Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discussion on recent SimGuru statements on Twitter

Comments

• username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I dont like this pack, ive said that already here. But the way people discuss and put down the gurus/devs is disturbing to me.Seriously, at the end of the day i think simmers are WAYYYY too intense about this stuff. Its just a game. Some themes youll like and some you wont. That doesnt mean they arent working on anything else :|

Did you ever wonder why Will Wright asked people to leave his office when they came to him with ideas for The Sims?

Did you ever wonder why The Sims was so successful? Because it wasn't an adventure game, nor a safe space, nor a trend simulator nor a story driven/rpg. Did you ever wonder why The Sims had so many hardships and things in it that those Sims had to deal with and over come? Because he believed the down side of life and failstates were much more interesting than all those things TS4 is about, such as a trend simulator, adventure simulator and or a safe space. No one can even say what TS4 is supposed to be, six years ago it was a soap opera according to Rachel Franklin. Who knows what it is supposed to be tomorrow. But my opinion? It's a slap happy, all over the place, nonsensical soapbox that floats between what they want to play in a game and what they want to convey to young minds in a game, rather than a satire of a life simulator.

Thats fine. Thats your feelings toward the game. But remember, at the end of the day its a hobby, a pastime. And from what im seeing some simmers take it beyond that in a way thats not healthy. Take a break, play other games. Or just dont play TS4. Im sure theres hundreds of other games you dont play. Some people like sims 4, some dont. And its always been that way. No version of the sims, no single game, will please everyone. But is it something that should be a personal grievance? I think not.
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
    Some games will suit you, some wont. How many games do you play in comparison to the many that you dont? I just.....think that its not such a huge tragedy if a single game isnt fulfilling to you, personally. Thats where im having a disconnect. At the end of the day, games are just hobbies to past the time and keep you entertained. If sims 4 doesnt entertain you, it doesnt have to preoccupy your head space so much.

Sure, have suggestions. But again, the time to not buy into sims 4, was back in 2014. If you felt the game was bad in 2014 , the logical thing to do would be not to buy anymore packs. Play other games or just take a break from gaming in general. Pick up some other hobbies. Not buy them (the DLC) and become more and more upset as time goes on. A good idea could have possibly been to wait and see if the game improved (in your eyes) over time and then buy into it.

But overall, what im saying is, the sims 4 satisfies some people and some people it wont. But life will go on and there will be other games that interest you. I think too much personal emotional investment is being put into a hobby. Its not healthy. Focus on hobbies you do enjoy.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    When a "fan" community becomes toxic and hateful, a responsible Executive Producer will take as much responsibility as she can for her studio, to shield her creatives from the kind of atrocious attention that has become all too common toward game designers. This is a courageous stand, and a generous one - even if she has staffers to screen her mail and social media - and I applaud her for it. She is Executive Producer. The buck stops with her.

Don't like the pack? Fine. Don't buy it. Play something else.

Hateful conspiracy theories and badmouthing developers? Uncalled for.

And we won't buy it <3

The issue is that why the game isn't being created like previous game in depth. It's lacking terribly.

That's not hate. That's just a negative feedback.

It's odd if you have to describe to her as some sort of hero. Like what if she was telling the truth? What if she is responsible? We don't fully know what's happening behind that office.

To be fair and tell the entire story , everyone knew before sims 4 was released that there werent any toddlers and a lot of things from Sims 3 had been removed. The time to "not buy" the game , was back in 2014 :|

No, Ryan and Rachel came out and promised they were going to make all our dreams come true, and hinted at, conveyed, implied they would add toddlers, pools, ghosts, etc. etc. if we would just go ahead and stick with them and buy the base game. And promised, conveyed, implied they would not charge extra but patch the game with those things. Some of us waited to see if they lived up to those boasts and bought the game after they added ghosts and pools etc. We waited forever (three years) to see the toddlers. But after that, any more implying this or that would come later, was no longer believed after we saw how much they don't intend to improve on traits and or personality or life simulation. If we look at the game compared to the others how is EL, JA, SV, SW, IL, or any other pack actually life simulation? We expect a few packs about other life states, and people can buy those or skip them but we do expect a life simulator 99%. I'm not here to buy a trend simulator, or a safespace, nor a adventure simulator or any other type genre. Period. The first 'life simulator' of The Sims not to have a graveyard. The first not to have cars other than imaginary FX, the first not to have reasons to like another Sim, (even TS1 had a small attraction system based on interests). All these years spent on other genres and trends to make us buy another product or believe in some cause they care about. Time wasted in my opinion. But their purses are full and running over, so it's clear no one who is buying really cares about a life simulator but enjoys a trend simulator and or an adventure simulator over a life simulator.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    When a "fan" community becomes toxic and hateful, a responsible Executive Producer will take as much responsibility as she can for her studio, to shield her creatives from the kind of atrocious attention that has become all too common toward game designers. This is a courageous stand, and a generous one - even if she has staffers to screen her mail and social media - and I applaud her for it. She is Executive Producer. The buck stops with her.

And we won't buy it <3

The issue is that why the game isn't being created like previous game in depth. It's lacking terribly.

It's odd if you have to describe to her as some sort of hero. Like what if she was telling the truth? What if she is responsible? We don't fully know what's happening behind that office.

To be fair and tell the entire story , everyone knew before sims 4 was released that there werent any toddlers and a lot of things from Sims 3 had been removed. The time to "not buy" the game , was back in 2014 :|

"Don't buy it" doesn't cover the excuse on why the features were stripped from a brand new "successor" of The Sims 3

And we won't buy it <3

"Don't buy it" doesn't cover the excuse on why the features were stripped from a brand new "successor" of The Sims 3

It covers not buying games that you don’t support . It also would have made more sense for certain players to have skipped sims 4 entirely . Again, not every game is for everybody.

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member

And we won't buy it <3

It covers not buying games that you don’t support . It also would have made more sense for certain players to have skipped sims 4 entirely . Again, not every game is for everybody.

I am allowed to support the sims franchise that I am rooting for?

I am allowed to give feedback even if I don't support or even own certain packs even if it is Star Wars.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Some games will suit you, some wont. How many games do you play in comparison to the many that you dont? I just.....think that its not such a huge tragedy if a single game isnt fulfilling to you, personally. Thats where im having a disconnect. At the end of the day, games are just hobbies to past the time and keep you entertained. If sims 4 doesnt entertain you, it doesnt have to preoccupy your head space so much.

Sure, have suggestions. But again, the time to not buy into sims 4, was back in 2014. If you felt the game was bad in 2014 , the logical thing to do would be not to buy anymore packs. Play other games or just take a break from gaming in general. Pick up some other hobbies. Not buy them (the DLC) and become more and more upset as time goes on. A good idea could have possibly been to wait and see if the game improved (in your eyes) over time and then buy into it.

But overall, what im saying is, the sims 4 satisfies some people and some people it wont. But life will go on and there will be other games that interest you. I think too much personal emotional investment is being put into a hobby. Its not healthy. Focus on hobbies you do enjoy.
    I'm not a gamer so I can perfectly live with not liking games. Actually I spend my life not liking most games and I'm fine. Sims though? Sims is something else.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I'm not a gamer so I can perfectly live with not liking games. Actually I spend my life not liking most games and I'm fine. Sims though? Sims is something else.

In what way? :/

edited September 2020

The Sims franchise has always been a one of a kind game. There's no alternative (yet, let's hope that will change). When I play Sims 3 that's really more than just me playing a game (I play app games and Animal Crossing, I do know what that's like). It's stepping into a world I create, "live" with characters I create myself. For a lot of people Sims really is more than just another game. For people like me they had it right, but they totally lost it. And there's no alternative. Yet.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020

And we won't buy it <3

Why would anyone NOT want to support Sims 4 in 2014? The developers were literally promising the moon so people would buy it, promising they would right their wrongs. They deceived people, and 6 years later you gloss over that to ask why people supported such a problematic game. Maxis literally tried hard to sell this game to Sims 3 players even going as far as telling us a substitution for CASt was in the works. It’s been 6 years, where is that? Maxis has earned every bit of backlash they are getting. The past is catching up to them whether they want to acknowledge their role or not.

I agree and they did it with Sim City 2013 and that was the end of that series. now move forward some may knew that the base game came out majority of the features was not included and brought on the notion that EA/Maxis would put some of the worthwhile features back in over the course of Sims 4 production cycle and they did put maybe one or two. EA/Maxis for me made up some misleading messages that promoted they were going to do this and do that and to date where is the stuff? What EA/Maxis did was take some of the prominent features that were free in previous versions and they are now paid features like the ability to create your own world or Neighborhood which is controlled by EA/Maxis and they only gave one free Neighborhood and that was back in 2015. I am not an fan of that move and never will be and no matter what the ones who accept this move say, it is an funky move. How in the world has the two older versions been able to do what this current version cannot do. Just can't believe it for Sims 4 for me is not innovative in any shape or form. Heck even Sims Town can do than what this game can do. The formula that was created by Wright has changed drastically for Sims for what was once an sand box is an hybrid of an game as you have packs that are use once and used in specified areas and not in all areas of the game, that is sad. Some may say if you feel this way then do not buy it! but the fact is many brought it back in the day and in this instance that statement does not ever register for the money is spent. Now going forward the statement may be valid on new purchases but even if one does not buy into it one can still provide input and still is feedback.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2020
    Remember there are minorities in every society and community.
    If minorities aren’t listened to or treated well in society it’s called discrimination.
    If minorities in a gaming community get something they asked for or are excited about, they are called ‘NOBODY’ by the majority. As in: ‘NOBODY asked for this.’

Lyndsay responded well.
    Sure we could argue that the timing of this pack is rather unfortunate, considering the pile of bugs that are still present in game.
    But this could be said for any pack.
    If this was a winter holiday, wedding or farming GP, the majority would be over the moon, conveniently forgetting about all the bugfixes or lack of a personality system. Except for the die hard complainers. They don’t play the game anymore and yet they’re the loudest. I’ve seen them all over the forum except for the ideas corner. ‘Because it doesn’t matter anyway, they don’t listen to us’.

Give it a rest. This pack will sell. It’s a theme a minority asked for. A minority of the overall 20 million players. It’s a $20 GP for crying out loud. Don’t look at it, if it hurts your eyes.

You’ll get your skin tones, however I can almost guarantee that not everybody is going to be happy with those either, unless they change the CAS tools.
    Maybe we get babies and cars. Not everybody will be happy with those.
    Maybe we get better personalities. Not everybody will be happy with those.
    What happened to the lack of swimmable oceans? I haven’t heard anyone nag about that for a long time.
    I still want my dive lots and my create a world tool and cars.
    Anyway, the list goes on.

Unfortunately the Sims 4 is not going to be the Sims 1,2 or 3. It never was and it never will be.
    Maybe those of you who are constantly upset about it, just have to come to terms that The Sims 4, possibly the most experimental title in the franchise, is just not for you. You should know after 6 years.

Right now, a minority is happy to get this pack. Believe it or not. I know, crazy right?

So please stop saying the pack should be cancelled or the executive producer should be replaced. What a lot of nonsense. Take a breath of fresh air instead. It’s a great day.

No matter how much you like this pack the truth is this an extremely niche pack and doesn't belong in a sandbox game. Most people wouldn't be upset if this was a general space pack with SW themes or if this pack came out after we got everything the community has been requesting for six years.

Imagine if we got a harry potter pack instead of ROM. Now only a small portion of fans can play because everything is extremely specific to one theme and there is no room to change things up. Notice how there was no uproar and outrage at the announcement of ROM because we could make own stories and this time the occults aren't even called witches now they are spellcasters which are great cause we aren't confined in that category and can make enchanters, wizards, sorcerers etc.

Instead of the most requested themes being added they make this pack a priority so the outrage is understandable and if you don't like people talking about it then stay in the positivity thread. You seem like you're trying to silence people and tell them to "give up" on giving the game criticism which is ridiculous. We shouldn't just take everything EA gives we should let them know how we feel.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2020

I don't want to speak for Joanne, but many of us (myself included,) grew old with this franchise and have played it for 20 years. It has become a lifelong hobby, not a temporary interest. Some of us play other games and some don't. For many, it holds a special place in our hearts and is simply not a game where we say, "Oh, well. I don't like the direction it's going, so I'll move on." We want it to improve. We want it to be the best game it can be, because we remember how good previous games were. That's why feedback is given, and why many unhappy simmers stuck around. And sometimes when a simmer seems angry, it's really just the frustration of seeing our favorite game going in the wrong direction.

With that said, it is true that some go too far with the 'feedback' and become abusive. Either way, we should let everyone comment, whether it's positive or negative. Because in most cases, negative feedback = hope for a better game.
    edited September 2020
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    Remember there are minorities in every society and community.
    If minorities aren’t listened to or treated well in society it’s called discrimination.
    If minorities in a gaming community get something they asked for or are excited about, they are called ‘NOBODY’ by the majority. As in: ‘NOBODY asked for this.’

Lyndsay responded well.
    Sure we could argue that the timing of this pack is rather unfortunate, considering the pile of bugs that are still present in game.
    But this could be said for any pack.
    If this was a winter holiday, wedding or farming GP, the majority would be over the moon, conveniently forgetting about all the bugfixes or lack of a personality system. Except for the die hard complainers. They don’t play the game anymore and yet they’re the loudest. I’ve seen them all over the forum except for the ideas corner. ‘Because it doesn’t matter anyway, they don’t listen to us’.

Give it a rest. This pack will sell. It’s a theme a minority asked for. A minority of the overall 20 million players. It’s a $20 GP for crying out loud. Don’t look at it, if it hurts your eyes.

You’ll get your skin tones, however I can almost guarantee that not everybody is going to be happy with those either, unless they change the CAS tools.
    Maybe we get babies and cars. Not everybody will be happy with those.
    Maybe we get better personalities. Not everybody will be happy with those.
    What happened to the lack of swimmable oceans? I haven’t heard anyone nag about that for a long time.
    I still want my dive lots and my create a world tool and cars.
    Anyway, the list goes on.

Unfortunately the Sims 4 is not going to be the Sims 1,2 or 3. It never was and it never will be.
    Maybe those of you who are constantly upset about it, just have to come to terms that The Sims 4, possibly the most experimental title in the franchise, is just not for you. You should know after 6 years.

Right now, a minority is happy to get this pack. Believe it or not. I know, crazy right?

So please stop saying the pack should be cancelled or the executive producer should be replaced. What a lot of nonsense. Take a breath of fresh air instead. It’s a great day.

No matter how much you like this pack the truth is this an extremely niche pack and doesn't belong in a sandbox game. Most people wouldn't be upset if this was a general space pack with SW themes or if this pack came out after we got everything the community has been requesting for six years.

Imagine if we got a harry potter pack instead of ROM. Now only a small portion of fans can play because everything is extremely specific to one theme and there is no room to change things up. Notice how there was no uproar and outrage at the announcement of ROM because we could make own stories and this time the occults aren't even called witches now they are spellcasters which are great cause we aren't confined in that category and can make enchanters, wizards, sorcerers etc.

Instead of the most requested themes being added they make this pack a priority so the outrage is understandable and if you don't like people talking about it then stay in the positivity thread. You seem like you're trying to silence people and tell them to "give up" on giving the game criticism which is ridiculous. We shouldn't just take everything EA gives we should let them know how we feel.
    Here, here. That, plus the fact it seems like a ready to go story (like Strangerville). So it's not even as if you can put the other franchise aside and give your own twist to it.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

Lol "don't like it, don't buy it" is the age old mantra used by white knights of a franchise.

I always thought of that as meaning more of a "vote with your wallet" kind of thing. As in, EA usually listens to dollar signs rather than words, so not buying the packs makes a bigger impact than words/votes on a video etc. Might just be me though, I'm not sure but that's how I've always interpreted it :)
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2020
    MissyHissy wrote: »

Lol "don't like it, don't buy it" is the age old mantra used by white knights of a franchise.

I always thought of that as meaning more of a "vote with your wallet" kind of thing. As in, EA usually listens to dollar signs rather than words, so not buying the packs makes a bigger impact than words/votes on a video etc. Might just be me though, I'm not sure but that's how I've always interpreted it :)

That's true, and maybe it's just me but I see posts like: "don't like x, don't buy it" or "if you don't like x-topic, leave" as attempts at shutting down a meaningful discussion about the company and it's products. People may or may not like a certain pack, but they should be allowed to voice their criticisms.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

That's true, and maybe it's just me but I see posts like: "don't like x, don't buy it" or "if you don't like x-topic, leave" as attempts at shutting down a meaningful discussion about the company and it's products. People may or may not like a certain pack, but they should be allowed to voice their criticisms.

Not just you, I've definitely seen it used like that too. I think the 'don't like, don't buy' was originally meant as a 'vote with your wallet' sort of thing but as always, some people probably have twisted the meaning a bit :#
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I agree with Lyndsay. That there should be room for different kinds of play at the same time. I'm glad she see things this way, because The Sims 4 has many types of players. Also, in my experience the game isn't half as buggy as some would have it seem. *shrug*

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited September 2020

She did not claim the pack was her idea. She claimed it was her opinion that it was a good idea to move forward with it.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I agree with Lyndsay. That there should be room for different kinds of play at the same time. I'm glad she see things this way, because The Sims 4 has many types of players. Also, in my experience the game isn't half as buggy as some would have it seem. *shrug*

I’m sorry, I paid good money for this game. I’m not going to shrug my shoulder and say ‘meh’ when there are blatant problems. Good for you for not having bugs, or just ignoring them, I’m personally sick of needing mods to fix the game. I shouldn’t have to use mods to fix a game.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    @Sharonia I'm sorry that you experience so much bugginess. I don't know why, but I don't experience all that in my game. So, I can't really complain about it.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top