Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discussion on recent SimGuru statements on Twitter

123457...Next

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think people forget how Will Wright was a Star Wars fan and how it inspired him to make the Sims. So without Star Wars I doubt most games including the Sims would exist.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/will-wright-teaches-game-design-and-theory/chapters/the-relationship-between-story-and-games#transcript
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,254 Member
    EA's new slogan:

"Don't Like It? Mod It".
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Missmagoo2 wrote: »
    EA's new slogan:

"Don't Like It? Mod It".

That IS the truth..

"Bugs? Let Mods fix 'em, ain't no body got time for that."
    logion wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    Nindigo wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    @Sharonia I'm sorry that you experience so much bugginess. I don't know why, but I don't experience all that in my game. So, I can't really complain about it.

Take a look at the official bug reports forum and then you’ll have an objective perspective on just how bad things are. Even if, by some miracle, you don’t experience any of these issues, that kind of long-term negligence shouldn’t be ignored and is reason enough for anyone to complain.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs

I don't dispute what you are saying. I actually agree. I'm just not pouring the same amount of energy into complaining as others. Is that okay?

You can do whatever you want, but I think we’d be in a much better place if everyone in the community held EA and the development team to a higher standard.

Agreed, I think it's important to show that you are displeased and give feedback, just as important as it is to show that you are pleased and give feedback.

I created an Answer HQ report about how annoying it was that my pets in my households was always sick and starving in the Cats & Dogs expansion pack every time I loaded into another household. And while it took forever for them to do it...

Fixed an issue that made Pets’ needs to not be fulfilled if not playing an active household. - from the Patch Notes in June.

They actually fixed it because enough people selected "me too" and posted on that report on Answer HQ. I'm not happy that it took them so long but if people had not responded and clicked me too, I'm pretty sure that this would never have been patched.
    Yes the me too helps a lot. It sets the priority on how fast a bug gets fixed or not, so I highly recommend it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited September 2020
    I read her tweet and she said she decided this was the best idea for this pack. So the devs/gurus DO have some control over what pack to create next. This entire time people have been sweet on them and telling us to lay off with the criticism cause it's not them and it's mostly EA/higher ups. Well they won't be receiving anymore flack now, whenever someone leaves some critique about the devs/gurus I don't want to see it being classified as being mean aka "not their fault". That excuse has flown the coop now. She basically just admitted the devs/gurus are making what they like or what they think we'll like instead of listening to our feedback and that's not really okay. I don't have any hate or ill will towards her, but that kinda irked me a little.
    giphy.gif

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I read her tweet and she said she decided this was the best idea for this pack. So the devs/gurus DO have some control over what pack to create next. This entire time people have been sweet on them and telling us to lay off with the criticism cause it's not them and it's mostly EA/higher ups. Well they won't be receiving anymore flack now, whenever someone leaves some critique about the devs/gurus I don't want to see it being classified as being mean aka "not their fault". That excuse has flown the coop now. She basically just admitted the devs/gurus are making what they like or what they think we'll like instead of listening to our feedback and that's not really okay. I don't have any hate or ill will towards her, but that kinda irked me a little.

You're right, I think now most of the complains that was directed to EA can now be redirected to Gurus as well, and that's justified. but still it'd be nice to be easy with complain without spewing insulting and degrading comments as they are still human being afterall not some corporate entity.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    IceyJ wrote: »
    @SPARKY1922 @KaeChan2089 What do you base that assumption on? And why are you suddenly ganging up on me? What more can I do than admit I was wrong and apologize? If you presume to know that I for some reason were not sincere, then I stand no chance at redeeming myself. What are your intentions?

i agree that i don’t quite understand what they’re reaching for. you acted with humility so i’d just ignore their future posts directed at you because they don’t make sense and just seem mean-girl-ish

Not being mean girlish, I am simply pointing out Sparkle called them out, and they retract what they said and then played victim ...and I was simply pointing out if Sparkle didn't call them out we would have never heard an apology..that's ALL I am addressing.

She didn't play the victim. She apologized, then you two jumped all over her instead of accepting the apology like adults. Grow up.

This. It's like an elementary schoolyard around here sometimes.

Or... like a pack of hyenas?

...Ahem. I'll stop with the Lion King references now. :P
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited September 2020
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Wow @Nindigo

I was just about to respond to your post outlining you feel like you are being victimized by me and another player due to my/our differences of opinion to yours which I am allowed yes? My intent was never to hurt your little feelings just to debate but as I see you are gathering a fan base for yourself on the matter I will gladly bow out to your superior opinion on all things S4 and skulk away defeated so thanks for being so mature (not)

this is overall a very nasty post. things like this is why threads are closed. maybe you need to cool off and proof-read what you write before you hit post.

I agree. I'm not sure that all of this gang tackling is warranted.

Agreed as well. That exchange reminded me of what happened to Scar at the end of the original Lion King.

It seems to be happening to a lot of people lately, myself included. I'm not sure that productive, polite discourse is even possible on this forum anymore.

When the fandom of a videogame is filled with a lot of annoyed, dissatified users, it's bound to have more heated discussions than not, I suppose. Not that the dissatisfaction is undeserved, but the harsh words (in this case, it includes unnecessary ganking) towards each other definitely is.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Why should 'some people' not have bought TS4? Maxis was very good at convincing them (as I've already said) they were going to build the game of their dreams. It was like a deal. If you buy the base game, we will add ghosts, pools and other stuff you are upset about that is missing in a $80 base. For most it costs $60 if they didn't buy the deluxe or whatever. Nothing they added in those early patches could make up for the price jack of $60 for such a small game. Couldn't even figure out who was a teen or who wasn't until some of us begged for a tag to put on teens so we could see the difference from a YA or Adult. Talk about shallow teens. Cringe worthy.

When some of us ranted about other things we were told how much 'potential' TS4 had just to skip the things we didn't like and wait on the things we did like. While ten dozen more Sims behaved the same way each and every time.

Granted a few packs they focused on were good packs until they no longer cared about those anymore and let them remain broken. Would anyone say that is a waste of money once you buy a pack you did like but later it gets broken and no one fixes it for you? Why do any of us put up with that from software developers? Would we let it go and just keep using a broken product and not ask the company to fix our gadget or whatever, and just keep buying more of them? Why is it ok for software developers to get by with shady customer support? Just why. No one has to answer that , but for me, the day I allow game developers and companies to keep hood winking me into buying and then break their own product and don't get on it like hot cakes, is over.

They may very well destroy the genre of The Sims, but in my eyes EA's infamous reputation of releasing and selling broken games is alive and well in Maxis. A different 'genre' of a pack is not going to convince me it will be any better. It's not EA who is releasing a new pack No doubt full of flaws and bugs. Only to break the ones you already have installed. Money down the drain, oh, please EAxis, let me buy another pack so I can break the last one and continue to spout how much 'potential' TS4 has.

You told me it was a life simulator and just wait and see, it would be all I dreamed about, but then told me no, it's a soap opera, then told me no it's a safespace, but then told me no it's trend simulator, so I would go out and buy some ugly clothes from some designer I would never buy from, because of ugly clothes, but then told me, no it's an adventure simulator.....I'm still waiting to see a life simulator and TS4 ain't it.

You said you heard me when we complained about the 'Sim' and swore you had returned to your roots to build TS4....where is that game?

This sounds like something an underfunded indie developer would pitch to their kickstarter benefactors, not a fully-fledged AAA company like EA (who should be budgeting the devs, not us). The Sims 4 will go down in the history of the franchise as one of the biggest scams ever.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I think people forget how Will Wright was a Star Wars fan and how it inspired him to make the Sims. So without Star Wars I doubt most games including the Sims would exist.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/will-wright-teaches-game-design-and-theory/chapters/the-relationship-between-story-and-games#transcript

star wars wasn't what inspired Will Wright to make the sims.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/will-wright-at-bafta-the-creator-of-the-sims-on-his-influences-and-hints-to-his-next-game/
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/2811638/-the-sims---born-from-fire.html
    saying that without star wars most games wouldn't exist is an assumption that is only based on a personal opinion.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Sounds to me like she simply said the game can't be all things, to all people all the time. ^shrug^

Lyndsay wasn't around working for Maxis back in 1998, or at least not on the TS1 team in any major role. I wonder how many times they had to say that to TS1 fans...never. When you have lost the focus of what you are building or producing, you go all over the place and yes, you can attract a new type of player, but then no one is happy anymore. And I forgot anohter they used as an excuse that it's a story teller, pose a Sim, snap a picture, write a caption, game. It seems poor TS4 has no idea what it is, and why so many feel it should have never had a four after it's title.

ETA: It is very clear what The Sims Medieval is, a roll playing game, with quests and no generational play, no building and or ceativity for that, and or designing your own worlds or even quests. TS4 has no idea what genre it wants to be. Or even if it's just an avenue to promote causes.

Lol, I don't think SW had any thing to do with ping pong on an old Atari system or MS Solitaire. :o I could go back even further than that, but I won't, back to the days my 'pc' was a machine I put in ticket punch hole cards.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »

I am allowed to support the sims franchise that I am rooting for?

I am allowed to give feedback even if I don't support or even own certain packs even if it is Star Wars.

Can you be polite and constructive?

Can you call out those who are neither?

Then sure. If not, then no. Don't. Keep it to yourself.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    For me, I think the gurus are in a lose-lose situation. If they stay quiet, then they're blamed for not communicating enough. If questions are asked and we don't like the responses then the gurus are unprofessional, etc.

Let me be clear that I didn't like the responses that Lyndsay gave, but at the very least I'm happy that she said something & addressed some of the questions head on. To me, that's better than silence.

I really think the dev team needs to communicate more and address the issues that Simmers have. IMO it's been an underwhelming year for TS4, with lackluster content, a ton of bugs, etc. & it's not that the Star Wars pack is bad, as I know there are tons of Simmers excited for it.....I have an issue with having a new theme released when there are so many bugs (more than usual) that came with Eco Living that has heavily effected certain aspects of the game which have yet to be addressed, & so many other themes that the Sims community has asked for that is still unclear if we're getting. You add in the skin tone issue and when that will be addressed - it just feels that Star Wars has greater priority over everything else. This is just my personal opinion, as this is where the disconnect is for me. I like that they're releasing new themes, though not a fan of this one....I think it's cool to take risks. BUT, and this is a huge BUT....it seems to be prioritized over other things that have greater importance and that's where I have issue with the pack.

• SailorFrogSailorFrog Posts: 11 New Member
    > @OEII1001 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I thought that her response was textbook perfect. She stated that she understood their position, and then explained her position. One does not have to agree with her position, but her conduct was neither unprofessional or condescending.

I completely agree. There's rules that the sim gurus have to follow with what they post in twitter and they can't break those rules just because some people want them to give a strait answer. It's not always possible for them to do that.
  • SailorFrogSailorFrog Posts: 11 New Member
    The developers are always trying to attract new players and I think that's really what they were doing with this pack. Also, some of the things everyone is complaining they don't have yet in ts4, sim guru ninja has addressed some of these, such as spiral staircases in an interview. https://youtu.be/Puc3Fcovkz4
    edited September 2020
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

star wars wasn't what inspired Will Wright to make the sims.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/will-wright-at-bafta-the-creator-of-the-sims-on-his-influences-and-hints-to-his-next-game/
    https://www.computerworld.com/article/2811638/-the-sims---born-from-fire.html
    You should check out the video too. Sure Star Wars wasn't the only inspiration, but the article and video supports Sims Ant being an inspiration too and yes your article shared how Pokemon too. True I did go a bit too far with my opinion.

Anyways it was mentioned by him here with the storytelling aspect,
    "Now, over time, through our culture, we've come to call one of these things play, these toy experiences, and the other one story. These are both, though, fundamentally educational technologies. I think this is why we enjoy consuming these things, because they actually help us build more elaborate, more detailed, world models with a limited experience base. Now, story and play I think have a really kind of interesting two sides of coin relationship here. Some of the really cool stories, the ones that really capture your imagination, you can deconstruct into characters, worlds, locations, objects. I watch my eight-year-old playing with Star Wars LEGOs, and he creates his own stories with the storm troopers and all the components from Star Wars-- and he kind of understands that universe-- but now becomes kind of a set of things for him to play with."

He talks about watching his eight year old playing with Star Wars Legos and his child making stories about storm troopers.

I do remember when Sims 4 did a crossover with Final Fantasy:
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15s-pc-game-comes-with-sims-4-outfit/1100-6457061/

Actually have been a number of crossovers since Sims 1 days:
    https://fictionalcrossover.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims

I remember the Drew Carey parties.
    @Scobre yes i have read the article and seen the video as well. in the quote, he is giving the star wars lego as an example of how you are given a serie of tools which you can make your own. the sims gives you the game, the worlds, the premades, but you make with them what you want.
    SimAnt is Wright's game too, it's normal that he got inspired on his own project.
    the pokemon thing...the quote goes like "Games are motivating kids far more thoroughly - whether they're learning Pokemon statistics or whatever - than teachers. Which is a shame." you misunderstood again.

the drew carey thing was a fun little cameo in an already well done game. easter eggs & references are very common anywhere however they stop being fun when they become intrusive and the main focus.
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    @Scobre yes i have read the article and seen the video as well. in the quote, he is giving the star wars lego as an example of how you are given a serie of tools which you can make your own. the sims gives you the game, the worlds, the premades, but you make with them what you want.
    SimAnt is Wright's game too, it's normal that he got inspired on his own project.
    the pokemon thing...the quote goes like "Games are motivating kids far more thoroughly - whether they're learning Pokemon statistics or whatever - than teachers. Which is a shame." you misunderstood again.

the drew carey thing was a fun little cameo in an already well done game. easter eggs & references are very common anywhere however they stop being fun when they become intrusive and the main focus.
    Honestly end of the day, it shows Maxis people have been fans of Star Wars for a long time including Will Wright. It attracts family people with kids like him. But I do see why it can upset being the main focus. I am just not shocked they did it being how much Star Wars things were put into the game and how popular City Living is especially the Geek.Con event in the game. It is like be careful what you ask for with supporting all the costumes in the game. Sims 4 is a total DND style game and I think that is the focus of the game is not supernatural fantasy but a role playing fantasy game now. Sad truth but with how supportive people were with the Llamacorn and Bear suits, the theme of Halloween costumes was bound to upset some Simmers sooner or later.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    edited September 2020
    This thread is closed because the conversation was derailed, OT, and full of flaming/baiting/trolling.

Even if emotions are running high with this topic, the way this thread developed is not okay; I'm asking everyone who engaged in this way to review the forum rules and be mindful of them going forward.
    This kind of behaviour is not tolerated on the forum and moderation will follow where appropriate.

- Leeloo
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top