Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest "flop" of the sims series?

Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
Hey guys, what is the biggest "flop" in the sims series? By flop, I mean things that are considered highly controversial. Please keep in mind that things you may find awful, someone else may actually enjoy or even love. This entire thread is all opinion-based and contains a list of controversial subjects in sims history. That being said, try to respect each other's opinions. This thread is meant to be light hearted and funny, please do not let it derail into flaming.

e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
Post edited by EA_Rtas on

Biggest "flop" of the sims series? 265 votes

Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
16%
Akl500Pbshag4lvjasasimsGalacticGalYunaIceyJSimburianelanorbretonfriendlysimmersRadioAChickenSavorySageSirenLuminosMindofyladybreidMissyHissyAquariusMomlisasc360Alwe1507ChampandGirlieAdria22 44 votes
Sims 4 Base game (Pre patches)
26%
BluegayleGoldmoldarsketchesalexspoom13Cabelle1863Colorist40AyradyssCamkatIsb917amchristianelemmeleCynnasimgirl1010Magdaleenadrake_mccartyfruitsbasket101NausEuryphaessagothprincess4everGabbyGirlJ 70 votes
Sims 4 Strangerville
0%
wynette85 1 vote
Sims 4 Star Wars
38%
auroraael14caitlinx00Jderrick094JaseorangeplumbobJueJueMi9shaoscarEarcatGdurmababajayneSageRainWillowhaneulAnmirlaasa144BayalynnfreindlylolkeFUNKNEY101IObelleWyrrenEcho17121 101 votes
Sims 4 Moschino stuff
1%
Cinebarcharmed4life4discoduck227katrinasforestL33tP33tNW 5 votes
Sims 4 My first pets stuff
8%
KamioicmnfrshKhariijeepjeepcatPlatinumblondeJestTruN0NoTToN0NRamblineRosebixtersOnversersnowgirly22sillyangel0906NationalPokedexchacceloutredordreamprisonerChicklet453681DrakosTTNsimmerSimmerGeorge 22 votes
Other (please specify)
8%
pisceschick75sims2freak737Gothangelalanmichael1vcosleySailorCeticatitude5CAPTAIN_NXR7WaytoomanyUIDsEnkiSchmidtOldeseadoggeStutumLiELFLosaruTaiyoj1z1OEII1001superkyle221PreCiiousAbeericKimmer 22 votes

Comments

• SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Eco lifestyle. I’m not excited about Star Wars, but I’ll probably buy it for items. The entire premise behind EL is horrible. It’ll be the only one I absolutely won’t get.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    If I had to pick solely controversial, I'd have to say 4's GP9. I have not seen anything quite like the backlash on this one for the Sims. It kind of reminds me of the original Sonic movie trailer. Not even EL went like this. Sure, some people like it, but there is that someone for everything.

However, if we are talking about a "flop" in the broader sense, then it is the base game. As someone that has played since the first entry, I've restarted with every base by itself and 4's is the worst in my opinion-- and I abandoned 3 until the pets expansion. I played 3, ignoring 4, until I switched over to my laptop full time and had to give it up.

Even though Sims 4 has sold well, it is a flop because of its limitations. It has become a bit of a defense now that the game simply cannot do the things its predecessors could because of its fragile foundation, which is a little confusing for me, but I digress. Even with each chunk of missing content added through patches, it feels like it is always trying to play catch up rather than setting ambitions for 5 and these limitations restrict the scope of all the produced packs. Much of the disappointment can be traced back here, so the base game has to shoulder the burden of its packs being "flops", wherein lies the excuse of a poor foundation.

In short, the apple does not fall far from the tree. Bad decisions will always be bad decisions, but packs will find it difficult to shine without a proper foundation.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Star Wars isn't even out yet though, so we don't know for sure it will flop? There's a ton of views on the trailers that didn't like or dislike so there's a lot of people not saying yet. ;)

I don't think anything is actually a flop for the sims though to be fair. Everything they do seems to sell well, even if there is some backlash to some concepts or packs.

I did vote for the base game though just because for me, it took until they added toddlers before I'd even pay attention to this version. I was initially excited for TS4 but as information came out, and so much was missing, and I was happy with my TS3 at the time, I just waited and played that game until the base for TS4 was update to something I felt more worth my money.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Camkat wrote: »
    Star Wars isn't even out yet though, so we don't know for sure it will flop? There's a ton of views on the trailers that didn't like or dislike so there's a lot of people not saying yet. ;)

I don't think anything is actually a flop for the sims though to be fair. Everything they do seems to sell well, even if there is some backlash to some concepts or packs.

I did vote for the base game though just because for me, it took until they added toddlers before I'd even pay attention to this version. I was initially excited for TS4 but as information came out, and so much was missing, and I was happy with my TS3 at the time, I just waited and played that game until the base for TS4 was update to something I felt more worth my money.

By flop, I just mean controversial things. We all know that they could release a 10 dollar pack with only 5 items and it'd still sell like hot cakes 😂
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    I can't consider voting for the little Star Wars game pack, although it is hilarious to see how many downvotes the trailer has received to date.

LqVfUii.png
    I am watching gameplay video after gameplay video after gameplay video, before I feel if I've "seen it all." (Remember... Simmers mostly aren't storyline gamers — we're sandbox gamers.)

So, my vote is the big, whopping Sims 4 initial release, pre-patches. Womp, womp.

It's a coincidence I was reading these two Wiki articles earlier today? 😂
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_4#Ratings
    - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Electronic_Arts

Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other (please specify)
    Please, delete my vote.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Just one pack from TS3 ain't very much fair...

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »

I think it was the only pack from The Sims 3 that people weren't a big fan of when it was announced. Hence why it was a "flop" lol
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,571 Member
    The Sims 4 base game was so underwhelming I legit thought I'd just outgrown Sims games. I gave it another shot when Get to Work came out because I LOVE aliens but I still didn't really take to playing often. IT wasn't until Vampires came out that I started really feeling like I had a reason to stay.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I'll vote after I actually play the new game pack. I never bought sweet treats and for me it's too early to judge the new pack. Also, a pack in the Sims 3 called Diesel Stuff. I thought that was bad. I want to cancel all of the Sims 3 because it always crashed or got corrupt. I got tired of fussy with it. I would spend hours just to get it to load and then it would crash again. I quit buying stuff for it. I am glad players are enjoying it now.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    Only because of like others have said it was controversial. I enjoyed playing it once I got used to the setup. Although I do remember the huge mashup when Sims 3 babies came without legs, especially after the awesome babies in Sims 2. Was not a happy time on the forums.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other (please specify)
    The replacement of the personality matrix with traits beginning in The Sims 3.

I should add that I don't think it is even close by comparison to any other change when it comes to a shift in the overall direction of the series.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Ooh I think I misread, I don't know whether these were flops (one of them was certainly poorly received) but my least favorite packs have been Eco Lifestyle and Realm of Magic, I think they're the only ones I pretty much never play with, though the latter I was really anticipating.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    Nindigo wrote: »

I mean... There weren't any other controversial packs in sims 3 though. I can't help it the sims 4 team likes to make a controversial pack every year :D
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 4 Star Wars
    It's kind of hard to say without knowing sales figures. I hope Star Wars though so they will hopefully not make anymore of this kind. :D
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sims 3 Katy Perry Stuff
    It was Katy Perry for me and I like her music.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Sims 4 Star Wars
    crap I didn't see The Sims 4 base game option.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I voted for MFP because I don't like DLC for DLC and I think that it should have all been included (and more animals) in C&D.

Star Wars is not out yet, so can't really have a clear idea if it was a flop, even tho a big majority of players don't like the theme.

Althought KP did not have anything useful in it so it was really a toss up for me, but in the because of the DLC for DLC MFP got my vote.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    The replacement of the personality matrix with traits beginning in The Sims 3.

I should add that I don't think it is even close by comparison to any other change when it comes to a shift in the overall direction of the series.

I actually prefer TS3's traits over the points in TS2 because the large number of traits (over 80 or so) in TS3 can be combined in so many more ways than in TS2 so that you'll get a lot more unique sim personalities. As a young adult, you can choose 5 traits, at university up to 7 traits and with mods, even more per sim. TS3 traits also unlock different actions and reactions by themselves and also in combination with other traits and lifetime rewards.

• elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    I say it with a heavy heart, because I really do love TS4 -- it's my favorite in the series so far. However! The fact that pools and toddlers (and so many other things) weren't in base game is still astonishing to me. There's a reason it became kinda a meme, because... Like...c'mon... they were basic...sims staples... (for the most part...you know what i mean)
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Thank goodness I now have a game that brings me much enjoyment. 🥰
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I vote for the entirety of The Sims 4. While its definitely making EA money, I just think The Sims 4 from start until now has just been one big miss of the giant target.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I was tempted to answer release day TS4, especially since I actually did buy it on release, but I still think the idea behind MFPS is a travesty
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Other (please specify)
    TS4 Island Living, a pack without gameplay.