Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One Of The Gurus claimed it was their idea that they created the star war pack, not EA?

123457...Next

Comments

• TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Remember when SimCity recieved backlash for Online only gameplay and Maxis Said at that time in the blog post by Lucy Bradshaw that it was their idea to make an online game and not EA? Well after Maxis Emeryville was shutdown, a producer on a youtube interview revealed that SimCity will only be greenlight by EA if it was an Online Game, meaning that in order to be given the budget/signal to work on it, they have to make it online no matter the cost.

I have a theory that it is the same here, they know what people what just like on what SimCity devs do but they are not able to do what they want to create because of the imposed limitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu7cHhbqKcw this is the interview.

This is the blog post where it was mention that they rejected offline idea because it does not fit their vision, when in reality they are forced to made an online game.

https://www.ea.com/news/simcity-update-straight-answers-from-lucy
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I find it bemusing that some people don’t want to accept Lyndsay gave this pack the go ahead. Which given her position is natural and I say that as someone not keen on this pack.
    Is it because if accepting this pack means accepting that the Sim devs actually make what they want to make?? That what the community consider bad ideas can’t be blamed on a faceless entity in some board room some where but blamed on a dev team that people know and think are really nice people? It’s much easier to hate ideas if you can believe the dev team are being held hostage against their will and forced to make packs they don’t want to.

This is the problem with many of the dev team being so accessible online. People feel affection for them or feel bad for being critical of any decision they make because they interact with community and share snippets of their lives and refer to the community as a family. The lines are blurred are a lot.
    (My Husband is a game dev and he is not allowed to have a online social media account for work and he has to be extremely careful about what he does say publicly because they are very conscious of their brand being damaged)

The devs aren’t our friends, I’m sure they are nice people but we don’t mean anything to them. We are customers or former customers who buy their product. That’s it. Sometimes the devs make decisions about this game and we don’t like it. We don’t have the right to personally attack the gurus be in that scenario but we do have the right to not like it, to be disappointed or angry and the blame lies at their door. Again, that doesn’t excuse personal criticism of the devs.

The facts are Lyndsay has confirmed she decided it was a good idea for a SW pack.

Ninja confirmed they didn’t have their arm twisted by her to make a SW pack.

Grant and I’m pretty sure Lyndsay have spoken in the past they have a lot of creative freedom with packs and the content they make.

If you don’t like This pack, place blame at the appropriate people. Just don’t be a jerk to them.

I find it bemusing that some people don’t want to accept Lyndsay gave this pack the go ahead. Which given her position is natural and I say that as someone not keen on this pack.
    Is it because if accepting this pack means accepting that the Sim devs actually make what they want to make?? That what the community consider bad ideas can’t be blamed on a faceless entity in some board room some where but blamed on a dev team that people know and think are really nice people? It’s much easier to hate ideas if you can believe the dev team are being held hostage against their will and forced to make packs they don’t want to.

This is the problem with many of the dev team being so accessible online. People feel affection for them or feel bad for being critical of any decision they make because they interact with community and share snippets of their lives and refer to the community as a family. The lines are blurred are a lot.
    (My Husband is a game dev and he is not allowed to have a online social media account for work and he has to be extremely careful about what he does say publicly because they are very conscious of their brand being damaged)

The devs aren’t our friends, I’m sure they are nice people but we don’t mean anything to them. We are customers or former customers who buy their product. That’s it. Sometimes the devs make decisions about this game and we don’t like it. We don’t have the right to personally attack the gurus be in that scenario but we do have the right to not like it, to be disappointed or angry and the blame lies at their door. Again, that doesn’t excuse personal criticism of the devs.

The facts are Lyndsay has confirmed she decided it was a good idea for a SW pack.

Ninja confirmed they didn’t have their arm twisted by her to make a SW pack.

Grant and I’m pretty sure Lyndsay have spoken in the past they have a lot of creative freedom with packs and the content they make.

If you don’t like This pack, place blame at the appropriate people. Just don’t be a 🌺🌺🌺🌺 to them.

@MidnightAura

A Bit off Topic, but what games did your husband work so far? I am interested!
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2020
    troshalom wrote: »

It tickles me that folks refuse to believe the Sims team decided to do this on their own. Heck some folks might be shocked if it was disclosed the Sims team went to the EA team managing the SW contract and presented this GP to them and then got the go ahead do develop it.

Of course the devs had a large say in it, people have been saying this for years but for some reason others have created the narrative that the gurus were being held against their will and other simmers have just chosen to believe it. People need to stop babying the dev teams and allow all of the responsible parties of a poor game or DLC to take their share of the blame, though we already know how the gurus respond to the simplest of complaints; retreating into the twitter hivemind - fingers in ears, humming "I can't hear you".
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    @TS1299 @MidnightAura

Hey not to sound rude but that’s probably a convo best kept to private message. The Sims forums is a fairly safe place but the specifics of one’s (or their significant other’s) career isn’t something to discuss on a public forum. Never know the intentions of everyone else who can see that info.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Remember when SimCity recieved backlash for Online only gameplay and Maxis Said at that time in the blog post by Lucy Bradshaw that it was their idea to make an online game and not EA? Well after Maxis Emeryville was shutdown, a producer on a youtube interview revealed that SimCity will only be greenlight by EA if it was an Online Game, meaning that in order to be given the budget/signal to work on it, they have to make it online no matter the cost.

I have a theory that it is the same here, they know what people what just like on what SimCity devs do but they are not able to do what they want to create because of the imposed limitation.

This is the blog post where it was mention that they rejected offline idea because it does not fit their vision, when in reality they are forced to made an online game.

Yes, the truth always comes out after the fact.

Here is an article that talks about product placement in video games. Those deals are always done with the publisher, not a game studio unless they are independent of a game publisher. In the current case, Maxis is no longer a separate entity, but owned by EA.

Oliver Skinner
    June 30, 2020

4. Product Placement and Gameplay Intertwined

The deals that brands strike with major video game publishers don’t just have the power to boost or tarnish their reputation, but they can also translate to a significant amount of real-world outcomes and financial gain. The in-game advertising platform Bidstack has helped mega publishers like Sega sell native in-stadium ads in game franchises such as EA Sports’ FIFA series, a deal that has been pursued by the likes of the Vanarama National League, a soccer league in England. Inclusion in FIFA 2020 would be a game-changer for the league:

“On the off-chance EA decided to include their modest but well-attended stadiums,” observes John McCarthy in The Drum, “those clubs would draw revenue from in-game dynamic advertising. In turn, the clubs (and their partners) would greatly increase their digital and social footprints, attracting commercial opportunities and supporters.”

So the Star Wars game pack is a lot like what is being described here with FIFA, another game franchise under EA's belt. It is product placement and gameplay intertwined with the deal struck at the publisher level.

It's not a bad thing in itself and EA shouldn't be hiding behind the SimGuru devs. It's just the release of this Star Wars game pack was pretty ill-timed is all. They should have released something that all TS4 simmers having been asking for so long first. Then the SW GP would have been more well received.

• BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020

This is exactly what I believe happens. Sure they have some freedom but not as much as people might think (in my opinion) they cannot throw the company they work for under the bus. And as much fun as I'm sure they had on this pack, I truly don't believe this was not pushed by higher ups.
    And I also believe the company itself wants the constant push for newer and younger players.
    That gameplay trailer and narration was so glaringly obvious.
    9 out of 10 big time companies, if not more, are all the same.

Either way only the workers know the real truth. Both sides of the argument are otherwise just speculation and assumptions.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    @TS1299 @MidnightAura

Hey not to sound rude but that’s probably a convo best kept to private message. The Sims forums is a fairly safe place but the specifics of one’s (or their significant other’s) career isn’t something to discuss on a public forum. Never know the intentions of everyone else who can see that info.

I agree, it’s not something I feel comfortable revealing.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    Finbar659 wrote: »

All separate dlcs. Money grabbing.

What did you expect?
    Earlier versions of The Sims have done separate DLCs.
    Releasing a base game and then supplying the players with expansions helps keep the initial cost of the game down and keeps the game fresh You get a lot of content without having to fork over a truckload of money right up front. Not only that, you only need to buy the DLCs you like at a smaller price point.

I love the idea of adding to my games. But what we need to consider is how much more the base game should be starting with. I get that, originally, more ideas came to simmers and devs alike as they played through and continued to develop the game. It was really cool when they could add something new and original to the series (like weather, cars, university, swimming/diving/exploring underwater, etc.). But why, for each rendition since, does the base game not include these awesome features? I think it's laziness in the fact that they have been without competition. They know what simmers want. Think of the lack of toddlers in The Sims 4 base game. I rarely play with toddlers. But I had zero interest in buying a game that went backwards in terms of development. It's the 4th rendition of the original game and the game starts with less? Nope.

Now, are other aspects of the game better? Yes. Building, saving, transferring and editing sims in-game, etc. etc. -- there are many improvements! And the community speaks to these improvements (like they spoke with TS3's color wheel). Why are the developers/producers/game managers so willing to throw out those aspects of the game that have already been proven enjoyable by the community as a whole? It does appear that, especially with TS4, there isn't a true "vision" for TS4; it appears so haphazard. I mean, it started out being built for an online system that, we were told, would be an ever-present "limiting" factor for what the devs could actually do with the game.

Funny, but every time I've heard "the game wasn't built for that and it would be so hard to do" a modder comes along and does it!

Honestly, I always thought that the next rendition of the game would start out where the last one left off. Why not include Seasons and University in the next rendition of the game? Wouldn't it be better to have a working and well-tested base game rather than piling on code after code that should be already deeply integrated into the base game itself? Let's have life stages that are fully developed along with the tools we as simmers need to effect a life simulation. How many years have simmers been wanting a better education system overall? They could do this for us. Look at the other games that are out there -- Cyberpunk 2077 isn't a life simulation game, but they are packing the base game so well that it will play as a "finished" game.

I think that's my greatest disappointment with The Sims. I shouldn't have to buy packs in order to feel as if I'm playing a finished game. That's what the base game is or should be. Over the course of all the games I played, DLC was only ever adding to that -- and it was always optional to players. I think this is what's behind the bickering over every new pack -- for some, it's great and others, no so much -- but everyone of us is hungry for more.

Just look at the comments thrown out there by this community about the packs. "Please just bring out University/Seasons/Generations/etc. already so I don't have to hear about it anymore." If we all know what the community as a whole wants, how much more do the devs know? Or the market-research arm of EA? These people get paid to do this job. And they don't have any real competition to make The Sims shine anymore; they aren't selling it to us anymore. It's already a done deal.

On that note, let's see what TS5 provides when the time comes. By that time, in TS4, I'll have bought my way to a "finished" product over years. Will I be starting over yet again? Maybe TS5 will "promise" a better game! Maybe it will promise more intelligent and emotional sims! Better relationships! Better graphics! It'll appear so great that I will be lured in with that ever-present promise. So great that I'll not only wait years but I'll also pay EA to finish (and test) their game.

Well, I can tell you, I won't be doing that again. That said, it's not wrong of me either to wait and see what direction EA will take with TS5. My interest and curiosity is simply tempered by my own past experiences with the franchise.
    @TS1299 @MidnightAura

Thanks for the info. Gonna Keep it in mind for future references.
    @TS1299 @MidnightAura

I'm sorry. I did not intent to make you uncomfortable.
    @TS1299 @MidnightAura

Thanks for the info. Gonna Keep it in mind for future references.
    @TS1299 @MidnightAura

I'm sorry. I did not intent to make you uncomfortable.

No worries! No need to apologise!
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Even if she approved the Star Wars pack, that doesn't mean she's the main driving force behind it. You know what packs she was the main driving force behind? Parenthood and TS3 Generations. Please don't pile on Lyndsay and lose family play's biggest ally among the gurus.