Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Well, I was on board with this pack at first...but the more I look at the backlash and been watching videos. I can see why they are angry....
    I might not buy this afterall....

Oh what a surprising turn of events for you 🤣

What?? Am I not allowed to change my mind?

Edit : I got an insightful, I guess not...

I’m with you too. I was on board but after seeing the truth & hearing the other side I am definitely not going for this pack.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    The last pack they came out with was so broken that some people still can't play.

The gameplay shown in the trailer is nothing like what real, actual gameplay looks like - no cell phone obsessions, no clay addictions, no rebels with bags on their heads.

There's no telling what dysfunctional ridiculousness is about to get added on top of all that, and there's always something. Lately they've been running amok with all that.

Something for everyone is a good thing, and I think this would be a really great pack if it were made by someone who was better at design and implementation as we have historically seen from this franchise. A break from the norm, a new twist, a daring adventure, etc. Variety being the spice of life and all. More possibilities should never be a bad thing.

Except that the design and implementation we've been getting has been pretty horrific lately. On top of an incredibly broken foundation, and a base game that has yet to (meaningfully) show up.

To add something like this on top of everything else is just insanity. Have they completely lost all their crackers? The logical disconnect is so huge that all you can do is laugh after a while.

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think the issue is the game developers are out of touch.They make packs base on trends, or what they want in the game.

This is so true, the devs are all thirty something men who hardcore game with first person shooters. They wouldn’t play the sims on their own time. They have NO idea what we’d like to play.

And they don’t care. They’re earning a paycheck. They aren’t passionate about the game.

I can’t WAIT for Paralives— a game that is being developed with PASSION, not a paycheck.

I have been around since I was 10 & I saw The Sims at the swap meet for my ps1. I felt so in love with it & even though I didn’t understand it at first, I started to noticed really fun & humorous elements that we no longer have. I know every brand eventually dies off & I think this time is now for the sims. I hope once the competition begins that they step it up & finally listen to US. The community that plays this game & provide that paycheck for them & their families.
  • EvilinPinkEvilinPink Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2020
    This pack is a waste of time, money, and effort. Yeah it’s a hard pass and will be purchased when it’s on sale for 50% off. No thank you!
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

They do know. I think they leaked it on purpose to dilute the anger and prepare people for this. People would still be mad but we were expecting Star Wars last night. And even though they managed to surpass my already rock bottom expectations I am no longer surprised.

They know people will be mad, they know people will complain but the bottom line is this will sell. The community buys everything. A former CM said EA KNOW they WILL get your money, be it at launch, down the line or on a sale or In a bundle. She tweeted that around about Moschino stuff.

That’s a pretty arrogant attitude to have but unfortunately it’s true for so many. I have been guilty of this. In the sims 1-3 days I asked for (as gifts as I was a kid) or I bought every single piece of dlc without question, without thought. I did it because I adore those games and those games delivered. With the sims 4 I watch reviews, I read reviews and I wait for more information. I have been guilty of buying some packs when I said I wouldn’t like Island Living but I have regretted it. I don’t have all the packs for sims 4. I refuse to buy this one.
    I was talking to a friend who said she is a collector and she said she will buy EVERYTHING the team put out. She doesn’t like Star Wars, she hates it, but she will buy this pack because she needs a complete collection.
    (She doesn’t even really like the sims 4 but that’s another issue)

I believe that school of thought is how many in the sims community think.

I mean during the sims 1-3 run I may have bought a Star Wars pack. Maybe. I did buy KP Sweet treats but I actually would argue that’s a better pack than this.😂

Even if it wasn’t Star Wars but space themed I wouldn’t buy this pack. I don’t care for SW or that kind of theme and the sims 4 doesn’t have that magic with me where I will buy everything blindly because the sims 4 lacks the quality and game play, long term game play and bang for your buck the older games have.

I think EA are trying to recoup some of the loss and damage from their previous failed SW games they made that didn’t go so well by passing SW into the Sims, a community that will buy anything.

That's sadly true. I know a lot of people are saying they aren't buying it but I'll believe it when I see it. The team could release anything and people would buy it, even if they hate it. Lots of people complained about MFP and it's one of the top 5 rated stuff packs. Some players are in this never ending cycle of getting angry and saying their fed up, caving and buying anyway, then getting angry when it of course doesn't turn out well. I just can't do it. The only reason I even own the base game is because it was free and it feels really good knowing my money isn't going to this but I still have a lot of love for The Sims. For as much as I adore the franchise and I'd love to give them my money for a good product, they haven't shown me anything new worth spending my money on.

I want it to be better, I want them to do better and I know they can do better but right now I'm past disappointed and am almost completely indifferent to The Sims 4. Had this been released 2014/2015 I probably would've been angry, even if the game had launched with toddlers and pools but now it's just 🤷‍♀️ Nothing they do anymore is surprises me in a good way. There's maybe a 10% chance of me getting surprised in a good way and I feel like I'm being overly generous with that percentage. And I know some people say not to blame the gurus but at what point do they take any responsibility for the past 6 years?

I really don't think it took a lot of arm twisting or any kind of force (no pun intended) to get them on board to do this. Some of them are Star Wars fans anyway. The fact that through EA they could use Star Wars was probably a dream come true and it wouldn't surprise me if something like this has probably been in the works to be approved since the first piece of Star Wars content they put in the game. This game is their vision after all and it looks to me like they've put a bit more detail and energy into this than they have in most of the previous packs, like there was more passion for it. Whether that's because of Disney's money or because they are fans themselves, I don't know. Maybe it's both, but I still don't think it's going to be the deep storytelling pack they're promoting it to be.

It'd be funny and sad if this pack ends up being one of the better ones but doesn't sell as well because players actually stick to their word and don't buy it.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited August 2020
    It'd be funny and sad if this pack ends up being one of the better ones but doesn't sell as well because players actually stick to their word and don't buy it.

*enters nuclear shelter, and prepares to watch this pack bomb*
  • HappyrosesimsHappyrosesims Posts: 44 Member
    WHYYYY just WHYYYY :'( everything in 2020 is just...D:
  • HappyrosesimsHappyrosesims Posts: 44 Member
    What should we do with this pack, build a house to yoda..?
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    @SimTrippy I just want to clarify that I don't mean that people who like the game as it is are shallow. I meant it like how you'd enjoy playing games casually and for fun, like candy crush or bit trip runner. I don't mean that people who want more realistic gameplay are in any way superior to other players with other interests or vice versa. I just think it's a matter of either taking it as it is and accepting that or wanting it to improve in certain ways.

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Bluelle wrote: »
    @SimTrippy I just want to clarify that I don't mean that people who like the game as it is are shallow. I meant it like how you'd enjoy playing games casually and for fun, like candy crush or bit trip runner. I don't mean that people who want more realistic gameplay are in any way superior to other players with other interests or vice versa. I just think it's a matter of either taking it as it is and accepting that or wanting it to improve in certain ways.

I understand, I also agree with you on some of the major problems TS4 has. I guess sometimes I'd just like to stick to criticizing things about a specific pack, not always the entirety that is TS4, because idk, what's the point right. EA clearly won't let the gurus waste time on fixing or adding certain aspects and features, and my mind doesn't like running around in circles. I personally don't think it's anywhere near as mindless as candycrush though, because truth be told, I despise games like that with a vengeance, but I don't despise TS4. But yeah, it definitely lacks depth in certain areas that matter, like memories, personalities, and long-term consequences. I don't disagree at all, actually, but it can entertain me for quite a while in a way candy crush never would xD
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    The only thing I hate more than the star wars pack is the fact that it will sell well.

So

They'll keep doing it. This is life now.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    My biggest complaint is actually the lack of new animations. I looked past it for the last few packs but literally we are getting almost 0 new animations such as sitting on floor for picnic or watch tv or new group animations or pillow fighting I mean I can think of a million things.

I'm actually wondering why that is though. Does anyone think it has something to do with the pandemic? I heard the outsource animations to china maybe something happened with the companies where they are not able to make many new ones?

I just feel like those little detailed animations is a big part of my gameplay and the sims in general.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2020
    So if Star Wars is part of Sims canon, and Rey and Kylo are real, what about those old Star Wars costumes we got? Are we dressing up as historical figures? Would the Darth Maul costume be the equivalent of dressing up like Adolf 🐸🐸🐸🐸? Would cosplaying as a warlord fly at Geek Con? Is this offensive to aliens, so likely lost loved ones to the Sith?
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Just remember guys. MONEY is the only language EA understands. Speak with your wallets.

I DO NOT WANT to hear a year from now how this GP sold super well, just like My First Pet Stuff. Y'all need to put your money where your mouth is and SPEAK with your wallets. Okay?

Nah, this pack is going to sell well. Consider the movies for a second. Because a whole lot of people thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy, every single Star Wars movie after that did very to extremely well. This pack is obviously a cash grab and that's precisely why they did this pack, because they know it's going to sell well because it's Star Wars. And people love Star Wars. The sequel trilogy made billions and it was going to regardless of the quality.

We in this forum are amongst a small portion of the community and I assume the majority of the Sims community itself are teenagers as opposed to adults. Most of the community uses Twitter, I assume. And I know if I were a teen, playing a game that allowed my custom created character to wield a laser sword would sound pretty awesome.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Nah, this pack is going to sell well. Consider the movies for a second. Because a whole lot of people thoroughly enjoyed the original trilogy, every single Star Wars movie after that did very to extremely well. This pack is obviously a cash grab and that's precisely why they did this pack, because they know it's going to sell well because it's Star Wars. And people love Star Wars. The sequel trilogy made billions and it was going to regardless of the quality.

We in this forum are amongst a small portion of the community and I assume the majority of the Sims community itself are teenagers as opposed to adults. Most of the community uses Twitter, I assume. And I know if I were a teen, playing a game that allowed my custom created character to wield a laser sword would sound pretty awesome.

Are teens of today really into Star Wars? I feel like it's a lot of older people who like it. I didn't even think the new movies were that popular?...
    Also, the consensus was negative everywhere, not just on the forums. Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook- on all of those platforms it was quite negative.
    I still wouldn't be surprised if this sells well, but probably no more than other packs.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Honestly, one of my biggest issues with it is the sw influence. I actually think the pack has some ideas that i might enjoy like missions and story about an adventure, which might be an unpopular opinion since i know people dont wanna rpg elements. However, all of this is ruined for me by the fact that it is star wars which i dislike. This is a big bummer for me becaue i might have been interested otherwise.
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    edited August 2020
    bixters wrote: »

Are teens of today really into Star Wars? I feel like it's a lot of older people who like it. I didn't even think the new movies were that popular?...
    Also, the consensus was negative everywhere, not just on the forums. Reddit, Youtube, Twitter, Facebook- on all of those platforms it was quite negative.
    I still wouldn't be surprised if this sells well, but probably no more than other packs.

No clue, honestly, I'm more basing off the trend of Maxis aiming their content at what they think teens would enjoy. And to note, I'm not stating this pack is going to sell better than other packs, but I've no reason to think it isn't going to. Apparently, the reaction to My First Pet Stuff was quite negative as well, but the pack still made plenty of sales, didn't it? If it does fail, however, I'll gladly take that L. Means EA's gotta shape up... again.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    BariSaxy wrote: »

What really gets me is that the same people who say "Don't like it, don't buy it" will turn around when it's released and say "If you didn't buy it, you can't judge it". They really should just be honest about their true feelings: Complainers shouldn't express their opinions.

I have seen that ridiculous "Don't like it, don't buy it" phrase thrown around in this community since at least the days of The Sims 3. It's always been code for "Shut up".

This is a really absurd time to use it, too. Star Wars is such a narrow theme that the complainers aren't likely to find something in it to make them turn around and purchase it. So... We aren't buying it. Simple. We still get to express our opinions. Get over it.

That's been my experience. I can understand wanting people to be respectful of the ones who like this pack idea, I think that's more than fair. I know what I like some people might hate and vice versa and we should respect each other's opinions but 'don't like it, don't buy it' doesn't mean those who don't like it should shut up. It's pretty useless statement to make to me because the negative opinion still stands, even if someone isn't buying it.

To 'can't judge if you didn't buy,' there are far too many reviewers, let's plays, livestreams and and friends or relatives who don't mind letting someone pull up a chair and try their new pack out to really go around thinking that just because you didn't buy it you can't have played it nor have an opinion on it.

Then there's the other reasoning I'm seeing which is 'not everything they make is for everyone' which I think everyone knows. Their opinions still stand. You can state your opinion and know it's not made with your interests and style in mind. This Star Wars pack wasn't made for anyone but Disney and Star Wars fans likely but they make it sound like the thing that's really going to help this pack is one of the areas some players, including myself, feel they do poorly in which is storytelling. If they improved elements of storytelling for this (which I don't think they did but *if* they did), I'd love to know why it can't be done in general.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    Just defending myself , in case I have used the "Don't like it, don't buy it" , I may have in past, not sure.

But to me it is not a code to "shut up", to me it is what it is, There are certain packs, from I do not want the gameplay ever be part of my game, and indeed I have not bought those and never will, as "I don't like those packs".
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    > @pammiechick said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > This is so true, the devs are all thirty something men who hardcore game with first person shooters. They wouldn’t play the sims on their own time. They have NO idea what we’d like to play.
    >
    > And they don’t care. They’re earning a paycheck. They aren’t passionate about the game.
    >
    > I can’t WAIT for Paralives— a game that is being developed with PASSION, not a paycheck.

I may have this wrong, but I don't blame the game's devs for this, because I think they were forced to integrate it into their schedule. I blame EA corporate. The whole Star Wars surprise smacks of Disney throwing a bunch of money at EA, and EA being desperate to do anything it can to keep the Star Wars license, after the way they've botched a couple of giant Star Wars projects.
    Gordy wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone's complaining. Don't you know, simmers everywhere are excited for this pack?

Now they're just taking the 🌺🌺🌺🌺 lmao.

Surely they can't be serious.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't know why everyone's complaining. Don't you know, simmers everywhere are excited for this pack?

Lol where is "everywhere?" Is there a place that exists where people are excited about this pack? I'm dying of laughter :D:D

The trailer currently has 72K dislikes out of 32K likes on Youtube. That should be telling enough.
    bixters wrote: »

Salute to @TheSims team. Simmers everywhere are excited for this pack.

Lol who is "everyone?" I'm dying of laughter :D:D

The trailer currently has 72K dislikes out of 32K likes on Youtube. That should be telling enough.

Ooo! I'mma' go dislike it! *clicks on YouTube link* OwO