Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One Of The Gurus claimed it was their idea that they created the star war pack, not EA?

Comments

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    I'm so glad she admitted it so people can stop babying the gurus and acting like their puppets who are completely controlled by EA. Once again the gurus are doing what they want and instead of listening to their fan base and finally giving us things like bunk beds. I'm tired of their excuses as to why this and that isn't in the game cause now it seems like there are blatantly ignoring people.

Why is this pack being released over other highly requested items? None of their surveys alluded to this pack and instead had descriptions of family, romance, and better personalities so instead of taking that feedback, they use all of their resources on an extremely niche pack???

The survey was earlier this year, these packs take around a year to make, possibly longer. There's no question in my mind that this pack was already well into the works when the official survey was done (I have no idea when that other unofficial survey was, the first I'd seen it was recently when everyone was quoting it as if it was EA that put it out). SimGuru Romeo said in an interview that him and a team of artists were sent to Galaxy's Edge to get pictures etc for their work on this pack. Considering covid shut the area down earlier this year, I'd guess they went in 2019 to check the place out. There's no way they got that level of detail into this pack in the last couple months since the parks re-opened.

As SimGuru Lyndsay in her tweet thread, they are working on multiple projects at any given time and this doesn't mean that they haven't listened. She was careful with her wording which leads me to believe that some of the things players want are being worked on. She already stated they are working on the skin tones and that will be an update released in fall.

Personally, I think they've done alright listening to their fans over the last 6 years. We got University, Seasons, Cats and Dogs. Two community voted stuff packs. People wanted firefighters back, they came back. Sure maybe it all wasn't as quick as people would have liked, but that doesn't mean they're not listening while they're also trying to do new things too. One pack that people don't like and suddenly they've never listened? :/

She's taking responsibility because that's what leaders do, but I'm sure she didn't just come into this idea all on her own either. EA owns the rights to Star Wars for a few more years and I'm sure they wanted to get as much use out of it as they can, while they can.

Alright, let's get into this.

1. About the surveys, one is from 2017 and has details about romance and a snow world. Still haven't gotten those yet and those have been highly requested yet a niche pack is given more priority.

2. If they listened to the community then answer this: why did it take six years to get better skin tones? Why are they no bunk beds? Why are packs from years ago like Dine Out still buggy and players must resort to mods? Why are the worlds getting smaller and smaller? Why don't the sims have more traits and personality? You actually think just because they gave us packs that are expected of a Sims game that they are listening to us? Firefighters are nothing more than those Sulani neighbors in uniform do you know how easy it was to code that in?

People wouldn't have had a problem if the pack was general or if this pack came out after we got everything that was requested for. So yes they aren't listening to their community if they think making a niche pack in a sandbox game is the right way to go.

3. It doesn't matter if Lydsya was the only one who came up with this idea or if 10 people along with did it. The bottom line is I'm gonna constructively criticize the decision made and just glad she proves once again that gurus aren't in touch with their fanbase, want to make a game that appeals to them, and have some control over things.

Hear hear!👏👏
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    edited September 2020
    When people say "that's not what the majority wants", or "it's a life simulation" or "what about highly requested content" or "blah blah Star Wars, blah blah"... The thing is, it's just a game pack. It's not taking up an EP. We now get two EPs a year (so it seems) just like we did in past iterations, and last year it was Island Living and University. This year we got the highly voted and requested Eco Lifestyle (which I still personally think could be considered "niche" and been a GP but it is what it is.) Game packs have notoriously been the packs to cater to the unusual, the experimental, or the "niche" crowd of players. They are smaller packs that try something new for the non-majority. It should be expected that when a GP is announced to come, that the theme will very probably be something out of the ordinary or Occult related. Game packs are intended to be the packs that can be skipped if it doesn't suit your preferences as a player, and you won't miss too much if you do. After six years, why does this surprise people? Is everyone so addicted that we need every single pack to cater to us or we'll have a meltdown?

However. I understand that there are many highly requested things that players have been more than patiently waiting for, and at the six year mark, I can completely get why people are getting frustrated and angry. I'm frustrated and angry about the things I've been rallying for too. And I believe that those things should be addressed and addressed soon, or the discord is going to continue to escalate with every. single. announcement. Even a straight up "no" answer to some requests (say, like freeing the babies) would at least allow many players (not all, of course, there will always be people who won't let things go) to eventually make peace with it and either move forward with what to expect realistically, or walk away from the game altogether.

Devs, just address the things. Just do it. Why put yourself and everyone else through this torment? If you're going to extend this iteration for more years to come, why wouldn't you just offer what players ask for? Why wouldn't you prioritize? If Maxis devs do have leeway to make content decisions, then why wouldn't you find a way to just address the demands?

I'm looking forward to the Star Wars pack. I really am. But I'll admit, it could have waited. Even as a fantastical player, I fully expected Fairies to be the next "weird" thing to come because of an official Twitter poll from years ago. Or even Happy Haunts, that had several threads begging for it to be a GP last year. And I'm tired of requesting Fears and flaws for Sims and improved behaviors and other things. I'm also tired of hostility, of players turning against each other, of fighting with people on the forums, of seeing people complain, and complaining myself.

Devs. With all due respect, please do something about it.
    #Team Occult
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited September 2020
    This is very concerning to know that they are behind all this. People defending the gurus & blaming EA was a complete joke lol. Wish they would replace her with someone more qualified & able to give what the players have been asking for 6 years. I give her props on taking responsibility
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    I'm glad Lyndsay came out and addressed that particular issue, but I'm very curious as to why EA puts out those surveys for us (note that I'm not referring to the specific survey that had Star Wars content rated as dead last as that wasn't an official EA survey).

Wouldn't an executive producer be interested in what the game's fan-base wants (as indicated by EA's own official surveys)? I mean, they have surveys, Twitter, and these forums for a reason, correct?

If the executive producer can sideline what the fan-base has been clamouring for since a game's release only to pitch their own interests, where does that leave future development of the sims franchise? A hit-or-miss approach to what they toss out next? Continuing with their own vision for TS5 rather than what the collective community wants at the core of the next rendition of the game (because, surely, another go at the failed online venture will work this time)?

Is it their game? Or is it ours? Yes, they have to design and produce it. But it will only be as successful as their market research. The reason, I believe, the sims franchise has been so successful is because there hasn't been a competitor to it.

Thankfully, that appears to be changing. And, interestingly (and rather tellingly), Paralives, for example, is being built in a way that incorporates much of the feedback relative to the Sims (ease of building, placing objects, character creation, etc.). My plum! Paralives' character naming ability already surpasses The Sims (and The Sims has had over 20 years to do better). That's what makes any game great -- building it for and with the players in mind.

Why am I paying for a life simulation game (yes, even with mermaids and vampires) only to have these "storyline" packs with very little replay value pushed out? Granted, that's just my opinion, but The Sims is supposed to be a simulation, right? How can I play a simulation when what happens isn't based on my sim's AI/wants/fears/needs but rather on my sim's participation in a closed-ended storyline? That's what I have a real issue with -- not the Star Wars brand addition to the game in and of itself, but the way it's being implemented.

I really think the game's direction has or is changing from a true simulation to something else entirely.

As for Lyndsay's idea to add this sort of pack into The Sims, I've been having flashbacks of Star Wars Galaxies ever since seeing that Star Wars trailer. Not necessarily a bad thing, it's just...which game am I playing? Am I creating a sim to visit a small "world" where my hand is basically held to follow a preset storyline (OK, one of three possible storylines)? Or am I creating a sim to explore a world of possibilities in an environment that I set up using the tools that The Sims gives me? Because they aren't the same.

For those of you who play The Sims as a simulation, where is the fun in the closed storylines? I mean, initially it might be interesting if there's good writing and what not. But where is the long-term interest in that type of thing? Even worse, those storyline experiences aren't much more than "go here," "click," and "repeat."

I enjoyed Jungle Adventures until I realized there was only one temple to explore (not sure why, but I thought there were three).

I enjoyed the idea of Strangerville's plot. But very soon after starting the storyline it became quite clear that it wasn't "deep." In truth, it was boring and repetitive in the way I had to direct my sim to carry it out. So much potential. I've not had any interest to "play" it again since.

Before Eco Lifestyle came out, I was wary of what the pack would introduce. Turns out, I had a right to be. But at least I have a new world that suits my apocalyptic storyline (even if there aren't many lots in it). And, thanks to the modders out there, I could play my game without worry of NAPS gone wrong (among other things).

What will Star Wars bring in terms of long-term gameplay and playability? I will be interested to read the reviews from the players who are chomping at the bit for this pack. Star Wars brand aside, past history indicates they will be disappointed.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Her response when someone said The Sims is a "Life Simulator"
    Totally see your POV. I don't think The Sims has to be ONLY one or the other though. Part of life can be raising toddlers and part of life can be taking my sim family on an adventure.

So that sorta read to me like for sure the sims is definitely going to be going in a different direction and not stick to a "life sim' game.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020
    Well that's certainly brave to claim it even after the reaction to it

Then again, she didn't say it was her idea, she only said she thought it was a good idea. I still think this pack is definitely more EA's idea than the gurus because they're the one with the Star Wars deal to profit from.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    SimGuruLyndsay's tweet does not say it was her idea. It says that she thought it was a good idea.

The question:

The answer:

Just popping in to re-quote this because it seems that a lot of people are inserting subtext that isn't there in an effort to fire up the internet mob.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    Totally see your POV. I don't think The Sims has to be ONLY one or the other though. Part of life can be raising toddlers and part of life can be taking my sim family on an adventure.

So that sorta read to me like for sure the sims is definitely going to be going in a different direction and not stick to a "life sim' game.

She believes that the sims4 can be all sorts of things, a life simulator, an adventure simulator, a trend simulator...

At this rate, the sims4 is never going to be complete and it's going to feel lacking in every single aspect.
    edited September 2020
    logion wrote: »

She believes that the sims4 can be all sorts of things, a life simulator, an adventure simulator, a trend simulator...

At this rate, the sims4 is never going to be complete and it's going to feel lacking in every single aspect.

Seems like they forgot what made the sims what it is today. They are completely out of touch with the community & what makes the sims a beloved franchise. With someone like her, I don’t trust the direction of the sims anymore. I just don’t understand how Star Wars became their priority over highly requested features that have been asked for since the game started. The game is going so many directions that it’s becoming a complete mess now. The space ship is probably a loading screen or rabbit hole lol. They clearly didn’t do a good job on this “never before “ pack.
  • EldraiEldrai Posts: 25 Member
    edited September 2020
    I read an interview with her recently where she says that she and the Gurus are huge fans of Star Wars so she probably is happy to have the crossover even if the community mostly is not.

So first we have the Game Changers--who most simmers don't believe accurately represent us if you consider the recent poll on the forums--and now the Gurus who definitely seem out of touch right now. At this point why bother even asking us about packs if they're just going to do what they decide? I wouldn't even mind a delay for the next pack if it meant they fixed some of the bugs or re-considered their ideas for future packs.

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    Justin wrote: »

Seems like they forgot what made the sims what it is today. They are completely out of touch with the community & what makes the sims a beloved franchise. With someone like her, I don’t trust the direction of the sims anymore. I just don’t understand how Star Wars became their priority over highly requested features that have been asked for since the game started. The game is going so many directions that it’s becoming a complete mess now. The space ship is probably a loading screen or rabbit hole lol. They clearly didn’t do a good job on this “never before “ pack.

I doubt these gurus have played the previous sims games as they would know what's missing if they did.
    edited September 2020
    Finbar659 wrote: »

I doubt these gurus have played the previous sims games as they would know what's missing if they did.

They actually shared their Sims experience as part of the 20th anniversary. Most if not all had played the previous games extensively. Some had worked on them.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    DUH! I can’t believe this is a shocking revelation. The leadership at Maxis has ALWAYS been involved in choosing exactly what they make. The annoying “EA chooses!!!” crowd should log off for a few days and research the info MAXIS has told us. So thirsty for new info they forget what we’ve already been told.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »

They actually shared their Sims experience as part of the 20th anniversary. Most if not all had played the previous games extensively. Some had worked on them.

True, and I believe Lyndsay goes all the way back to Sims 1. I believe she also said she's a family player so she must give a lot of support for other play styles.
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »

True, and I believe Lyndsay goes all the way back to Sims 1. I believe she also said she's a family player so she must give a lot of support for other play styles.

She does? Cause I have yet to see any support on family development here in the sims 4. Family gameplay is lacking in depth. Especially if star wars was her priority.

She does? Cause I have yet to see any support on family development here in the sims 4. Family gameplay is lacking in depth. Especially if star wars was her priority.

Again, her post does not say this.
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited September 2020
    Is it really the end of the world ?, okay I totally get that some people dont want this but why not just skip it, hopefully the next pack is more your game style, atleast it's not an expansion, it's just a game pack

Ps the sims 4 isnt over yet, still plenty time for all types of gameplay
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2020
    Nikkih wrote: »
    Is it really the end of the world ?, okay I totally get that some people dont want this but why not just skip it, hopefully the next pack is more your game style, atleast it's not an expansion, it's just a game pack

What I'm getting more from these posts is not so much about the pack itself (say, versus a "farming" pack), but rather the overall direction the game is moving toward (read my post above to see what I mean -- I don't want to repeat it).

Not the end of the world. But is the sims franchise slowly dying? If it continues the way they're doing now... it will :#
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Lyndsay Pearson is the GM of the Sims. She has two roles at Maxis. She's the general manager and boss of all the gurus right? She is also the executive producer of The Sims.

She is one of the bigwigs in the boardroom! She is a corporate guru then. Just not a regular guru.
    edited September 2020
    It may seem like its dying too you however it's still selling great, its dying in the sense how us old simmers probs know it, all do with respect just because a few packs that has been recently been released is probably not what you liked doesn't mean the sims 4 as a whole is going down, theirs still alot of simmers enjoying the game and as I said on my post the sims 4 is still releasing content

I can also bet that half the simmers complaining about the new star wars pack will still buy it, my first pet for example a controversial pack even sold well
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited September 2020

They did make parenthood specifically for family play and a lot of stuff packs are centred around family play (toddler stuff, kids stuff, knitting, laundry, backyard stuff)
    It may seem like its dying too you however it's still selling great, its dying in the sense how us old simmers probs know it, all do with respect just because a few packs that has been recently been released is probably not what you liked doesn't mean the sims 4 as a whole is going down, theirs still alot of simmers enjoying the game and as I said on my post the sims 4 is still releasing content

I can also bet that half the simmers complaining about the new star wars pack will still buy it

Selling great does not cover the fact that there is lack of in depth compared to previous sims series. The general basic stuff.

Like LGR said, sure it runs well but doesn't cover the fact why so much base game content was stripped away on release.
    Onverser wrote: »

They did make parenthood specifically for family play and a lot of stuff packs bring stuff for family play (toddler stuff, kids stuff, knitting, laundry, backyard stuff)

All separate dlcs. Money grabbing.
    I didnt say there wasn't lack of depth did I? I said a game is selling well therefore it's not dying, money talks in a business