Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Young adults can be a parents for teens. It is weird.

How young adults can be a parents for a teens? In real life it is a very rare situation. Young adults are the people between approx. 20-35 years old. Teens 13-20. How young Sims can have such old children than?

Comments

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Well there is the reward store potion to reverse aging, so it is possible.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    Yes, it's weird, and Adults can be parents to Young adults, too. It's all about not being on same lifestage.

I think it's fine though. In my game sims turn teen at 15, and YA at 29. I think it's default by the game, not sure why they thought sims at 28 should be teenagers... My young adults are between 29 and 50. So, at max, the teen at 15 can hava a parent at 50. I don't see a problem with that. Anyway, it's a sand box, even if the game allow for many things, it doesn't mean I have to do it. In my game I never create fresh young adults having teens.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Yes, it's weird, and Adults can be parents to Young adults, too.

When this comes to my mind, I usually think back on Friends to make this thought no so bad. Monica and Ross are YA, and their parents who aren’t elders yet, would be Adults. 😅 This always makes it less weirder for me
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    Yeah, I always thought that was weird too. Apparently TS4 has the same view of age gaps as it does time management (who takes an hour-long shower?)
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I agree. It's super weird for me seeing Bella Goth with a teenage daughter. For me YA age is like 19 to Early 30s. and adult age is 35-65 on Sims. So adults being parents to young adults is no big deal for me. The only way I can see YA Sims being parents to teens if they're a vampire.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I found that out with a family I downloaded from the gallery. The eldest daughter aged up to YA and her parents are both still YA.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I agree. It's super weird for me seeing Bella Goth with a teenage daughter. For me YA age is like 19 to Early 30s. and adult age is 35-65 on Sims. So adults being parents to young adults is no big deal for me. The only way I can see YA Sims being parents to teens if they're a vampire.

A 13 year old with a 31 year old parent for example, is more than feasible. And within the bounds of law as far as child rearing ages.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    It’s possible on the higher end of the young adults age range, but it certainly wouldn’t be common, especially these days.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It is weird. Especially when the teens look the same age as their parents. This is why I wish teens appearance was a bit more unique.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I mean, it would be weird in real life, but not a game. So long as they are younger, it is fine. I would never want them to restrict it. If it feels odd, don't make them just one life stage apart. Also, especially for occult play, I would like parentage to be available on the same age group. Say what you will, but it makes perfect sense for a family of ageless, immortal vampires to all be YAs regardless of parentage.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    My guess is they get by with this because they never stated (to my knowledge) exactly what the age ranges are for each life state. They leave it up to that player’s interpretation.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I'm glad they allow it. I wish adults could be the parents of adults. It wouldn't be that strange for someone 36 years old to have a parent who is 55, for example. And I don't think 55 year olds are considered Elders, but what do I know?

I once tricked the game into allowing my Simself (an adult) to have the human version of my late dog (an elder) as her child. That was interesting!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't find it weird at all. But I guess it depends on what actual age range you consider a young adult to be.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Shh...don't question such things. Logic is not a thing in The Sims :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited September 2020
    If a young adult were 30/31/32 years-old and had a 13 year-old kid, that would mean they became a parent at the age of 17/18/19. That’s totally possible (though uncommon) and I’d hate it if the game didn’t allow it.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    Not weird. I know a good few. It’s pretty common where I live. :#

Do you live in 1965? 😉😁
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Pretty common where I live too actually.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    My cousin was a grandmother at age 32. She was 14 (1969) when she had a daughter. They got married at age 16 and had 3 more daughters. They are still together. In 1987 the oldest daughter had a baby when she was 18. It happens!
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,125 Member
    edited September 2020
    I was 20 when I had my first son, and 23 (almost 24) when I had my second son. I'm 36 now. My oldest son will be 16 in a few weeks. Also, I'm a great-aunt to a toddler. I was an aunt at 12 because I was the youngest of 5 kids. My sister who was the closest to my age, is 4 years older than. My oldest brother is almost 11 years older than me. I also have an aunt who was literally an aunt before she was born. She's younger than 2 or 3 of my cousins.

As far as the game is concerned, sims age faster through the earlier stages. On normal lifespan, the child and teen stages are only 14 days. Whereas the young adult and adult stages are around 24 days each, although I'm not 100% sure on the exact amount.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I'm glad they allow it. I wish adults could be the parents of adults. It wouldn't be that strange for someone 36 years old to have a parent who is 55, for example. And I don't think 55 year olds are considered Elders, but what do I know?

I once tricked the game into allowing my Simself (an adult) to have the human version of my late dog (an elder) as her child. That was interesting!

Some places do consider 55 to be "elders" -- I'm in a retirement community that's for people 55 years and older.

These days, you have people as young as 16 and 17 having children in Real Life, so a 35yo could potentially have an 18yo son/daughter.

I figure that YA covers from 18 to about 40, Adult is 40-65, Elder 65 until Grimmy comes a-callin'. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,456 Member
    edited September 2020
    So_Money wrote: »

Do you live in 1965? 😉😁

Let’s say I live in a rather passionate community. 😏
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm glad they allow it. And ages of young adults can be interpreted by the individual. Even teen of mine has a young adult parent. And the parent has an adult parent.
    Could be weird but I love the freedom of choice.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(