Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discussion on recent SimGuru statements on Twitter

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    I thought she was completely professional. She’s the Executive Producer, not a community manager.

I thought that her response was textbook perfect. She stated that she understood their position, and then explained her position. One does not have to agree with her position, but her conduct was neither unprofessional or condescending.

I think that’s what bugs me about it. It’s like they’re reading answers from a How to Deal with Customers 101 textbook. It’s a bog-standard tactic to placate the other side, but under the surface I don’t believe they care about the other side’s feedback.

If they do, you say they're talking down to you. If they don't you say they're unprofessional. It seems like a carnival game where you lose no matter what.

I’d rather they didn’t engage at all. Or at least own their decisions in a way that says, “We’re going to do what we think is best." At least that way they’re not stringing people along for years.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2020
    I thought she was completely professional. She’s the Executive Producer, not a community manager.

I thought that her response was textbook perfect. She stated that she understood their position, and then explained her position. One does not have to agree with her position, but her conduct was neither unprofessional or condescending.

I think that’s what bugs me about it. It’s like they’re reading answers from a How to Deal with Customers 101 textbook. It’s a bog-standard tactic to placate the other side, but under the surface I don’t believe they care about the other side’s feedback.

If they do, you say they're talking down to you. If they don't you say they're unprofessional. It seems like a carnival game where you lose no matter what.

I’d rather they didn’t engage at all. Or at least own their decisions in a way that says, “We’re going to do what we think is best." At least that way they’re not stringing people along for years.

And if they don't engage at all then they're "ignoring the player base". It's set up so that you guys have a grievance no matter what.

We're six years in. The Sims 4 is reaching the end of its development cycle, and the game is not going to be something that it isn't. At some point you're going to have to come to terms with the reality that the one stringing you along is you. If you're not happy with The Sims 4, more Sims 4 isn't going to change that.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    We have had adventures before in World Adventures for Sims 3 so it isn't new, neither is the advertising tie up for the benefit of both parties.

Latest Trailer is on YouTube....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=oe5N_0TQOkM&feature=emb_logo

If this game pack has a quarter of the content that World Adventures has, it will be very robust, but I seriously doubt that it will. You really can't compare the two. WA has tombs and quite a few long stories, some that span over all the worlds, but it also has new traits, new lifetime wishes, three new worlds with corresponding skills and the ability to buy vacation homes there. There's reasons to go even if you don't want to adventure.
  • username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member

And if they don't engage at all then they're "ignoring the player base". It's set up so that you guys have a grievance no matter what.

You certainly wouldn’t hear me saying that. And they’re already ignoring the player base. They’re just doing it while keeping people sweet with promises and understanding. Meanwhile they do whatever they please. What’s the difference?

They haven't made any promises. They didn't make a promise about toddlers, vampires, weather, etc. In fact, they've been very good about not sending those sorts of messages. But that hasn't stopped you all from inserting subtext into everything. That's where all of this comes from. You can see it right here. The forums are all aflame with people saying that she said things she didn't, that she was being unprofessional when she wasn't, and that her tone was condescending when that wasn't the case. What's more, you're calling it "useful feedback".

This is the sort of thing that I'm referring to when I say that this community has a corrosive effect on the soul. You're not listening, you're reacting, and you're railing against things that weren't said and promises that were never made. And the community thinks that it is righteous for doing so. It's cool if you're not into The Sims 4, but it isn't cool to argue against things that never were. That's not fair.

very much agree with this. i really get a self righteous vibe from 90 percent of the sims community. or at least the vocally negative portion. do other gamers take things so personally, when a game isnt 100% their way?
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member

You certainly wouldn’t hear me saying that. And they’re already ignoring the player base. They’re just doing it while keeping people sweet with promises and understanding. Meanwhile they do whatever they please. What’s the difference?

They haven't made any promises. They didn't make a promise about toddlers, vampires, weather, etc. In fact, they've been very good about not sending those sorts of messages. But that hasn't stopped you all from inserting subtext into everything. That's where all of this comes from. You can see it right here. The forums are all aflame with people saying that she said things she didn't, that she was being unprofessional when she wasn't, and that her tone was condescending when that wasn't the case. What's more, you're calling it "useful feedback".

This is the sort of thing that I'm referring to when I say that this community has a corrosive effect on the soul. You're not listening, you're reacting, and you're railing against things that weren't said and promises that were never made. And the community thinks that it is righteous for doing so. It's cool if you're not into The Sims 4, but it isn't cool to argue against things that never were. That's not fair.

if someone feels she’s using a condescending tone/sounds unprofessional, that’s their right to feel that way. i don’t see an issue with people who take it as a condescending attitude - just because you say it wasn’t doesn’t make it true.
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)

if someone feels she’s using a condescending tone/sounds unprofessional, that’s their right to feel that way. i don’t see an issue with people who take it as a condescending attitude - just because you say it wasn’t doesn’t make it true.

What was condescending about it?
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    The only answer that would placate people right now other than they're canceling release, which is not going to happen, is that the update is giving us tons of long widely requested stuff.

(Here's hoping!)

Anything else they say, even if they're prefectly polite (which I think they're being) is not going to change anyone's mind.

I do think the person saying "life simulation players want more related kind of content" is off. All of the EPs, all of the SPs and 5 out of 9 GPs have been reality-based. The past several packs have all been reality-based. Four packs not grounded in reality does count as a sprinkle of supernatural content. And that's fine. That's also why they're GPs and not EPs.

I've learned that family players count themselves as a completely different entity, as they don't believe packs like Dine Out or Get Famous appeal to them, and I get why -- there's not much for children to do in most packs, even in the occult ones (which annoys many occult players too). But you still can't deny that all those packs serve realistic gameplay and life simulation.

They may not be packs we enjoy even within our gameplay style, just like I don't enjoy Realm of Magic even though I love occults, but they are exactly that.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I just want bug fixes, and my Vampires ( even ones not being actively played) to act like Vampires, then I would be happy. Im not a huge fan of the new coming pack, but even after my own thoughts I had, others help me see other sides of waus to think about it, as they did with Knitting too.

I think that the gurus may try to listen but there is only so much they can do, its mostly all above them that is possibly responsible for what is being created, or fixed ( or not fixed as more often done) hope things improve, because overall I enjoy most of the game, when the parts I enjoy aren't broken.

i think it depends on how people read her tone. as someone said previously it seems like she’s just responding as if she read a handbook on how to talk to customers. the “i see your point, here’s my point” can be taken in a variety of ways - i’m just saying we shouldn’t invalidate opinions bc we don’t see it a certain way! same with you, you don’t see it as condescending and it’s your right to feel that way.

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020

Right here in this tweet she promises the community that feedback is being taken into account. Plain as day.

i think it depends on how people read her tone. as someone said previously it seems like she’s just responding as if she read a handbook on how to talk to customers. the “i see your point, here’s my point” can be taken in a variety of ways - i’m just saying we shouldn’t invalidate opinions bc we don’t see it a certain way! same with you, you don’t see it as condescending and it’s your right to feel that way.

She validated the concern and explained her position, as is practice when discussing an issue. Furthermore, the reply from another poster indicates that this tone was understood.

There comes a point where "it's all just opinion" loses traction. What we actually need to stop doing is putting words into people's mouths, or inserting subtext that isn't there.

Right here in this tweet she promises the community that feedback is being taken into account. Plain as day.

"Does not mean that we are ignoring feedback" is not "I promise you the following....".

"Does not mean that we are ignoring feedback" is not "I promise you the following....".

so if they’re not ignoring it then what do you think they’re doing with it? either you ignore feedback, or you take it into account...

• drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited September 2020

A professional response:
    “I see your point of view! I’m sorry this pack doesn’t interest you but I’m confident other projects in development will!”

A dismissive/ tone-deaf response:
    “I see your point of view! I don’t think....”

I don’t call it unprofessional, but I also don’t consider it to be a good response by any means. If you consider that textbook perfect I think you should go get a refresher or check your bias. She had a good rebuttal but that would mean it was a debate, and they don’t want to debate with their fans.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member

A professional response:
    “I see your point of view! I’m sorry this pack doesn’t interest you but I’m confident other projects in development will!”

A dismissive/ tone-deaf response:
    “I see your point of view! I don’t think....”

I don’t call it unprofessional, but I also don’t consider it to be a good response by any means. If you consider that textbook perfect I think you should go get a refresher or check your bias. She had a good rebuttal but that would mean it was a debate, and they don’t want to debate with their fans.

I feel like those responses read exactly the same, but you're right. It's a matter of perception.
    edited September 2020

so if they’re not ignoring it then what do you think they’re doing with it? either you ignore feedback, or you take it into account...

Considering that there are things that the players have wanted that have been included, they do listen. But there isn't, and has never been any promise to that. You don't like this pack, and I'm not really digging it either, but that doesn't make it okay to invent messaging that isn't there. And if doing the right thing doesn't interest you, perhaps the reality that this approach isn't going to be effective will, because it isn't a useful thing to do either from the standpoint of getting what you want in the game.

A lot of people weren't and aren't interested in this pack, and they are interested in other aspects that they'd like to see fleshed out. That's a reasonable thing, and it is an end that is better served without framing words as promises that were never made in the first place, or inserting negative tones that aren't present. That's not to say that the community is going to stop doing it, I know better than that. It is why I'm not going to continue to press the argument. However, these are all things that I think the community should think about, and that needed to be said at this time where they're looking to string up someone for doing things they didn't do.

With that said, I'm off again. Small doses and all that.
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I think how they have been unprofessional with the handling of the game (not fixing bugs, shallow packs, excuses instead of facts why things can not be done... yet modders do what they claim is too hard or not achievable) leaves a soar taste in many customers mouth. Then this newest pack is not winning and angered many many customers. It may be seen that she is being condescending to some customers... or she is being condescending. This is not unusual for customers that have been let down, angered, and feel like a product they love is being taken from them for a wannabe product that is called the same thing. There treatment of the customers have not been top notch or even middle notch. Also they are throwing their customers that supported this game for years, under the bus for fast money.

For me, I hold my opinion because I have lost all respect for this team, and I do not want another email. I will say, in a nice manner that what I am reading seems (I said seems) like they are doing damage control like any business would do with this type of backlash.
    the Sims has struggled lately (as in since Sims 4 came out lol) with PR. even with the gamechanger program, they’re having big issues. they should overhaul their current PR system/staff.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yeah no, even though I won't be buying this pack rn, and there's a few things I don't like about it, I really don't see where she's being rude here 🤷🏻‍♀️ she's also not saying it was all her decision for that matter, just that she ultimately approved the suggestion (if anything this reads more as the "I stand behind my company's decision" jargon than anything else, and let's be real what else is she gonna say). People are reading so much into this, partly because they're angry. And I get where they're coming from, because it's true, there are still so many basic things missing from the sims 4 (real policemen, group activities, slow dancing, pillow fights, sleepovers, real babies, better teens, better personalities, fears and wants, useful meaningful aspirations ...) that are honestly a lot more needed rn, but alas, this is what we're getting. It merits a discussion but it doesn't merit mindlessly attacking every guru we come across and putting words and intentions in their mouths that just aren't there ..
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    logion wrote: »
    She is talking about that the sims4 is supposed to be not only a life simulator but also an adventure simulator, a trend simulator... etc.

Completely disregarding that the sims 4 is lacking in all of those aspects so that's why nothing feels complete.

This. A thousand times this!

Can we please at least change the name of the franchise from "The Sims" to "The Explorers?" That way we can pass the name on to another company who is committed to a simulation game (looking at you Paralives)? I mean, it's in the name people..."Sims" for simulation, not MMORPG, not adventure, not first-person shooter, etc.

I mean, what kind of simulation would a flight simulator be if we had only three flight paths to choose from? But we don't; in a real flight simulator we get an open world where we can fly to wherever we choose -- even if means we never make that runway.

I really love the idea of people getting all sorts of different packs and themes (I do!) -- not everything will be liked by every player. True! But if you want to add "pick your path" to adventure cross-branding, at least make sure you've done your best to finish the simulation game you sold us first.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited September 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Yeah no, even though I won't be buying this pack rn, and there's a few things I don't like about it, I really don't see where she's being rude here 🤷🏻‍♀️ she's also not saying it was all her decision for that matter, just that she ultimately approved the suggestion (if anything this reads more as the "I stand behind my company's decision" jargon than anything else, and let's be real what else is she gonna say). People are reading so much into this, partly because they're angry. And I get where they're coming from, because it's true, there are still so many basic things missing from the sims 4 (real policemen, group activities, slow dancing, pillow fights, sleepovers, real babies, better teens, better personalities, fears and wants, useful meaningful aspirations ...) that are honestly a lot more needed rn, but alas, this is what we're getting. It merits a discussion but it doesn't merit mindlessly attacking every guru we come across and putting words and intentions in their mouths that just aren't there ..

I think she could have at least put the star wars topic in the official surveys to see if it was highly requested. Obviously they didn't, and it was very disliked by majority
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top