Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One Of The Gurus claimed it was their idea that they created the star war pack, not EA?

Comments

• fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    the way that some people are trying to twist this to say that gurus shouldn’t have any accountability when it comes to a pack is a little astonishing
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

I think a theme park could be cool actually, but this isn’t a theme park. Theme parks have rides. Quests and linear gameplay isn’t rides, it’s a story mode.

I would *LOVE* a full-on theme park pack with standard rides etc. But what they've actually built here is a lot like the actual Galaxy's Edge theme park, which has only two rides and a lot more emphasis on other things, like joining a side, getting gear, food & drink, and general immersion. It's more the theme in theme park and less of an amusement park (which would be a really fun pack).

I‘m really not that big on SW so it doesn’t sound like that part of DW would be very enjoyable for me. Haven’t been there in probably 15 years but if there’s only two rides it doesn’t sound up my alley. I need rollercoasters haha
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sims 3 has rollercoasters. Mjeh, yeah... :D < - meaning they're not fun at all
    5JZ57S6.png
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    To be honest, if the upcoming gp would be related to the mass effect series, I would more than love those crossover. Imagine a shop with a Shepard VI tolds you this her favourite shop on the citadel.

Anyways, but Star Wars? Here I can just shrug with my shoulders, I'm not a fan of it. The devs obviously are, that's okay, that they wanted include this in their franchise. In the end there is no point to react in temper quantrum. She said they work on other stuffs too. Since I'm working in a non-game related project, I have seen how many obstacles are exist until the product could be released. Maybe the star wars gp was just this with the least problems right now :D . It's okay, even when it's not my taste.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I think it's a cool idea no matter who came up with it. Thumbs up to them :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    the way that some people are trying to twist this to say that gurus shouldn’t have any accountability when it comes to a pack is a little astonishing

Oh my god, what the heck?She clearly admitted fault and you guys ARE still trying to justify it...
    Why must people stick up for these gurus and defend them every single time?
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    It's a pack made after a real life theme park. They are advertising it the same way they are advertising the real life theme park where you're supposed to leave real life at the entrance gates and immerse yourself in the theme park environment. You're basically opposed to your sims enjoying a theme park for a few days. :neutral:

I personally never saw this pack as a theme park. When I think of theme parks, I'm thinking more along the lines of an amusement park, with typical rides (roller coasters, carousels, bumper cars, haunted fun houses, games like throwing the dart at balloons to win prizes, etc).

This "theme" park is not something I would ever waste my RL money on because I have zero interest in it.

To me, this pack is a light RPG adventure pack that you can play 3 ways, not a themepark even tho it's replicated from a RL theme park.

But, if others want to imagine it as a themepark for their gameplay, then that is certainly their right to do so.

• KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2020

Oh my god, what the heck?She clearly admitted fault and you guys ARE still trying to justify it...

Because admitting they’re wrong is hard and no one wants to look like a fool. I defended the devs and as soon as that tweet went out I admitted that I am an wrong :smile: because standing up for those people def makes me look like boo boo the fool now.
    Post edited by Komura on
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member

this is what i’m confused by! when the pack first was announced, we were told we shouldn’t criticize gurus because they have “no say” on whether the pack would be a good decision or not. now the gurus are saying they said it was a good idea, and now people are still trying to twist it around...weird

Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2020

this is what i’m confused by! when the pack first was announced, we were told we shouldn’t criticize gurus because they have “no say” on whether the pack would be a good decision or not. now the gurus are saying they said it was a good idea, and now people are still trying to twist it around...weird

It is the same with other AAA dev teams, people frequently tell others to not criticize Bethesda because apparently they are being held against their will by Zenimax, and are helpless to do anything about it. It's the same situation here with EA & Maxis, I think criticism should go to who deserves it (primarily being EA) so long as threats and harassment are not included (because some "fans" take it too far).
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    It was all of them Lindsey just takes full responsibility. Apparently she wasn't twisting the arm of anyone ;).
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I have to admit I always shake my head over some of the conspiracy theories.
    Gamers in general know the difference between a developer a studio and and a publisher and the roles of each.

Everything that happens with the Sims on these forums gets blamed on EA.
    I'm so used to seeing it I don't even chuckle about it anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited September 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • simoleanfairysimoleanfairy Posts: 8 New Member
    Not surprising. Don’t get me wrong, EA is trash but I never understood why people acted like the devs are just slaves to them and don’t get to make any decisions whatsoever.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

It depends on what you do with it. I built haunted dark rides with that thing, space mountain and dual track coasters in combination with that Venetian boat thingie.
    It’s way more fun if you build one inside a building and follow your sims around In the dark. The only shame is that it can only hold one cart with 2 sims. 😕

I would definitely like a themepark pack with customizable coasters and Zoltar.
    Sorry, wrong thread.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    She probably decided it was a good idea because someone (EA)wanted to do a trilogy of star wars things....... it’s a little hard to say no when someone above you is pushing you in a certain direction. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Not to say I’m totally against it.....I think it is different, and I will probably enjoy it.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    She probably decided it was a good idea because someone (EA)wanted to do a trilogy of star wars things....... it’s a little hard to say no when someone above you is pushing you in a certain direction. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Not to say I’m totally against it.....I think it is different, and I will probably enjoy it.

Can we stop putting words in SG Lyndsay’s mouth please?
    She herself has said nothing of the sort. She said SHE DECIDED it would be a good idea. Another Guru confirmed that she didn’t have to twist their arm to make the pack.
    Lyndsay also confirmed they have a team that comes up with the ideas for packs.

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I have a feeling she's "owning up" to greenlighting this pack so the company doesn't catch any heat, even though it's pretty blatant that it's EA who made the "decision" about this pack.

So are you saying then that SG Lyndsay has lied in several tweets about this pack?
    That doesn’t make sense.

I'm not saying she lied, it just comes across as a little suspicious to me. That's all. :-/
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I think that the discussion has jumped the shark when we start impugning the motives and character of the devs. Your mileage may vary.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Finbar659 wrote: »

All separate dlcs. Money grabbing.

What did you expect?
    Earlier versions of The Sims have done separate DLCs.
    Releasing a base game and then supplying the players with expansions helps keep the initial cost of the game down and keeps the game fresh You get a lot of content without having to fork over a truckload of money right up front. Not only that, you only need to buy the DLCs you like at a smaller price point.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Surprise! The 'surprise' pack apparently isnt a good idea.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

It depends on what you do with it. I built haunted dark rides with that thing, space mountain and dual track coasters in combination with that Venetian boat thingie.
    It’s way more fun if you build one inside a building and follow your sims around In the dark. The only shame is that it can only hold one cart with 2 sims. 😕

I would definitely like a themepark pack with customizable coasters and Zoltar.
    Sorry, wrong thread.
    That is a really good idea. I loved the carnival items and roller coasters from the Sims 1 days. I am a big Roller Coaster Tycoon fan too and enjoying Planet Coaster quite a bit. I wouldn't mind a zoo for Sims too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    I don't know... I kind of don't believe this... or I think she is leaving out the details.... but that's just my opinion. I still think there was someone bigger behind this one like Disney or whoever.

@Babykittyjade EA purchased the licensing agreement. That doesn't mean that Disney dictates that a Sim game is created to duplicate an attraction in their parks. Yes there are restrictions in licensing agreements. But I don't think EA would've traded their freedom in decision making to purchase the license. These types of license agreements tend to be expensive, so EA would've negotiated to ensure they had certain freedoms with game creation.

Also to other Simmers who don't understand licensing agreements. Disney does not pay EA to create games. EA paid Lucas aka Disney for the rights to exclusively create SW games. Just like Sony paid Marvel for the exclusive rights to create Spiderman movies, TV shows et al. And even though Disney owns Marvel now, pursuant to the language in the contract Sony dictates what happens with Spiderman, not Marvel. That's why Spiderman was almost pulled out of the MCU. It is also why Spiderman movies are not on Disney+ but are streaming on HBO or wherever Sony decides to stream them.
    https://businesswire.com/news/home/20130506006434/en/Walt-Disney-Company-EA-Announce-Multi-Year-Star
    https://polygon.com/2013/5/6/4306022/ea-disney-star-wars-games-exclusive-rights

So, yeah SimGuru Lindsey, who is the head of Maxis/the Sims Franchise (Executive Producer/GM of The Sims) has decision making power and determines the direction of the game. Is there someone higher than her at EA, yes. But as the head of the Sims franchise she makes the decisions on the direction of the game(s). The buck stops with her. She's a pretty powerful woman at EA.

As Simmers not everyone is going to be happy. Decisions are made that some folks like and others hate. At the end of the day this is a game pack that expands the game. It is not something being pushed to base game that you must now put up with. It is optional. And you have the option to not purchase the GP. Folks should not be petulant because they don't always get their way.

Is this GP for me? - NOPE. Did I like the tone of the last trailer? - AH HECK NOPE.
    But I can not be into this GP and also celebrate the folks who are looking forward to this GP at the same time.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    SimGuruLyndsay's tweet does not say it was her idea. It says that she thought it was a good idea.

The question:

The answer:

@luthienrising she responded to a question. You are inferring something that is not in her tweet.

It tickles me that folks refuse to believe the Sims team decided to do this on their own. Heck some folks might be shocked if it was disclosed the Sims team went to the EA team managing the SW contract and presented this GP to them and then got the go ahead do develop it.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    troshalom wrote: »
    Heck some folks might be shocked if it was disclosed the Sims team went to the EA team managing the SW contract and presented this GP to them and then got the go ahead do develop it.

Which makes most sense to me given that many of the Gurus absolutely love Star Wars. They wanted to make this pack! Working on this must have been a dream come true for them. I’d feel the same!