Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020
    Shinzen wrote: »

hands down this is THE best comment I've seen about the pack in any thread.
    Thank you for summing it up like this

Wow. Thank you kindly! :)
    kemowery wrote: »
    That's really not what this is like, though.

The Sims is single-player, and the pack is optional. So if you don't want this in The Sims, it doesn't have to be in your game. The existence of this pack doesn't make the Sims into Star Wars any more than the existence of a farming pack would make everyone have to play The Sims as a farm simulator.

This is not like the next Star Wars movie being a Sims crossover. It's like ... okay, back in the day there were a ton of Star Trek tie-in novels, continuing the story of the characters, adding new characters, etc. There were also a couple of crossover novels where the Next Generation crew met the X-Men. If you didn't read those novels, it did not change anything about the Star Trek universe at all. If you wanted that, there it was. If you didn't, you didn't have to buy or read those books.

I beg to differ.

The scenario that I provided was simply a reversal. It's not an exact comparison, but similar enough to get the point across. The chosen medium wasn't the focus. My focus was on the response of the fan base.

I agree that there is a difference between movies, books, and games. Which is why I believe that what's happening with JtB is worse. The thing with movies and book series like Star Wars or Star Trek is that they can go on ad infinitum. It doesn't matter if you don't like one or two, there are scads of other entries by all kinds of authors/directors and there will almost certainly be more. There's a potentially infinite source of material to discover and to enjoy.

On the other hand, by their nature, games are more finite -- the Sims in particular. There are no other games like it (at least not yet) and once an installment is over, that's it. The team stops supporting it and they move on to the next thing.

There will only be so many TS4 addons and then there won't be any more. That's a fact. As a result, there's a different kind of anxiety and urgency when the things that the community generally considers to be essential are constantly bypassed. Meanwhile, the lifespan of the game steadily shortens. It's more distressing when a finite source is expended on something that isn't part of a limited series and doesn't even try to be.

There is a reason that JtB is so sequestered from the rest of the game -- it's because it doesn't fit and it never did. The devs seemed to be acutely aware of that when they made it. Yet, they made it anyway. In the meantime, other things are bypassed, again, and more time is added to an already years-long wait.

Another difference between games, movies, and books is that movies can be rented and books can be borrowed. TS4 can't be obtained by either means. It is a significant monetary investment.

Can Sims fans skip the pack if they don't like it? Of course, and many of us are skipping it. That still doesn't lessen the perception of time wasted and of a countdown clock ticking. As of September 2nd, TS4 began its seventh year. Patience is understandably wearing thin.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    edited September 2020
    I have been watching the forums and Reddit like a hawk for the past few days. I have seen people instantly dive into the deep end and decide that now was the time to break the chains of anarchy, plunge themselves back into the old ways and start a crusade on the foul, loathsome heathens. I have seen a lot of people react as if Electronic Arts has kicked down their door, eaten their snacks, and then kicked their dog as they left, not even wiping their shoes before they had entered.

The pack may not interest you as a whole, the pack may not be your cup of tea, and you may never bother actually visiting any of the Star Wars content in the pack at all. There are many packs released for the game that have not interested me (Nifty Knitting, Laundry Day, Island Living) and I have never once made hundreds of posts about how no one wants those things because market research would point to the fact that people do want them.

If you do not like it, do not buy it. I know people complaining think that this statement is, I do not know, oppressing them or something, but that is how everything functions. If you do not buy it, it is not in your game. I actually heard someone say that they would disable the pack like James does. Why? It means they are still going to buy it. James disables packs because he gets them for free.

And now, for some unexplainable reason, I see people whining that the pack is coming before the skin tone update. They have to redo all the skins, not just the black ones. All of them are bad. When one method fails, these people nit-pick minor details that no one cares about to justify their hate of something that barely even effects them.

Perhaps, they are just being petty because, once more, it is not cars or bunk beds or anything minor that should not have an entire Game Pack based around it. I have no idea.
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Can already tell this thread is going to cause more fights :#
  • Options
    ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    There are quite a few threads of people detailing why they are upset with this particular pack, and it isnt all just because they dont like the concept. Some people are being hateful unfortunately, but there are a lot of valid opinions and criticisms being made. I think Plumbellas review of the pack sums up nicely what the issue is, maybe you could give it a watch?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Here we go again...
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    As I've said elsewhere, I can't speak for anyone else. The reason why I, personally, am "upset" over this pack (I only use quotes because I'm not upset, per se, but disappointed) is because I feel like it could have been better. For a $20 Game Pack, it could've been a lot better. Yes, it may be early to pass judgement, but that goes both ways honestly.

I used to be disappointed that it was potentially going to be a branded pack at all, but my opinion on that changed before it was even announced. So now, I only wish that there were more substance to the game (specifically the gameplay), because the way it is right now reads to me like a (admittedly very pretty) $20 ad for the Galaxy's Edge attraction in Disneyland. I've got other qualms, but that's the main one.

It's true that if I don't like the pack, then I don't have to buy it. And I won't (certainly not at full price, anyway). However, that doesn't mean that myself and others aren't welcome to express our disappointment in a Sims pack here on the Sims forums. Same as the folks who are excited can rightfully express said excitement, and I'm sincerely glad they are looking forward to it. More power to 'em, and I hope they'll get lots of enjoyment from the pack!

But of course, that's just my own personal opinion~ I understand it can be tiresome to see so much vitriol on the forums, which is why I can only recommend taking a break if it becomes stressful or a burden. Genuinely, it's not worth it. And I'm not saying that specifically to OP, but rather to anyone who does find themselves feelin' some type o' way about all of this. I definitely need to take breaks from the forums at certain times too, and there's no shame in that!

Hoping this thread can remain constructive. 🤞 All the best, everyone~
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    Honestly I see these negative reactions as first world problem. These people are doing so well, that they have the time to complain about a unwanted gamepack, while others have bigger problems in this world of crisis.
  • Options
    elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    Honestly I see these negative reactions as first world problem. These people are doing so well, that they have the time to complain about a unwanted gamepack, while others have bigger problems in this world of crisis.
    Couldn't resist. Don't mind me, just poking fun at myself, heh heh~

353pcyG
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Because it isn't Free Babies in Bunk Beds driving Cars on the Farm pack, apparently.
  • Options
    PinkSugar81PinkSugar81 Posts: 184 Member
    You have the right to like it as we have the right to voice our critiques and complaints.
  • Options
    puffyamiumi22puffyamiumi22 Posts: 77 Member
    Me, personally, I think that this could've worked better as a standalone game (i.e Sims Medieval). I like both franchises and I've seen individuals on Facebook, Reddit, and even the Paralives Discord express disappointment every day since this was announced. I don't plan on buying this any time soon because I don't necessarily see the benefit, but I hope whoever does buy it enjoys it.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Honestly I think some people just have too much time on their hands and take things too seriously. I'm disappointed by the pack aswell and it's not what I wanted but it is what it is. It's a game at the end of the day, it's not the end of the world. If I feel like a pack isn't delivering what I want I just don't buy it and move on. I'm not angry with it, just disappointed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    A lot of players are genuinely disappointed/upset. Unfortunately I have to say, if you don't enjoy TS4 by now no pack will change that. And Maxis/EA can't just stop making packs and only spend time on BG because they need to be profitable. Anyway, that's the majority of course. But then there's also the people who are fanning the flames on the forum because they realized it's an easy way to gain popularity. I disengage from discussions with these actors as quickly as possible.

I like TS4 a lot, but I don't think the game is perfect and I can understand anyone having issues with the it. I just wish the overall tone was a bit more amicable but I suppose that can't be helped in the current situation.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's a poorly done pack according to some gamechangers. Even if you love SW it's not going to make many people very happy.

One lot per district, most are fake backdrops. How many did I count that were not fake total in the world that they showed. Three. It's a vacation world.

Who would stay there more than a day or two? or even that long when there are like only three buildings.

Gameplay, no new traits at all. Why bother if the game isn't expanding upon the Sim? Isn't this called The Sims? Or is it a trend simulator as Lyndsay said?

New skills? Didn't see any.

As they said it's more of a do this, do this, do this, end of story and even that wasn't as fleshed out as even SV, even if someone loves scripted play and or even a linear game (which isn't always scripted) the pack was poorly done, let alone some of us feel this is not The Sims.

The world is 99% set dressing. Custom content is free.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted.
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,598 Member
    Enough of this "don't like it, don't buy it" thing. I mean, yes, but also no.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    LemDoodle wrote: »
    Couldn't resist. Don't mind me, just poking fun at myself, heh heh~

353pcyG

I don't mind it and it made me giggle too. :D I have to remind my myself often not complaining. Which is hard enough to say stop and relax. I come from a city where it normal that people complain much about everything and it said, if we don't complain about at least one thing, we don't feel well.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited September 2020
    It isn't just that the pack doesn't interest me. I never will purchase it. My issue is if they were already doing a pack involving the franchise, why have the star wars bloatware forced in base game? There is no need for much of the star wars CAS items and the crappy yoda in my game. I mod out items that I never use which are for such a niche audience.
  • Options
    RipleyrawrRipleyrawr Posts: 273 Member
    edited September 2020
    You're asking why people are upset but the very first sentence of your post is:
    NoTalent wrote: »
    I have been watching the forums and Reddit like a hawk for the past few days.

🤔
    iBVfjxN.gif
    Breadquanda is my spirit animal.
  • Options
    KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2020
    I’ve finally reached the acceptance stage of grief. It is, what it is. Ain’t going in my game but it is what it is, and honestly I’m glad it caused such a stink and that it’s making EA and the Sims team do things like post letters and acknowledge the fact that people aren’t happy. I’m also glad that’s it’s spilled over into the mainstream and all eyes are on the Sims team now waiting to see what they do and if they meant what they said and will put their money where their mouth is. Some people might not agree with me on this, but the Star Wars pack while not being great has sent a ripple through this community that has been much needed for the last six years.

I’ve also installed sims 2&3 agains, so I’m happy once more :#
  • Options
    alliehuealliehue Posts: 16 Member
    I'm totally excited about Star wars pack!!!!
    I told my millennial son all about this pack and he was displeased. Yeah I can understand why but I am a The Sims player and I am looking forward to swinging around a lightsaber or if just to hang it on my wall!!! and the sound effects!! I'm looking forward to that too!! I'm just a big kid who has been living on this planet for 59 years. Where is the millennial falcon when you need it
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited September 2020
    alliehue wrote: »
    Where is the millennial falcon when you need it

I certainly need it right now so I can escape this planet. 🚀
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Here's the thing: There are STILL lots of bugs and glitches in the game...I'm STILL having the DEBUG item problem and cannot make new communty lots,plus the bug has changed one of my base game items into a DEBUG item. That alone can be game-breaking for some people. It's not the SW pack people are upset at,it's all the game-breaking bugs,glitches and crashing that has people angry. EA/Maxis should of concentrated on squashing the serious bugs and glitches first,THEN they could of release the SW pack. Also,I imagine the SW pack would introduce MORE bugs and glitches,which means MORE unhappy people.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?