Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest "flop" of the sims series?

Comments

• PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2020
    Other (please specify)
    _____
    Post edited by PreCiious on
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,178 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    Gotta give it to Katy Perry. Say what you want about the Star Wars pack but there are genuine good ideas there that had to have made the people in the room giddy just thinking about bringing it to life like Lightsabers, Droids, Making a creative looking world, meeting Star Wars characters etc.

The Katy Perry crap pack was just a stupid idea to get the biggest popstar (at the time) just to make your Sims and homes look 🐸🐸🐸🐸 ridiculous.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Gotta give it to Katy Perry. Say what you want about the Star Wars pack but there are genuine good ideas there that had to have made the people in the room giddy just thinking about bringing it to life like Lightsabers, Droids, Making a creative looking world, meeting Star Wars characters etc.

The Katy Perry 🌺🌺🌺🌺 pack was just a stupid idea to get the biggest popstar (at the time) just to make your Sims and homes look 🌺🌺🌺🌺 ridiculous.

In this case I strongly disagree 😋!! I love KPST.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    This was a tough poll, but I'm definitely going to have to say Star Wars.

I don't believe an external franchise should be the theme of any game/expansion pack for The Sims. It cheapens the franchise, and makes it feel too much like an pay-to-access advertisement simulator. I feel it also strictly limits the creativity of the developers to flesh out The Sims' worlds, characters, lore, etc.

Getting into the pack, the whole world is a dang shell. There are no lots; no room for player creativity and customization within the world. Shops are not even viewable and are instead pop-up boxes. Why did we go back to a closed world in TS4 if we are still dealing with rabbitholes and shell worlds?

And, lastly, the gameplay itself looks atrocious. More hand-holding, checklist, linear content. There is more gameplay depth in a match-3 game on Facebook from 10 years ago.

The Sims 4 is definitely in second place for me within this poll, for obvious reasons. I mean, the Wikipedia page for it has a whole section reserved for its many controversies. The Sims games were really on an upward trend of improvement (with some caveats here and there), but The Sims 4 was the first title to completely bomb and wipe away years and years of innovation for the title/genre. That's pretty significant IMO.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Thank goodness I now have a game that brings me much enjoyment. 🥰

I can recognize that sims 4 still has some major flaws, but comparing it to when it first launched to now, they're like completely different games.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Other (please specify)
    In my personal opinion, of the packs I have, it would be the laundry stuff pack. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought that one.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    My vote is based off the fact that the Katy Perry pack was disliked by many and eventually was discontinued. (I loved it, though.) MFP stuff pack sold well despite the controversy, apparently.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Sims 3. I mean, have you seen those Sims? :D
    #Team Occult
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Yes, little clayish nuggets with shiny skin - I love them to death <3

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Sims 4 My first pets stuff
    Probably one of the worst and least customer friendly things they ever did. The worst part is that people still find excuses to support this bad business practice.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    Sims 4 Base game (Pre patches)
    Definitely sims 4 pre patches.
    It was such a disappointment.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Other (please specify)
    LiELF wrote: »

Yeah I see them all the time on TV in TS4. xD
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    Sims 3's biggest dud's according to me o:)>:)

-Sweet Treats

- Showtime

- Fast lane

- 70s stuff
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    My first pet is better than Star Wars :D
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Star Wars isn't even out yet though, so we don't know for sure it will flop? There's a ton of views on the trailers that didn't like or dislike so there's a lot of people not saying yet. ;)

I don't think anything is actually a flop for the sims though to be fair. Everything they do seems to sell well, even if there is some backlash to some concepts or packs.

I did vote for the base game though just because for me, it took until they added toddlers before I'd even pay attention to this version. I was initially excited for TS4 but as information came out, and so much was missing, and I was happy with my TS3 at the time, I just waited and played that game until the base for TS4 was update to something I felt more worth my money.

By flop, I just mean controversial things. We all know that they could release a 10 dollar pack with only 5 items and it'd still sell like hot cakes 😂

That's about what I thought was meant. I still stand by my answer though with TS4. I think it's pretty good game now but that launch... :#

I don't regret my decision to stay with TS3 until that mess was fixed. I remember there was quite the controversy online at the time about it too as well. A lot of people were ticked off with all of the things missing from the base game. I think back then though, even though it was only 6 years ago, we weren't quite as vocal on all of the different social media sites so it it doesn't feel like it was as loud as the backlash now, but it was still quite the controversy. I think something like a pack that flops is less of a concern as well. You can skip a pack you don't like. Losing a base game sale is more damaging to their bottom line. ;)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 My first pets stuff
    The 20th anniversary, but I'll go with MFPS as that's up there aswell
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    When a pack is so unpopular with the community that the Executive Producer have to make an official statement. Then you have not really succeed in selling this pack to your customers. I would call that a flop, even if this pack will still sell. Even people outside of the community was starting to wonder what was going on.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    Star Wars isn't even out yet though, so we don't know for sure it will flop? There's a ton of views on the trailers that didn't like or dislike so there's a lot of people not saying yet. ;)

I don't think anything is actually a flop for the sims though to be fair. Everything they do seems to sell well, even if there is some backlash to some concepts or packs.

I did vote for the base game though just because for me, it took until they added toddlers before I'd even pay attention to this version. I was initially excited for TS4 but as information came out, and so much was missing, and I was happy with my TS3 at the time, I just waited and played that game until the base for TS4 was update to something I felt more worth my money.

I tend to agree and yester day Star Wars was not even in the lead but this morning there must have been an big jump. However for some it may be an flop if some find some features restricted to only that pack and cannot be accessed in other neighborhoods, so that by itself does not need no waiting.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    For me the most disappointment gave me Sims 3. I've gave it several chances, but I didn't like it either from the style or the handling. In the end that game broke several computers directly after installing the game, even when I did nothing else. That's mostly the reason why I have it never installed it again. Sims 4 prepatch, yeah, seeing the limited items and no toddler/weather had remind me on Sims 3 vanilla again. I'm started with playing Sims 4 three years later.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I remember playing on the first day of the sims 4 when it was just freshly released. And the newborn babies somehow become weird demonic spiders when sims pick them up from the bassinet :D
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    The replacement of the personality matrix with traits beginning in The Sims 3.

I should add that I don't think it is even close by comparison to any other change when it comes to a shift in the overall direction of the series.

At least The Sims 3 had actual traits 💀
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    All of them can share the biggest "flop" title.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,474 Member
    edited September 2020
    To me, Star Wars and Moschino are just as bad, but I think in general, people really dislike this Star Wars one.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    I am going by the sheer level of hatred, disappointment, anger to the response of the New Star Wars pack and it's not even out.

I honestly have never seen so many of you so angry and disappointed about over any pack. Eco Life Style and My First Pet comes close but the community's response makes me want to say...

"All Hail Khorn!"

Then I realised EA has no contract to screw up anything in the Games Workshop Franchise. I am thankful for that. That makes more than overjoyed and makes me want to sing and dance in celebration. I guess More tabletop gaming for me and with GenCon making me happy and more hyped than GamesCon for The Sims 4. At least GenCon announcements always make me happy.

EA jumped the shark with this one.

Instead of listening to the community on a whole of what we wanted they did what wanted anyways ignoring the demographics. Honestly, do they even have a marketing team or do they shake the Magic 8 Ball to figure out what they are going to do next?

4C's STP 5P's these are marketing terms that somehow EA's Marketing team failed to do or pay attention too or EA told their Marketing team to plumb off and they don't know plumb.

Me personally I hate pre-pack updates but I wouldn't consider them a flop. More so an annoyance and something that more often than not makes me want to take a break from playing the game for a while. They break the game even if and when we play vanilla. Instead of the update having minimal bugs, and issues it's buggy and sometimes makes the game completely unplayable. I get a ton of LastExceptions (EA oriented not CC and Mod related) and game crashes.With Seasons pre-pack update I couldn't even play the game vanilla because of the problems the game was giving me. Instead of us getting an enriched game filled with lots of added features to support the new pack we end up getting patches to fix things that are broken for months afterwards. Some things never get fixed as a result. Then more packs are added in continuing the cycle making the game even more glitchy and buggy.

To me personally, the biggest flop is no Anniversary Expansion pack for this year. I would have loved to have had that at the end of the year and nothing else but fixing the game. It's a worse flop than everything that has made the Community angry about all the packs they have given us this year.

First, the Community was angry about Eco Living

Next the Comunity was disappointed and upset about the knitting pack

Now almost everyone is (bleep) and this Star Wars Game Pack.

I hate to see how they end this year. Something tells me to hide in a bunker because things are about to get nuclear (metaphorically speaking) around here.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Honestly, I was between this and the My First Pet SP, but I chose the base game due to the fact that it took me many months to warm up to the core of The Sims 4, before the numerous patches arrived and managed to enhance the experience. I was comfortable sticking to The Sims 3 back then. The emotions system wasn't something significant to me and there were many, many things that were missing (toddlers, babies being the worst in the series, open world, color wheel and so on).