Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

One Of The Gurus claimed it was their idea that they created the star war pack, not EA?

FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
https://twitter.com/SimGuruLyndsay/status/1300840093985329152

This was a little interesting as I thought it was usually the EA that makes the decision for the Gurus on what pack they should create. But it seems like they can put their own ideas into the game if they wish. But on a brightish note.... they are working on multiple projects still so I am curious to see what they bring after star wars

Comments

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I must clarify, avoid replying any hateful tweets to the gurus! Hate doesn't bring us anywhere.

It's fine if you want to give a certain feedback on what you want to see in the game or what should have been done etc
  • LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member
    Fascinating.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    That doesn’t surprise me.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    Reading that SimGuru Romeo designed the pack has made me more optimist.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't know... I kind of don't believe this... or I think she is leaving out the details.... but that's just my opinion. I still think there was someone bigger behind this one like Disney or whoever.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    edited November 2023
    Post edited by Mareah on
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    Not surprising, the board probably takes all sorts of ideas from the dev team and chooses what they believe will be the most profitable regardless of fan demand.
  • mogshazmogshaz Posts: 24 Member
    > @HayleeSims said:
    > I'm so glad she admitted it so people can stop babying the gurus and acting like their puppets who are completely controlled by EA. Once again the gurus are doing what they want and instead of listening to their fan base and finally giving us things like bunk beds. I'm tired of their excuses as to why this and that isn't in the game cause now it seems like there are blatantly ignoring people.
    >
    > Why is this pack being released over other highly requested items? None of their surveys alluded to this pack and instead had descriptions of family, romance, and better personalities so instead of taking that feedback, they use all of their resources on an extremely niche pack???

Its not even just requested content. They can't fix bugs that have been in this game for years and they are trying to sell yet another game pack that won't address any of the games problems, but I guess it will provide some people a couple hours of shallow product placement?
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    this is what happens when you put unprofessional people to work for the game. they will put their own likings/preferences on top priority before anything else.
    there's the possibility ea made her say it just so it wouldn't be so evident that this pack is just an star wars advertisement. though, most of the sims devs are geeky so it wouldn't surprise me that both facets agreed on doing this

True, I have seen this problem in other games where developer's don't take the feedback and design the game regardless if you like it or not

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    SimGuruLyndsay's tweet does not say it was her idea. It says that she thought it was a good idea.

The question:

The answer:

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    She's the Executive Producer and GM of The Sims. She probably didn't get there without a thick skin. I think she'll be ok. 👍😊

Hope you're right, but even so I guess all the negative comments about this must be upsetting, and now people will be coming for her personally too. That's got to be hard, executive producer or not.
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    SimGuruLyndsay's tweet does not say it was her idea. It says that she thought it was a good idea.

The question:

The answer:

But she specifically says she "decided" it was a good idea which means she had made some type of choice when coming up with the next pack.
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    logion wrote: »
    *sigh

I hope her future ideas will involve something that resembles a life simulator.

ME, TOO!

And even if it wasn’t her idea, she green lighted it.

I do wonder if she’s just taking it on the chin since she is the GM.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I knew it.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I don‘t understand why people think that Sim Gurus have zero say in the themes of upcoming packs. Strangerville is their fault after all…
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Unprofessional
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited September 2020
    It’s been said before by Sim Guru Grant that they have a lot of freedom with the content that goes into packs. However the tweet doesn’t say that Lyndsay came up with the idea but that she thought it’s a great idea.

(And realistically, it would be highly unprofessional for her to say she thinks the idea is rubbish)
    I read an interview with her recently where she says that she and the Gurus are huge fans of Star Wars so she probably is happy to have the crossover even if the community mostly is not.
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    I'm so glad she admitted it so people can stop babying the gurus and acting like their puppets who are completely controlled by EA. Once again the gurus are doing what they want and instead of listening to their fan base and finally giving us things like bunk beds. I'm tired of their excuses as to why this and that isn't in the game cause now it seems like there are blatantly ignoring people.

Why is this pack being released over other highly requested items? None of their surveys alluded to this pack and instead had descriptions of family, romance, and better personalities so instead of taking that feedback, they use all of their resources on an extremely niche pack???

The survey was earlier this year, these packs take around a year to make, possibly longer. There's no question in my mind that this pack was already well into the works when the official survey was done (I have no idea when that other unofficial survey was, the first I'd seen it was recently when everyone was quoting it as if it was EA that put it out). SimGuru Romeo said in an interview that him and a team of artists were sent to Galaxy's Edge to get pictures etc for their work on this pack. Considering covid shut the area down earlier this year, I'd guess they went in 2019 to check the place out. There's no way they got that level of detail into this pack in the last couple months since the parks re-opened.

As SimGuru Lyndsay in her tweet thread, they are working on multiple projects at any given time and this doesn't mean that they haven't listened. She was careful with her wording which leads me to believe that some of the things players want are being worked on. She already stated they are working on the skin tones and that will be an update released in fall.

Personally, I think they've done alright listening to their fans over the last 6 years. We got University, Seasons, Cats and Dogs. Two community voted stuff packs. People wanted firefighters back, they came back. Sure maybe it all wasn't as quick as people would have liked, but that doesn't mean they're not listening while they're also trying to do new things too. One pack that people don't like and suddenly they've never listened? :/

She's taking responsibility because that's what leaders do, but I'm sure she didn't just come into this idea all on her own either. EA owns the rights to Star Wars for a few more years and I'm sure they wanted to get as much use out of it as they can, while they can.

Alright, let's get into this.

1. About the surveys, one is from 2017 and has details about romance and a snow world. Still haven't gotten those yet and those have been highly requested yet a niche pack is given more priority.

2. If they listened to the community then answer this: why did it take six years to get better skin tones? Why are they no bunk beds? Why are packs from years ago like Dine Out still buggy and players must resort to mods? Why are the worlds getting smaller and smaller? Why don't the sims have more traits and personality? You actually think just because they gave us packs that are expected of a Sims game that they are listening to us? Firefighters are nothing more than those Sulani neighbors in uniform do you know how easy it was to code that in?

People wouldn't have had a problem if the pack was general or if this pack came out after we got everything that was requested for. So yes they aren't listening to their community if they think making a niche pack in a sandbox game is the right way to go.

3. It doesn't matter if Lydsya was the only one who came up with this idea or if 10 people along with did it. The bottom line is I'm gonna constructively criticize the decision made and just glad she proves once again that gurus aren't in touch with their fanbase, want to make a game that appeals to them, and have some control over things.