Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Game Changers - Do they speak for us?

Comments

• FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    my issue with some of the game changers (such as lilsimsie) is that they proclaim they’re not getting paid for their videos they upload. first, they’re getting the pack for *free*, and secondly they are getting ad revenue from youtube when they post, because they have an advantage of being a game changer that they get to post videos about packs before any other youtube channel can! they get money (in one way or another) because of their game changer status, and maybe they should try to not be so uppity about “if you don’t like the pack, don’t buy it” when they get the packs for free!

How does one become a game changer? I'm curious on why the current EA game changers are selected, is it because their YouTube channel brings the most views for their let's plays?
  • asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I dont think it's black and white. I think all game changers are different, each with their own opinions, some are more blindly positive, some give a more balanced approach of things they like and things that could be improved. Might they be biased because they get the games for free and have a relationship with EA? Of course. But from the ones I've watched, they really do seem to try and give a balanced approach based on their own opinions.
    If they give constructive feedback, it's not often helpful to completely trash a pack. Even in the worst packs there are some things that some people might like. And at the same time, even in the most popular, amazing pack, there will be some things that people wont like. I guess a game changers role is to find the positive AND negative, or just present the content for others to decide. But I do believe they are allowed their own opinions, positive or negative, and shouldnt be hated on because of it.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No
    Gamechangers represent a variety of opinions being part of the community, but that is not to say that they speak for us. They merely speak like us. I, at least, make that distinction.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    No
    I speak for everyone. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    edited August 2020
    No
    also i have to say the fact lilsimie freaked out over a simguru using her name on a cowplant, this is a huge issue of nepotism in the community
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    No
    I'd say game changers have generally the best intentions. When I say No, they don't speak for us, it's because I haven't come across any that have my same play style, so they can't really speak to my issues. But I'd say for some play styles they do a very good job of speaking up about certain issues.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    No
    I think that the YouTubers Game Changers just show how each pack is played in the game.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Plus, people forget that game changers are there to give constructive feedback and review individual packs. If you're properly reviewing something you have to be more open minded and give things a chance. They can't really say "I don't like the concept so I won't review it or play it", that'd be a pretty crummy review. Imagine if you looked for a review of a phone and the review was "I wanted a smaller phone instead so this is terrible"

They review the pack for those interested in it, not the state of the game, that's a separate video and topic.
  • mogshazmogshaz Posts: 24 Member
    No
    No, they are part of EA's marketing for the game. They speak for EA.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    No
    Plumbella is pretty good, she tends to be more daring with her opinions than most of the others. She’s also funny 😂
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Yes
    Where is the option for "some" GC?
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Yes and no. Yes they do in a way for the community when it comes to somethings that look wrong or parts are missing out of the pack like James Turner pointing out in Island living how the island living island counters were missing and such but, No, there are somethings that us as paying customers find bugs and generally report it to EA's forums. So I'd say that it's pretty equal on both sides.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Yes
    I will post this again ...

EA Game Changers is a community partnership program that fuses content creators and expert players directly into the game development process enabling early collaborative feedback for improvements. We also empower creators with early access gameplay capture to inspire innovative storytelling.

It comes from ...

https://www.ea.com/game-changers/about#:~:text=EA Game Changers is a,capture to inspire innovative storytelling.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    No
    No, they don't speak for us. They give their own opinion. They have more influence on maxis than any of us and if you are lucky the opinion they voice matches yours.

Luckily they seem to be willing to voice criticism as well as promoting the game.

However because the gamechangers are handpicked by EA and have something to gain (free early access to a game they use to earn money) I don't feel represented by them.
  • puffyamiumi22puffyamiumi22 Posts: 77 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yes
    Meant to actually click no on the poll. They're allowed to have their opinion just as much as everyone else in the Sims community. Like others have pointed out, they get free early access to the games to earn their money.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    No, they don't speak for us. They give their own opinion. They have more influence on maxis than any of us and if you are lucky the opinion they voice matches yours.

Luckily they seem to be willing to voice criticism as well as promoting the game.

However because the gamechangers are handpicked by EA and have something to gain (free early access to a game they use to earn money) I don't feel represented by them.

As stated in this quote, gamechangers are picked by EA to make the game seem more appealing than what it might be to the typical simmer. They don't represent me and I don't feel as if it's fair for a small group of picked people to have that big of an impact when it comes to the future of this franchise.

• AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    No
    mogshaz wrote: »

^This!!
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    No

^This!!

lol yea of course they speak for EA. EA created the “gurus” program as a marketing schtick. They basically made a platform for popular developers to be the face of a faceless organization. It’s literally a schtick, ppl.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited August 2020
    No

^This!!

lol yea of course they speak for EA. EA created the “gurus” program as a marketing schtick. They basically made a platform for popular developers to be the face of a faceless organization. It’s literally a schtick, ppl.

I have always hated that they misuse the term "guru", like when I hear guru I think of some wiseperson meditating on a peak who has immeasurable oceans of knowledge to share or realistically someone who knows the product inside and out and can explain the situation without getting emotional or relying on pat-answers. These gurus have at more than one instance have shown that they don't fully understand the game engine, the coding, why they can add certain things and not others, rely on fans to address bugs and issue bugfixes (EA Answers), also the fact they only ever interact with verified game changers...I don't think guru is a good fit for these folks at EA/Maxis.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    No

^This!!

I have always hated that they misuse the term "guru", like when I hear guru I think of some wiseperson meditating on a peak who has immeasurable oceans of knowledge to share or realistically someone who knows the product inside and out and can explain the situation without getting emotional or relying on pat-answers. These gurus have at more than one instance have shown that they don't fully understand the game engine, the coding, why they can add certain things and not others, rely on fans to address bugs and issue bugfixes (EA Answers), also the fact they only ever interact with verified game changers...I don't think guru is a good fit for these folks at EA/Maxis.

I also don't like the title guru in the way the developers use it. I don't consider a single one of them to be a guru for me. The fact that they present themselves with the title guru feels... as if they expect us ignorant simmers to look up to them. While in reality they are just doing their job.
    Just to be clear I don't have anything against the gurus, just against the title guru.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    No
    who's "us"?
    the only one who speaks for me is me.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• nahnahtodeinahnahtodei Posts: 58 Member
    Yes
    I'm sure they forward the general reactions of their audiences. But I'm also sure they are very careful about it. How directly would you criticize your own boss? There's a clear power dynamic here and I don't blame them for formulating negative opinions verrrry carefully. :)
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    No
    I've never been a fan of the Game-Changers program. While they aren't getting paid, I'm pretty sure giving them all the packs for free and inviting them out to exclusive events is an enticing way to have them sell their product. Take LGR for example. There was a brief period where he got packs for free but then it stopped. He's always been critical of each pack when it comes to pricing and content. I find most Game-Changer reviews could say, "This pack is total garbage, BUT I would still recommend it because this one hairstyle is SOOOO STUNNING!". They will find a ray of sunshine no matter what.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    No
    I've never been a fan of the Game-Changers program. While they aren't getting paid, I'm pretty sure giving them all the packs for free and inviting them out to exclusive events is an enticing way to have them sell their product. Take LGR for example. There was a brief period where he got packs for free but then it stopped. He's always been critical of each pack when it comes to pricing and content. I find most Game-Changer reviews could say, "This pack is total garbage, BUT I would still recommend it because this one hairstyle is SOOOO STUNNING!". They will find a ray of sunshine no matter what.

Because game changers are sell outs
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    No

This is a perfect example, i had completely forgotten LGR got the games free for some time. I think they’re issue with him may have been that in some of his reviews he suggests not buying the pack, which most likely upset EA lol. sometimes i do go back and watch his reviews just for the comedic factor
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • Gemmie12Gemmie12 Posts: 262 Member
    edited August 2020
    While not a game changer, I DO enjoy a lot of YongYea's content and this video pretty much is relatable and honest about how we feel about this.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gPPm9zlrJAw
    Post edited by Gemmie12 on
    CJcvgXD.png
    Lein Modded Legacy

OriginID/PSN: Gemmie12