Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited August 2020
    EdithV wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    netney52 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who finds it interesting since the trailer dropped the gurus haven’t made any comments about what is coming in the pack? Usually when trailers drop they answer questions about the pack I haven’t seen this yet with this pack I find it quite interesting how quiet they are being.

Yeah agreed, even GC are surprisingly quiet about it, James Turner aside

I don’t know, Deligracy said she was sick and tired of the sims community tearing down every pack with negativity. DON’T BUY IT IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT.

She has left twitter following the backlash and deleted the tweet.

It can't be fun to be a Game Changer right now.

Oh dear, was the backlash that bad?

I was mostly thinking that it is probably difficult for an EA game changer to be critical about a pack that was most likely requested by EA and not Maxis.

• EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    edited August 2020
    You know what I noticed about the trailer? It may sound random, but all the Sims that are shown are so slim and slender. There's no body variation (no curves and/or no muscular shapes) or anything. It just stood out to me and reminded me of why I love body presets CC so much. This also isn't the case in the Star Wars films or animated series, so it's just... odd.
  • jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    I had to log in just to say this is the final nail in the coffin for me. I was on an extended break, but I was toying with coming back after a break. This abomination (that almost nobody asked for) is the final straw. I will not be spending anymore money on Sims 4 and will think very carefully about getting sims 5 (if it happens). They’ve been trying to kill off the original Sims 1 players for most of the Sims 4, I held out hope they were getting better, but nope, this about seals it. I’d rather level through BFA (WoW) and that’s saying something. I probably won’t see any replies directly to me because I won’t be checking the forums regularly. Sadly, I think EA aren’t going to listen to what the simmers are telling them (all the things people have been asking for apparently translate into Star Wars!) and the only way they’ll listen is if it hits them in the wallet, I think it’s probably too late in any case now. I know I’m just one person but I refuse to keep playing a franchise I have loved when it’s been more or less destroyed by EA (take note Activision, people will eventually get fed up of your antics).
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    beville wrote: »
    @SimTrippy it may not make sense to you! but, I see it a differently. ;)

Yeah I get that but people need to retain a sense of realism about what exactly GCs are. And for the most part they are entirely expendable. They are only as valuable as the size of their platforms.

Regardless what people think of Deligracy though she doesn't have to "think about what her place is". She is just as entitled as anyone to an opinion. And more than that: these GCs are people. It troubles me how quickly and easily mob mentality settles in and people forget that - regardless of whom they're targeting.
  • belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited August 2020
    My first reaction was, and I saw someone else mention this also, why didn't they just expand on the already existing aliens and the Sixam world? I have always loved playing both scientist and aliens, so that would have been an amazing expansion of the gameplay for me. But Star Wars? I'm at a loss for words. SW to me is mostly about battles and fighting. When did we ever do that in the Sims 4 except for brief glimpses during the acting career and for the evil aspiration?

Tbh, most of the things in the trailer are just the same old actions, but wearing SW outfits. I'm sure the starship behaves just like the space rocket. Most of the "aliens" are probably costumes. The story element will be similar to Strangervill with limited replayability. Oh, and let me guess...maybe 5 buildable plots?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't have much to say about this pack. I have not watched the trailer though I still get the emails. Sometimes I do watch the trailers to see if any thing at all can spark my interest to bring me back to TS4. And for the last three years that has been a no.
    Game Changers weild a lot of power. They are 'hired' by EA to speak for EA to do their best to convince us (influence) to buy a product. They are hired in a sense with perks, free packs, status, featured, promoted, and show cased so they can be the face of EA/Maxis. When they don't follow those little guide lines of being positive, they are sometimes dropped, such as SimsVIP was dropped when they disgreed about something or other with a CM. Or at least that is what others say, I have no idea.

They are free to gush all they want, after all that is the job EA/Maxis has told them to do in order to continue to be invited to events, get their swag and perks and freebies and featured by EA.

Some decided not to bow to that, like LGR, and that's ok, too. But we should all remember what game changers are supposed to be doing and that is influencing you to buy a pack. No matter if you don't like it, it's their chore to convince you, that yes, you do.

Maxis is never worried about the core of this fan base, they said so, It was either Drake and or Kate who said we buy anyway. Do we? I don't.

But what is more telling than any thing is when game changers start to complain about complainers. lol

And make statements like If you don't like it, don't buy it, and they are tired of the negative reactions. Hello, what's wrong, job too hard to convince someone like me to buy anyway? Sorry, about that, but I am an individual who can think for myself. I don't need an influencer for me to rightly decide what is a good pack and or what is a poorly implemented pack and waste of entertainment money and or what is just reused ideas and assets.

But they are right, if I don't like it, I won't buy it anyway....not me, I'm too hard nosed to buy anyway. And proud of it.

That isn't what gets my goat to say if you don't like something don't buy it, because I agree, it's more annoying to see people buy stuff then complain knowing it wasn't all that in the first place.

However, it's another thing to say, a game changer is tired of the negativity, well, then do your 'job' and tell Maxis to get it together and stop being what used to be called a 'yes man' and tell the CM, no this stuff isn't going to be liked by the core, or the current fan base, when you haven't solved the elephant in the room which is poorly done packs and bugs and a poorly done core.

Maxis is ok with some not liking every pack, and they don't or shouldn't expect every one does, but what they refuse to see is many more each day are very tired of the mistakes, the glitches, the bugs, the direction, and most of all the poorly done core. And for some reason, can't even think what that would be unless it's green stuff, they believe linear play is a good idea in SV and possibly in the new star wars pack. odd Must have been because so many bought it anyway. I'm not going to be that little dog (what was his name) that came when a bell was rung, then died because of that earthquake. A Star Wars pack to beef up Disney and EA's new game about Star Wars isn't my idea of The Sims or what it should be. Cross over packs such as that and or zombies in TS3 eating plants/and get a pea shooter so EA could beef up Plants vs Zombies' sales was a bad taste in my mouth then and is in my mouth again with this pack.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    People say that those who are disappointed just need to wait for the next pack, we’ve been waiting for improvements for years. We don’t have so many things we’ve asked for, we just keeping getting random 🐸🐸🐸🐸 that some might like, but the fact so many people have had negative reactions is surely telling. People aren’t just whining for no reason. I’m tired of waiting. The last pack I enjoyed was ROM
  • walkiesockiewalkiesockie Posts: 3 New Member
    Of all the things they could have made, they do Star Wars? They could have teased sims 5 at least, but why Star Wars? This will be the first pack I don’t buy. Congratulations for all the Wars fans I guess...
  • joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    This one is a hard pass for me. There is absolutely nothing about this pack to redeem it and I will never buy it. Not even maybe. Never. Periodt. I’ve only seen the original three Star Wars, have no interest in expanding my knowledge further of the franchise and have never been interested in a Star Wars game. I can already imagine the walk-by atrocities that will spawn from this pack. It’s already annoying enough to see (among other things) Judith Ward and my played sims walking through Foundry Cove in Willow Creek in their formal attire for no apparent reason (like, seriously, why are you here and why are you dressed like that?). I already have way too many mods to fix the issues that the developers apparently have no interest in fixing and to make up for the lack of features that should exist in the game. Every pack is half done and we have to rely on the amazingly talented modding community to fill in the holes, fix the bugs, and give us the option to turn off unwanted/overdone and annoying features that are ridiculous and nonsensical. Without mods, I would’ve given up on this game within a month after purchasing it.

When I saw the speculation that the new pack was a SW pack and saw the side by side comparison pictures with the leaked pack icon, I was pretty convinced it would be Star Wars simply because EA enjoys giving us the exact opposite of what we’ve vocally asked for. They have no excuse for this behavior.

Community: Free the babies! More activities for our sims!
    EA: Strangerville it is!

Community: Give us vacation worlds! Farms! Better skintones and personalities! Fix the bugs!
    EA: Did you say Eco Lifestyle and more bugs?

Community: Please give us drivable cars! We’re begging you!
    EA: I don’t know about that, but Star Wars sounds awesome, right? 😉
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I think a big problem with this pack and other packs, is that worlds collide. The Sims with all their pack has become so fractured. I understand that EA do not want players who don't own a pack should have access to content from it, hence why they can't fix Sixam from GTW. But for the game to properly make sence you should have only base game and one EP or GP installed.
    What will happen if I (bought this pack) and sent my most famous Sim to Batuu, would the Stormtrupers fall over themself, faint and beg for her autograph? The scientist from GTW do not have the robotmaker in his career, neither the makermachine from Eco living. The lawyer from university has no connections to the police in GTW and the list goes and for each pack there become more discrepancies. And what I find also annoying with this new pack besides the use of such iconic figures, that I have a hard time seing around my Sims, is the reuse of animations, that is just bad business to resell the same thing that we got in other packs and hope no one will notice
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited August 2020
    I get the dislike, or the outright hate for this pack.
    I thought it was a bad move when I first heard about it.

It is very surprising to me that they would even attempt it considering the backlash from the Star Wars fan base over Disney's approach to continuing the Star Wars saga and the failure of Galaxy's Edge. If feels more like EA doing Disney a favor than making content to improve TS4.

This pack however, will be useful to me, so don't be surprised if you see me showing pictures on launch day.
    I have been doing some inventive play for my cosplaying teen sims that started with City Living and Geekcon. It got more material with content from Get Famous-- a huge amount of material actually. And now The Journey to Batuu will bring a fantastic vacation destination for my cosplaying/sci-fi loving sims.

I believe I will attempt the same thing with Strangerville.
    I will look at it like an immersive entertainment experience for lovers of The X-files and Stranger things TV shows.
    So the repetition of the experience will make more sense as a once, or twice in a lifetime experience for a specific sim who would be into such things.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I don’t know, Deligracy said she was sick and tired of the sims community tearing down every pack with negativity. DON’T BUY IT IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT.

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’d like to say something about a comment I read in the positive topic (and I don’t want to spoil that one): the comment all the negativism is toxic and entitled. Is it? Is a negative opinion automatically toxic? Is anger and disappointment toxic? And is it entitled? Why? An opinion is an opinion. And if one opinion seems to dominate that can be overwhelming and nasty when you don’t share it. That doesn’t necessarily make it toxic or entitled though.

The problem of course isn’t this pack. I was disappointed when Sims 3’s last pack turned out to be a SF one, but it didn’t anger me. It just wasn’t my cup of tea (fortunately it turned out to be a nice cuppa anyways). The problem is and will always be Sims 4 in general.

These two comments sum up what I've wanted to address because I've seen a few comments on different sites about how people are tired of complaints and the fans of The Sims are so selfish and entitled and that's a little laughable to me.

It's been 6 years. 6 years of most of the same complaints. 6 years of some of the same people calling complainers entitled and selfish telling those same complainers to 'just give it a chance' and 'how do you know you don't like it if you don't (buy it and) try it'. 6 years and money these players can't get back and now they're entitled and selfish for complaining about how for 6 years all they've wanted is these same key things, most of them fixes, yet still haven't gotten them even though they've waited and invested and gave the team chance after chance after chance? I think players have every right to feel fed up and voice that to EA because they don't seem to be listening and that's what part of the problem is.

If they want to see more positivity in the community and are tired of an angry fan- not even fan base, but consumers. These are paying customers who at the very least already own the base game so they're invested. If they're tired of that then encourage EA to listen to and do better by players.

I was wondering what people meant when they said this was the last voted for thing and saw this last night in case anyone else was wondering too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aeIkdQYs5ys

Now I know based on the date the pack was probably done or near done by then but they claim to know their players well. How did they not know just how much this wasn't wanted?
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Utter failure.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @Bluelle but on some level you need to know that the core of this game is never going to change? And yes there are a lot of things wrong with it, but these packs are made for the people that like the core. If they haven't fixed it 6 years in, they never will. No pack they can release, not even a Generations pack, will change what TS4 is at this point. So I'm guessing people "defend" it because, fundamentally, that gaping hole you see, simply isn't there for them. They enjoy it.

Me? I think it definitely needs stitches. I just don't think those will come. And what is there I kind of enjoy. The criticism I have with this pack though, and there are a few, are about this pack. Not the base game. Because I've long realized that part won't ever change.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who finds it interesting since the trailer dropped the gurus haven’t made any comments about what is coming in the pack? Usually when trailers drop they answer questions about the pack I haven’t seen this yet with this pack I find it quite interesting how quiet they are being.

Yeah..I wanna see their response.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited August 2020

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’d like to say something about a comment I read in the positive topic (and I don’t want to spoil that one): the comment all the negativism is toxic and entitled. Is it? Is a negative opinion automatically toxic? Is anger and disappointment toxic? And is it entitled? Why? An opinion is an opinion. And if one opinion seems to dominate that can be overwhelming and nasty when you don’t share it. That doesn’t necessarily make it toxic or entitled though.

The problem of course isn’t this pack. I was disappointed when Sims 3’s last pack turned out to be a SF one, but it didn’t anger me. It just wasn’t my cup of tea (fortunately it turned out to be a nice cuppa anyways). The problem is and will always be Sims 4 in general.

These two comments sum up what I've wanted to address because I've seen a few comments on different sites about how people are tired of complaints and the fans of The Sims are so selfish and entitled and that's a little laughable to me.

It's been 6 years. 6 years of most of the same complaints. 6 years of some of the same people calling complainers entitled and selfish telling those same complainers to 'just give it a chance' and 'how do you know you don't like it if you don't (buy it and) try it'. 6 years and money these players can't get back and now they're entitled and selfish for complaining about how for 6 years all they've wanted is these same key things, most of them fixes, yet still haven't gotten them even though they've waited and invested and gave the team chance after chance after chance? I think players have every right to feel fed up and voice that to EA because they don't seem to be listening and that's what part of the problem is.

If they want to see more positivity in the community and are tired of an angry fan- not even fan base, but consumers. These are paying customers who at the very least already own the base game so they're invested. If they're tired of that then encourage EA to listen to and do better by players.

I was wondering what people meant when they said this was the last voted for thing and saw this last night in case anyone else was wondering too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aeIkdQYs5ys

Now I know based on the date the pack was probably done or near done by then but they claim to know their players well. How did they not know just how much this wasn't wanted?

They do know. I think they leaked it on purpose to dilute the anger and prepare people for this. People would still be mad but we were expecting Star Wars last night. And even though they managed to surpass my already rock bottom expectations I am no longer surprised.

They know people will be mad, they know people will complain but the bottom line is this will sell. The community buys everything. A former CM said EA KNOW they WILL get your money, be it at launch, down the line or on a sale or In a bundle. She tweeted that around about Moschino stuff.

That’s a pretty arrogant attitude to have but unfortunately it’s true for so many. I have been guilty of this. In the sims 1-3 days I asked for (as gifts as I was a kid) or I bought every single piece of dlc without question, without thought. I did it because I adore those games and those games delivered. With the sims 4 I watch reviews, I read reviews and I wait for more information. I have been guilty of buying some packs when I said I wouldn’t like Island Living but I have regretted it. I don’t have all the packs for sims 4. I refuse to buy this one.
    I was talking to a friend who said she is a collector and she said she will buy EVERYTHING the team put out. She doesn’t like Star Wars, she hates it, but she will buy this pack because she needs a complete collection.
    (She doesn’t even really like the sims 4 but that’s another issue)

I believe that school of thought is how many in the sims community think.

I mean during the sims 1-3 run I may have bought a Star Wars pack. Maybe. I did buy KP Sweet treats but I actually would argue that’s a better pack than this.😂

Even if it wasn’t Star Wars but space themed I wouldn’t buy this pack. I don’t care for SW or that kind of theme and the sims 4 doesn’t have that magic with me where I will buy everything blindly because the sims 4 lacks the quality and game play, long term game play and bang for your buck the older games have.

I think EA are trying to recoup some of the loss and damage from their previous failed SW games they made that didn’t go so well by passing SW into the Sims, a community that will buy anything.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Well, I was on board with this pack at first...but the more I look at the backlash and been watching videos. I can see why they are angry....
    I might not buy this afterall....
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    The Sims 4 is on its own the controversial one and this pack is just the cherry on top of the cake.
    This franchise is not the same it used to be. May not be the final shot but it will make an important impact for sure. Maybe we need something like this to make EA listen for once!
    Now It's totally on the hands of the community! The majority needs to boycott the pack and let it flop!
    But whatever happens this is already the most divisive pack of the history of The Sims!
  • BluelleBluelle Posts: 327 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    @Bluelle but on some level you need to know that the core of this game is never going to change? And yes there are a lot of things wrong with it, but these packs are made for the people that like the core. If they haven't fixed it 6 years in, they never will. No pack they can release, not even a Generations pack, will change what TS4 is at this point. So I'm guessing people "defend" it because, fundamentally, that gaping hole you see, simply isn't there for them. They enjoy it.

Me? I think it definitely needs stitches. I just don't think those will come. And what is there I kind of enjoy. The criticism I have with this pack though, and there are a few, are about this pack. Not the base game. Because I've long realized that part won't ever change.

For me personally, a Generations type pack would improve the core but not fix it. Basic family play and basic generational play. Teenagers could be changed into actual teenagers. Shorter, sneak out, throw secret parties. Elders could have canes, babies could be carried around, children could have more after school experiences etc etc. These things wouldn't fix the problem with the core but they would improve them, wouldn't they? It would make the sims feel more real and alive.

No things in life are black and white but I do feel like there's sort of two sides to TS4. Those who want more realistic and deep gameplay reminiscent of the one in TS2, and the ones who are fine with a shallow, quick time fun experience.

They could definitely change emotions. A family death should weigh more than "nicely decorated", that is doable. "Fine" could be the default emotion and not "Happy", this is also doable.

Obviously you can't change the actual core-core of a game that's already established. It would basically be a completely new game if they tried it - better just get started on TS5 in that case, but there are improvements to be made. It's not impossible. EA is a multi million dollar company and TS4 definitely has enough funding for this.
  • gbaisdengbaisden Posts: 95 Member
    I was disappointed with the knitting and decided not to buy it just like I have no interest in Strangerville. I don’t feel like I’m missing anything without those either. I won’t be buying Star Wars. There’s so so many other things they could do with the game. I’m not a Star Wars fan, never was. Just not my thing I guess. They refuse to listen to what we want.