDevHSDev Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2021
    2012-2014
    ‎‎‎‎‎
    Post edited by HSDev on
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Specifically "The Sims", in 2000. But I've been with Maxis longer than EA has.
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    > @simgirl1010 said:
    > That's why there's so much discontent on the official forum. The majority of the players here have been playing for a long time so there's much comparison of the current iteration to past versions.

I find the survey surprising and interesting. I just assumed that most of the original players have moved on to other things, and the typical TS4 player only found the series in the past few years. I was totally wrong. Most of us are long-timers.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    2018-2020
    Last February
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited September 2020
    2012-2014
    I was obsessed with the Sims for years before I got my hands on The Sims 3, watching my friend play, spending hours on the wiki on my mother’s Nokia Touchscreen and dreaming about how the LPs I watched would continue. I got my hands on TS3 sometime during 2012-2013 and was hooked ever since, even when I spent my first year or so without any expansions, stuff packs, or the knowledge of mods. 8-9 years later, and I’m still completely hooked, even if it tends to come in more intense waves of love and passion than something steady and simple (and that’s on the spectrum, luv x).
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I think it’s 2000 or at the very latest 2001 from memory. It’s when sims 1 came out and had no expansions. I remember being in primary school which I left in 2002 to start secondary school and I was definitely playing the game before then.