Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you "rotational" play

Comments

• cat_momcat_mom Posts: 36 Member
    Currently, my rotational play is based on career. That is, when I log in to my game I ask myself what career I'm in the mood to play. Example, I'm in the mood to play my veterinarian, so off I go to the clinic and develop this character and career. If I'm in the mood to play my self sufficient artisan sisters, off I go to develop their characters and skills. So far, i have a lawyer, a business tycoon, a veterinarian, and will be adding more to the rotations. Along with their career choices, my characters have their own personal stories, backgrounds, ambitions, etc. As well, I have some of these households interact with each through friendships and sometimes romance, marriage and parenting to get ready for the next generation.

I was finding my usual style of gameplay was becoming a bit stale. I just started this type of rotational play recently in order to explore some of the careers I've not yet done. I'm finding that I'm quite enjoying it.

P.S.
    I turn off aging so I can fully develop their stories. I decide when my Sims age up.
  • cat_momcat_mom Posts: 36 Member
    wickichick wrote: »
    I had to giggle when lem doodle said ..rotational play is her poison of choice ....the amount of sims included in your rotational play is just mind blowing to me...wow just wow is all i can say.

mingussss..this is a great idea. ** other things I do to keep me interested in the game is I keep a list of new things in the game I would like to explore (careers I haven't played through yet, aspirations I haven't explored, some types of occult sims I haven't explored much yet, more unconventional types of relationships
    - ones that are not the canon of a married pair, I haven't really had a criminal sim yet and I have some cool ideas of how that would go). So whenever I don't know what to do I check out that list

I love to play criminals. I always have the Villareal family up against the Landgraab family, each vying for dominance in the criminal world. Making some of them spellcasters adds to the fun and mayhem.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    edited August 2020
    I've always kept ageing on. I find half the fun is going back to a family to find the urns at the door. It saves going out looking for them in the gym or elsewhere and the babies & toddlers have grown up without me having to bother about them. I'm not keen on toddlers or babies!

There's always the originals I keep on My Library just in case. o:)
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    1. You can play freely, but I'd suggest you to have a pattern like 3 days, 4 days or a whole sim week. Otherwise some households could progress further than the others. After picking the "time lenght" pattern try to write down the ones you already played so that you don't forget and progress someone more than the others by accident. I like to play each family a whole week, as each household can experience the season and holidays fully.
    2. If you play premades/more than one world, DON'T MARRY MULTIPLE SIMS ACROSS MULTIPLE WORLDS. Thats unrealistic. Just don't. (I mean you can, but thats not realistic at all). You could like choose 1 sim to marry someone from other worlds, but you could randomize a dice or something to know who would do such thing. Some worlds don't have that many sims, BUT there's whole gallery full of maxis premades or other sims made by other people (if you don't play with premades). I'd suggest you to play with 8-10 households in each world. Place down gallery sims that match each pack i ntheir respective town and so on.
    3. Also, if you play multiple worlds, you can play each family in each world a whole week, or you can play all families in a world for a whole season cycle (all 4 seasons) and then move to the next world.
    4. I have a lot of little rules to play premade sims, so... I can share that later, but i don't want to elaborate much here. You can play however you want (just please don't marry all sims across worlds, thats weird).
  • iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    1. I usually do not have a set of rules. So no rules for me.
    2. Mixed really. I love to play all of my creations and create sims that I want to see roaming my worlds.
    3. I would say about a month. Sometimes it holds my interest.
    4. I use ALL worlds except Newcrest because that is the neighborhood I’d like to keep metro. With all the commercial lots and majority of activities for my sims.
    5. The game is not rotational friendly with some packs. I agree with that with what others have said. Another drawback is that if you have married couples you want to stay faithful then there’s a chance of them developing romantic interests.
    6. I have a favorite family to play but I’m all over the place. Normally I don’t do stories but I wish there was more depth in the game so it’d be easier and not left entirely to me to create them. I want my sims to have more their own choices too.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    iamoz96 wrote: »
    2. Mixed really. I love to play all of my creations and create sims that I want to see roaming my worlds.
    4. I use ALL worlds except Newcrest because that is the neighborhood I’d like to keep metro. With all the commercial lots and majority of activities for my sims.
    5. The game is not rotational friendly with some packs. I agree with that with what others have said. Another drawback is that if you have married couples you want to stay faithful then there’s a chance of them developing romantic interests.
    6. I have a favorite family to play but I’m all over the place. Normally I don’t do stories but I wish there was more depth in the game so it’d be easier and not left entirely to me to create them. I want my sims to have more their own choices too.

@iamoz96 I just pretend that "romantic interests" is jsut like "oh, she's/he's pretty to me, but thats all".
  • iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    Karon wrote: »
    iamoz96 wrote: »

@iamoz96 I just pretend that "romantic interests" is jsut like "oh, she's/he's pretty to me, but thats all".

Interesting! Never thought of that.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    edited August 2020
    cat_mom.... there is lots in The sims 4 that i have yet to try and i think you have an excellent point in switching things up when what you have been doing becomes tedious..especially since during this pandemic... some folks have had more time to give to their sims.

I am doing the same thing trying to choose careers that benefit the entire town..like the vet clinic ..i wanna do a community garden with that sim doing the gardening aspiration ...it is fun thinking about what businesses you can have that follows a goal you have in mind for your overall rotation.
    I play with aging off as well ...I play in WillowCreek and only my created sims live there and i shall age them as time seems right..the rest of the folks from other towns are of no concern to me..but i could age them or send them packing should i see a need.

I think I will add some vamps in the neighborhood eventually and create some drama between the vamps and the spell casters ...lol maybe we can even have a little bit of Romeo and Juliet when one teen of a spell caster falls for a teen of a vampire family. Such fun!

Thanks so much for sharing how you set up your rotational play...so much appreciated!
    Hi there Karon...I would agree that having a set rotation is good ..right now... in my neighborhood I can loosely follow a routine ...however I can see that in time that will need to be more concrete..i plan to use a notebook to keep track of things.

I plan to use NewCrest the same way as you do..for commercial venues to enrich the town of WillowCreek. To play this way requires a bit of time be spent getting set up and i like to build so that in itself is entertaining. Do you usually save commercial builds to your library? I didn't use to however I am now beginning to.

I don't think that my rotation play will branch out of WillowCreek but I don't abide by rules generally not even my own haha so we shall see.

I thought your tip regarding the relationships from like WillowCreek to say Oasis Springs is interesting ..and it makes sense because of the weather difference ..it is quite a stretch ..but from Willow Creek to (the town that came with Dogs and Cats, my mind is blank..ugh!) that one could be doable ..i live in the mid-west where i can cross three states just going to work...South Dakota..Nebraska..and Iowa. I doubt that is going to happen in my lets play but it is an interesting thing to consider. oh! lol also your sim could be military that opens up lots of doors for meeting a potential spouse from anywhere i suppose.

I think however ...topics like that ..the way you manage your towns...is what makes this interesting because of our diversity ..we are not all going to set things up the same way. Thanks so much for posting!
    iamoz96.....hello there, the married couple with surprise romantic interests..i had not considered that. I like Karon's take on it but then again there could be circumstances where that might stir up some drama ..it is never a bad idea to keep a single female and a single male roaming around just in case of a little "drama" could be some break ups and new romances happening ..ya never know.

It is true that not all packs happily merge with rotational play that well... however ..i like to create a household for "emerging teens" and kinda set it up like my own personal university.

I have all the sims 4 packs with the exception of Eco Living ..(think i shall get that now though) ...so i am aware that going to the real university is a richer experience(and the perks of a degree) ..i shall probably use my own in my rotational play because it will be easier to do..I will age teens up to young adult as they leave home to start their studies. (Does anyone else ever do that?)

I played the sims 3 for all of the five years it was out up until sims 4 first came on the market ..story progression was ok... however ..i prefer to have everything come from my own ideas ...it is funny how sims you play over a period of time become like "old friends" but they do and mostly because you have created this person from day one. We do not all play the same ...but I like having a hard copy account of these sims ...it will record precious family moments with dates of when they occurred and such.

Thanks so much for posting!
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited August 2020
    A drawback when I forget to turn ageing off, I come home to a dead elder. Rotated back to my main household and my spellcaster teacher is dead. I often make a "Save As" so I can go back to an earlier version of the game when I need to.
    Silent Kitty...i can see where having a "save as" aka plan B is wise ..i am currently playing with aging turned off ....right now i am thinking the only families i will be concerned with will be my own but "time" can change things ..always... right now though that is working for me and i will age up as it seems right to do so. When you play with a sim for a long time they become important to you...i am sure everyone can relate to that
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I just put 8 students through university, playing 2 households with 4 sims each. I played them 1 term at a time, not re-enrolling at the end of each term, just going back and enrolling each of the households on rotation.

The last term was tricky because they all were set to graduate on the same day, and I had a bug where they couldn’t attend the graduation ceremony and get their custom photo all at the same time. I also had trouble because half my students were in Foxbury, the others at UBrite and they both couldn’t go to the ceremony on the same day.
    So I redid the last term and had each of them enroll 1 day apart. Each of them had their own graduation day and they all got their photo and degree.
    Babajayne....that is really good....especially since this attending university seems the trickiest of all in rotational play...i have now set my seasons to 28 days and this was helpful for me...right now i have three unmarried sims and three couples so a total of 6 played households...everyone is busy getting settled in ... I was wondering if anyone does a back story for their chosen town?
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,094 Member
    1. When you begin your play what rules do you abide by (if any).

I turn auto-aging on for all unplayed houses. This makes the townies and sims I don’t care about or don’t want to interact with naturally age out of the game. It also gives the game something to cull so there aren’t too many sims in the game. Right now, the game generated a bunch of children townies to replace the ones that have died of old age.

2. How many characters do you play and are they usually single..married...married with kids or are they direct family members (example ..mom dad and/or siblings.

My current families are a legacy-style household, a sort of save founder, and the twin boys of the save founder. I started the game with a single sim and used that save founder to start a family. The twin boys were what I wanted to make from that family because they could only be created that way without cheats. They have a hidden trait. As I play, I introduce new households into their universe. The Legacy-style household is currently completing missions with the intended goal of resurrecting the Twins after I sorta killed them off. Playing the twins as ghosts will be its own fun which is part of why I did what I did.

3. how long does this type of play hold your interest approximately? ( for example..a week...a month ...longer?)

The game can function with 150 played sims, I’ll keep playing the save until I hit the maximum number of played sims. I’ll found a new save using a sim or household from the old save. I may transfer to the new save sims I spent a lot of time playing. The Twin Mermen from the save founder will probably become the standard save founder I’ll start a save with moving forward.

I see the Save Founder as being a lot like the Legacy Founder. They are the first household you play as and the one you use to build the world. They may have families completing challenges, but the save founder is always the one that starts the save and begins interacting with the world. Everything else usually builds off of where I leave things off with them.

4. Do you usually use NewCrest so you can create your own town or do you have a favorite neighborhood and why?

The auto aging makes certain lots become available after a household dies off. I spend most of my time building up worlds with my own lots. These lots support whatever I want to do with my sims. So far, I’ve almost never left Sulani.

On that note, I have been pushing the limits of what the game can support in my builds. I want to build a house where my founder sims almost never have to take human form. If I can make it so they can be in their merform 100% of the time while at home, that would be my goal for a build. I really would love underwater residential lots.

5. Would you say there is any draw backs to rotational play and if yes then what would those draw backs be?

I can’t really think of any except a bug I noticed from Eco-living. The active households are more resistant to getting NAP bugs. I noticed a tendency for NAP behaviors to get saved to my non-active households. This led to its own problems when I return to that household.

Other than that, I can’t say that I’ve had any problems. I find that rotational play helps with building creative stories.

6. other then using rotational play what type of simmer are you in game...for example ...do you prefer family related play....single sims over couples...do you prefer to begin as a teen in a family or something else.

I like using occult sims, and a lot of what I do to challenge myself involves looking for ways to put my own twists to challenges or push the boundaries of what can be done without mods and custom content with an occult race. Right now, I’m trying to build a fully functional home that lets merfolk stay in their merform without cheats, mods, or custom content. It’s harder than it sounds.
    Silent Kitty ...Rotational play is a bit different ..so far in the sims 4 i have not used the "save as" feature..but since rotational play presents a few different aspects ..i think it is smart to do it.....i am reaching the point where my first couple will decide to get married ...but now i am thinking it would be fun for them to both have parents ....I think their parents would be elderly so i totally get where you are coming from even through i have not invested the time in these characters that you have. I am feeling an attachment to this group of sims ...ten single sims ..five future couples ...this is definitely more fun then playing a single family...it opens lots of doors as to what can happen for each couple.
    Metior ice ...thanks for adding your way of rotational play....i am having a lot of fun with this! Recently ..i added eco living so now i have every pack except Star Wars....i turned naps off however ...there is some bug repairs that hopefully will get addressed to make naps fun as they were intended to ..but this pack has added a lot to the game even without using naps ..so i do really like it. I am doing something similar to what you are in many ways but not to the depth of what you have going on. Since i have not been playing the sims 4 for as long as most folks have ..i am using rotational play to experience more of what the packs have to offer...i had one goal in mind and that was to make each of the original ten sims offer something that all the sims can benefit from in some way. One sim is a spell caster working on potions and a garden of this and that to help...he is also interested in photography and is quite an athlete. He will probably open a magic shop making ingredients and potions available to other spell casters in this group. Another sim is a cook and she aims to be at level 10 cook..baking...gormet...and herbalist. She owns a bakery. Another sim is a painter and she owns a museum of the Arts where she sells her originals....so on and so on.
    I would agree with you that this type of play really inspires creativity and naturally brings drama into the lives of these sims ...mine are all very close friends ..it is a lot of fun to go to the night club and have them all dance ....I want to thank you for sharing your ways of playing rotational style ..good luck getting that home set up for your merfolk where they can live life as they were meant to as much of the time as possible.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    1. When you begin your play what rules do you abide by (if any)
    2. How many characters do you play and are they usually single..married...married with kids or are they direct family members (example ..mom dad and/or siblings
    3. how long does this type of play hold your interest approximately? ( for example..a week...a month ...longer?)
    4. Do you usually use NewCrest so you can create your own town or do you have a favorite neighborhood and why?
    5. Would you say there is any draw backs to rotational play and if yes then what would those draw backs be?
    6. other then using rotational play what type of simmer are you in game...for example ...do you prefer family related play....single sims over couples...do you prefer to begin as a teen in a family or something else.

1. I don't go with rules anymore. I used to but I found that I didn't enjoy the game much if I was inflicting rules on myself. I often go by their whims/aspirations/careers etc to define what they're doing with their life, as it were. Sometimes I have an idea I want to play out, most of the time I go with the flow of the game.
    2. At the moment, I think I have just over 50 sims I'm actively working with. Some are related to each other and others aren't, so I've got a kixture of single sims, couples and families.
    3. Well, I started this particular save in February and I'm still playing it. I've played 4 in-game years (with the seasons on 28 days). So it's helpd my interest longer than any other save ever has.
    4. I'm working in all the neighbourhoods. My favourites are Windenburg, Brindleton Bay and Britechester because I just love the feel from all three worlds.
    5. Probably relationship culling. It's not a major problem for me, because friendships fade over time anyway and I've noticed that the friendships I've worked hard at haven't faded, which is good. So probably the relationship culling is a slight drawback.
    6. Family-related play is my absolute favourite but I'm enjoying all aspects.

Aside from your questions, my current save game actually started with me creating 8 single young adults and taking them all to University. While there, one got into an autonomous relationship with an NPC roommate, two ended up getting married and three never completed University at all (I decided that two suspensions meant they're 'expelled'). Now all eight are living and working in various towns (some are in Willow Creek but most are in apartments in San Myshuno).

Then I sent a second group of eight (comprised of NPC roommates from the first playthrough) to University and now they've started settling down with jobs, one couple are married with children.

Then I created some of the families for those students. Parents, siblings etc. I'm working with a few premade families but not many (mostly the vampires, funnily enough).

The rest have been sim families I've created in the past, made over and moved in. <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    I don't think I could play without doing it rotationally any more. I'm having a blast with it.

I have so many different families, some of my current households are:
    • Jungle explorers, travelling to Selvadorada and finding as much treasure as they can
    • Dog lovers, who own 5 dogs (was 2 until they had puppies lol)
    • Lawyer and police officer couple
    • Spellcasting couple
    • Single mum artist with a creative daughter following in her footsteps
    • Off the grid farming couple, who also do woodwork and fabricating their own furniture
    • Unhappily married couple where the guy is having an affair
    • An orphanage with an evil keeper who hates children
    • Outdoors couple who love camping, fishing and cycling
    • Strangerville couple trying to solve the mystery
    • An astronaut whose ambition is to marry an alien
    • A couple of geeks who are into programming/robots and Star Wars
    • Young adult starting out in the acting world
    • A couple who have 6 kids, the dad being a chef and the mum an author of children's books
    And it goes on and on to utilise all the different jobs, traits and skills.... :)

I love the variety. Just flitting to whichever household I feel like playing for a few days.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @elanorbreton I love that! Do you let them age or do you play with aging off?
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    2. How many characters do you play and are they usually single..married...married with kids or are they direct family members (example ..mom dad and/or siblings

1. I don't go with rules anymore. I used to but I found that I didn't enjoy the game much if I was inflicting rules on myself. I often go by their whims/aspirations/careers etc to define what they're doing with their life, as it were. Sometimes I have an idea I want to play out, most of the time I go with the flow of the game.
    2. At the moment, I think I have just over 50 sims I'm actively working with. Some are related to each other and others aren't, so I've got a kixture of single sims, couples and families.
    3. Well, I started this particular save in February and I'm still playing it. I've played 4 in-game years (with the seasons on 28 days). So it's helpd my interest longer than any other save ever has.
    4. I'm working in all the neighbourhoods. My favourites are Windenburg, Brindleton Bay and Britechester because I just love the feel from all three worlds.
    5. Probably relationship culling. It's not a major problem for me, because friendships fade over time anyway and I've noticed that the friendships I've worked hard at haven't faded, which is good. So probably the relationship culling is a slight drawback.
    6. Family-related play is my absolute favourite but I'm enjoying all aspects.

Aside from your questions, my current save game actually started with me creating 8 single young adults and taking them all to University. While there, one got into an autonomous relationship with an NPC roommate, two ended up getting married and three never completed University at all (I decided that two suspensions meant they're 'expelled'). Now all eight are living and working in various towns (some are in Willow Creek but most are in apartments in San Myshuno).

Then I sent a second group of eight (comprised of NPC roommates from the first playthrough) to University and now they've started settling down with jobs, one couple are married with children.

Then I created some of the families for those students. Parents, siblings etc. I'm working with a few premade families but not many (mostly the vampires, funnily enough).

The rest have been sim families I've created in the past, made over and moved in. <3

I'm working on that sort of thing too but not so efficiently as you. @elanorbreton

Btw: Do you find that your Sims tend to replace the NPC strollers and bar visitors etc. I've got 249 Sims atm. in my game and don't see many that I haven't got in my game already. I evict some to the family's bin to get them employed in restaurants because of Dining Out inf. etc.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    What a nice, calm, informative thread, a joy to read. Here is my take.

I have only played TS4 a year, and have only one playsave; but lots of saves for building and experimenting. In my playsave I disable anything that can cause issues, like NPC voting in Eco-Living; weather and effects; aging. Seasons are set to 28 days, autonomy is full. I make sure to save important characters (like Morgyn from ROM, Father Winter from Seasons etc to Favorite Households. I don’t use cheats but motherlode. I will have to use cheats to create server sims though. I don’t build in my playsave, but import builds from other folders. I never use move objects on in my builds. I don’t use mods or cc, and will not, at least until the game is fully developed. If I decide to use them then I will be very careful what to pick. After installing a new pack or patch I don’t load my playsave without first testing in a new folder. I always use the option Save As and keep many backups.

I have no rules for my own gameplay, but for structure and the reason for playing rotational I create unique sim lives, based on the features in game I want to play, but want different sims to stage them with. I have deleted the default seasons and made my own.

The save being new I only have about 100 in Favorite Household tab so far, but not every sim in there is created/staged by me.

I usually create and want to play with single YA, but for Parenthood features I have a couple of families with child sims in different constellations and background. I have several residential households symbolising institutions as a way of using the game's functions to set up what lot assignments aren't there. So, a mental institution residential with a live-in doctor; a prison with a live-in guard/detective; an orphanage for future service sims, with a live-in principal and matron; a retirement home with a live-in care-taker etc. I plan to move in, temporary or permanent, some sims into these households for gameplay, and to use the orphanage to skill up/raise sims that will be bartenders, entertainers, models etc.

It is a very addictive game, and I can play for days on end. Like said in this thread though, I don’t start if I don’t have a lot of time for the moment. I have been setting this save up for a year, and it feels like I've just started.
    As for the gameplay, it doesn’t differ much from the way I played TS3; separating the careers, aspirations, interests, venues visited, sims socialized with, on different sims, I still do the same thing - playing what features the game offers, just divided on several households instead of one or a few. Since I don’t have any rules, I load whatever household, and fate, I wish to play in the moment.
    I spend much more time building, creating sims and planning the save, than I do actually playing, but that is part of my entertainment. Perhaps I will loose interest once it is all done? That is okay too.

I plan the whole world, that is, all the worlds that come with the DLC are part of my sim universe. I don’t own Vampires pack by choice, but among the rest I prefer playing in apartments in San Myshuno, Brindleton Bay and Windenburg are both very pretty, and Strangerville quite alluring. Each world get a theme for architecture, sims and events. Willow Creek is the place for environmentally aware scientists, gardeners, botanists and florists; it will have a green footprint, a communal garden, a huge flower production garden selling its flowers in a shop, a botanical garden for cultural visits, a vegetarian restaurant and an old crashed alien ship where the descendants of Mother is living, waiting for their destiny to start... and so forth, for each world.

NewCrest with its neutral state and lack of distinct personality is the world where I place all my odds and ends buildings and sims, that I don't really see fitting in well in the other worlds. Here I have placed a silly replica of the house from Larva, complete with characters; a neighborhood that looks like mine; and my simself.

There probably is, the game is not made with it in mind, and I doubt EA playtest long enough to find any bugs resulting from it; but I read up on any new pack and its bugs, and try to follow common game logic sense.

I prefer playing with YA or elder state, and single households, being stressed out by too many sims at once. But all narratives can be made fun, it all depends on my own imagination. The freedom to goof around I like very much in the sims series, not having to take anything seriously. I also micromanage, and in TS3 often played saves where my lone sim meddled and decided the fate of all the other sims in the world.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    @Duvelina I have ageing on for the household I'm playing at the time.
    @Simburian happily, I see a lot of my played sims out and about around the towns and in the community lots. Still get some randoms though.
    @Simburian happily, I see a lot of my played sims out and about around the towns and in the community lots. Still get some randoms though.

Yes, I have the theory that the more Sims you have in game the less Maxis NPCs you see as the game limits them in line with your machine's capability as it did in previous iterations. You have to have some unhoused though, to be waiters etc. as they give up the job if given a house!
    MissyHissy.... I love that this all started with a bunch of pals heading off to uni and now they have scattered after graduation ...it is so real life what with some friends and some not so much ....it is incredible how your rotational play has grown from the original eight...i bet all those stories are fascinating! Just recently i changed to 28 day seasons...I don't regret it either...it affords a tinge bit more realism. I can see where eventually there would be friendship culling ..esp as your rotational community grows ....this is my new favorite way to play the sims ..it is continuously exciting. Thanks for sharing your way of getting your rotational play started and how you kept it growing!