Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are the 10 most important features of a good Sims game for you?

AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
edited September 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
For me, the most important features what would make a good Sims game are:
- Depth of gameplay & consequences
- Memory system similar to TS2
- Unique, fleshed our gameplay for all ages
- Vast diversity & representation
- Open/ partially open world
- Optional, autonomous progression
- Storylines & Lore
- Good quality graphics
- Sims with personality (traits, aspirations, personality points, interests, attractions)
- Packs which are good value for money and have an adequate amount of content & gameplay
- Exciting, unique, unpredictable events and situations which direct the gameplay rather than the player always having to lead
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Comments

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    Ability to create and change relationships, and the ability of the game to recognize those relationships
    Ability to create sweet looking Sims
    Personality traits and lot traits
    Affordable DLC
    Ability to have everybody get along, and nobody fight or cheat unless desired
    Ability to completely customize Sims, lots, and the world
    Ways to connect Sims, like the ability to create groups and clubs
    Excellent family tree that shows complicated relationships with many generations
    A way to quickly recognize Sims (like a name label that pops up over their heads)
    A way to easily get from one place to another without having to hunt around for the place (which for me is facilitated by maps and loading screens)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited September 2020
    no emotion system
    the main focus is on family gameplay
    depth, consequences
    meaningful traits
    closed world
    unplayable pets
    a good amount of swatches (i hate create a style tool)
    good comunication from developers

Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited September 2020
    Good base. We will expect things so the basegame better be prepared for them. No more foundational issues excuses please, you know we will ask for pets, hobbies, cars, seasons, resorts, gardening, farming...

Good building tools. Let us build our dream (or nightmirish houses). Current Sims 4 tools are the best so far but I miss water (pond) tool and allways wished that you could put different height foundations next to each other.

Matching BB items with at least 5 basic swatches each (+others) or a colourwheel. It's ridiculous how sometimes CC is more Maxis matching than the official items with the packs.

Representation! It's a must that the game needs to be diverse in all aspects: age, body shape, cultural and racial representation as well as gender and sexual diversity.

Personalities. Sims need to have distinctive personalities, I'm thinking about Sims 2 (without horoscope) with sims 3 dreams and aspirations + likes and dislikes. I'd also like to be able to set fears and compulssions for sims.

Fleshed up relationships between sims based on their personality, traits, likes and dislikes and whether they are family, lovers, classmates, work coleagues or just met on the street. There needs to be some sort of affinity system for relationships (both platonic and romantic).

Social interactions! I'm fed up with how much sims are a bunch of "touch me nots" in the current iteration. I want sims to cuddle, play catch, Marco Polo, couple dance, come greet their spouses with a kiss and their relatives with a hug...

Ability to switch off the aspects you don't want in your game. If I don't want occults, celebrities, seasons or whatever in my game I should be able to switch them off without needing mods.

A tool to admin the worlds. I want to be able to customize worlds at least to a certain extent: building style, weather, townies, jobs, etc.

Meaningfull actions. Memories, family trees, romantice, friendships, life milestones and goals should have an impact in a sim's life.
    Post edited by Nushka on
    Happy simming!
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Don't forget cohesion, integration, and details. To me those three things are the life of a game. It's not really a game without the little things that tie it all together to really make it complete.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    - World Creator
    - Smart Sims with personalities traits that actually matter who act and react differently that will remember other Sims they hate like or love.
    - Open neighborhood its long time our Sims see there neighbors outside having a bbq, going for a swim or getting in the car for work
    - All life stages none being a bassinet
    - Cars
    - Ability to play as I want don't tell me I cant be a waiter in my restaurant
    - Packs tied together such as if one expansion adds in swimmable body of water all worlds should gain this feature if water is there or if apartments are added in one world the option is there to create them in all of them
    - Real community lot type not forced specific lots I should be able to have multiple business types on one lot I don't need robots that can only do set limited tasks correctly on a single business type
    - Real social interactions like dancing together, kids playing together, cuddling in bed, riding jet skis together and riding bikes along side each other
    - CAS that allows you to create the Sims you want with color wheel more variety with presets like ears and most importantly body hair for ignored male Sims
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020
    For me, the most important features what would make a good Sims game are:
    - Depth of gameplay & consequences
    - Memory system similar to TS2
    - Unique, fleshed our gameplay for all ages
    - Vast diversity & representation
    - Open/ partially open world
    - Optional, autonomous progression
    - Storylines & Lore
    - Good quality graphics
    - Sims with personality (traits, aspirations, personality points, interests, attractions)
    - Packs which are good value for money and have an adequate amount of content & gameplay
    - Exciting, unique, unpredictable events and situations which direct the gameplay rather than the player always having to lead

Yes.

Yes.

Yes to everything.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    - World Creator
    - Smart Sims with personalities traits that actually matter who act and react differently that will remember other Sims they hate like or love.
    - Open neighborhood its long time our Sims see there neighbors outside having a bbq, going for a swim or getting in the car for work
    - All life stages none being a bassinet
    - Cars
    - Ability to play as I want don't tell me I cant be a waiter in my restaurant
    - Packs tied together such as if one expansion adds in swimmable body of water all worlds should gain this feature if water is there or if apartments are added in one world the option is there to create them in all of them
    - Real community lot type not forced specific lots I should be able to have multiple business types on one lot I don't need robots that can only do set limited tasks correctly on a single business type
    - Real social interactions like dancing together, kids playing together, cuddling in bed, riding jet skis together and riding bikes along side each other
    - CAS that allows you to create the Sims you want with color wheel more variety with presets like ears and most importantly body hair for ignored male Sims

Also, yes to all of this.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    body hair for ignored male Sims
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love body hair but why only for male sims? I mean, women naturally grow body hair as well.
    Happy simming!
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Nushka wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love body hair but why only for male sims? I mean, women naturally grow body hair as well.
    Because for the most part women wax shave and laser it out of existence men don't.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I'm keeping it simple. TS2 updated to take advantage of modern computer technology and run smoothly on Win 10. Is it perfect? no. Does it blow the doors off TS4? by a long way.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    edited September 2020
    1) World ownership
    I do not want a world my sims live in to be a stage decoration. I need to be able to change it and decorate it. I want to decide which weather, terrain paint and deco are suitable for a world myself. Even this feature alone could make a gameplay much more versatile. Grunge or Victorian or Country or City this should be my preference. I need to have an opportunity to place my own lots and decide on their size.

2) Option to tweak and disable features.
    Once again. I like to decide things in my game myself. Age, length of a season, presence of supernaturals etc. I want them all controllable! In Sims series each of games has some cons and pros in this department. I like how I can control some features (like aging of NPCs) in Sims4 but I absolutely hate that I only have preset options for age and length of season and can't set them myself. Or that I do not have control over supernaturals like in Sims 3.

3) More "generic" sandboxy approach to design.
    Not sure how to formulate this in short... Let us design ourselves. Be it the most obvious Create a Style. Or other less obvious features. For example in sims 2 we had just Community Lot. No additional types, no building requirements and it worked! I didn't need a specific lot type for restaurant or shop or park, they all worked on a single lot type. And multipurpose lots were not an issue. Still can't have cafe and library both functional on one lot in Sims4 after 6 years... Or chats. I'm perfectly fine how in sims 2 "chat" is just a generic chat and accompanied by a meaningful thought bubbles and reactions it gives me pretty good idea on how it's going. I do not need multiple options for chat "about toys", "weather", "llamas" blah-blah-blah... Especially when they have almost zero variations in outcome. What's the purpose? Another good example is custom paintings like they were in TS2. You want a custom painting you put a jpeg in a folder and you have it.

4) No political correctness, please.
    I do not need to be educated, schooled, lectured whatever. I remember I was unpleasantly surprised when I saw on twitter how SimGuruGrant (if I'm not mistaken) commented on a question about absence of more "adult" features like goose, "dancers" at the parties, robbers etc... He wrote something like "we decided not to risk a lawsuit"... Well guys, I have bad news for you. It's called self-censorship. And no matter which reasons are forcing it on you - weather it's forced by authorities in Authoriatarian countries like mine or by minorities in Democracies as they are now - this is not doing any good to anyone in the end. I hate cancel culture and hate to see its impact on media.

5) Not everything is butterflies and rainbows. Let things be bad.
    Unfortunately I think only Sims 2 was good with Sims misery. The only thing I think I have against Sims 3 is that this feature was slowly reduced. And ended up nonexistent in Sims 4. Fears, job failure due to chance cards, aspiration failures were precious. And overall game should be harder - fires more deadly, food require mandatory ingredients, clothes shouldn't be free and so on... In the end as Tolstoy wrote "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." )

6) Personality.
    It's such a common place in all complaints now... What I mean when I say this. I do not want to decide every little thing for my sim, I do not want to imagine everything in my head and then act it out (in many cases with the help of poses and fake props). I want to decide in general on sim character and main features and see how it'll play out autonomously from there. Sim should be able to decide it's own attraction, interests, hobby, relationships with others and communicate all these back to me in the form of meaningful wants (and fears). Playing by sims wishes was a thing that many players were doing in the days of Sims 2/3. And it was really entertaining. That's what Carl is frequently talking about in his videos. Being in charge for every single plot twist and every single sim step is not always a good thing.

7) Integration.
    With Sims 4 business model it's really hard to implement, but why this should be my problem? At least they try with expansions, but not always succeed. If you are adding expansive features make them workable backwards. Swimming - all water should be swimmable. Apartments - I should have them where I want them in my game. Toddlers - I still want to shop for toddler clothes... So on. If it'll lead to fewer DLC I'm fine with this since they'll be more fleshed out and well thought. The matter is will the publisher be ok with this?...

8) If we are playing with life can we please play with the whole life-cycle?
    Each life-stage should be distinct, fleshed out and have value in it. Behavior, reactions, interests... all these should change during each life-state. There should be many interactions specific to age-group and between age groups. Children, teens and YAs won't behave all the same in same situations like chores, visiting different places etc... Also, you know, surprise, but children can do many things. They can ride bicycles, water plants, play many different instruments and so on... I feel like in Sims 4 children are a bit dumb... And in the end some minor but important features defining life stages like body hairs or teeth loss.

9) Real-life objects in life simulator, please.
    I can deal without a gigantic microscope, cupcake machine, ball pit and weed vacuum, but where are my snooker, cars, strollers, bunk-beds, normal playground equipment I can have in my sims' backyard??? I can continue forever.

10) Bugs should be managed. In ideal world tested and ruled out BEFORE releases. And please do not pretend they are features.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    1) World ownership
    I do not want a world my sims live in to be a stage decoration. I need to be able to change it and decorate it. I want to decide which weather, terrain paint and deco are suitable for a world myself. Even this feature alone could make a gameplay much more versatile. Grunge or Victorian or Country or City this should be my preference. I need to have an opportunity to place my own lots and decide on their size.

2) Option to tweak and disable features.
    Once again. I like to decide things in my game myself. Age, length of a season, presence of supernaturals etc. I want them all controllable! In Sims series each of games has some cons and pros in this department. I like how I can control some features (like aging of NPCs) in Sims4 but I absolutely hate that I only have preset options for age and length of season and can't set them myself. Or that I do not have control over supernaturals like in Sims 3.

3) More "generic" sandboxy approach to design.
    Not sure how to formulate this in short... Let us design ourselves. Be it the most obvious Create a Style. Or other less obvious features. For example in sims 2 we had just Community Lot. No additional types, no building requirements and it worked! I didn't need a specific lot type for restaurant or shop or park, they all worked on a single lot type. And multipurpose lots were not an issue. Still can't have cafe and library both functional on one lot in Sims4 after 6 years... Or chats. I'm perfectly fine how in sims 2 "chat" is just a generic chat and accompanied by a meaningful thought bubbles and reactions it gives me pretty good idea on how it's going. I do not need multiple options for chat "about toys", "weather", "llamas" blah-blah-blah... Especially when they have almost zero variations in outcome. What's the purpose? Another good example is custom paintings like they were in TS2. You want a custom painting you put a jpeg in a folder and you have it.

4) No political correctness, please.
    I do not need to be educated, schooled, lectured whatever. I remember I was unpleasantly surprised when I saw on twitter how SimGuruGrant (if I'm not mistaken) commented on a question about absence of more "adult" features like goose, "dancers" at the parties, robbers etc... He wrote something like "we decided not to risk a lawsuit"... Well guys, I have bad news for you. It's called self-censorship. And no matter which reasons are forcing it on you - weather it's forced by authorities in Authoriatarian countries like mine or by minorities in Democracies as they are now - this is not doing any good to anyone in the end. I hate cancel culture and hate to see its impact on media.

5) Not everything is butterflies and rainbows. Let things be bad.
    Unfortunately I think only Sims 2 was good with Sims misery. The only thing I think I have against Sims 3 is that this feature was slowly reduced. And ended up nonexistent in Sims 4. Fears, job failure due to chance cards, aspiration failures were precious. And overall game should be harder - fires more deadly, food require mandatory ingredients, clothes shouldn't be free and so on... In the end as Tolstoy wrote "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." )

6) Personality.
    It's such a common place in all complaints now... What I mean when I say this. I do not want to decide every little thing for my sim, I do not want to imagine everything in my head and then act it out (in many cases with the help of poses and fake props). I want to decide in general on sim character and main features and see how it'll play out autonomously from there. Sim should be able to decide it's own attraction, interests, hobby, relationships with others and communicate all these back to me in the form of meaningful wants (and fears). Playing by sims wishes was a thing that many players were doing in the days of Sims 2/3. And it was really entertaining. That's what Carl is frequently talking about in his videos. Being in charge for every single plot twist and every single sim step is not always a good thing.

7) Integration.
    With Sims 4 business model it's really hard to implement, but why this should be my problem? At least they try with expansions, but not always succeed. If you are adding expansive features make them workable backwards. Swimming - all water should be swimmable. Apartments - I should have them where I want them in my game. Toddlers - I still want to shop for toddler clothes... So on. If it'll lead to fewer DLC I'm fine with this since they'll be more fleshed out and well thought. The matter is will the publisher be ok with this?...

8) If we are playing with life can we please play with the whole life-cycle?
    Each life-stage should be distinct, fleshed out and have value in it. Behavior, reactions, interests... all these should change during each life-state. There should be many interactions specific to age-group and between age groups. Children, teens and YAs won't behave all the same in same situations like chores, visiting different places etc... Also, you know, surprise, but children can do many things. They can ride bicycles, water plants, play many different instruments and so on... I feel like in Sims 4 children are a bit dumb... And in the end some minor but important features defining life stages like body hairs or teeth loss.

9) Real-life objects in life simulator, please.
    I can deal without a gigantic microscope, cupcake machine, ball pit and weed vacuum, but where are my snooker, cars, strollers, bunk-beds, normal playground equipment I can have in my sims' backyard??? I can continue forever.

10) Bugs should be managed. In ideal world tested and ruled out BEFORE releases. And please do not pretend they are features.

All of this and add a larger engine so we can load things in as much as we want. Be able to make our lots any size. Be able to change things in the world like sims 3. More sandbox, I don't like being told what to do in a party. Be able to set their skill level without a mod and turn off things I don't want without a mod. More realistic expressions instead of these over exaggerated ones. Larger worlds with the ability to make many lots. No fake backgrounds. My favorite world in sims 3 was called Beach City, it wasn't created by EA.
    edited September 2020
    Nushka wrote: »
    Because for the most part women wax shave and laser it out of existence men don't.

But I want to have the same hability to give Alex, a transmasculine sim, the same access to body hair that male sims have.

And Grace, my young media socialite, could look great making feminity affirmation videos with bright pink dyed armpit hair.

Why would you even want to take away the option?
    Post edited by Nushka on
    Happy simming!