Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plumbellas review

14567810...Next

Comments

• pihwhtpihwht Posts: 39 Member

[quote/]Some got early access, others didn't. A weird move if you ask me.[/quote]

Especially considering that they gave it to Plumbella whom I'd expect to be straightforward.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    A pack based on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter wouldn't have turned out any better due to the tendency of the packs having as much depth as a puddle. Can you imagine? Diagon Alley & Hogsmead would almost certainly be 98% pretty set dressing (just like Galaxy's Edge), the play would be rabbit holes & missions that are basically checking off a list. I really doubt Plumbella would have been any less critical if it had been Harry Potter instead of Star Wars. In fact, I could easily see her being even more upset to see her favorite lore being given the "lick and a promise" treatment.
  • WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    I've lost some respect for Plumbella over the past year or so. I actually did like her footage, even if I do disagree with her narrative. I think it's a little bit hypocritical of her to not like the pack and claim "capitalism" as a major reason, yet she would be absolutely fine with a Harry Potter pack. Where is this line for what brand is ok and what isn't? For the most part I do like her videos and I do agree with some statements she's made in the past but I do take her opinions with a grain of salt. She can dislike it for other reasons, (not being into Star Wars, not liking the CAS etc.) but capitalism because it's a franchise, with all that HP memorabilia in the background, is just making her look like a hypocrite.

Different circumstances. Disney is waaaaaaay too widespread and the pack truly seems like it's trying to replicate the theme park experience in terms of layout and structure rather than actually give us a true Star Wars experience.

Pluuuuuus, a Harry Potter pack would be more true to The Sims experience, with lots of elements of Supernatural & School.

Personal bias.

"More true to the Sims experience"? Only according to your own personal preferences. It doesn't stand.

It's not a different circumstance at all. Whether it's Harry Potter, Star Wars, DC Comics, Twilight, or anything else. A brand is a brand. Capitalism is capitalism. And Plumbella's review, according to much of her own reasoning, is hypocritical. That's not attacking her. It's pointing out the error in her argument. Agreeing with her just because she's Plumbella, and is known for constructive criticism on Sims 4, doesn't make it any less hypocritical.

Now, if she'd just said she didn't like Star Wars and thought it was a bad idea because it only appeals to special interests, fine. But she claimed capitalism.

Nope, not personal bias. I can't remember a space pack off the top of my head but I do remember ton of university and school packs & even more magic related packs.

I made sure to be objective when I said 'true to The Sims experience'.

You are still basing "the Sims experience" on your own preferences, which seem to be to stick to the same staples that have come before, so that's not objective. You're trying to define what the Sims "should" be. Except that every Sims game has added new things, new ideas so there really is no way to define what "belongs" anymore. Of course Sims 4 is also going to add new ideas. Why wouldn't it? You don't have to like it, but again, that's still personal preference. Not everyone liked all of Sims 3's themes either. Every pack is not a "one size fits all".

Each iteration of The Sims has added these packs so, yes it is a staple of The Sims experience.

I really cannot remember when the Sims had a gameplay pack focused on a specific brand like this before.

Game Packs are a The Sims 4 thing anyways lol
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I've lost some respect for Plumbella over the past year or so. I actually did like her footage, even if I do disagree with her narrative. I think it's a little bit hypocritical of her to not like the pack and claim "capitalism" as a major reason, yet she would be absolutely fine with a Harry Potter pack. Where is this line for what brand is ok and what isn't? For the most part I do like her videos and I do agree with some statements she's made in the past but I do take her opinions with a grain of salt. She can dislike it for other reasons, (not being into Star Wars, not liking the CAS etc.) but capitalism because it's a franchise, with all that HP memorabilia in the background, is just making her look like a hypocrite.

Different circumstances. Disney is waaaaaaay too widespread and the pack truly seems like it's trying to replicate the theme park experience in terms of layout and structure rather than actually give us a true Star Wars experience.

Pluuuuuus, a Harry Potter pack would be more true to The Sims experience, with lots of elements of Supernatural & School.

Personal bias.

"More true to the Sims experience"? Only according to your own personal preferences. It doesn't stand.

It's not a different circumstance at all. Whether it's Harry Potter, Star Wars, DC Comics, Twilight, or anything else. A brand is a brand. Capitalism is capitalism. And Plumbella's review, according to much of her own reasoning, is hypocritical. That's not attacking her. It's pointing out the error in her argument. Agreeing with her just because she's Plumbella, and is known for constructive criticism on Sims 4, doesn't make it any less hypocritical.

Now, if she'd just said she didn't like Star Wars and thought it was a bad idea because it only appeals to special interests, fine. But she claimed capitalism.

Nope, not personal bias. I can't remember a space pack off the top of my head but I do remember ton of university and school packs & even more magic related packs.

You are still basing "the Sims experience" on your own preferences, which seem to be to stick to the same staples that have come before, so that's not objective. You're trying to define what the Sims "should" be. Except that every Sims game has added new things, new ideas so there really is no way to define what "belongs" anymore. Of course Sims 4 is also going to add new ideas. Why wouldn't it? You don't have to like it, but again, that's still personal preference. Not everyone liked all of Sims 3's themes either. Every pack is not a "one size fits all".

Each iteration of The Sims has added these packs so, yes it is a staple of The Sims experience.

I really cannot remember when the Sims had a gameplay pack focused on a specific brand like this before.

Game Packs are a The Sims 4 thing anyways lol

This is why I said gameplay pack. Because they have included branded "stuff" in the past but never branded "gameplay" that's definitely new.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Personal bias.

That's like saying Seasons & Pets are not part of The Sims experience now.

I'm literally stating facts. If you don't like these packs that's obviously fine but to disregard them as a big part of The Sims is just ignorance.

I wasn't disregarding anything. You claimed that Harry Potter would be "truer" to the Sims experience, but the Sims experience is always changing and adding with each iteration. And by your own argument, Harry Potter isn't any truer than Star Wars. We've had sci-fi since Sims 1.

Again, Harry Potter has more elements in-common with The Sims staples (AGAIN, just because it doesn't apply to everyone, it in no way invalidates it as a staple) such as university, school & magic than Star Wars ever will.

New experiences being added and explored with each iteration doesn't change that fact. The Star Wars pack doesn't have even space going for it, it's just another Strangerville/Jungle Adventure style with a franchise dressing on top.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • > @Wulfsimmer said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Again, Harry Potter has more elements in-common with The Sims staples (AGAIN, just because it doesn't apply to everyone, it in no way invalidates it as a staple) such as university, school & magic than Star Wars ever will.
    >
    > New experiences being added and explored with each iteration doesn't change that fact. The Star Wars pack doesn't have even space going for it, it's just another Strangerville/Jungle Adventure style with a franchise dressing on top.

I always thought Makin' Magic does a good job kinda channeling Harry Potter, I guess that's why it would fit better with The Sims.

Personal bias.

I'm literally stating facts. If you don't like these packs that's obviously fine but to disregard them as a big part of The Sims is just ignorance.

I wasn't disregarding anything. You claimed that Harry Potter would be "truer" to the Sims experience, but the Sims experience is always changing and adding with each iteration. And by your own argument, Harry Potter isn't any truer than Star Wars. We've had sci-fi since Sims 1.

New experiences being added and explored with each iteration doesn't change that fact. The Star Wars pack doesn't have even space going for it, it's just another Strangerville/Jungle Adventure style with a franchise dressing on top.

I can't believe they thought it would be a good idea to make a Star Wars pack without space exploration. What the actual ****?
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    edited September 2020

If my sims could have flown through the stars and space , in the universe , and the player could actually see from the first person point of view of their character in a non rabbit hole spaceship?...whoa! i might not have bought it , but i sure would have appreciated it. but thats expecting wayyyy to much effort and detail from The Sims, even sims 3 wouldnt have done that . I hope sims 5 has impressive features like that.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member

Personal bias.

Again, Harry Potter has more elements in-common with The Sims staples (AGAIN, just because it doesn't apply to everyone, it in no way invalidates it as a staple) such as university, school & magic than Star Wars ever will.

I disagree, but I think we've exhausted the argument so I'll leave it at that. :)
    #Team Occult
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited September 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    The forums: Game Changers don't speak for us!

Also the forums: This Game Changer's review validates my opinion as the singular, objective truth!

You're literally further reinforcing our point. The fact that EVEN Gamechangers, who usually do as much as they can to find justification for the price and have a slightly leaned perspective due to not actually paying anything for the pack AND make money off of it when creating videos on the content, hate on it...That says A LOT.

Plumbella doesn't just mindlessly hate on it AND this is neither the first time she's honest about how she feels about a pack nor is she the only GC to do so. People who say that just don't seem to be watching any of their content / reviews unless a forum thread specifically points them to it and they immediately happen to agree with it.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me but I already know gamechangers come in different types and personalities and I agree (?)

Disagreeing to the "EVEN Gamechangers ... hate on it...That says A LOT" part. No, Plumbella doesn't usually do whatever she can to justify the price and there are others who don't either. I find that a misrepresentation of reality, as explained in my previous post.

I am not talking about Plumbella specifically though, she is the point of the thread but I was replying to someone who is talking about Gamechangers as a whole. Many have become more negative towards the direction of this game after the announcement of this pack and that's an objective fact.

Also, I never watched a Plumbella video before this, only followed her on Twitter so I obviously can't judge the change in attitude (if there was any change to begin with).

Yes that is my point. It is not an objective fact. Many have become increasingly more critical long before this pack, not just after. And like I said in my first response, those of us who have been watching their content more regularly, also before, are aware of this. So in a sense you're really just confirming what I started off saying, that people "who say that [it's recent or unique for this pack] just don't seem to be watching any of their content / reviews unless a forum thread specifically points them to it". ;)

It's not that serious, even MORE became MORE critical. Many used to be critical, e.g: (according to you) Plumbella.

After the pack announcement, more people joined in doubling down on how The Sims team are not listening, e.g: Pixelade.

I'm not talking about her, I repeatedly said gamechangers in general.

Lol yes you'll just keep ignoring the fact that you're simply wrong (which is fine, I'm honestly baffled as to why it's so important to you to keep arguing against reality when you're obviously not one to watch much of their content and aren't really basing your opinion here on any objective fact, as you claim 🤷🏻‍♀️). EnglishSimmer, lilsimsie, Plumbella, James Turner, Steph, Carl's - they've all been critical of packs or content before, just not all for the same reasons. And Pixelade just panders to whatever opinion is currently popular tbh, so he too has had quite a few negative videos before.

Here's a few examples:

"I think The Sims 4 has some major issues" (English simmer, 3 months ago)
    https://youtu.be/sk85rBuosbU

"Sims in The Sims 4 are boring" (lilsimsie, 5 months ago)
    https://youtu.be/8OWTv05grFA

"The Sims 4 gameplay could be better. Here's how" (Carl's Sims Guide, 10 months ago - and he is generally pretty critical about the game and all the recent packs)
    https://youtu.be/O41yW6qlOIM

"What happened to The Sims?" (James Turner, 11 months ago - it's more about BB quality but they all have their own focus areas)
    https://youtu.be/kg_3uOst1sg
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »

Personal bias.

Katy perry sweet treats and loads of people complained about that one too. was a stuff pack though

@ladybreid Yeah that was a stuff pack. It was not like we were playing through Katy Perry's career

True, plus Ikea. But SPs cost 20 at the time so price-wise no difference. That being said, I would have bought an Ikea pack and won't be buying this so 😂
    edited September 2020
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    The forums: Game Changers don't speak for us!

Also the forums: This Game Changer's review validates my opinion as the singular, objective truth!

You're literally further reinforcing our point. The fact that EVEN Gamechangers, who usually do as much as they can to find justification for the price and have a slightly leaned perspective due to not actually paying anything for the pack AND make money off of it when creating videos on the content, hate on it...That says A LOT.

Plumbella doesn't just mindlessly hate on it AND this is neither the first time she's honest about how she feels about a pack nor is she the only GC to do so. People who say that just don't seem to be watching any of their content / reviews unless a forum thread specifically points them to it and they immediately happen to agree with it.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me but I already know gamechangers come in different types and personalities and I agree (?)

Disagreeing to the "EVEN Gamechangers ... hate on it...That says A LOT" part. No, Plumbella doesn't usually do whatever she can to justify the price and there are others who don't either. I find that a misrepresentation of reality, as explained in my previous post.

I am not talking about Plumbella specifically though, she is the point of the thread but I was replying to someone who is talking about Gamechangers as a whole. Many have become more negative towards the direction of this game after the announcement of this pack and that's an objective fact.

Also, I never watched a Plumbella video before this, only followed her on Twitter so I obviously can't judge the change in attitude (if there was any change to begin with).

Yes that is my point. It is not an objective fact. Many have become increasingly more critical long before this pack, not just after. And like I said in my first response, those of us who have been watching their content more regularly, also before, are aware of this. So in a sense you're really just confirming what I started off saying, that people "who say that [it's recent or unique for this pack] just don't seem to be watching any of their content / reviews unless a forum thread specifically points them to it". ;)

It's not that serious, even MORE became MORE critical. Many used to be critical, e.g: (according to you) Plumbella.

After the pack announcement, more people joined in doubling down on how The Sims team are not listening, e.g: Pixelade.

I'm not talking about her, I repeatedly said gamechangers in general.

Lol yes you'll just keep ignoring the fact that you're simply wrong (which is fine, I'm honestly baffled as to why it's so important to you to keep arguing against reality when you're obviously not one to watch much of their content and aren't really basing your opinion here on any objective fact, as you claim 🤷🏻‍♀️). EnglishSimmer, lilsimsie, Plumbella, James Turner, Steph, Carl's - they've all been critical of packs or content before, just not all for the same reasons. And Pixelade just panders to whatever opinion is currently popular tbh, so he too has had quite a few negative videos before.

Here's a few examples:

"I think The Sims 4 has some major issues" (English simmer, 3 months ago)
    https://youtu.be/sk85rBuosbU

"Sims in The Sims 4 are boring" (lilsimsie, 5 months ago)
    https://youtu.be/8OWTv05grFA

"The Sims 4 gameplay could be better. Here's how" (Carl's Sims Guide, 10 months ago - and he is generally pretty critical about the game and all the recent packs)
    https://youtu.be/O41yW6qlOIM

"What happened to The Sims?" (James Turner, 11 months ago - it's more about BB quality but they all have their own focus areas)
    https://youtu.be/kg_3uOst1sg

Holy crap??? You don't get it?? I said I agreed and acknowledged it repeatedly and further added to your point stating more joined that train.

What's not clicking?

ETA:
    Pixelade doesn't really pander. He is 24/7 hating on this pack on Twitter repeatedly and repeatedly even though people complained saying they get it. He doesn't even like the new letter they released. Ignoring him as well, there are still others who became more critical. It's really not that complex of an argument.

I genuinely agreed with you and still do, I'm just expanding on your point.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    She pretty much summed up everything I was expecting from this pack from the second I saw the reveal trailer. All set decoration with repetitive "quests" and no depth whatsoever.
    She pretty much summed up everything I was expecting from this pack from the second I saw the reveal trailer. All set decoration with repetitive "quests" and no depth whatsoever.

Exactly. It's pretty simple. Don't understand where someone could disagree there.