Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discussion on recent SimGuru statements on Twitter

Comments

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    @Sharonia I'm sorry that you experience so much bugginess. I don't know why, but I don't experience all that in my game. So, I can't really complain about it.

If only we could be that lucky . That's absolutely great you don't have problems. But this person and myself experience this every time we play.
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I agree with Lyndsay. That there should be room for different kinds of play at the same time. I'm glad she see things this way, because The Sims 4 has many types of players. Also, in my experience the game isn't half as buggy as some would have it seem. *shrug*

The game is in an awful state bug wise especially since Eco Living released and just because it's all sunshine and rainbows for you. It doesn't mean that it is that way for everybody. I'm mean no offense here but you just seem to have a huge tolerance for poor quality.

My sims bills are being completely under charged since Eco Living and yet still nothing has been done about it.

Don't let them know about the bills :#
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I agree with Lyndsay. That there should be room for different kinds of play at the same time. I'm glad she see things this way, because The Sims 4 has many types of players. Also, in my experience the game isn't half as buggy as some would have it seem. *shrug*

The game is in an awful state bug wise especially since Eco Living released and just because it's all sunshine and rainbows for you. It doesn't mean that it is that way for everybody. I'm mean no offense here but you just seem to have a huge tolerance for poor quality.

My sims bills are being completely under charged since Eco Living and yet still nothing has been done about it.

Don't let them know about the bills :#

I absolutely hate the undercharging. There are ways to reduce bills, but if my sim is living above their means in a mansion they can't afford, they shouldn't be paying the same as they would be living in a shipping crate. Then again, it may be intentional.
  • Sharonia wrote: »

My sims will stand frozen in place for long periods of time just waiting to start a conversation.
    My sims won't sit down to watch TV. It's been this way since forever and nothing has been done about it.
    My sims won't sit down to eat. They stand at the fridge blocking access for any other hungry sims.
    My sims wash their dishes in the upstairs bathroom sink instead of the kitchen unless I use a mod to stop it.
    My sims won't hold their pets properly. It glitches so the pets are some how merged with the sims on the wrong side of their body.
    My sims don't carry laundry properly anymore. The bag appears in the completely wrong place.
    My sims are stealing items if I use a major feature of the Eco Living expansion pack and still nothing has been done about it.
    My sim can't get a promotion in his career because the required NPC never spawns.
    My vampire sim can't complete her aspiration because it keeps resetting back to the beginning.

All the lines in italics are bugs I get every time I play the game, every session nowadays, on PC and console. There's a lot of other annoying little glitches with the vampires as well, such as Sims with the Eternal Sadness weakness using idle animations for the Insatiable Thirst weakness, that one's been in the game for at least over a year now.

I've had the glitches with Sims not staying asleep after it was said to be fixed, I've got a glitch on the console version right now where if there is a bookcase anywhere in the house, Sims won't stay sat to do something on the computer such as composing a comedy routine or writing a book, because they will always cancel the interaction to read instead after just a few seconds. When my brother was playing the other day, he managed to get his Sim to finish a routine, but only because he watched with him selected so that he could cancel the read interaction every time it came up, which took him away from his other three Sims in that household.

The glitch with basement floors appearing where there were none whilst being impossible to delete is still in the game, it's just triggered differently now, and that's one I actually have video evidence of. Bugs are one thing, but bugs that come back not long after being fixed is another.

I don't make mods for The Sims 4, but I do make mods for other PC games, and the thought of putting out more content whilst existing content is buggy is genuinely one that doesn't even cross my mind, it seems like something that would require a great deal of audacity. Granted that what I do is on a much smaller scale, but the principle still applies.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    If they had announced a farming pack or a ski resort pack instead of SW, we still would be waiting on babies and cars (not to mention bug fixes) the same way we're doing today, because the theme of one of the packs they've been working on is separate from to those problems. But people are angry it's a SW pack specifically.

I don't care for some of those things (babies and cars), but I have other things I agree on (better personalities, better romance, spiral staircases, etc) + bug fixes I need asap, and I would still need them no matter the next pack theme because they should be free updates lol. It's not like I was expecting a pack called Let's Get Fixing that would take care of that.

(@Cinebar I would consider EL, JA and IL life simulation. I didn't realize some people didn't.)
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    j1z1 wrote: »
    If they had announced a farming pack or a ski resort pack instead of SW, we still would be waiting on babies and cars (not to mention bug fixes) the same way we're doing today, because the theme of one of the packs they've been working on is separate from to those problems. But people are angry it's a SW pack specifically.

I don't care for some of those things (babies and cars), but I have other things I agree on (better personalities, better romance, spiral staircases, etc) + bug fixes I need asap, and I would still need them no matter the next pack theme because they should be free updates lol. It's not like I was expecting a pack called Let's Get Fixing that would take care of that.

(@Cinebar I would consider EL, JA and IL life simulation. I didn't realize some people didn't.)

I believe the difference is that with Ski resorts and farms these things have been asked for by so many people, so many times. You can’t go to any social media group, site, post asking what people want without seeing majority of the comments asking for cows, hotels, generations. These were knowingly wanted, if you want them or not is irrelevant, these are things the community has been begging for for years over and over, it is a known fact even outside the Sims community how badly people want farms and hotels. I have never, ever seen a single person post ‘ya know what would be cool? A Star Wars story based RPG inside the sims.’ IF there were just as much hooting and hollering for Star Wars as even a Veganism pack I don’t think the reaction would be as bleak and negative as it is, I think people would still be upset but we’d understand that this was something wanted by a vast number of the community. I know I for one wouldn’t have been so shocked. It’s not about Star Wars, I personally love Star Wars. It’s about feeling ignored, and honestly it’s also about feeling like our voices were silenced for a Disney world advertisement. Heck, I believe this would have been better received if it were based on the actual movies and not Disney’s Galaxys Edge. People are right to be offended, and it’s okay if you’re not but at least try to understand why people are so angry.

Also going to add, literally all I want is burglars back, everything else is a pleasant surprise.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited September 2020
    Komura wrote: »
    j1z1 wrote: »

I believe the difference is that with Ski resorts and farms these things have been asked for by so many people, so many times. You can’t go to any social media group, site, post asking what people want without seeing majority of the comments asking for cows, hotels, generations. These were knowingly wanted, if you want them or not is irrelevant, these are things the community has been begging for for years over and over, it is a known fact even outside the Sims community how badly people want farms and hotels. I have never, ever seen a single person post ‘ya know what would be cool? A Star Wars story based RPG inside the sims.’ IF there were just as much hooting and hollering for Star Wars as even a Veganism pack I don’t think the reaction would be as bleak and negative as it is, I think people would still be upset but we’d understand that this was something wanted by a vast number of the community. I know I for one wouldn’t have been so shocked. It’s not about Star Wars, I personally love Star Wars. It’s about feeling ignored, and honestly it’s also about feeling like our voices were silenced for a Disney world advertisement. Heck, I believe this would have been better received if it were based on the actual movies and not Disney’s Galaxys Edge. People are right to be offended, and it’s okay if you’re not but at least try to understand why people are so angry.

Also going to add, literally all I want is burglars back, everything else is a pleasant surprise.

The last couple of packs gave us candle making and knitting, so they do need to vary it up a little (I think the bigger mistake was EL which even realism players weren't really feeling). But what you're saying is true, maybe if it had been werewolves, which has been requested by many, it would have been better received. Maybe it's 'cause the last supernatural pack was witches and it didn't match some sort of release pattern? I don't know when they may have started to work on this pack, but I imagine most feedback that's less than a year old would be of little use in stopping a project like this. It also kind of makes sense to me that they would try to make at least one surprising announcement after a community-voted pack and some content from previous iterations.

(Oof, in one of the last surveys there was a box asking what you'd like to see more of and I did ask for more SW content, as I knew it to be possible since we got the costumes. Can't know if anyone else did but never in a million years did I think a pack was possible or I probably would have brought up the suggestion tbh.)
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    I think a lot of the (justified) fan outrage isn't necessarily with Journey to Batuu, but EA/Maxis' priorities of late, which of course like all major AAA companies is to make money. However the outrage I believe really stems from little to no transparency on the end of Maxis, little or no community interaction, six years on with missing standard Sims features (real babies, cops, robbers, etc), skin tones and bugfixes that have either not been addressed or are continually broken with each update. Then you announce this Star Wars gamepack and the already boiling pot just spills over. I think plenty of people would like the new pack, however I think the timing was just bad...more people wanted the promised fixes and additions to the game before a pack that a lot see as a cash grab.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    I think a lot of the (justified) fan outrage isn't necessarily with Journey to Batuu, but EA/Maxis' priorities of late, which of course like all major AAA companies is to make money. However the outrage I believe really stems from little to no transparency on the end of Maxis, little or no community interaction, six years on with missing standard Sims features (real babies, cops, robbers, etc), skin tones and bugfixes that have either not been addressed or are continually broken with each update. Then you announce this Star Wars gamepack and the already boiling pot just spills over. I think plenty of people would like the new pack, however I think the timing was just bad...more people wanted the promised fixes and additions to the game before a pack that a lot see as a cash grab.

100% Agree. This pack was just the straw that broke the llama's back.
    edited September 2020

100% Agree. This pack was just the straw that broke the llama's back.

I feel like a broke record saying this, but I’m literally one of the easiest simmers to please. I don’t expect anything, I say thank you and happily use mods to fix what I don’t like. I have NEVER been vocal about how dissatisfied with the Sims team I am, and I have been for a while. I don’t feel like I’m entitled, or like I’m whining, because honestly I’ve spent quite a few years, six to be precise, holding my tongue and accepting this game because it is the only one of its kind, and I don’t feel like doing that anymore.
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member

I agree there should be room for different types of game play. That's why we have StrangerVille and Realm of Magic as well as Jungle Adventure and Parenthood. Where they messed up is adding Star Wars. If they wanted a space action game why not incorporate the alien and robot systems they already put into place? Why not explore more of the lore THEY created? It would have been cool for the "kidnapping" alien to come and say they needed our sim's help because of a war on their planet or whatever other cool ideas they could have come up with and it would have actually fit into the game. Heck I would have been excited to buy that pack.
  • username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    edited September 2020
    I believe they work on multiple projects at once and have more than 1 team of devs assigned to things.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
    YzpYcj0.jpg

.....Please RESEARCH your fanbase MORE before going with themes.

Bless her heart, my lord. She reminds me of my exes mother. That woman knew dang well I had too many dishtowels and she still gave me new dishtowels, every birthday, every Christmas. Just a box of dishtowels. It’s been years since I broke up with her son and guess what I still get in the mail? Dishtowels.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited September 2020
    YzpYcj0.jpg

Bless her heart, my lord. She reminds me of my exes mother. That woman knew dang well I had too many dishtowels and she still gave me new dishtowels, every birthday, every Christmas. Just a box of dishtowels. It’s been years since I broke up with her son and guess what I still get in the mail? Dishtowels.

In March 2019 the Star Wars pack had been given the go-ahead and was most likely certainly in development.

This is game development folks. Not the McDonalds drive thru. 🙄

So looking at this tweet, she was indeed surprised since she already had a space pack in development. No point in stopping that. (Cause money and schedules ‘n all). Anyway, I’m glad they didn’t. Because, (I’ll repeat myself here) I do want Star Wars. 😛
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    YzpYcj0.jpg

LMAO :D Dishtowels is the PERFECT analogy for the packs they've been giving us. Every time we hope for something more...useful. Instead we keep going 'not another dishtowel'. :D
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    edited September 2020
    YzpYcj0.jpg

In March 2019 the Star Wars pack had been given the go-ahead and was most likely certainly in development.

So looking at this tweet, she was indeed surprised since she already had a space pack in development. No point in stopping that. (Cause money and schedules ‘n all). Anyway, I’m glad they didn’t. Because, (I’ll repeat myself here) I do want Star Wars. 😛

I wasn’t saying it wasn’t in development, I’m saying she reminds me of my exes out of touch mother so I’m not really understanding your comment to me. My exes mother straight up would buy dishtowels throughout the year to give to me, her dishtowel obsession was well in development for ages too. You see a fun game pack, I see another box of Jesus fish dishtowels. Just the way it is.
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member

This is what we call damage control. They once again disappointed a community that has supported them for years and now have to defend their bad move until the end. I question how many people actually said in the creative room "maybe we should fix those skin tones first?" :#

I believe they work on multiple projects at once and have more than 1 team of devs assigned to things.

I agree, however Lyndsay clearly also gets to decide what comes out when and she chose to have Star Wars out before skin tones for example. That's a problem to me as it says she knows what the community wants, but just doesn't care all that much.

So you mean they should have put Star Wars on delay and give us skin tones next week, instead of a month later?

Actually yes...Yes this 100% I am all for it...who wouldn't be??

But if it was farms, or romance or werewolves, it would have been ok?

tbh a farming pack that had a werewolf life state in it would’ve been well received compared to other packs, imo (and i don’t even like farming)

But then suddenly it doesn’t matter if the skin tones came later?

...i...never said that lol

No I’m asking.

i take the skin tones as a separate issue. this is something they’ve had years to fix so it’s way past due - it seems like they just realized they needed to fix it. should’ve been done long ago. if the pack wasn’t SW and was farming instead, the criticism that skin tones shouldn’t come later would still be valid
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    edited September 2020

This is what we call damage control. They once again disappointed a community that has supported them for years and now have to defend their bad move until the end. I question how many people actually said in the creative room "maybe we should fix those skin tones first?" :#

I agree, however Lyndsay clearly also gets to decide what comes out when and she chose to have Star Wars out before skin tones for example. That's a problem to me as it says she knows what the community wants, but just doesn't care all that much.

That’s not exactly true. This Star Wars pack (🤢) has definitely been in development for the past year or two and it was always going to be released this month no matter what. The Sims team was never going to update or add new skin tones until they were called out on it a month or two ago.
    LR3g0ni.jpg

So you mean they should have put Star Wars on delay and give us skin tones next week, instead of a month later?

Actually yes...Yes this 100% I am all for it...who wouldn't be??

tbh a farming pack that had a werewolf life state in it would’ve been well received compared to other packs, imo (and i don’t even like farming)

But then suddenly it doesn’t matter if the skin tones came later?

...i...never said that lol

No I’m asking.

i take the skin tones as a separate issue. this is something they’ve had years to fix so it’s way past due - it seems like they just realized they needed to fix it. should’ve been done long ago. if the pack wasn’t SW and was farming instead, the criticism that skin tones shouldn’t come later would still be valid

I agree that all the skin tones and also hair colors should have been given some extra love a long long time ago. And indeed that is a separate issue.

But I’m almost sure that if one of the more requested Theme packs was announced, a lot of folks would have been way more forgiving about the skin tones coming in a later patch. Skin tones automatically jump to second place, because, hey, Romance now now now! (or whatever the majority wants).
    YzpYcj0.jpg

I wasn’t saying it wasn’t in development, I’m saying she reminds me of my exes out of touch mother so I’m not really understanding your comment to me. My exes mother straight up would buy dishtowels throughout the year to give to me, her dishtowel obsession was well in development for ages too. You see a fun game pack, I see another box of Jesus fish dishtowels. Just the way it is.

Based on the previous quotes it seemed as if folks thought she didn’t take the little fun poll as a hint and went ahead with a space pack anyway. My response was that a space pack was already in development way before the fun poll was going around.
    My apologies if I misunderstood.

Dish towels. Indeed. I can imagine the trauma. You could sew them together to make a patchwork towel and send it back to her.
    edited September 2020
    YzpYcj0.jpg

Based on the previous quotes it seemed as if folks thought she didn’t take the little fun poll as a hint and went ahead with a space pack anyway. My response was that a space pack was already in development way before the fun poll was going around.
    My apologies if I misunderstood.

Dish towels. Indeed. I can imagine the trauma. You could sew them together to make a patchwork towel and send it back to her.

No worries, I’ve been a gamer my whole life. I know this pack wasn’t just a sitting on the couch eating chips spur of the moment choice. I also love Star Wars, but idk this pack makes me feel icky.

Also I totally might do that, make her a quilt with all her dishtowels xD
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member

That made me actually laugh out loud!

For sure SW has been in production for a very long time, and the release date was most definitely planned to coincide with their other SW games release.

The only thing I can hope, is that whatever team was tied up and working on the SW pack is now freed up to work on other packs. Maybe they won't be as lackluster, but then again, that might just be might wishful thinking too.

Not in the least in my opinion. The skin tone issues should have been high up on their "get it done" list years ago when people were complaining about it.

But again, this SW pack was planned a lonnnnnnngggggg time before they were shamed into updating/improving skin tones. And like I said in a previous post, they already had the release date mapped out for when it would release, on Gamescon 2020 along with their other SW games release trailers.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top