March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Veteran SimGuru’s working together on a new project?

I read that SimGuru Grant stepped away from Sims in May 2018/ 2019 to work on “other, exciting Maxis things” and is working with a team of veteran Sim Gurus so I hope this is Sims 5. I hope we get input from Will Wright, Rachel Franklin, Ryan Vaughan and all the other former key management about the direction of the Sims 5 so we get all the best elements from each game.

Can anyone shed any light on where or what they’re working on, who might be involved?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I think Ryan Vaughn left Maxis. I don't think he moved over to moblie or any other project by Maxis. Not sure if he still works for EA at all in any other genre or sub company.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    I read that SimGuru Grant stepped away from Sims in May 2018/ 2019 to work on “other, exciting Maxis things” and is working with a team of veteran Sim Gurus so I hope this is Sims 5. I hope we get input from Will Wright, Rachel Franklin, Ryan Vaughan and all the other former key management about the direction of the Sims 5 so we get all the best elements from each game.

Can anyone shed any light on where or what they’re working on, who might be involved?

Ryan Vaughan is working for another gaming studio. He's no longer with EA.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think Ryan Vaughn left Maxis. I don't think he moved over to moblie or any other project by Maxis. Not sure if he still works for EA at all in any other genre or sub company.

According to his LinkedIN he works at Apple now.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Grant is not working on a game at all, just operational stuff for Maxis.

qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

In gaming or in their phone division?
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »

In gaming or in their phone division?

I have no idea.

Senior Producer at Apple so it seems.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,178 Member
    edited August 2020
    Will Wright, Lucy Bradshaw, Ben Bell and Rachel Franklin... they no longer work for EA.

The veterans are working on The Sims 4.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I thought we weren't supposed to discuss people and staff on the forum, only the game itself.
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    Sims5! Yay! Where the toilets are still....well....toilets.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

I miss that guy...”awesome”. LOL plus I will never forget when he showed us the picture of the sims in the boat in sims 3 like 6 months before release now that was some fun speculating.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Oh so they pretty much all got better jobs
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Oh so they pretty much all got better jobs
    Yep :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    It’s a lovely idea but those who were involved in the Golden Age of Simming have moved on to other things. Sadly this means their considerable experience has also gone. On the other hand it never hurts a franchise to have new developers because more of the same gameplay, however modernised, is not likely to keep existing players playing. What is needed is a direction for the franchise to go which suits all playing styles and a well made, content rich TS5 base game to keep existing players happy and attract new ones.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited August 2020
    It’s a lovely idea but those who were involved in the Golden Age of Simming have moved on to other things. Sadly this means their considerable experience has also gone. On the other hand it never hurts a franchise to have new developers because more of the same gameplay, however modernised, is not likely to keep existing players playing. What is needed is a direction for the franchise to go which suits all playing styles and a well made, content rich TS5 base game to keep existing players happy and attract new ones.

Well I think we will definitely be getting different gameplay in the future if this interview is anything to go by.
    “I think that Sims provides an incredible canvas for us to tap into all kinds of relevant trends, whether it be music, fashion, design and architecture, or in TV and media,” Miele said. “And we are going to continue to do more of that. That is the direction we’re headed.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/02/04/how-sims-navigated-20-years-change-become-one-most-successful-franchises-ever/

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @Chicklet453681 thank you for this. We don’t get these in depth interviews in the UK.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member

Well I think we will definitely be getting different gameplay in the future if this interview is anything to go by.
    “I think that Sims provides an incredible canvas for us to tap into all kinds of relevant trends, whether it be music, fashion, design and architecture, or in TV and media,” Miele said. “And we are going to continue to do more of that. That is the direction we’re headed.”
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/02/04/how-sims-navigated-20-years-change-become-one-most-successful-franchises-ever/

This sounds bad. Not that I am opposed to trendy gameplay in general, but I want to keep my sandbox game. I am not going to play this game anymore if TS5 is completely different.
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    edited September 2020

the fundamental difference between this version and the original: the interplay between whose game it really is. With the Sims, it was largely a game made with an eye toward giving as much liberty to the player to decide what happens. In the Sims4, a greater share of the liberty has been reserved for the will and creativity of the developer(s) with the leftovers being served to the players.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020

Bascially saying they are no longer building a life simulator but a trend simulator. Oh, great, can't wait to see which new trend that is trending on twitter that we can get in the game. :'(

What have we seen so far? IL, trending to save the oceans. EL, trending to stop global warming and or climate change. Trending TV shows and other games, such as was evident in SV. Trending, Disney's new park, as is evident in SWJTB.
    Trending, a designers' high society, instagram trendy shop, such as in that fashion pack. Trending...the need for humans to dress their dogs in clothes, even if they hate it. Trending, a few years ago burito babies, now just leave 'em in the crib.
    Trending, all sorts of movements and causes to attach to TS4. I'm sure other packs I have forgotten has nothing to do with life simulators but just what ever instagram and twitter or facebook think are note worthy will somehow wind up in this game. Nothing wrong with protraying modern day culture, but the moment they became a trend simulator they lost total focus of why so many have stuck with them so many years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Grant is not working on a game at all, just operational stuff for Maxis.

That's a blessing.
    Will Wright will definitely NOT have anything to do with The Sims 5. He has no affiliation with EA. He's been gone since 2009.
    Does anyone know if SimGuruGraham is also working on "new projects".
    He was the one who designed the AI for the Sims 4 and honestly I don't want his doing the one for the Sims 5 too or we"ll be getting more sims who drink water all the time.
    He was the one who designed the AI for the Sims 4 and honestly I don't want his doing the one for the Sims 5 too or we"ll be getting more sims who drink water all the time.
    He is still on the Sims 4.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member

SimGuruGraham is a producer, not a designer or gameplay engineer. Where do you get the idea that he "designed" the AI for the Sims 4?
    qidpmcvgek8y.png