Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest "flop" of the sims series?

Comments

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Nushka wrote: »
    After watching through JtB gameplay on YouTube I want to change my vote. No buildable lots, no aliens (it's just costumes), no kid aliens (not even costumes), very few color swatches on build tiles and wallpapers, no counters, kitchen or bathroom stuff, oversized buy items that don't really match existing ones. Linear storyline, no Woohoo with SW characters on Batuu...

Just an FYI, the alien costumes function differently. They are actually alternate heads that do animate in the mouth and eye areas. If you put them on your Sim, the Sim won't animate like they are in a costume with unmoving faces. They will look around and talk and stuff. They also get treated specific ways in Batuu, according to SW lore. SimGuru Romeo clarified this.

As for kids, there is a Jawa "costume" and it is incredible. Much better than the Yoda one. I don't know how it functions but it looks like a real Jawa from the film's.

There are also three buildable lots on Batuu, but you need to use the freebuild cheat.

The storyline is sort of linear, yes, but there are three separate paths to choose from instead of just one, like StrangerVille had. In addition, there are side missions that function similar to odd jobs.

The build buy is not domestic, definitely. Most of the swatches come in neutrals and muted tones, so some items could be used with other color schemes, like the rounded bar.

I know that a lot of this info is strangely difficult to find, so I'm just trying to help people get the right information.
    #Team Occult
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    LiELF wrote: »
    TS3 sim , just as pretty as any sim, from TS4 imo....and prettier (to me) since, i prefer the semi-realistic art style and features <3
    rRJ29Ae.jpg

You honestly don't have to go through the trouble of digging up pics. I've seen the pretty pics. I've also seen what those pretty Sims look like once they animate and they become the nightmare fuel akin to claymation shows from the 1970s. Their lips curl, their teeth jut out, their tongues loll, their eyes pop... It's terrifying.

Its no trouble. This is a discussion forum, its for discussing. It took 1 minute to pull up these photos :D Sims 4 sims make funny faces too! LOL LiELF
    Really nice job on your Sim. I have always loved the modding community. Sliders I admit I like a lot in the Sims 3. I like semi-realistic style too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    Other (please specify)
    TS3 sim , just as pretty as any sim, from TS4 imo....and prettier (to me) since, i prefer the semi-realistic art style and features <3
    rRJ29Ae.jpg

You honestly don't have to go through the trouble of digging up pics. I've seen the pretty pics. I've also seen what those pretty Sims look like once they animate and they become the nightmare fuel akin to claymation shows from the 1970s. Their lips curl, their teeth jut out, their tongues loll, their eyes pop... It's terrifying.

Its no trouble. This is a discussion forum, its for discussing. It took 1 minute to pull up these photos :D Sims 4 sims make funny faces too! LOL @LiELF

That they do! 😆
    #Team Occult
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 Base game (Pre patches)
    Nushka wrote: »
    After watching through JtB gameplay on YouTube I want to change my vote. No buildable lots, no aliens (it's just costumes), no kid aliens (not even costumes), very few color swatches on build tiles and wallpapers, no counters, kitchen or bathroom stuff, oversized buy items that don't really match existing ones. Linear storyline, no Woohoo with SW characters on Batuu...

Just an FYI, the alien costumes function differently. They are actually alternate heads that do animate in the mouth and eye areas. If you put them on your Sim, the Sim won't animate like they are in a costume with unmoving faces. They will look around and talk and stuff. They also get treated specific ways in Batuu, according to SW lore. SimGuru Romeo clarified this.

As for kids, there is a Jawa "costume" and it is incredible. Much better than the Yoda one. I don't know how it functions but it looks like a real Jawa from the film's.

There are also three buildable lots on Batuu, but you need to use the freebuild cheat.

The storyline is sort of linear, yes, but there are three separate paths to choose from instead of just one, like StrangerVille had. In addition, there are side missions that function similar to odd jobs.

The build buy is not domestic, definitely. Most of the swatches come in neutrals and muted tones, so some items could be used with other color schemes, like the rounded bar.

I know that a lot of this info is strangely difficult to find, so I'm just trying to help people get the right information.

I'd argue that if you need to cheat your way into modifying a build, it isn't a buildable lot and we don't know if doing so would mess up the story quests.

I've seen pics on how "alien" work in CAS and body colouring only reaches down the neck, up to the knees and up to the elbows. Kid sims get a cute Jawa costume but no heads or gloves to resemble their "alien" parents.

Simguru Romeo said being an alien would affect some storyline interactions in Batuu but what about other worlds? Can we even romance with aliens? And will kids from woohooing with "aliens" be treated as "aliens"? I doubt so unless you get them to Batuu and dress them up as "aliens". It's a destination world so no giving birth or adopting while on it.

Strangerville storyline was something they experimented and took a risk but wasn't that widely liked and, after playing it, you still had a world to build and play.
    Post edited by Nushka on
    Happy simming!
  • RionAgriasRionAgrias Posts: 305 Member
    Just a question, for some who bought the PC version at launch. The console version, when it launched, did not allow saving to work about 75% of the time for the first few months. Was that a bug in the PC version at launch? That being said, I almost wanted to throw in the console version for the first dev-cycle because they liked to keep the console behind not only on packs, but on patches as well. That is in line with making the game more console friendly in regards to its power capacity?

Otherwise, it's a matter of being far too subjective to choose one thing.
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I voted star wars because it’s the only pack I will never buy.

I didn’t get the sims 4 until a couple years after release. When I did buy it though, I loved the base game. I happily played it for months without wanting any packs, I only bought a couple when they went on sale.

Honestly, same. I bought Sims 4 in early 2018 - not long after they ported it over to console. I played for a long time with just base game and had a lot of fun with it. Then I bought City Living and played with just that and base game all the way to 2019 until I really started buying packs - and I still don't have a good majority of them. But I know I will never purchase the Star Wars pack.
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    Sims 4 Moschino stuff
    While Star Wars and My First Pets stuff is up there I chose Moschino stuff because it was a clear advertisement for a clothing line that I never heard of and then found out the majority of people can't afford. Don't even get me started that I had been waiting for the photography career and the only way to get it was to get the pack. Before I went back to Sims 3 the only thing I used from that pack was the career I found the clothing to not fit with my game play. I'm still frustrated that I payed $5 just for the career.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    i cant consider it a complete flop if the items are usable outside of the theme of the pack. i could use objects in other packs that are hated but star wars? its just too star wars for use outside of that.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    Tbh I can't hate Moschino Stuff because, despite being made of three things I hate (Stuff Packs, brand deals and content that could have been in the base game), they did it well. They had the wisdom/audacity to put almost no clothing from the brand in the pack, instead focusing it all around photography and fashion.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    This is a difficult choice, but this is my list.

1 Star Wars
    2 Sims 4 Base Game
    3 My First Pet
    4 Katy Perry Sweat Treats
    5 Moschino
    6 Strangerville

Star Wars has gotten me the most irate. It's such a waste.

Overall though, like someone else said, the base game of Sims 4 has such a bad foundation that everything they try to do is limited, involves ridiculous trade offs, or is severly lacking depth.

Moschino stuff was stupid, as that clothing brand is insanely expensive and very ugly, but at least it had the photography features so it wasn't completely out there. And some of the build items are nice.

My First Pet stuff, besides having a stupid name, was bad too. Why they thought this was a good idea astounds me. They used already free clothing, recolored it, and sold it as new. (Just get CC, it's free and better quality.) They added objects that so obviously were held back from Cats and Dogs, I don't care what they say. They made one small pet into $10 when they should have been in a larger Pets expansion... And of course, DLC for DLC is ridiculous, especially when the expansion had come out not long before.

Katy Perry's, to quote LGR, "is an atrocity and represents all of the worst aspects of the Sims series, from the lazy item design, to the stupidly high price, to the ham fisted cash grab nature of its half hearted celebrity endorsement." It seems like this is the pack that started the decline in all honesty, but it's still better than the others anyway.

Strangerville is kind of like a tiny version of World Adventures, with the scripted and linear stuff. (Of course, doesn't hold a candle to it.) It's whatever to be honest. I love the look of the town at least.
  • HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    I voted Star Wars but when I've started to write this I realize I was wrong. I should've voted Sims 4 Base Game. As it's a BASE which determines how freely we can turn DLC into something enjoyable and useful. Star Wars pack along is not a problem. Sims4 base need to be fixed.

Since Star Wars Game Pack is commonly compared to Katy Perry Stuff Pack I’ve decided to remember specifically how bad it was. And here you go:
    6a1ad054790cb8eeb3b8091bfb04def141b49225.jpg
    19820693a71a6648c6ff0638c310103d89980aaa.jpg
    9fa7ee15e4478d270a473e06f5c18d04235e295d.jpg
    9ee997cc36f8a90165060d0dbeb0336df795cc9a.jpg
    ca55ecd8ddd8c09d9876043ff6f556d296345c51.jpg
    CAS is mostly irredeemable (though my test sim is wearing KP outfit). But as for buy mode you can see for your self. Playgrounds, children rooms, cafes, I even managed to make an examination room with it. It goes well enough for me with everyday game-play. And it didn't force strange out of place gameplay on me either. But what is more important is BASE - in this case CAST tool - which make every object usable and tweakable to my exact liking.

I do not mean Sims 4 need CAST - I think TS4 engine makes it impossible. I mean the level of ownership I as a player have over my game. Give creativity tools for me instead of making everything a branded set dressing. If you think about it, how many mods Sims 4 have not to add something to game, but to REMOVE something from the game be it backdrops, sims behavior, CAS or whatever??? I think that's not a good sign.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    Didn't realize the base game was a choice. I probably would have chosen that.
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    Actually, I'd say The Sims 4 period :p
  • vcosleyvcosley Posts: 880 Member
    Other (please specify)
    All of Sims 4, it has had more glitches and patches only to add more glitches. It has had more patches then Sims 3 and less depth in games play. I've been around since Sims 1. The Sims 4 should have been an improvement on Sims 2 and 3, not take away the best features. I just don't understand. Now we're getting Star wars, as a vacation pack (really?). Happy Simming?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    I voted Star Wars but when I've started to write this I realize I was wrong. I should've voted Sims 4 Base Game. As it's a BASE which determines how freely we can turn DLC into something enjoyable and useful. Star Wars pack along is not a problem. Sims4 base need to be fixed.

Since Star Wars Game Pack is commonly compared to Katy Perry Stuff Pack I’ve decided to remember specifically how bad it was. And here you go:
    CAS is mostly irredeemable (though my test sim is wearing KP outfit). But as for buy mode you can see for your self. Playgrounds, children rooms, cafes, I even managed to make an examination room with it. It goes well enough for me with everyday game-play. And it didn't force strange out of place gameplay on me either. But what is more important is BASE - in this case CAST tool - which make every object usable and tweakable to my exact liking.

I do not mean Sims 4 need CAST - I think TS4 engine makes it impossible. I mean the level of ownership I as a player have over my game. Give creativity tools for me instead of making everything a branded set dressing. If you think about it, how many mods Sims 4 have not to add something to game, but to REMOVE something from the game be it backdrops, sims behavior, CAS or whatever??? I think that's not a good sign.

Thanks for your pics of how useful the Katy Perry BB stuff are. I love that game pack too for that!

• HarukotyanHarukotyan Posts: 513 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Thanks for your pics of how useful the Katy Perry BB stuff are. I love that game pack too for that!

Well I didn't remember that pack well. So I decided to check and was even surprised myself ))

edited September 2020

Well I didn't remember that pack well. So I decided to check and was even surprised myself ))

You did a great job! That pack has a bad reputation so not a lot of people would even venture to see if they can put it to use in their normal everyday play. It's like everyone forgot they can CASt everything in it!

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    Bought the pack, as I had bought everything for Sims 3 but never used it much. All others pale in comparison.

I don't think the Star Wars pack will be a flop though, far from it and only a surmise on the part of those who don't like it isn't it?
    Simburian wrote: »
    Bought the pack, as I had bought everything for Sims 3 but never used it much. All others pale in comparison.

I don't think the Star Wars pack will be a flop though, far from it and only a surmise on the part of those who don't like it isn't it?

You obviously didn't see this:

What the Katy Perry stuff pack has over Star Wars stuff is that everything in that pack is colorable and CAStable to use in any theme whether for a normal everyday style as shown above, or a more theatrical or fantasy motif or whatever else.

Everything in the Star Wars pack would have a much more limited use.

• pisceschick75pisceschick75 Posts: 540 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other (please specify)
    If you played any of the Sims games for Playstation 2...those!!!
    Is there a support group for Simming Addiction? I think I need it... :p
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

What the Katy Perry stuff pack has over Star Wars stuff is that everything in that pack is colorable and CAStable to use in any theme whether for a normal everyday style as shown above, or a more theatrical or fantasy motif or whatever else.

That's not really a fair statement. If TS3 didn't have CAST, Sweet Treats would have been just as unusable/limited for some people as Star Wars. You can't compare them based on a feature not present in TS4.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Camkat wrote: »

That's not really a fair statement. If TS3 didn't have CAST, Sweet Treats would have been just as unusable/limited for some people as Star Wars. You can't compare them based on a feature not present in TS4.

It is a fair statement, since create of style is a sims 3 feature. It's not a feature that is added by a mod, or cc.It is a feature that is already in the base game. So people using that feature to use katty Perry sweet treats.Its pretty much fair.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    What is wrong with Moschino? I think that it is good stuff pack. I really like possibility to be a proffesional photographer, BM items are nice, only CAS is poor for me.
    Camkat wrote: »

You're saying it's unfair because the comparison highlights just how inflexible TS4 is! Even the worst pack in TS3 is salvageable because of its ability to customize everything!

Sthenastia wrote: »
    What is wrong with Moschino? I think that it is good stuff pack. I really like possibility to be a proffesional photographer, BM items are nice, only CAS is poor for me.

I agree. I'm actually surprised it was in the poll.