March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's Watch Together: Gamescom - Opening Night Live

13...Next

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I definitely feel like this was nothing more than a marketing thing and only about money. I'm not sure why they would think that die-hard SW fans would magically be drawn to TS4 and all of a sudden become a fan of it simply because they added a SW pack. I'm sure the replayability will be lacking and won't be like a real SW game. They would have to buy not only the basegame but also the GP to play it, don't see that happening. ...

Well, it's safe to say that ALL packs are there for a reason - money. I'm fine with that, it's business after all. We are customers who are free to buy or not to buy each pack. I really doubt that EA expects that 100% of us are getting all packs.

My worry is that they seem to focus more on adventure packs, with content that will not gain a bit to most of our existing households. Those playing just one household might take on the adventure, being StrangerVille or Space, but most households will NOT play through such adventures. Most likely the excitement will be gone after the first play through. We know very little of Batuu yet, so maybe there will be features that can have some relevance to many households, or with certain fun if repeated. But I'm sure most of my realistic households will not be happy to scroll past numerous of outfits, masks and space furniture, every time browsing the catalogs. Hopefully the niche content can be hidden?

I hope the next pack will add to the *general* game, instead of adding niche adventures that are fun for 3-4 weeks.

It's a risk for EA/Maxis but the game was descending into the dolls house mode too much and getting a bit dull, from my point of view.

Looking at it in a positive way for those who like Sims 4, if it is a success the budget might be expanded and we all get what we want in the end! You can hope!
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    edited August 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    I definitely feel like this was nothing more than a marketing thing and only about money. I'm not sure why they would think that die-hard SW fans would magically be drawn to TS4 and all of a sudden become a fan of it simply because they added a SW pack. I'm sure the replayability will be lacking and won't be like a real SW game. They would have to buy not only the basegame but also the GP to play it, don't see that happening. ...

Well, it's safe to say that ALL packs are there for a reason - money. I'm fine with that, it's business after all. We are customers who are free to buy or not to buy each pack. I really doubt that EA expects that 100% of us are getting all packs.

My worry is that they seem to focus more on adventure packs, with content that will not gain a bit to most of our existing households. Those playing just one household might take on the adventure, being StrangerVille or Space, but most households will NOT play through such adventures. Most likely the excitement will be gone after the first play through. We know very little of Batuu yet, so maybe there will be features that can have some relevance to many households, or with certain fun if repeated. But I'm sure most of my realistic households will not be happy to scroll past numerous of outfits, masks and space furniture, every time browsing the catalogs. Hopefully the niche content can be hidden?

I hope the next pack will add to the *general* game, instead of adding niche adventures that are fun for 3-4 weeks.

It's a risk for EA/Maxis but the game was descending into the dolls house mode too much and getting a bit dull, from my point of view.

Looking at it in a positive way for those who like Sims 4, if it is a success the budget might be expanded and we all get what we want in the end! You can hope!

Yay, I'm all for some packs taking a step away from the general dolls house. I still love most of the content from StrangerVille, just don't see the storyline itself as interesting to my general game. I'll welcome many on-the-side packs, but in the hope of them being not totally niche, because I want a minimum of the content to be somehow relevant for at certain number of households. But it can be anything weird and not so dolls-house-ish, that's just fine as long as it can be partly integrated with a "normal" game. Maybe Star Wars comes with more general stuff than I expect, we'll see :)

PS: As much as EA probably does not expect us all to get all the packs, I do not expect all packs to be my cup of tea. And that's totally fine. This far I got all EPs bar one, but only 2 SPs. And I've still not checked out all the content of my game.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    Really disappointed honestly, first time in 6 years I’m actually not gonna but a pack on day 1....or ever 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

This might just end up being my fourth or fifth pack for Sims 4 I haven't purchased. I'll watch the trailer before I decide. I always strive to be as fair as possible.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,294 Member
    cody6268 wrote: »
    There have been multiple suggestions and polls as to what the next packs should be, with a huge list of suggestions--never once was Star Wars on it. Just becuase it's never been done before doesn't mean it should.

Trying to be positive, but, uh, why was this even an idea? I have to admit--now we have proof EA has lost touch with the game's base. Personally, TS takes place in an alternative universe, one where Star Wars doesn't exist, and most definitely, not in Star Wars universe. Gonna be real weird having Star Wars stuff in the main game worlds. This pack, and Star Wars in general just has no place in the Sims universe. It's so out of place. I think it's what happen when you let marketing, and not fans make decisions. I guess their idea was to get the huge legion of Star Wars fans to buy the game.

While I may get this pack for the droids (and am hoping, Jyn Erso is among the premades, but I doubt it), I sure hope their are tons of toggles to get this stuff out of the game. We wanted vehicles--cars and trucks, not speeder bikes an Millennium Falcons. And I'm betting like the REDACTED Lab and Community Spaces, you really can't mess with the structures in whatever world we are getting. Not a fan of violence that much either in the game. I had mods that did allow it; but eventually got rid of them.

Sadly, Star Wars is just as niche as Star Trek, although you can bet your antigrav boots I'd jump on a Star Trek pack. I would very much like to see the trailer for this, just in case I see something worth my while to purchase this pack. I had some fun with Strangerville, using the scenario as a mission for my Trek characters, but I'm uncertain about Batuu. I have only watched four of the Star Wars movies. Ever.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I like a couple of the table lamps, the long lamps that hang beside the door, some of the weird faces, the bridge, the fact they have flying stuff(thinking of unicorns, pegasus, dragons, and Angels in the future), and any alien types. Those were the only thing to catch my eye and included in not catching my eye is the storyline and basically everything in it. I can't see anything making this worth it for me unless they have several alien creatures we haven't seen to maybe buy/collect.

Like this less than Strangerville, which I bought on sale and have never touched. Personally, I like dollhouseish if that is what was all in the Sims3 ect. I don't buy the Sims to play Star Wars, Walking dead ect.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited August 2020
    cody6268 wrote: »
    There have been multiple suggestions and polls as to what the next packs should be, with a huge list of suggestions--never once was Star Wars on it. Just becuase it's never been done before doesn't mean it should.

Trying to be positive, but, uh, why was this even an idea? I have to admit--now we have proof EA has lost touch with the game's base. Personally, TS takes place in an alternative universe, one where Star Wars doesn't exist, and most definitely, not in Star Wars universe. Gonna be real weird having Star Wars stuff in the main game worlds. This pack, and Star Wars in general just has no place in the Sims universe. It's so out of place. I think it's what happen when you let marketing, and not fans make decisions. I guess their idea was to get the huge legion of Star Wars fans to buy the game.

While I may get this pack for the droids (and am hoping, Jyn Erso is among the premades, but I doubt it), I sure hope their are tons of toggles to get this stuff out of the game. We wanted vehicles--cars and trucks, not speeder bikes an Millennium Falcons. And I'm betting like the REDACTED Lab and Community Spaces, you really can't mess with the structures in whatever world we are getting. Not a fan of violence that much either in the game. I had mods that did allow it; but eventually got rid of them.

Sadly, Star Wars is just as niche as Star Trek, although you can bet your antigrav boots I'd jump on a Star Trek pack. I would very much like to see the trailer for this, just in case I see something worth my while to purchase this pack. I had some fun with Strangerville, using the scenario as a mission for my Trek characters, but I'm uncertain about Batuu. I have only watched four of the Star Wars movies. Ever.

I'm more of a Trekkie too and have only watched the first 3 Star Trek films and one of Star Wars but they've mentioned bunkers in the blog and that's what I'll be doing with my Strangerville content. Maybe Oasis Springs could be used as well. I'm already using it as an Area 52 escape world from the Mother. I always mix and match stuff a lot!
    (
    PS: I did make a suggestion to Paradox on Twitter about a Terry Pratchett, Ankh Morpork Cims game. They liked the idea but thought the rights to it would be too difficult to get! B) )
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    I am hoping, really hoping that this pack sorts out the over friendliness in the sims 4, and also that it brings a cure to the gardening bug which has been conveniently swept under the rug, carpet or any other forgotten place.
    Otherwise we will end up with Darth Vader having a friendly chat with his worst enemy and being BFF with The Grim Reaper and.. hey... that might just be an idea for an easy challenge!
  • Danuta720Danuta720 Posts: 45 Member
    I wonder - in what direction are the current game developers going. The idea behind the creator of Sims - Will Wright - was primarily a game based on the construction mode, and only then did the life simulation come in.
    When the creator added a life simulation, the most important thing was the interaction between Sims - and they developed them systematically, added emotions, and the best ones were in The Sims 2.
    The Sims 3 was already a bit poorer about these interactions, but still quite good. And most of all, the buy / build mode has been expanded, open worlds and many other technical novelties have been added.
    In The Sims 4, the development has suddenly gone back to loading screens, interactions between Sims have been reduced, their emotions have been minimized to almost zero, and the current game developers are introducing an RPG adventure game.
    In that case, I will ask again in what direction are the game developers going? Because I don't sign up for an adventure game. :s
  • luckyheatherluckyheather Posts: 19,716 Member
    edited August 2020
    The only thing that concerns me is the Lack of house furniture such as Kitchen, Bedroom, Bathroom that seems to be lacking in a lot of packs recently, I know we have Eco stuff now but there seems to be furniture for a Bar only. We got Tudor and Clubbing stuff with Get Together for example and very little furniture for Strangerville so what are we getting to create homes Star Wars based? and are the buildings we saw in the Video just for show? Can we build rounded walls? Personally I want to see Sims using buildings and walking around areas like Sims 3, I love the 'Into The Future' pack and I am hoping this Star Wars Theme will be as much fun to play and build for.

Also I am hoping....praying that the Alien people we see in the Video are Sims we can make and not some silly outfit that is only worn as daywear!!! I hope they gave us more skin tones and pointy ears would be fantastic for any sim we want to create as our creativity is what we enjoy so much, it sets this game as a popular game for so many years, please dont fail us now EA. I have played since the start and have every pack and play nearly every day all year round and upload my creations all week long.
    Post edited by luckyheather on
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Such a waste of a game pack. Now how long do I have to wait to get a pack I actually want to buy and play with? How many more months? Smh

Don't get me wrong I love Star Wars. I will end up buying this pack because I love Star Wars. It'll be a matter of listening to community opinions on the pack and buy it when it goes half price or buy it sooner.

However...

I believe this pack was to appease Disney. I don't know how the contract to the rights for Star Wars is written with EA being licenced to do Star Wars in their games and Star Wars Games. For all, we know Disney demanded a Sims-Star Wars amalgamation by a certain time or they would break their contract with EA or sue them for contract violations.

As usual, it's not what the Sims Community wants it's about greed and contractual obligations.

I know the different franchise and that Star Trek isn't the same as Star Wars but I thought a Ferengi meme was appropriate

[img][/img]DGx8ekh.jpg

Instead of doing what they did with Medieval which would have been a more profitable option by charging 60 or 70 bucks for the basic Sims Star Wars Limited Edition and then have an online shop to buy things like Darth Maul's Light Sabre for 5 bucks, buy characters that are popular in the franchise like Luke SkyWalker for 10 bucks and so on with the online shop to add to the game. Buy ships we want. Buy races we want to be added in that wouldn't come initially in the game etc... Typical EA tactics for being greedy.

I would have prefered having a special anniversary game pack. A builder/CAS game pack, Added skintones, added hairstyles, bugs being fixed problems being fixed in the game. My kids can't learn Charisma Logic Piano Violin (etc) skills that prior to to the update before last they could learn and get a decent level before ageing up as teens. Instead, we get a game pack from what I've seen from community reactions isn't what the community wanted. I've seen the Game Changers reactions to the trailer and they really don't seem too impressed. They really are going to have to come up with a serious apology update, pack or something for the community for this.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The reaction of the majority of the fanbase as EA announced the Star Wars advertising pack wiggum-heart.gif
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • GothicSimmerGothicSimmer Posts: 66 Member
    I was shocked and confused at first but now I am interested to see what this pack holds as it looks quite interesting! I really like the whole Idea as it's new to The Sims and it looks like a pretty good crossover between The Sims and Starwars. I am going to give it a chance and see what it holds once the pack releases in two weeks's time. I am super excited for the livestream so the team can go deep into the pack for us as its always hard to judge a pack from the trailer as it does not show what the pack has to offer.
  • SimLarkSimLark Posts: 143 Member
    I find the mix most unfortunate. I still cannot believe this is going to be the autumn launch...I thought My First Pet was the one and only pack released with such negative feedback. But looking at this, I wonder what we'll get in the future. APEX, Battlefield?
    I personally am a fan of SW and actually play it. It's for the days when I look for quests, adventure and fight. But in Sims? No, never gonna get the pack.
    I am not an English native speaker, so excuse my French :)
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    You can all have your opinions on the pack it justifiable but there are people who are actually looking forward to the Star Wars pack. I personally don't think it will be fun because I haven't liked any pack that has come out since Seasons and I don't think any pack will get back into playing The Sims 4. But I am respectful to the people that want a Star Wars pack if I was into that I would think that would be a cool collaboration. I mean it looks interesting but every pack I thought looked interesting got boring after a week of playing it.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Muzzettemm1Muzzettemm1 Posts: 3 New Member
    Is there a reason why we arent getting Cars for our sims to drive or the Genie or the Werewolves from Supernatural? Why?? that was one of the things I really enjoyed about sims 3
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    I am a star wars fan.
    parts one to six of the films, anyway.
    in the sims 4?

I think the world and content looks great B)
    gameplay?

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey @marcel21, there is a blog post here that shows a few of the things we can expect from the gameplay. :)
  • Darcyag3Darcyag3 Posts: 18 Member
    hey i love star wars i always have my dad took me to my first date with him to watch the very first star wars in the theater. he died in 2010. so im texting. i hope maybe one day you guys can bring int he teleporter elevator like ins ism 2 or 3. and free time type of package would be really fun. i loved making the sims build there own car..and doing elvators. but i really liked the teleport ones to and changing the colors that was fun. may be doing a futire based expansion like in sims 3 and the sims can dry spacehips instead of space cars.. or maybe do an update where we can use the robot workshop to make hover boards which was a really big hit!!! and replicators..
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    I wish they had left the CAS content as costume items, or special classes (like mermaids/vampires/aliens) - I don't mind certain costumes, but I really don't want my NPC's wearing them completely randomly (think Stormtrooper helmet with ugly holiday sweater and clashing skirt or pants).
    Maybe allow certain Star Wars alien features for aliens, but maybe horns, random skin colors, and unusual noses should not appear on random townies, for instance.

The build items, on the other hand, might be interesting to play with. However, I still would have preferred a Marvel or DC pack to a Disney Star Wars pack. Or, if it had to be Disney, they should have thrown in some Disney princess dresses and Disney decorations (like a Mickey Mouse landline phone - those are vintage, or maybe some Disney songs in the kids music channel).
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Sims_Geek_GirlSims_Geek_Girl Posts: 8 New Member
    The sims 4 needed star wars not a babies update or a musicals update. Super necessary.
  • Sims_Geek_GirlSims_Geek_Girl Posts: 8 New Member
    or hey werewolves and fairies would be nice in TS4 too