Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims YouTuber Tips

Hey can anyone give me tips on being a Sim youtuber? I've tried doing nice thumbnails and everything, but it doesn't seem to catch people's eye...

Comments

• pandamontokpandamontok Posts: 20 New Member
    Hai, I'm a youtuber too.
    My channel is : Panda Montok.
    https://bit.ly/32TQIO1

Well, this is what I know.
    Established YouTuber has already followers.
    When they post something, many of their subscribers get a notification.
    Then they watch his video.
    The view number and watch time spike in a short amount of time.
    This tells the algorithm to promote his stuff.
    Then his stuff goes to trending, and gets more views. And the algorithm goes frenzy.
    Suddenly a media pick up his stuff, and more people watch his video. The algorithm goes berserk and promotes it even more.

Compared to small YouTubers.

We post something. Youtube will just try to promote our content to a bunch of random people that it thinks likes our content.
    If the engagement is low, then Youtube will stop promoting it. You can see this in analytic. When our videos just die.
    When we have low engagement, it could be
    Our stuffs are not good, bad thumbnail, bad title, or bad content.
    Or Youtube just promoting it to the wrong crowd.
    There's no guarantee Youtube always knows to whom it should promote.

I have listened to many established YouTubers.
    The lessons are
    Don't count on youtube for promoting our videos.
    This advice comes from The King of Random youtube channel.
    His channel is about DIY. He created and created videos that have low views for a year (I think)
    But one day his channel blew up after one of his posted videos in Instructables.com website went viral.
    Since then his Youtube channel gets recognized and everything went good from there.
    So in his case, he has good content. But not many people know about it. So he has to promote himself.

The same case goes with a different channel.
    He said, for many years his videos get a very low view. But after one went viral, suddenly more people started watching his old videos and liked it.
    So the problem is not his content is bad. Youtube just doesn't promote it well.

How to promote ourselves?

Well, I myself still struggle with this.

I hope someone else can give some advice in the sims world.
    Hai, I'm a youtuber.
    I create Sims4 Machinima.

I said previously Youtube could promote our videos to the wrong crowd.
    Based on my data. It's true.

I would like to share my experience based on my analytic.

One of my video:
    From a Housewife to a Prostitute | SIMS 4 Love Story | Subtitle Bahasa
    https://youtu.be/oaUaENzWhhk

It's 6 months old and has the highest view compared to other videos of the same age.
    BUT it has a very low watch time. Which is only 18%

The story is about a girl who dreamt to be a good housewife. She married an ideal religious husband who she thought a perfect man. But in the end he cheated on her and use religion to justify his action. She struggled to survive, trying to find works and failed. Created a business but then went bankrupt due to price competition. The situation forced her to become a prostitute. Even though she felt broken, but she kept doing it, for the sake of his son's future.

My target audience is people who wants to watch SIMS4 story about love, mother's love, family. Something like that.

Now let's talk about the analytic. If I look at the keywords that drive the traffic in,
    there are many keywords that I don't think the attention doesn't match what my video provides.
    For example:
    1. sims 4 sex story, the sims 4 sex, sims 4 prostitute
    People who look for this term may want to see some arousing sex stories or looking for prostitution mod. Which my video isn't.
    2. sex in sims, prostitute in Mumbai, etc.
    My video doesn't provide any information about that.
    These may cause a low watch time. Wrong crowds.

All of this led to the next thing I want to share.
    Which is to put more thought on the NOUN WORDS (keywords) on the title and description.

I have the latest Youtube video :
    SIMS 4 Lathi Challenge (ft. Kadita or Nyi Roro Kidul)
    https://youtu.be/fW5nRkTPQfo

Lathi challenge is a TikTok popular makeup challenge video using a trending music video called "Lathi".
    I want to piggyback this trend.
    Thus I created a video with a little improvisation by bringing up a story of Kadita Heroine from Mobile Legend by using SIMS 4.
    She was a beautiful woman heiring a throne. But then got cursed and turned ugly.

My target audience is people who want to watch different kinds of Lathi Challenge videos.
    But if looked at my analytic. Half of my viewers came from the word "Nyi Roro Kidul".
    The attention of this search term is probably looking for information about her.
    My video isn't particularly about her, thus the average watch time is low. |

My mistake is probably at the description.
    I put emphasis on the first paragraph on who is Kadita or Nyi Roro Kidul.
    Instead of TikTok Lathi challenge.
    Thus Youtube algorithm thinks my video is providing information about her and served it to the wrong audience.

So, the conclusion is
    What keywords (noun words) we use on the title and description, may affect to whom Youtube algorithm will serve our videos. The wrong audience will make our watch time low and will impact our video negatively.

Since the velocity of view and watch time is very important in the first 24-48 hours. We want to attract the right crowd since the beginning.
    Hai, I'm a youtuber.
    I create Sims4 Machinima.

I want to add something more.
    Youtubers in my country have been complaining about the algorithm.
    Because of the way it works kills their creativity. And more-more less quality contents get pushes up. Contents that just sell sensation.
    Youtube goals is to make users stay as long as possible on their platform.
    So the machine will try to figure out what kind of contents that will achieve that.
    Let's say in the gaming industry the machine thinks that the game of Free Fire will do that.
    Thus it will favor gaming channels that produce Free Fire contents. And push down the other.
    If we're still a small channel. We will struggle to climb the latter of success if we depend solely on Youtube Algorithm and not following that trend.

In other words, Youtube forces us to become similar with one and another. If youtube says "Produce contents about soccers" then if we create a video about basketball, we might get a push back.

Veritasium an education channel talked about this.
    He shows graphs data, where his channel and similar channels having the same trend of going up and then suddenly down at the same period of time.
    He said when we make a video and suddenly the views go down than the usual, doesn't always mean that we make bad content.
    There's another variable where the AI just favors other types of content.

That's why the King of Randoms of channels said don't depend on Youtube to promote your channel.

And maybe it's the case why I see a SIMS4 machinima youtube channel that produces many of pregnancy-related stories.
  • olivesimsxolivesimsx Posts: 2 New Member
    @Gothoholic18 I have started a sims youtube as well and my first video seemed to do okay but now my videos are just getting less and less views... I've been trying to subscribe and comment on other youtubers videos but it's so hard. What is your channel name and I will subscribe, my channel is olivesims :)
  • Gothoholic18Gothoholic18 Posts: 71 Member
    olivesimsx wrote: »
    @Gothoholic18 I have started a sims youtube as well and my first video seemed to do okay but now my videos are just getting less and less views... I've been trying to subscribe and comment on other youtubers videos but it's so hard. What is your channel name and I will subscribe, my channel is olivesims :)

Mine is Gothoholic
  • ColtonZPColtonZP Posts: 21 Member
    I just started as well, it's all about consistency. Don't get discouraged in the beginning, everyone started from 0!
    Consistency is only one key.
    There are other keys.
    Unless we learn the others, 3 years 5 years will go by very fast.
    We need to move forward to figure things out and learn from our mistakes. But also learn from other people's experiences.
    One key is our product/content.
    Is there an enough people that want to consume what we make.
    Another is marketing.
    How to get known.
    + a bunch of other technical stuffs.

Everyone starts from 0... it's very true.
    But the other side of the truth is not everyone will see the success.
    Even the ones that have tasted success, some of them disappear.

I was a blogger spending 3 years and only to make $100/ year. So I know this very well.
    The mistakes were my product and I hated marketing. I was a full-time blogger. I really struggled.
    @Gothoholic18
    If I may give input for your content to improve it.
    I watched "Magic and Mermaids (Sims 4: Happy Home #9)"
    1. Things you can improve is to reduce the silent moment.
    It's the moment where you click here and there and don't say anything, such as when you put them to bed. Maybe you should cut them off.
    2. On that video, you should think of interesting scenes that might interest people.
    And then give interesting comments about it.
    Instead of just reporting what's going on, such as... "He's feeling sad," "He's talking to his sis..," "He's going to do an experiment,"
    For example...maybe you could...
    "O look at that... she's getting fat... do I feed her too much? I don't think I feed her... Or...wait oh no... was she woohoing without my consent! Who is the father! I'm very disappointed with you, young lady. Grrr. You should think twice before you did it!!!! Oh wait my bad... she's just fat... I'm going to put her in a gym tomorrow."
    Create drama or something funny.

And something interesting is very important to be put in the beginning.
    Or else people will just leave since the video starts.
  • SimsQueerSimsQueer Posts: 103 Member
    Having done creative work on the internet most of my teenage years, I've tried to crack this code myself. I used to write fanfictions about a very specific pairing with a very specific dynamic, and I got a community of people interested in my work without having to do anything. This was spoiling me, really. It took me a long, long while until I finally got to writing original character stories and now I've done some research on promoting my own content:

First things first, don't rely on the internet to do the promoting for you. With this mindset you won't be able to grow bigger.

Second, you can try creating connections. Get to know other youtubers who are interested in this kind of media: perhaps other sims youtubers, who already have an audience. If they like you, they'll give you a shoutout. Of course, this might be easier said than done, but creating connections is big if you want to grow.

Tell friends, family, blogs, other channels, etc about your channel. Advertise it. This doesn't necessarily have to include money. Get people to review your content and give their opinion on it.

Be consistent. Upload regularly or update on your blog, Twitter, Instagram etc.

Have better video quality/content. What it really comes down to is your content. Show personality. Be yourself and be real. Engage with people who comment. Don't be too official, but be polite and friendly, this makes you likeable. Use better graphics in your game and make it look pleasant.

Last but not least, my Finnish teacher told me something very important to me in high school: you can always sell people themselves. The most interesting content out there reminds us of ourselves and our loved ones, our own experiences and lives. You can do this by being relatable, yourself, taking suggestions from viewers (engaging with them), or doing instructional videos. Anything that makes a person feel a connection with you.

It's hard to do something that people are just interested in like that. I learned this the hard way when I made my own game and only one of my friends played it. I've gotten some recognition by taking part in projects by being their programmer. In my other youtube channel I made a video about making lineart in Krita and it's still the most viewed video I've ever made. That video alone gathered me about 100 subscribers although I haven't posted really anything after that. After my friend finishes revising my story, I'm going to start promoting it. Can't wait for that. :neutral:

Good luck! :)