Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Game Changers - Do they speak for us?

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    No
    I've never been a fan of the Game-Changers program. While they aren't getting paid, I'm pretty sure giving them all the packs for free and inviting them out to exclusive events is an enticing way to have them sell their product. Take LGR for example. There was a brief period where he got packs for free but then it stopped. He's always been critical of each pack when it comes to pricing and content. I find most Game-Changer reviews could say, "This pack is total garbage, BUT I would still recommend it because this one hairstyle is SOOOO STUNNING!". They will find a ray of sunshine no matter what.

They are getting paid, though. Every game changer has a monitized channel. As a game changer, they get games ahead of time, so they can post reviews before the game is released, and people will tune in. They also go to camps where they can later release prerelease footage. So they get a lot more views than most non-game changes do, which means $$. LGR is an exception, but that is because he is very well known. For many of them, this is their job, and for some of them, it's a very well paid job.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited August 2020
    @Felicity A lot of Game Changers don't have any monetization. Many aren't on YouTube or Twitch -- they're on Tumblr or post Gallery content. Some of us are more like floaters: we do stuff in the community in our own way. Some make mods or CC, and I know of some of those who have no monetization at all. It's a much more varied program than what people here seem to think it is. It's been more than YouTubers for a long time now.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    No
    Felicity wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of the Game-Changers program. While they aren't getting paid, I'm pretty sure giving them all the packs for free and inviting them out to exclusive events is an enticing way to have them sell their product. Take LGR for example. There was a brief period where he got packs for free but then it stopped. He's always been critical of each pack when it comes to pricing and content. I find most Game-Changer reviews could say, "This pack is total garbage, BUT I would still recommend it because this one hairstyle is SOOOO STUNNING!". They will find a ray of sunshine no matter what.

They are getting paid, though. Every game changer has a monitized channel. As a game changer, they get games ahead of time, so they can post reviews before the game is released, and people will tune in. They also go to camps where they can later release prerelease footage. So they get a lot more views than most non-game changes do, which means $$. LGR is an exception, but that is because he is very well known. For many of them, this is their job, and for some of them, it's a very well paid job.

I would not consider getting free packs as payment. In 6 years they've got about 750$ worth of packs. That's a little over 10$ a month. Not much. The trips are once a year, I think? Those are more expensive that a pack but you cannot pay bills with trips. Sure, they do earn money from You Tube by making videos using the free packs. They can easily make enough money on You Tube and paying 10$ a month for packs and not getting them for free.

Regarding the main question in the thread , I do not think Game Changers speak for me or for the community. It is not possible since the community is very big and diverse. My opinions are my own and I decide what to buy or not. I do watch some of them because I find them entertaining. I do think they offer their own opinions on the game, pointing out the good and the bad. I do not find useful watching a video that focuses only on the negative aspects, especially if it's a rant.
    edited August 2020
    No
    @Felicity A lot of Game Changers don't have any monetization. Many aren't on YouTube or Twitch -- they're on Tumblr or post Gallery content. Some of us are more like floaters: we do stuff in the community in our own way. Some make mods or CC, and I know of some of those who have no monetization at all. It's a much more varied program than what people here seem to think it is. It's been more than YouTubers for a long time now.

Fair enough. Since I'm barely on social media, I'm not exposed to that, but that's a "me" thing. So perhaps it's more fair to say that it's a choice if they get paid or not.

I would not consider getting free packs as payment. In 6 years they've got about 750$ worth of packs. That's a little over 10$ a month. Not much. The trips are once a year, I think? Those are more expensive that a pack but you cannot pay bills with trips. Sure, they do earn money from You Tube by making videos using the free packs. They can easily make enough money on You Tube and paying 10$ a month for packs and not getting them for free.

Regarding the main question in the thread , I do not think Game Changers speak for me or for the community. It is not possible since the community is very big and diverse. My opinions are my own and I decide what to buy or not. I do watch some of them because I find them entertaining. I do think they offer their own opinions on the game, pointing out the good and the bad. I do not find useful watching a video that focuses only on the negative aspects, especially if it's a rant.

They get the packs ahead of time and are able to release their videos ahead of time as well. That gives them a lot less competition and also higher demand.

Edit: I don't think it's a bad thing that people get paid for creating content. I had a kid who was a youtuber for a few years in his late teens, and he made more doing that than he could have at a job. Several years later he is getting paid for his old videos, though not a whole lot. It's a legitimate way to make a living.
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    No

Fair enough. Since I'm barely on social media, I'm not exposed to that, but that's a "me" thing. So perhaps it's more fair to say that it's a choice if they get paid or not.

They get the packs ahead of time and are able to release their videos ahead of time as well. That gives them a lot less competition and also higher demand.

Edit: I don't think it's a bad thing that people get paid for creating content. I had a kid who was a youtuber for a few years in his late teens, and he made more doing that than he could have at a job. Several years later he is getting paid for his old videos, though not a whole lot.

That's the point I've been trying to make - the ones on YT have an upper-hand when it comes to making money off of Sims videos. People who aren't gamechangers are disadvantaged when a new pack comes out because the gamechangers already have loads of videos pre-recorded and ready for release.
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    No

Edit: I don't think it's a bad thing that people get paid for creating content. I had a kid who was a youtuber for a few years in his late teens, and he made more doing that than he could have at a job. Several years later he is getting paid for his old videos, though not a whole lot. It's a legitimate way to make a living.

Yes, they have an advantage but there are other factors that come into play to earn money on You Tube. Their views will go up for a few days but they also have to keep the attention of their audience when there is no new pack and all the hype has gone down. The equipment they use can be very expensive also. Some of them have other sources of income. Maybe because being a GC isn't enough? Also, not all of them get early access.
    I truly do not believe GC earn more money just because of their status and some perks (at least not a considerable sum). I have noticed that a lot of them have expanded and cover other games or type of content.
    No

Yes, they have an advantage but there are other factors that come into play to earn money on You Tube. Their views will go up for a few days but they also have to keep the attention of their audience when there is no new pack and all the hype has gone down. The equipment they use can be very expensive also. Some of them have other sources of income. Maybe because being a GC isn't enough? Also, not all of them get early access.
    I truly do not believe GC earn more money just because of their status and some perks (at least not a considerable sum). I have noticed that a lot of them have expanded and cover other games or type of content.

I don't think I said that every game changer can support themselves by being a game changer -- only that they made $$ in addition to the free games/camps (and I'll toss in that I just learned that not all GCers monitize so not all do but the potential is there).
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    No
    They're marketing tools. So no, they don't.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited August 2020
    No
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    I will post this again ...

EA Game Changers is a community partnership program that fuses content creators and expert players directly into the game development process enabling early collaborative feedback for improvements. We also empower creators with early access gameplay capture to inspire innovative storytelling.

It comes from ...

https://www.ea.com/game-changers/about#:~:text=EA Game Changers is a,capture to inspire innovative storytelling.

I beg to differ on the expert players. I have watched so many playing and not know what they are doing. Most are expert builders but not players of the game. There lies the problem for me with the whole program.
    No

This is a perfect example, i had completely forgotten LGR got the games free for some time. I think they’re issue with him may have been that in some of his reviews he suggests not buying the pack, which most likely upset EA lol. sometimes i do go back and watch his reviews just for the comedic factor

I think what happened was he was given packs for free, they asked him to be part of the gamechanger program and he declined because he felt like he would not be able to give his true opinion on packs, then the free packs stopped LOL.
    No

Frankly, if they are getting the pack for free then in my opinion they are being compensated. Honestly, that is why it is hard to take anything serious. How can I take their recommendation for a pack when they got it for free? They haven't spent their hard earned money on the pack. If it is riddled with bugs what have they loss?? If it was a bad pack, why would I care because I got it for free? I love it when they say "I am not getting paid for this" I am always like sweetie you already did when they gave you the pack for free....sigh
    No

Well...lol....while it might not be a lot of money from the "game perspective" but the early access makes their video views go up and get compensated. People want to see as much as they can before release so yeah. I am wondering how much they would have been making without that access.
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    No
    keekee53 wrote: »

Frankly, if they are getting the pack for free then in my opinion they are being compensated. Honestly, that is why it is hard to take anything serious. How can I take their recommendation for a pack when they got it for free? They haven't spent their hard earned money on the pack. If it is riddled with bugs what have they loss?? If it was a bad pack, why would I care because I got it for free? I love it when they say "I am not getting paid for this" I am always like sweetie you already did when they gave you the pack for free....sigh

i mean i graduated from college like a couple years ago but i feel my economics class is at play here - and you’re absolutely right. being given a product that others pay $40 for *is* compensation. that’s why i never understand when lilsimsie throws her hands in the air and says “i’m not getting paid by EA” before her gamechanger videos...she’s right she’s not getting handed cash directly from EA, but she is getting handed a product from EA that others pay money for, for free.
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    No
    I still see them as nothing more than part of the marketing team. The difference is they are not compensated with actual cash. I skip all their "sponsored by EA" videos, as that phrase just screams untrustworthy opinion.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    No
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    mogshaz wrote: »
    No, they are part of EA's marketing for the game. They speak for EA.

^This!!

lol yea of course they speak for EA. EA created the “gurus” program as a marketing schtick. They basically made a platform for popular developers to be the face of a faceless organization. It’s literally a schtick, ppl.

I have always hated that they misuse the term "guru", like when I hear guru I think of some wiseperson meditating on a peak who has immeasurable oceans of knowledge to share or realistically someone who knows the product inside and out and can explain the situation without getting emotional or relying on pat-answers. These gurus have at more than one instance have shown that they don't fully understand the game engine, the coding, why they can add certain things and not others, rely on fans to address bugs and issue bugfixes (EA Answers), also the fact they only ever interact with verified game changers...I don't think guru is a good fit for these folks at EA/Maxis.

I also don't like the title guru in the way the developers use it. I don't consider a single one of them to be a guru for me. The fact that they present themselves with the title guru feels... as if they expect us ignorant simmers to look up to them. While in reality they are just doing their job.
    Just to be clear I don't have anything against the gurus, just against the title guru.
    I miss them being called Maxiods. It made more sense.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    No

I don't think I said that every game changer can support themselves by being a game changer -- only that they made $$ in addition to the free games/camps (and I'll toss in that I just learned that not all GCers monitize so not all do but the potential is there).
    Yeah most can't support themselves with it and and either need a supporting spouse or a real job to survive. It is more like hobby income. People make more money doing art for the game changers than what they make themselves.

YouTube has been heavily demonizing last few years.
    https://influencermarketinghub.com/how-much-do-youtubers-make/

This is what top streamers make:
    https://wallethacks.com/how-much-do-twitch-streamers-make/

https://www.businessofapps.com/affiliate/twitch/

Most streamers barely make $40 a month which doesn't even cost the electricity to run the games. Let us just say easier to earn money with stock dividends doing nothing than being a content creator. Modders and CC are could make more money with Patreon which honestly how hard coding and doing art is well deserved. I do make my own emotes since it is cheaper.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • WerescytheWerescythe Posts: 157 Member
    No
    Why couldn't it have been an Atlantis or Lovecraft themed pack? :(
    I'm probably one of the rare few here, but I love using the occult aspects in my Sims 4 games. xD
    No
    Werescythe wrote: »
    Why couldn't it have been an Atlantis or Lovecraft themed pack? :(
    I suggested Atlantis to SimGuruGraham so hopefully one day. I would love an underwater world Sims could live at.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    If they did, there'd never be any occult stuff the way LilSimsie whines about it. 🙄
    No
    If they did, there'd never be any occult stuff the way LilSimsie whines about it. 🙄
    Then she can whine for a toggle like the Sims 3 has. ;)
  • Stayc615Stayc615 Posts: 37 Member
    > @fififoofoo2123 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > i mean i graduated from college like a couple years ago but i feel my economics class is at play here - and you’re absolutely right. being given a product that others pay $40 for *is* compensation. that’s why i never understand when lilsimsie throws her hands in the air and says “i’m not getting paid by EA” before her gamechanger videos...she’s right she’s not getting handed cash directly from EA, but she is getting handed a product from EA that others pay money for, for free.

Thank you! I've said this before and everyone always says, "Oh no, they aren't getting paid. It's their review for it." Sure it's a free pack for them, it's $40 for me. Like you said, it's not cold hard cash they're being given but it's money they didn't have to spend.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The big problem with the Game Changer program is that it is a marketing scheme, at least from EA's perspective.

I mean if I was in a position of say Lilsimsie (my favorite Sims youtuber, Game Changer or not, btw) I would have jumped on it too, I am sure, but it is important to remember that the Game Changer program is above all an almost 0 cost marketing scheme from EA.
    They give a number of high profile YouTube free games and get free marketing out of it. The same amount of content paid for by an ad agency would be millions of dollars.

That said I do not expect anyone to "speak for me"; I make my mind up myself, thank you very much. I do not get "disappointed" because YouTube aren't as critical of a pack as I am.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    No
    No. They do criticize the game here and there but their criticism tends to be very safe, e.g. lilsimsie and that stupid cowplant, James Turner and a simple door, etc. It’s like they want to distance themselves from us, the so-called toxic and ungrateful community. I also have noticed that they will praise a pack to high heaven in videos sponsored by EA and a couple of weeks later in an unrelated video they will quietly admit that the pack has little replay value and feels empty. Game Changer‘s opinions are worthless to me. At the end of the day they‘re just walking billboards.
  • CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    The problem is there is no "us" in this context, not every one wants the same things for the Sims, some game changers support my wishes, some don't, but what I want is not the same as what others in the sims community wants, so its not really a question whether they speak for "us", no one can.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    No
    keekee53 wrote: »

Game changers are compensated by EA. The $40 write off for EA can turn out hundreds of dollars worth of ad revenue. Early access GC will always have an advantage in the program, and the handful of “guru faves” have an even bigger one.

I think it’s disgusting when these top tier game changers play dumb. They get exclusive access to content hundreds of thousands of players are interested in learning about leading up to release. They want to pretend that all those views aren’t gifted to a few handpicked accounts? GC program is full of nepotism, it’s been thoroughly documented, but no one wants to talk about that. They want to throw a pity party for streamers who make plenty off ad revue alone, but that doesn’t include the merch they all sell. Their opinions are bought by junky packs EA sends them for free, they don’t even need actual money to be influenced.