Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC HELP!!!!

I had a backup of my game files, and reinstalled my game. Tried to get some of my stuff back, but found out part of if it CC and corrupted. Now I can't get rid of it!!!

grunge living series

Must of been something i downloaded a long time ago. Patterns. When I try to remove one, it fails says its a dependent. When I try to scroll down to see the others the launcher crashes! How do i find this thing and delete it?
tron_zps9rppf9ua.jpg

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    You can try Method by Mell, on this page (scroll down a bit):

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

The point is to sort through your .dbc files—bundled custom content—one at a time, rather than all at once. Hopefully the launcher will be able to display all the items in each single .dbc file, so you can uninstall what you need to from that bundle. But even if the launcher still crashes when you're looking at a particular file, you can delete just that file and keep the rest. Reinstalling whatever was in that .dbc bundle is a lot easier than reinstalling everything.
  • Options
    computertech82computertech82 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Sadly that website is absolutely worthless. the launcher crashes so It cannot be used. If I had to guess, the corrupted files are hidden in the library folder. There has to be a way to find out what each 'package' is.
    tron_zps9rppf9ua.jpg
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    That site is absolutely not worthless. Crinrict has been helping troubleshoot Sims 3 issues since the beginning and knows exactly what she's doing. The whole point of Method by Mell is to remove most of the content from the launcher so whatever is causing the crashing is hopefully out of the way. If the one .dbc file you're looking at causes a crash, take it out and try a different one.

If your launcher crashes even after you've removed all the .dbc files, then there's something else wrong with it. The launcher doesn't exactly read the contents of Library, although it does display Library content you've installed through the launcher, i.e. downloaded houses or lots. Still, you could remove the entire Library folder and see whether it helps.

Or you could start with a fresh user data folder and start adding back your content. Move the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop, then open the launcher to create a clean one. Method by Mell would still work here, as would gradually adding other content to the folder.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2020
    I am not by any means at all a voice of authority on this forum, but I would still like to strongly suggest to the OP that they choose their words a little more carefully, meaning perhaps infuse a bit patience and kindness into them. Had they brought the issue to us at NRaas, even though it probably has nothing to do with mods, and had we tried to help, they would have gotten exactly the same advice.

Not all solutions resonate with all players immediately or in exactly the same way. And some problems do have more than one path to resolution (not sure this one does, Method by Mell is golden for those who would rather not dump all of their Launcher installed game content and rebuild it from scratch one piece at a time). But referring to the products and guides of one of the finest and tireless helpers of Sims games ever to be on the scene as absolutely worthless is a bit over the line, I'm afraid, even if it were really the case that it's not the correct solution for the given problem. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Sadly that website is absolutely worthless. the launcher crashes so It cannot be used. If I had to guess, the corrupted files are hidden in the library folder. There has to be a way to find out what each 'package' is.

I beg to differ. :rage: Crin's site is actually one of the best info sources for Sims 3 players, with or without game problems, along with Sims Wiki, SimsVIP and Carl's Sims 3 Guide.

And last but not least, BluebellFlora also deserves an honorable mention for helping all the poor Mac users who have been trying to play TS3 on their machines throughout the years.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Yes, but what would they both say about three players yelling at an OP? Perhaps it is only on AHQ the so called "user" is all that matters..
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    Gently pushing back against a player's assessment as "absolutely worthless" of a valuable resource that contains exactly the information they require, attempting to explain why that information is indeed important, and asking them to please reconsider what they are saying, is not yelling. This is a community forum, not a helpdesk.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited September 2020

I'd say it's all a fair assessment of what this community is comprised of,
    and how everything works around here ... :D

50298487212_59393293df.jpg

I mean it's always [censored] and giggles ...
    Until someone giggles and [censored].

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    Thank you both for that clarification; and I do agree. I think that needs to be stated more clearly at AHQ, to both of the players being defended. But I'm sure it will reach them soon anyway.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I am going to suggest that the OP meant, "Sadly that site is absolutely worthless to me in this case" because the launcher just keeps crashing. So, the suggestion by @puzzlezaddict to move out the sims 3 folder to desktop, letting a new sims 3 folder be created first, will hopefully resolve the launcher issue. Then, the laborious task of tracking down the bad cc can also hopefully be resolved by moving in just one .dbc file in at a time.

We all love Crinrict, and I love @computertech82 too. I'm sure there was no intention to slam crinrict's work, only frustration over a malfunctioning launcher.
  • Options
    I agree with that too. OP can say what they want and we can interpret it how we please; because this is a community and not a help desk.