Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What’s Up With People Not Actually PLAYING The Game Anymore?

Comments

• SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Some people are really out here spending hours/days/weeks/months/years designing homes within TS4 or creating Sims within TS4 and then do not actually play with these Sims in these homes. They make stuff but don’t actually play the game. It’s like a phenomenon. I’ve never heard of this happening in other games.

Did this used to happen in prior Sims games too or is this new for TS4?

And then some people spend a ton of time downloading CC to use for these Sims and homes and again do not actually play them.

I can’t understand it. I mean, it’s nice that folks can get enjoyment from the game period, but I wonder why they don’t bother to play the actual game? Is it because they don’t enjoy the gameplay? Do they have zero interest for some other reason?

I’m puzzled. If this is how you choose to use TS4, enlighten us.

I used to be like that, creating all the time, never really playing. TS4 has actually driven me to play and I am having a ton of fun with it.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    edited August 2020
    misty4m wrote: »
    Some people are really out here spending hours/days/weeks/months/years designing homes within TS4 or creating Sims within TS4 and then do not actually play with these Sims in these homes. They make stuff but don’t actually play the game. It’s like a phenomenon. I’ve never heard of this happening in other games.

And then some people spend a ton of time downloading CC to use for these Sims and homes and again do not actually play them.

I can’t understand it. I mean, it’s nice that folks can get enjoyment from the game period, but I wonder why they don’t bother to play the actual game? Is it because they don’t enjoy the gameplay? Do they have zero interest for some other reason?

Yeah this started a long time ago from the sims 1 game, I could remember finding out about some great creator and builders who love to just create for the game but don't really play it as much as we do.

I love to do both create and play my game.

Yeah , its not new to the sims 4.There have always been players who just arent into playing live mode. With sims 4, there are a few more, simply because a lot of depth is missing :)
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    I like playing in Live mode. But because of bugs or gameplay elements that are missing, I frequently find myself putting a pause on Live mode and hunting the web for mods to fix the issues or give me the features I want to carry out my stories the way I want. Lately, mod searching leads to CC shopping, which is something I’ve been doing so much over the last few weeks that I haven’t played in Live mode at all. And it’s not just the CC shopping that takes up my time, but also adding the appropriate tags to clothes so they’ll show up where I need them in CAS. I also take the time to go through all swatches because sometimes there’s content I don’t want on the clothes and build CC and I have to delete certain swatches. Just recently I started downloading houses that contain a ton of CC and going through all of the CC that was included was overwhelming. It has put me off of doing that in the future even though the houses are so amazing from these creators. It’s just too much work and it keeps me away from Live mode.

I will say that sometimes it takes me a minute to actually feel like playing in Live mode, though. I’m always creating stories for my sims in my head that I can’t really play out in game. The last time I started an argument between one of my couples, they kept flirting in between each angry interaction. Also, the argument reasons in the menu didn’t match why they were upset and I didn’t want to choose the generic reasons. So then it was back to the internet to find realistic interactions mods. It’s a crazy cycle I’m in right now. But I think I have what I need now to get back to the game...until I find another hole that needs plugging.
  • clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    I mostly play with the sims I create, but I like to spend a good few hours playing with them, in a sim zone. So if the kids haven’t gone to bed at their usual time or if they are having a restless night I tend to build or hang out in create a sim because I find it easier to disconnect and come back at will without loosing focus.... doesn’t that make sense?
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I noticed that too, a lot of people have said they get more entertainment out of cas or building instead of the gameplay. But there are some people who only create sims in cas or build simply just to upload for others. That's how it's been with me for a while lately.
    giphy.gif

• AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    I don't see why would detract from one's own experience, everyone plays the game the way they want.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member

I think it did happen a lot for Sims 3 too, so it's not completely new. I've had friends who used to only build in Sims 3, never play and similarly, friends who spent hours and hours in CAS just to pose and share screenshots. So it stands to reason it carries over to Sims 4 as well.

For some people, I think the various aspects of the game as a whole can serve as a filler-in, if that makes sense. Some, like myself, have detailed games and others just enjoy the build tools, or the CAS. The build and CAS tools in The Sims are something that you don't really have in other games, not to this extent, so that could be why this game attracts simmers who build, create sims or play, or a combination of the three <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,116 Member
    I don't see why would detract from one's own experience, everyone plays the game the way they want.

This, definitely this
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »

I think it did happen a lot for Sims 3 too, so it's not completely new. I've had friends who used to only build in Sims 3, never play and similarly, friends who spent hours and hours in CAS just to pose and share screenshots. So it stands to reason it carries over to Sims 4 as well.

For some people, I think the various aspects of the game as a whole can serve as a filler-in, if that makes sense. Some, like myself, have detailed games and others just enjoy the build tools, or the CAS. The build and CAS tools in The Sims are something that you don't really have in other games, not to this extent, so that could be why this game attracts simmers who build, create sims or play, or a combination of the three <3

You may be onto something
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member

They just really enjoy building and creating sims I guess, nothing wrong with that.
    The only downside are the unplayable lots due to those players not playtesting them.

Personally I build to play, I love building and creating my own sims, but I want to actually play with them, otherwise I don't see a point in creating any, but that is just me.

You could say the same the other way arround too though, about players who never build but download houses/sims and/or use premades, that would also only be half the fun to me....but to each their own.

Also some people mentioned utilizing it for reallife skills like architecture, clothes design and so on, that is a good point, I sometimes use the game to create my own references for drawing people or buildings, it can come in quite handy.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I still play but today’s patch is why many don’t. They hardly fixed anything and added stackable windows for builders. Always stuff for builders and never anything for the people who are actually playing.
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I still play but today’s patch is why many don’t. They hardly fixed anything and added stackable windows for builders. Always stuff for builders and never anything for the people who are actually playing.

I now believe gameplay is the 3rd priority for them behind build mode and CAS.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

I now believe gameplay is the 3rd priority for them behind build mode and CAS.

It would appear that is the case. It is really sad.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Honestly, the game runs like 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on my computer.
    So, I spend most of my time just creating things and uploading them to the gallery.
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • WickedSimWickedSim Posts: 5 New Member
    I feel really weird saying this, but I have actually never played the game. Not sure where I would even start. I have logged in almost 1100 hours, and pretty much all but 3 or 4 of them are building hours. I like the create a Sim, I love wandering the world, but it is all to find the perfect lot to build something.
  • mogshazmogshaz Posts: 24 Member
    The actual gameplay in live mode is tedious. I don't blame anyone for sticking to Build mode or CAS.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Gameplay is third priority for suuure.

I mean building IS a creative outlet so I do think a lot of people would still use it (maybe even exclusively) for it even if the gameplay wasn't so weak just 'cause a lot of us like to craft visually pleasing things. I wouldn't use build mode less, but I know I would use live mode more if... ya know.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Well, I usually divide it up so that maybe one week, I mostly build the world up to keep it interesting for when I do play in live mode and then, the following week I may just play in live mode.
    Altogether, I probably still spend more time styling and decorating than playing though because the game can take too long to accomplish a story or ideas you might have for a sim.

For example, it can take too long doing one task if you have to control every single movement for a sim and stop repetitive actions like sims constantly trying to go outside to talk to plants or stay on the computer playing video games.

It can also take too much time to play more than one household in one game session or visit more places (or destinations), etc.
    Lastly, it just becomes to buggy to play with some actions getting stuck in the que. I mean I highly doubt most people actually have an entire day to effectively play a game with these kinds of issues occurring.

That's probably why, many don't actually play Sims 4 anymore. I haven't given up yet, but if EA doesn't make improvements and come up with better game packs (I reserve judgement for SW, though still cautious about what comes with the pack), I probably will. I already go weeks, sometimes months without playing at times.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member

Yeah... the updates are always just for builders. There's never anything for the people who are actually playing.

:|
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    WickedSim wrote: »
    I feel really weird saying this, but I have actually never played the game. Not sure where I would even start. I have logged in almost 1100 hours, and pretty much all but 3 or 4 of them are building hours. I like the create a Sim, I love wandering the world, but it is all to find the perfect lot to build something.

Yeah, that's pretty much me too. I have tried on a few occasions to play, a few years ago I did and it kept crashing everytime my girl played darts in an EA bar, with no mods in my game at. After the 3rd time, I just gave.

Then I learned to make CC so the last few years have basically been nothing more than me logging into the game to test things, stage my room, take pics of for my Ad pics, and then exit.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I only find enjoyment creating houses at the moment. The sims themselves bore me. It's too repetitive and they all act the same and no I actually played the sims in the first three sims games but building is so much better in the sims 4 than previous sims games. I wish the sims felt original that I could play them too.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • simsplayer86simsplayer86 Posts: 33 Member
    I feel like during Sims 1 and 2 I used live mode the most. Then during Sims 3 I would spend a lot of time in CAS or furnishing houses (but not really building) and then get bored with gameplay. Now in Sims 4 I probably build more than anything, but I still use live mode quite a bit.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    They did? Yay. But yes hit the me too. I admit I do even if I don't experience that said bug just so it is fixed sooner.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2020
    I’d play if the patch today didn’t break my game. I’m scared to even open it 😞 I am a sad girl.
    Komura wrote: »
    I’d play if the patch today didn’t break my game. I’m scared to even open it 😞 I am a sad girl.

The patch has my game crashing!! I play for like 10 minutes and then it crashes. Worked perfectly fine just yesterday