Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Negative Feedback Thoughts

Comments

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited September 2020
    What's interesting to me is that the point system is actually faulty. I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this, but my personal 'Awesome' count goes completely ape-sneeze on Sundays. I've noticed this is a recurring pattern for the 3 months I've been here. About a 100 or more Awesome's are being allocated to random posts (on a Sunday) and then on Monday, just around noon, they're all gone again.

I know this, because one day I saw the counter drop with my very own beautiful eyes. It was hilarious to see (and I must admit rather heartbreaking to learn I'm not that awesome after all...).

Every Sunday I go: 'Woohoo!'.
    Every Monday I go: 'Oh'.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    To be honest, I've never looked at any of the counts...I have no idea what mine is lol
    To be honest, I've never looked at any of the counts...I have no idea what mine is lol

I'm usually not focused on this either. Just on the day that I noticed the counter drop -minus 100 in literally a couple of seconds- I began to wonder how this system works, what it means and what the point is, no pun intended.
    Since I need to understand the world when it's starts messing with me, I kept checking if and when this peculiar counter anomaly was going to occur again. And this is how I learned that good things happen on Sundays and bad things happen on Mondays.
    Now I'm at peace with it.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

I'm usually not focused on this either. Just on the day that I noticed the counter drop -minus 100 in literally a couple of seconds- I began to wonder how this system works, what it means and what the point is, no pun intended.
    Since I need to understand the world when it's starts messing with me, I kept checking if and when this peculiar counter anomaly was going to occur again. And this is how I learned that good things happen on Sundays and bad things happen on Mondays.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 do they deduct Likes or Awesomes gained through ultimately deleted threads and banned users? Saturdays and Sundays are usually pretty hoppin’ in here and then the hatchet comes down around 9am workday o’clock EST ha.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 do they deduct Likes or Awesomes gained through ultimately deleted threads and banned users? Saturdays and Sundays are usually pretty hoppin’ in here and then the hatchet comes down around 9am workday o’clock EST ha.

@popstarsley I thought about this too, although it acts the same the other way around: the addition of 100 Awesomes on Sundays goes just as fast. The only reason I notice this is when I suddenly get a badge for reaching a nonsensical milestone e.g. “you earned 500 awesomes” whereas 5 minutes before I‘d only have, say 320. And yet I get the 50 points reward, which often pushes me near the top of the leaderboard (I only figured that thing exists 3 weeks ago). Why would I get 100+ awesomes within a couple of seconds? No one can give me these points that fast, unless it was some kind of bot who loves me one day and hates me the next. 🤔
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    edited September 2020
    I wanted to rant about I was seing from EA GameChangers YouTube channels and I did so in a thread created for it. I didn't go to the possitive thread beause I'm salty about what they did.

Still, I got a lot of possitivity from threads like "what happened in your game", "things you didn't know", window stacking and future ideas threads.

Honestly, I've been seeing a lot of threads complaining about people complaining since EL was announced. I personaly loved the ideas and gameplay EL bring in but I get it's not everyone's cup of tea. It should be cool, the forum is an outlet to express our wishes, memories and feelings about the game. Why do you want to police them so badly?

This is the 3rd post I've seen this week about people complaining that others are complaining or questioning wether simmers even have a right to rant, complain or simply not blindly like everything about TS4. Just accept that we don't all like the same things, that some complaints may be justified (as much as I love EL the bugs and some issues are infuriating), that simmers will draw paralelisms between titles in the franchise and that if you don't say "possitive thougts, no negativity" when asking simmers for an opinion they will give their opinion and it could very well be neative.
    Happy simming!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    Nushka wrote: »
    I wanted to rant about I was seing from EA GameChangers YouTube channels and I did so in a thread created for it. I didn't go to the possitive thread beause I'm salty about what they did.

Still, I got a lot of possitivity from threads like "what happened in your game", "things you didn't know", window stacking and future ideas threads.

Honestly, I've been seeing a lot of threads complaining about people complaining since EL was announced. I personaly loved the ideas and gameplay EL bring in but I get it's not everyone's cup of tea. It should be cool, the forum is an outlet to express our wishes, memories and feelings about the game. Why do you want to police them so badly?

This is the 3rd post I've seen this week about people complaining that others are complaining or questioning wether simmers even have a right to rant, complain or simply not blindly like everything about TS4. Just accept that we don't all like the same things, that some complaints may be justified (as much as I love EL the bugs and some issues are infuriating), that simmers will draw paralelisms between titles in the franchise and that if you don't say "possitive thougts, no negativity" when asking simmers for an opinion they will give their opinion and it could very well be neative.
    Negativity is fine. It is the pile on of "majority" attacks with anyone who doesn't agree with them be it positive, negative, or anything inbetween and Guru or not. That is when there is a difference being toxicity and negativity. Wishing people to get banned or fired and franchises to die is an extreme cry for help and there are resources for that which these boards can't fulfill for people. These pandemic is hard on people and it has a huge influence on how any game is received this year. There is a difference between constructive feedback and just lashing out on others out of boredom. I think the best thing for Sims community right now would be competition that way people can have more options for entertainment.

Edited inappropriate phrase. ~Rtas
    Post edited by EA_Rtas on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    That is when there is a difference being toxicity and negativity. Wishing people to get banned or fired and franchises to die is an extreme cry for help and there are resources for that which these boards can't fulfill for people.

I agree, personal attacks should have no place in the community. There's a huge step between disagreeing and outrightly wishing someone bad. That's not a discussion but an insult at best and, I feel, should be flagged.

Still, I also feel shunning other simmers for disliking things in the game isn't the way. Disliking aspects of the game isn't a personal attack, it's just an opinion, you can argue, agree or disagre with it but forbidding them will turn the conversation into a monologue.
    Happy simming!
    Nushka wrote: »
    That is when there is a difference being toxicity and negativity. Wishing people to get banned or fired and franchises to die is an extreme cry for help and there are resources for that which these boards can't fulfill for people.

I agree, personal attacks should have no place in the community. There's a huge step between disagreeing and outrightly wishing someone bad. That's not a discussion but an insult at best and, I feel, should be flagged.

Still, I also feel shunning other simmers for disliking things in the game isn't the way. Disliking aspects of the game isn't a personal attack, it's just an opinion, you can argue, agree or disagre with it but forbidding them will turn the conversation into a monologue.
    Totally. I don't have many on ignore but when I do it is always related to beyond the games. Nothing wrong with putting some on ignore that are trying to drag you down emotionally. It is like if a guy dumps a girl for being too clingy and toxic towards a relationship. Sometimes people just decide to stop being friends with someone after getting to know their true colors. Dumping toxic friends is something I have learned to do with life experience with both people who have worked on games and those that don't. Animosity only last for so long before getting to know others better. It ended up making me have a happier life. Like the saying bad associations spoil useful habits.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    This is only tangentially related to the discussion at hand, but I think it’s relevant enough.

I’ll just leave this here in case anyone still believes that EA has any integrity left and deserves defending. This story just broke today.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-sports-ufc-4-gets-in-game-ads-a-few-weeks-after-release
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

@popstarsley I thought about this too, although it acts the same the other way around: the addition of 100 Awesomes on Sundays goes just as fast. The only reason I notice this is when I suddenly get a badge for reaching a nonsensical milestone e.g. “you earned 500 awesomes” whereas 5 minutes before I‘d only have, say 320. And yet I get the 50 points reward, which often pushes me near the top of the leaderboard (I only figured that thing exists 3 weeks ago). Why would I get 100+ awesomes within a couple of seconds? No one can give me these points that fast, unless it was some kind of bot who loves me one day and hates me the next. 🤔

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 hmmmm I wonder if the Likes and Awesomes are always counted live or if they’re pushed to live every once in awhile. Might explain why there’s a batch update. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Anyway.
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 hmmmm I wonder if the Likes and Awesomes are always counted live or if they’re pushed to live every once in awhile. Might explain why there’s a batch update. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Anyway.

Could be. And although it made me curious, this whole vote & point system is the least of my concerns in life.

The only reason it’s there is to keep the forum active since most gamers have a competitive mindset. For some it’s just like playing a game. Unfortunately this encourages several folks to engage in less constructive discussions.
    So_Money wrote: »
    This is only tangentially related to the discussion at hand, but I think it’s relevant enough.

I’ll just leave this here in case anyone still believes that EA has any integrity left and deserves defending. This story just broke today.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ea-sports-ufc-4-gets-in-game-ads-a-few-weeks-after-release

WOAH.

Sneaking in ads after launch so they’re not part of early reviews 🤣🤣 whoever the Chief Operating Officer of Clever over at EA is really deserves a medal for full shadiness at this point 🤣

It’s pretty bad form. 😅
    Reminds me of the Sims 4 starting those pop up sales ads on Simmers even if they have the packs. LOL

Oh? Does this happen in game or in Origin client? I don’t think I’ve ever encountered ads like this.

WOAH.

Sneaking in ads after launch so they’re not part of early reviews 🤣🤣 whoever the Chief Operating Officer of Clever over at EA is really deserves a medal for full shadiness at this point 🤣

It’s pretty bad form. 😅
    Reminds me of the Sims 4 starting those pop up sales ads on Simmers even if they have the packs. LOL

Oh? Does this happen in game or in Origin client? I don’t think I’ve ever encountered ads like this.
    It was happening in game. Pop up like this would show up even if someone had bought a pack already. It was annoying it would pop up every time you would launch the game. I mean if it annoys even business focused people like me you know the marketing is getting way too intrusive.
    kmzrknqo5lt41.png
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    Scobre Yes. Bring back the disagree button and in my opinion get rid of those silly points and/or even post counts. I swear some simmers constantly post etc just to bring that number up high. Like its some kind of status symbol.
    And you are right about covid. Lately my best friend has been my mail carrier and once a week the trash guy. :| Hopefully I will get to connect more with family soon.

No, I don't like the disagree button. It makes me feel sad when I get disagrees especially when it's anonymous too. XD If someone has a problem with my posts or disagrees with me, I'd like them to tell me in the 'face'. :P

Like, seeing how many people dislike my posts for whatever reason but not knowing why just bothers me, for some reason.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif

WOAH.

It’s pretty bad form. 😅

It was happening in game. Pop up like this would show up even if someone had bought a pack already. It was annoying it would pop up every time you would launch the game. I mean if it annoys even business focused people like me you know the marketing is getting way too intrusive.

That’s madness! I never had this and I’ve been playing the game since 2014.
    Ads should never be part of the gaming experience once it’s been fully paid for.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    If the box for personilized UI/ads is unchecked on the EA AHQ account page, those ads for unbought packs don't pop up anymore, for me at least.

When I first got involved with this forum it shocked me how unproductive most threads were. I played TS3, and read through most of the threads in that section. I anticipated discussions about game mechanics, in depth, more than the tips and guides found everywhere else when searching; but instead there were too many arguments on whether one game was better than the other, and the few who actully understood the game mostly just pushed mods on everyone, even on those not wanting them, and this on a forum for the actual game, implicitly the, so called "vanilla" game.

For a first impression of a forum it was a very bad one. I have later learned that a lot of the posters here actually aren't teenagers, as I first thought, but grown ups; but I could not tell that from the bad grammar, misspelling, aggressive troll logic, bullying behaviour and ignorance.

Reading the TS4 section was the same. Since then the rules have been updated, and there seem to be somewhat more presence here from the moderators. Without discussing the subject, since we are not allowed to do that for some reason; I must say that this forum looks worse than old MATY - at least the posters there knew what they were doing. The only forum that has impressed me of its moderation is Carl's, where they are hands on, have clear, sensible enforced rules, spelling checks and demand a kind demeanor, for the natural reason of expecting teenagers to join, since it is a child's game, no matter how popular it is with an older generation such as mine. That forum is also the place that has produced the most guides, experimentation and fruitful discussions on the game, besides mere fleating opinions, and this by ordinary posters, not just meaning Carl's own appreciated guides.

Though I of course have opinions of my own about the game/EA and sometimes very negative ones; there is a difference between voicing critic, and raging, attacking everything and everyone without logic.

I of course think that negative attention reaches EA, and in some way will effect their decisions; but am not sure if it actually is necessary to scream this forum down, bullying posters, shading specific people, instead of direcing the critic and protesting methods where they will have the greatest results. Exercising such behaviour just fosters a culture, that is then maintained, and introduced to new simmers coming to the forum for the first time, and so either recreated or just pushing people away. This forum is by the rules a player forum, for everyone; and not a place where the large part of players attending only press silly buttons of "like" and "awesome", instead of daring to post, afraid of being assumed to mean something concocted in a a bully's mind; and attacked, derailing threads everywhere.

I think this thread is a good initiative and that there are several good points presented here. Another suggestion to think about would be a section for Opinions - since the Feedback section to me hopefully is about the The Sims Team being given information on what the players want in the game; not inherently the same thing.
  • SantiagoWittSantiagoWitt Posts: 40 Member
    > @Nate_Whiplash1 said:
    > Here's the problem. Many people come here to talk about the fun times they're having in TS4, yet when you look at the board, more than half of the threads are complaint threads. IT'S TOO MUCH. It ruins the collective mood for everyone else.
    >
    > If people want to complain, that's fine...but can't we limit it to just a handful of threads instead of filling the board with them?

As a newbie, I totally agree. This place is a bummer most of the time. I was having a blast playing TS4 until I came here and found out how much people hate it. I bought TS3 yesterday and played it for the day. Holy cow, that open world. I see what people mean now. Gorgeous. But the game UI for TS4 is light years ahead of it. Omg, those social options in TS3 felt like Windows95. When I went back to my legacy challenge in TS4, it was like coming home. The game is lacking in so many ways, but the negativity here is a buzz kill.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    I see very few negative threads in the TS4 General. Unless someone is pointing a bug and or returning bugs, then yes, those who are very unhappy about TS4's bugs and other things do post in such a thread. The place we see negative threads are in Speculation, Feedback and the Franchise threads. If no one wants to see those threads then just stick to general. It's ironic so many are complaining about the negative posters but never mention where they read their negative posts.

If there is a complaint thread and it is clear it's about a particular pack, problem or just dislike of TS4's direction overall, why do so many positive defenders come into to those threads to defend TS4? We know you love it, why bother to even tell us again? We are talking to Maxis, not usually the public unless they have their own complaints to bring up in a discussion.

It is also ironic there will be a positive player post negative things about a new pack, however, are those who dislike TS4 and it's direction or the pack not allowed to post there, too, since it's about a negative reaction. Why is it ok for someone who does love TS4 to post a negative thread about a particular pack then not expect those who have stopped playing not to enter that thread? We still care what happens to this franchise, because there is no other. But have heart, once we see TS5, we will finally throw in the towel and not even be on that site, I'm sure. None of us who truily care about the direction of this franchise are going to bother even trying TS5 if it turns out worse than TS4. (multiplayer etc.)

Actually the loyality to TS4 is no worse than the loyality to any other, it's all like 'we've go elbows!' If none of you know what that means it's a line from Friends. It is atonishing to me personally, how any of us keep buying a bugged out fest over and over, it must be because we've got elbows. It's like over looking a hole in the floor when you purchase a new house, oh, it has so much potential, but that hole never really gets fixed. Should we not say anything about that gapping hole before the purchase is made? Just over look it again and again, and just squeal about a new hat stand?

Concerning that gapping hole, someone says, there is a gapping hole in my new house! Someone else says here is a mod, no, no bandaids, I want a the floor fixed, period, or I'm not buying. I didn't sign up for buy now, fix later.

Surely you can see how frustrating that is to someone who actually cares about the integerity of a product vs someone who will buy it anyway. And I'm not the one who said 'anyway' that was Drake who told us we will buy anyway, and I guess that's true.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Alright folks I've removed some posts from in here that were getting too personal, let's keep it civil.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Here's the problem. Many people come here to talk about the fun times they're having in TS4, yet when you look at the board, more than half of the threads are complaint threads. IT'S TOO MUCH. It ruins the collective mood for everyone else.

If people want to complain, that's fine...but can't we limit it to just a handful of threads instead of filling the board with them?

@Nate_Whiplash1 Well there might be a reason why they exist. Don't you think?

The reasons are immaterial, what is important is that 1) there are too many of these threads, and they clog up the board (they need to be condensed) and 2) as someone else on the forums already pointed out, there is a place for these threads (the feedback forums)

@Nate_Whiplash1 looks like the mods disagree with you 'cause they don't seem to mind.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Bluegayle wrote: »
    Scobre Yes. Bring back the disagree button and in my opinion get rid of those silly points and/or even post counts. I swear some simmers constantly post etc just to bring that number up high. Like its some kind of status symbol.
    And you are right about covid. Lately my best friend has been my mail carrier and once a week the trash guy. :| Hopefully I will get to connect more with family soon.

No, I don't like the disagree button. It makes me feel sad when I get disagrees especially when it's anonymous too. XD If someone has a problem with my posts or disagrees with me, I'd like them to tell me in the 'face'. :P

Like, seeing how many people dislike my posts for whatever reason but not knowing why just bothers me, for some reason.

I agree except for the ones using the insightful instead and at one time they used the LOL. Perhaps they need to remove all except for the awesome :wink: That way if someone doesn't like your post they will have to tell you why they disagree. But we can continue to "awesome" those simmers who deserve it.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited September 2020
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    I agree with @Nate_Whiplash1

I haven't been around long, so I'm wondering if it's always like this with each pack or is it especially bad because it's a SW pack?

People do complain about every pack, but they didn't used to complain this much. It gets worse for every pack, possibly because people are feeling more frustrated and less heard. I used to run to the forums after every release to see what glitches and problems came with the new pack, and to see what people really liked about it. Then I'd decide whether I was going to wait for a sale or not buy it at all, because I don't buy anything Sims 4 at full price.

This pack got the biggest negative reaction since My First Pet Stuff, so it's part long-time frustration and part unpopular pack. To be fair, the cash-grab sponsor packs usually get negative reviews.

People need an outlet for their frustration. They need to feel heard. When it turns into just complaints, it kind of feeds on itself. No one feels heard right now, so the complaints continue.

This is a good community. I keep coming back to it for that reason. We just need something good to rally around. The complaints won't go away because there will always be something that can be improved on, but once there's something the vocal majority LIKE, I think it'll swing back to the positive.

My suggestion: Make a really comprehensive farming game pack, with a world attached. Don't half-plum it. I'm not interested in farming, but boy would it make people happy, and that would make me happy.

4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    Here's the problem. Many people come here to talk about the fun times they're having in TS4, yet when you look at the board, more than half of the threads are complaint threads. IT'S TOO MUCH. It ruins the collective mood for everyone else.

If people want to complain, that's fine...but can't we limit it to just a handful of threads instead of filling the board with them?

The reasons are immaterial, what is important is that 1) there are too many of these threads, and they clog up the board (they need to be condensed) and 2) as someone else on the forums already pointed out, there is a place for these threads (the feedback forums)

@Nate_Whiplash1 looks like the mods disagree with you 'cause they don't seem to mind.

But are the mods the end-all be-all? The last time I checked, this forum was designed for player participation, not mod participation. I'm doubling down on my statement that excessive negative threads detract from the overall environment of these general discussion forums, and I'm far from being the only one that thinks so.

Some might say "well if you don't like a thread, don't click on it", but let me use an analogy. Let's say there was a 5 star restaurant with great reviews in town, but it was in the worst part of town, with crime and blight everywhere--how many people would still want to go?

And how many people (especially newcomers) will want to participate here long-term when there is so much negativity everywhere? It's creating a bad neighborhood.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020

But are the mods the end-all be-all? The last time I checked, this forum was designed for player participation, not mod participation. I'm doubling down on my statement that excessive negative threads detract from the overall environment of these general discussion forums, and I'm far from being the only one that thinks so.

Some might say "well if you don't like a thread, don't click on it", but let me use an analogy. Let's say there was a 5 star restaurant with great reviews in town, but it was in the worst part of town, with crime and blight everywhere--how many people would still want to go?

And how many people (especially newcomers) will want to participate here long-term when there is so much negativity everywhere? It's creating a bad neighborhood.

@Nate_Whiplash1 Well yeah but when you are saying and I quote "there is a place for these threads (the feedback forums)" like it's some kind of a rule people are not following then this is where the mods come in.
    Just say I don't agree with the threads being in the General discussion and that's fine, since you don't run this forum personally. If something is posted somewhere, where it "doesn't belong" it will get moved over don't worry about that.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?