Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW Cannot Download

I recently began playing my Sims 3 again, but I get a blank download window pop up when I try to download the 1.69 version (I reinstalled my games via Origin, so I got 1.69 before I realized that wasn't necessarily the best approach).

Is CAW still available as a download? Not sure if I'm dealing with a computer setting issue (I get the blank pop up window on both the old PC and the brand new Surface) or if it's a site problem or if it's not actually available any more.

I might still have an old version of CAW buried someplace on my old PC, but I don't know what I'm looking for or where to look.

Hope somebody can help me with this.

Comments

• suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited August 2020
    @livingforwards It *is* still available for download. I just happened to download the 1.69 version myself a few days ago. I recall getting the same blank pop up. I then either used a different browser to download it (which is what I was planning to do), or I closed the first browser and reopened it, and then the download worked when I tried it again. Sorry, since it was easily resolved, I can't remember for sure which I did, but I'm thinking it may have been the second try in the first browser.

Adding on: Oh, now that I think about it, when I'm on the old Sims 3 site, on some pages I show up as logged in and on others not. I think I wasn't showing as logged in the first time, which is probably what that pop up is about, and so I logged in for the second try. Also, now that I have downloaded CAW, the download buttons on the page are grayed out, so unless you're seeing that on your old PC, you probably don't have a version of CAW on it. If you want to double check, it makes a file in Program Files (x86) \Electronic Arts and also in documents where you would find your Sims 3 files.
    Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,992 Member
    edited August 2020
    See if you can get Internet Explorer somewhere, or try downloading if from somewhere else. EA really messed up, since they pretty much designed that link to only work with Internet Explorer for some reason and no one has that anymore since the last Windows update. Sorry there is not much else I can say to help you.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Damienf519 I didn't use Internet Explorer (and never touch it unless it's to delete cache to get something Sims 3 related working). By the way, it's also still showing up in my Windows Accessories.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • livingforwardslivingforwards Posts: 144 Member
    Thank you all SO MUCH!!! I have managed to download it onto my Surface Pro, although I’m not sure it has the firepower to run it (it pretty much limped into the corner weeping this evening when I tried to run just the Bridgeport EP).

My husband keeps buying me “powerful laptops“ but they’re not gaming laptops so they can’t run more than the base game.

Anyway, thankyouthankyouthankyou for helping me! Maybe I can get CAW onto my antique PC too and create myself a small, lightweight world that won’t cripple the Surface.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,992 Member
    @livingforwards I’m glad you were able to get the download to work at least. Maybe one of these days when either you or your husband has the money, you can get a better desktop PC, and than you’ll be able to play more than just tiny base game only worlds
  • livingforwardslivingforwards Posts: 144 Member
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    @livingforwards I’m glad you were able to get the download to work at least. Maybe one of these days when either you or your husband has the money, you can get a better desktop PC, and than you’ll be able to play more than just tiny base game only worlds

Aww thanks. Sims is the only game I love. I’ve missed being able to micromanage my lazy, inept Sims into success stories.

The laptop issue is a bit weirder than just money. I have spinal cord injuries and the only physical position I can play in is head bent down (looking at horizontal screen) and preferably sitting where my legs are out in front of me, so sitting on the floor or sofa or bed. We keep experimenting with environmental improvements. The Surface is great for running other desktop software.

We’ve just installed a special arm that holds my desktop screen horizontally. If I can figure out seating then that’s a win and I can just replace the 2009 PC.

Meanwhile... Becky Baker in Sunset Valley!!