Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Star Wars GP - Age Groups

Comments

• Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Male identifying biological female >30 here, I Like the concept, but would have preferred Star Wars sims to be a spinoff.

I added together the raw numbers so far and got this picture:

Under 30 -> ratio Like : Dislike = 20 : 52 = 1 : 2,6
    Over 30 -> ratio Like : Dislike = 49 : 69 = 1 : 1,4

So from this it looks the concept is better received by older players. My hot take on this is that we didn't grow up with Sims 2 and/or 3 and are maybe a bit less emotionally attached to how a sims game "should" be. I was a gamer already before I became a simmer, what probably gives me a different point of view from someone who started out with The Sims (or only ever played The Sims and no other games at all).
    Or maybe there's simply more first generation Star Wars fans in the >30 group.

But as I said, those are just very biased hot takes, nothing substantial.

In all the simmer groups I belong, none want this pack. I am of the 30+ group and want the star wars bloatware we are forced to have in base game deleted. I did not even really like any of the movies, so that may be why I view the pack very negatively.

Agreed. I hate that more than half of the Halloween costumes are Star Wars characters and I even use a mod to add a variety costumes, including the ones from Spooky Stuff, which are for some reason not included with the “wear costumes” holiday tradition. Without the mod, children have to choose between being Yoda and an elf.

In addition, I never got into the Star Wars movies, although I am not in the 30+ group. I didn’t recognize anything from the trailer and I STILL don’t know what Batuu is.
  • stephanie132392stephanie132392 Posts: 91 Member
    I'm female and in my late 20 and I'm excited to play it. I watched all the movies with my father and little brother :)
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,175 Member
    I'm 67 :o (when did that happen?) and I like this . I may not love it but still I like I just may not buy right away.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    Male identifying biological female >30 here, I Like the concept, but would have preferred Star Wars sims to be a spinoff.

I added together the raw numbers so far and got this picture:

Under 30 -> ratio Like : Dislike = 20 : 52 = 1 : 2,6
    Over 30 -> ratio Like : Dislike = 49 : 69 = 1 : 1,4

So from this it looks the concept is better received by older players. My hot take on this is that we didn't grow up with Sims 2 and/or 3 and are maybe a bit less emotionally attached to how a sims game "should" be. I was a gamer already before I became a simmer, what probably gives me a different point of view from someone who started out with The Sims (or only ever played The Sims and no other games at all).
    Or maybe there's simply more first generation Star Wars fans in the >30 group.

But as I said, those are just very biased hot takes, nothing substantial.

In all the simmer groups I belong, none want this pack. I am of the 30+ group and want the star wars bloatware we are forced to have in base game deleted. I did not even really like any of the movies, so that may be why I view the pack very negatively.

Agreed. I hate that more than half of the Halloween costumes are Star Wars characters and I even use a mod to add a variety costumes, including the ones from Spooky Stuff, which are for some reason not included with the “wear costumes” holiday tradition. Without the mod, children have to choose between being Yoda and an elf.

In addition, I never got into the Star Wars movies, although I am not in the 30+ group. I didn’t recognize anything from the trailer and I STILL don’t know what Batuu is.

I don’t throw like to throw costume parties or go to geek con anymore because it turns into a Star Wars cosplay event. Like I have spooky whatever, why is no one I invited wearing those costumes?
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I was also a gamer before playing The Sims and still am. I'm very used to concepts getting mixed together, as many games feature some kind of nod or several towards something in the real world or something from a different fictional universe. It's all in good fun and a healthy reminder that games, after all, are just games and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

There is really nothing more to it than that, the way I see it. I don't believe for a second that the developers set out to intentionally disappoint people. If anything, they probably wanted folks to lighten up a bit in these dark times. It's really tragic that they instead have managed to fail so miserably. However, many do seem to be excited as well. They may not be as vocal or geared up to wage war, but at least a good chunk will still have fun with Star Wars in The Sims.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Simtown15 wrote: »
    I didn’t recognize anything from the trailer and I STILL don’t know what Batuu is.

Batuu is a planet in a galaxy far far away. On this planet there‘s a settlement called the Black Spire Outpost. The outpost buildings is what you keep seeing in the trailer.
    The Black Spire Outpost on planet Batuu features in the new theme park attraction called Galaxy’s Edge (A Star Wars experience) in Disney World.

“Journey to Batuu” is inspired by this Star Wars / Disney World experience and thus can be considered an advertisement for the park. Which it is.

I’m aware you may not care, but just leaving it out there. ;)
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    edited September 2020
    But you're right the over 30 crowd seems to be much more accepting. What do you think, could the older players who grew up with Star Wars view it as a standout of very few kid friendly sci-fi type movies? Maybe younger players view Star Wars as just another movie in a sea of options.

As someone who is *sigh* old enough to be the dad of several of the Game Changers, I'm not upset because I like Star Wars (on the whole--more than half the movies and TV shows, anyway), but also because I've seen some stuff. "EA made a game pack I didn't want" is amazingly low on the list of injustices in the world.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Oh, but it is a general space pack with made up creatures, especially if you're not familiar with the story lines, characters, and what not.

Yeah, I was watching lilsimsie's reaction to the gameplay trailer and there's a part in it where the character meets an alien and says she's meeting an abednedo named Loos Tung, and Simsie was like, "Oh no, this is the thing I don't want! I don't know anything about Star Wars aliens!" Like, they just told you this thing is called an abednedo and its name is Loos Tung. It's not a trivia game; they'll tell people what things are if it's important.
    @kemowery Thanks for putting things into perspective.

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited September 2020
    @kemowery

But it is not important. The ONLY people it is really important to are those that are into the star wars genre. I know very little, and have no desire to learn names or alien types. In fact, I dislike the star wars bloatware we already have in cas. By the way I am in the over 30 crowd and am old enough to have seen 2 of 3 older films in the theater. There is no desire to learn about something that I already dislike. Your example of lilsimsie, proves it. She dislikes all occult, so why should she want to know about star wars.
    @kemowery

The ONLY people it is really important to are those that are into the star wars genre.

That group counts several thousands if not tens of thousands. It seems like you are totally dismissive of that many people.

@kemowery

But it is not important. The ONLY people it is really important to are those that are into the star wars genre. I know very little, and have no desire to learn names or alien types. In fact, I dislike the star wars bloatware we already have in cas. By the way I am in the over 30 crowd and am old enough to have seen 2 of 3 older films in the theater. There is no desire to learn about something that I already dislike. Your example of lilsimsie, proves it. She dislikes all occult, so why should she want to know about star wars.

There are some folks around the forums that don’t know much about Star Wars, but believe the pack may offer some interesting elements to their play style.
    It really depends on how people play the game. Doesn’t mean it’s only for Star Wars fans or for those that are into the Star Wars genre.
    Family players seem to have an interest because Batuu could be like a day out for the family. Sure, it’s not for everyone, but it certainly has potential.
    edited September 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »
    @kemowery

The ONLY people it is really important to are those that are into the star wars genre.

That group counts several thousands if not tens of thousands. It seems like you are totally dismissive of that many people.

It seems not enough of a significant number in the simmer community actually care. At least that is the impression given to me via twitter, multiple FB sim groups, and on these forums. Even some star wars fan groups are not happy with the pack (saw via links when sims trended on twitter). So the people interested are a very minuscule amount.
    edited September 2020
    @kemowery

It seems not enough of a significant number in the simmer community actually care. At least that is the impression given to me via twitter, multiple FB sim groups, and on these forums. Even some star wars fan groups are not happy with the pack (saw via links when sims trended on twitter). So the people interested are a very minuscule amount.

While you may be right, social media only counts for so many, and the ones who make themselves seen and heard tend to be the unhappy ones. But I do agree that Star Wars is a niche theme. Question is, should content only voted for by the majority always win the day? Or is there room for niche players to have some things as well?

@kemowery

While you may be right, social media only counts for so many, and the ones who make themselves seen and heard tend to be the unhappy ones. But I do agree that Star Wars is a niche theme. Question is, should content only voted for by the majority always win the day? Or is there room for niche players to have some things as well?

This is not treated as very niche content when some star wars bloatware is already forced via base game. At least from my perspective. If it was treated as very niche content, then we would not have that ugly yoda or cas items included unless you bought the star wars pack.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    but...what about people who are exactly 30 years old?
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited September 2020
    Where's the let me try the new GP before I decide if I like it or not tab?
    I check that one.
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    kemowery wrote: »
    "EA made a game pack I didn't want" is amazingly low on the list of injustices in the world.

I endorse this message.
    So judging by the overwhelming negative reaction on social media, one should be able to predict pretty low sales numbers for this GP at the end of the day.

This should be interesting.
    RavenSpit wrote: »

Yeah, hubby also pointed that out. I didn't think of that :D But as I stated in the OP, just reply to the best of your ability if you choose to participate. That okay? Sorry about that bloop, everyone.

edited September 2020
    RavenSpit wrote: »

Yeah, hubby also pointed that out. I didn't think of that :D But as I stated in the OP, just reply to the best of your ability if you choose to participate. That okay? Sorry about that bloop, everyone.

Although it does include folks who are exactly 30 years old by saying:

I’m 30, or...

🤔

Edit: look, it’s late here. I’m probably missing something. :D
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Female under 30, dislike the pack, not buying it. Have seen every single star wars movie. Don't really care for 1-6. 7-9 are okay but get increasingly worse (incidentally, killing han solo in those is to many star wars fans what this pack is to many sims players. A stab in the back by someone you thought you could trust). Rogue One is the bomb and every star wars fan can fight me haha I cried when I saw that one.
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    Female under 30, dislike the pack, not buying it. Have seen every single star wars movie. Don't really care for 1-6. 7-9 are okay but get increasingly worse (incidentally, killing han solo in those is to many star wars fans what this pack is to many sims players. A stab in the back by someone you thought you could trust). Rogue One is the bomb and every star wars fan can fight me haha I cried when I saw that one.

What part of it is a stab in the back? I'm genuinely curious.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    In the entirety of The Sims 4, I find it fascinating that like half a dozen costumes and a single statue based on Star Wars are "bloatware."

I mean, I don't dress characters up in the Star Wars costumes since I usually erase all the holidays anyway (though the first time I did Strangerville, the trip to kill the Mother took place on Halloween and everyone was dressed up as Star Wars characters), but I guarantee there's twice as many items in CAS and a bunch of decoration items that I never use. I spend way, way more time policing the eyeball ring and piercings in random outfits than I ever worry about the Star Wars costumes that no one ever wears outside of Halloween.

I suspect it's like the study where it was shown that when women speak 25% of the time in a class, the men in the class perceive it as women dominating the conversation and drowning out men. Or whatever the numbers were. Point being, people see a thing they don't like and jump to the conclusion that seeing it at all means it's taking over.

So a few costumes in CAS is "Star Wars bloatware." Out of 34 currently-released packs, two GPs devoted to occult life states is the entire series being taken over by occult players. Similarly, two other GPs that have quests in addition to open-ended play show that the game is being turned into an adventure game.

• AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited September 2020
    Both as a hard core Star wars fan AND a Simmer since Sims 1, this pack is an INSULT.

For the sake of clarification; it's not that Sims couldn't handle themes - it's HOW it's implemented that bothers me. If I can't make anything creative with it, then what's the point? If all the pack is is just having my sims 'visit' without the ability for any customization or world building of my own, I don't WANT it. Besides, there's no danger, no real depth, just blah.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    It's a theme park. Would You have been as insulted if it was a six flags?
    Are Star wars Legos an insult? You don't like any of the branded stuff we've had in the Sims?
    Don't get me wrong...I don't care that you hate it I'm just fascinated by the reasoning.