Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Community Reaction to Star Wars- a non biased opinion

I posted this in another topic but I feel it deserves its own thread.
This is the opinion of someone who isn’t a Game changer so therefore he is completely unbiased. And I think he hit the nail on the head with the issues.

I recommend people watch.
https://youtu.be/gPPm9zlrJAw

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    YongYea may not be the best you tuber to use as an example of non-biased. He is good at reporting on what people are angry about in the gaming industry and poking the bear. But I find him entertaining.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited August 2020
    He’s non biased because he isn’t a game changer.
    Also, yeah he reports the news, the fact this story has reached him says a lot.
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    87k dislikes vs 30k likes is a lot to be fair ^^
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

Not being a GC doesn't automatically indicate a lack of bias.

Well he has no reason to be biased.

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

I will concede though, he brought up some good points.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member

He does. His shtick is outrage for the most part, so most of the time, you can assume he's jumping on a bandwagon of criticism. That said, he's incredibly entertaining and I agree with him on this.
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Thank you for posting. But Star Wars is coming to Sims so let us hope EA doesn't do something goofy like this again just to fatten the bottom line.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    This is the opinion of someone who isn’t a Game changer so therefore he is completely unbiased. And I think he hit the nail on the head with the issues.

That 700 dollars? or so is over 6 years so buying in packs over the 6 years didn't hurt my purse and people now are getting packs much, much cheaper in EA Sales. I've got 6000+ hours of play out of it too with no lack of stuff.

That's no price compared to this with all packs! Train Simulator 2015 – £3,000 for Everything for a fanatical railway enthusiast.

And £649.99 for a Lego Millennium Falcon for a Star Wars fan if they are lucky.

If you are a true fan you can pay out a lot. I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett's books and probably have about 50 plus with calendars, diaries and all the Diskworld hardbacks, first editions and that's probably cost me well over £800 or so. Paying at the most £40 for a Sims 4 expansion pack occasionally doesn't seem too bad in comparison. (mind you they would make a profit if sold secondhand)!

Simburian wrote: »

That 700 dollars? or so is over 6 years so buying in packs over the 6 years didn't hurt my purse and people now are getting packs much, much cheaper in EA Sales. I've got 6000+ hours of play out of it too with no lack of stuff.

That's no price compared to this with all packs! Train Simulator 2015 – £3,000 for Everything for a fanatical railway enthusiast.

If you are a true fan you can pay out a lot. I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett's books and probably have about 50 plus with calendars, diaries and all the Diskworld hardbacks, first editions and that's probably cost me well over £800 or so. Paying at the most £40 for a Sims 4 expansion pack occasionally doesn't seem too bad in comparison. (mind you they would make a profit if sold secondhand)!

I think you are missing the point. Also you can’t compare a video game to a Lego set or books.
    To a new person coming into this series looking at over £700 or your regional equivalent for a video game that isn’t even completed yet and the majority of fans feel is STILL missing basic things is disgusting. Yes Sims games have always been expensive, but not this expensive. And at least the previous games feel complete.

Let’s not have my thread turned into a sims 3 store criticising thread. Because I’ll say it once, yes the store was a rip off. Yes it was expensive. But thanks to ads and pack registrations I have 8GB of store content for free. And I could play my sims 3 game without it, I did for years. I wouldn’t be so keen to play my sims 4 game without my dlc equivalents.

My niece got into the sims 4 for a little while. But she got bored of her own collection and her parents are relieved. Because to a newcomer to the series seeing £700 worth of dlc sitting in your main menu with the game reminding you what you don’t have is a huge turn off.

The complete cost is a rip off and when you consider that if you do have all dlc the game still feels incomplete? That’s ridiculous. As simmers we shouldn’t be sugar coating that fact or defending it. Yong Yea isn’t a simmer, he is objective as he is on the outside looking in and I think he makes some good points about the Star Wars reaction.
  • Simburian wrote: »

1. Sale Prices
    The sale prices are cheaper, but they're also not relevant to the argument being made here. The full, $700 price is what EA states the game is primarily worth. TS4, with all of its packs, is worth that full price in their eyes.

2. Other Media
    The fact that other games have ridiculous DLC models doesn't mean much, because we're talking about TS4, not Train Simulator. Incidentally, I've seen Train Simulator and other games like DOA get massive backlash as well. Train Simulator even gets exactly the same backlash, with people saying across its Steam reviews that it has a boring base game that requires DLC to fill in the gaps. It's bad when EA does it, it's bad when others do it.

The £650 Lego Falcon is also part of a limited collector series, whereas TS4 is not.

3. Fans
    Absolutely a fair point, if you enjoy something, you should be able to spend what you like on it. I'm not going to say that people shouldn't be able to spend a great deal of money on something like TS4 if they really want to, but it's objectively a game that lacks depth when compared to its predecessors, which were complete after 5 years. They should be getting more for the money they're putting in, sale or not, because of the standards established by the series and its past.

I did the Maths for UK prices back in October and have updated listings since, and here TS4 costs £680. By comparison, for £658, I can buy a brand new PlayStation 4 and 15 games from my library at full price. If we are going to go by sale prices, I can still get the PS4 and then even more games for less, because the PlayStation store has sale prices of up to 90% off. The point I'm trying to make is that no individual game should cost more than a brand new console with a stack of games, half of which are AAA titles.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • GothicSimmerGothicSimmer Posts: 66 Member
    He really hit the nail in this video and has gained new subscriber! I often feel like the game changers are a lot more baised because of EA and i wish they were more honest with their feelings about packs and stuff but I bet you half of them are disappointed but al in all this video is simtastic.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    I watched Star Wars, the first movies, in high school; and think they are as ridiculous now as then, so the pack doesn't speak to me particularly. I'm also not interested in having features from it intruding in my world, and have been on the fence about buying it (for the build items only of course); but I just decided that I won't.

Promoting Disney during BLM is disrespectful, considering that company's history. I don't expect an american company like EA, or any company of that size, to actually care; but still would like to point to the hypocricy of the so called BLM support they think they have done - combined with creating more profit for another company that are responsible for such vile representations as Disney have been; and still cannot clean up their act on.