Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why origin..

2...Next

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    There is no security anywhere on the web these days. It is up to you to keep up to date with OS security updates and choosing a very strong password and a separate one each app. important for you. I understand some people can download a pirated Sims 4 not from Origin but no security at all comes with that.

I don't particularly like others getting things free that I paid the right money for and there is less piracy from EA taking this step with Origin. It's just unfortunate that it has to be this way now.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Origin was never about Piracy, if it were they could easily change the .exe files of the game to not need it after the game has been cracked by pirates.

It's about the profitability of trading people's personal information and using it to manipulate people.
    raw
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    But you do not need internet to play sims 4 with origin? you only need internet for installation and gallery
    also personally I do not wish to accumulate big hoard of discs I use once in 3 years to install something
    just not practical and discs are dying out we in 2019 it is becoming old tech

one thing is tho idk how long we can trust origin to be around like what if they just stop having origin? then what? we just lose our games or?
    also they really should come up with some new way to sell games irl because atm they just sell them in game boxes even if there is only a code which seems rather silly to me like you really need to use that much packaging for a code ea?
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    But you do not need internet to play sims 4 with origin? you only need internet for installation and gallery
    also personally I do not wish to accumulate big hoard of discs I use once in 3 years to install something
    just not practical and discs are dying out we in 2019 it is becoming old tech

one thing is tho idk how long we can trust origin to be around like what if they just stop having origin? then what? we just lose our games or?
    also they really should come up with some new way to sell games irl because atm they just sell them in game boxes even if there is only a code which seems rather silly to me like you really need to use that much packaging for a code ea?

I don't mind the Origin client. It's a lot better than SecuROM. That was a very nasty piece of security software for TS2!

I think if EA should ever do away with Origin, that they would somehow be able to transfer our games to whatever new thing they come up with.

What I'm more worried about is all the stuff I bought from the Sims 3 Store. I do have that collection downloaded and backed up just in case.

I never bought anything from the Sims 2 Store (a new concept to me back then), so I don't know what happened to any of that stuff when EA closed the store. None of those items are in The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Did anyone ever buy anything from the Sims 2 Store? If so, what happened to that stuff after EA closed the store?

• thesims33thesims33 Posts: 10 New Member
    I search for months a solution but if I understood right, there's no a way to play The sims 4 without Origin? I really wish I could play the sims 4 as the sims 2.. without have to worried if one day origin will be not available.
    I have some questions, I will try to ask.

1) Can I install the Sims 4 also in my laptop to go in the house at the beach I want to take the sims 4 with me. But my copy of The sims 4 is already installed on my PC here. What can I do?

2) I wish I could play the sims 4 always but I don't trust the 'software ' games , I always prefer the 'phisical copy' (DVD). What if between 6 or 7 years , Origin will be not supported or will change rules or anything else, and I will be not able to launch the Sims 4 anymore? (It already happened with other certain games and items that I've purchased by download and suddenly I could not play it anymore. I'm a player that last in long time. I'm not a player that not even in 10 years I forget to play The sims4. From time to time, I want always play my old games. (I still play a lot of my old games I own, so the same with the sims 4). I dont trust origin, and also, one day origin could be updates and it will reach a point it will be compatible with new pc systems, and maybe who is poor like me (that have always old pcs) it may have problems to launch the old (if still will exist) version of Origins. I mean.. I really don't like to play games virtually and that I can't have the DVD and install it when I wish on my pcs.
    Also expansions, that are just virtual... i must confess that I don't feel entusiastic at all, to purchase something that I don't have in my hands (Im from '80 generation so I grow up with 'phisicals' items... i really wish to launch the sims 4 without origin... sigh..

Ok, I finished.. sorry for long message... ^^'
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    thesims33 wrote: »
    I search for months a solution but if I understood right, there's no a way to play The sims 4 without Origin? I really wish I could play the sims 4 as the sims 2.. without have to worried if one day origin will be not available.
    I have some questions, I will try to ask.

1) Can I install the Sims 4 also in my laptop to go in the house at the beach I want to take the sims 4 with me. But my copy of The sims 4 is already installed on my PC here. What can I do?

2) I wish I could play the sims 4 always but I don't trust the 'software ' games , I always prefer the 'phisical copy' (DVD). What if between 6 or 7 years , Origin will be not supported or will change rules or anything else, and I will be not able to launch the Sims 4 anymore? (It already happened with other certain games and items that I've purchased by download and suddenly I could not play it anymore. I'm a player that last in long time. I'm not a player that not even in 10 years I forget to play The sims4. From time to time, I want always play my old games. (I still play a lot of my old games I own, so the same with the sims 4). I dont trust origin, and also, one day origin could be updates and it will reach a point it will be compatible with new pc systems, and maybe who is poor like me (that have always old pcs) it may have problems to launch the old (if still will exist) version of Origins. I mean.. I really don't like to play games virtually and that I can't have the DVD and install it when I wish on my pcs.
    Also expansions, that are just virtual... i must confess that I don't feel entusiastic at all, to purchase something that I don't have in my hands (Im from '80 generation so I grow up with 'phisicals' items... i really wish to launch the sims 4 without origin... sigh..

Ok, I finished.. sorry for long message... ^^'

you can install the game on multiple devices through origin it is no problem
    and no it is not possible to play ts4 with disc because discs do not exist in first place you just have codes now
    which yeah I get its bit iffy thinking what after origin but since we can't know anyways I prefer to just forget about it until there is problem
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    My Origin won't go online. I logged in to Origin & my internet works but still can't get online with Origin after the October 3rd update.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    My Origin won't go online. I logged in to Origin & my internet works but still can't get online with Origin after the October 3rd update.

Have you tried reinstalling Origin?
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    You can play when you're not connected to the internet, you just have to start the game first. And, as Muzick said, it protects against piracy.

That's the problem the OP is talking about. When Origin has problems it can trickle down to playing games. People were having issues getting their game library to launch. And if the player doesn't have the Sims 4 pinned to their task bar or know where to find the actual .exe for the game, it leaves them unable to play the game because Origin has issues. Or Origin wasn't kicking in enough to do what it needed to launch the game even in offline mode. I didn't try to play Sims 4 during the affected time period so I can't really say what the exact problem was.

When I have internet problems I can't play my Mass Effect 3 saves because it can't verify that I own the DLC that are used in those saves. And I don't play the multiplayer. And I get plum at EA for not letting me play my saves because of that. I shouldn't be punished for having internet issues just because of a small portion of players who pirate.

Anti-piracy measures also need to make sure that they don't turn around and create more pirates due to people wanting to bypass the problems the anti-piracy measures create.

Plus, the "it protects against piracy" argument is garbage. Nothing protects against piracy, because hackers eventually find a way around the protection. It's always the legitimate users who suffer.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    As far as piracy I wish they did things like some older consoles. Like the PlayStation and on of the Spiral games for example. A YouTuber made a video about this that I saw the other day where, if you pirate the game, it will make you lose progress on the way and if you have the patience to make it to the final boss it will send you back to the beginning having lost all progress. We need more companies that do that or some sort of similar thing.

Or like that one Serious Sam game with the immortal scorpion-man thing that keeps coming after you if you have a pirated copy of the game, or the one with the chicken gun! Personally, I'd build in a pop-up that interrupts the player on a regular interval after the first hour of gameplay (once every 2-3 minutes) that says, "Enjoying the game? Click here to pay for and register your copy on our site/Steam/ect." And it would sit there, with the game totally paused with that pop-up in their face and taking up practically the whole screen for, like, a whole minute before it timed out and let them keep playing. It would keep happening until the pirate finally paid for the game. Oh, they could play it, they could play it to the very end, but it would be much more annoying to do. I'd even make sure it's super-hard to mod out, so it could take a long, long time before anyone figures out how to make the pop-ups go away without paying. Now THAT'S how you turn piracy into profit...

Origin can definitely be a pain, but as far as a DRM measure is concerned, it's still better than SecuROM or easily-lost print materials that games of old used. As far as being a service and a launcher, it's not quite as good as Steam, even with offering the occasional free game, but it's not entirely awful...and, yeah, at least there's offline mode. Still, I think having clever ways to punish or annoy pirates in-game is much better DRM than attaching invasive DRM programs, attaching the game to a launcher or server of some kind, or having a code sheet printed on dark red paper packed in with the game that the player needs to get past a certain point...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

Plus, the "it protects against piracy" argument is garbage. Nothing protects against piracy, because hackers eventually find a way around the protection. It's always the legitimate users who suffer.
    Yeah still hearing about Simmers bragging about pirating Sims 4 and all the DLC. Origin doesn't protect against it and honestly the most vulnerable games client out there. I have hear far too often Origin accounts getting hacked and not recovered.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I really dislike Origin. Everytime I want to play, Origin decides to do some stupid update.

I miss the good old days where we didn't have to worry about anything.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I miss the old school ways of PC games that didn't have to depend on the Internet.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I miss the old school ways of PC games that didn't have to depend on the Internet.

That doesn't bother me as downloading a game that plays perfectly on my machine is a God send - not all of us like to run off to a store everytime we want a new game - and the internet - if you have a good one is pretty perfect most of the time. I never have issues with my internet and always have my game 10 minutes after it comes out. I like the instant gratification of that. It is really to each their own. I cannot go into stores so for some of us that is what is best for us.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• wingweaver84wingweaver84 Posts: 80 Member
    Probably one of the worst decisions ever made was to do away with disc drives. Granted most of my Sims 3 discs are scratched up and unusable (I couldn't keep them in their original cases for a reason I won't go into),I would gladly continue to use them instead of dealing with Origin for longer than I'd have to otherwise.
    A friendly reminder that Project Rene has not yet been confirmed as Sims 5.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Probably one of the worst decisions ever made was to do away with disc drives. Granted most of my Sims 3 discs are scratched up and unusable (I couldn't keep them in their original cases for a reason I won't go into),I would gladly continue to use them instead of dealing with Origin for longer than I'd have to otherwise.

You can still play TS3 through Steam without Origin but it's still in digital format. I think you can also make a back up of your game to disk if you like. The thing is, ever since they put TS4 on Steam, they stopped putting TS3 on sale.

You can still play TS3 through Steam without Origin but it's still in digital format. I think you can also make a back up of your game to disk if you like. The thing is, ever since they put TS4 on Steam, they stopped putting TS3 on sale.

Here's my bigger problem,though. I am no longer able to install Origin (and thus Sims 3) on this computer. Everytime I attempt it,the files says "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)". It worked fine before,so why is it doing this to me now?

• cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    edited September 2020
    Origin seems to be constantly glitchy and is always having "to go offline and end all active game sessions for a mandatory update" constantly.

Myself putting TS3 (bought through Steam) on Origin was a mistake. TS2 is a physical disk, not tied to Origin or Steam. Works fine on most PCs I have. Other than auto-updating, I don't see the need for clients. Heck, most of the PC games I own (dating back to even before Windows XP) are completely independent of any kind of client at all.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    I don’t like having to have Origin open to play the game, I like it better when it was just the game directly on my laptop.

Also when Origin bugs, which means often, you can’t play properly if at all.
    So would you say it's a better bet to have a Steam version rather than an Origin version (as in,bought on Steam and not imported from Origin)?
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2020
    So would you say it's a better bet to have a Steam version rather than an Origin version (as in,bought on Steam and not imported from Origin)?

I could be wrong, but I think I heard that Origin is still required even with Steam. For TS4, at least.