Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Game Changers - Do they speak for us?

FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
I have noticed that majority of the EA game changers have been overly positive about the new game pack. Noticed Deligracy has deactivated her twitter account for lecturing people who have given a negative response to the new game pack.

It is very unusual to have a game changer who hasn't been negative about the lack of features especially for a game pack that wasn't highly requested compared to other features. Isn't that the definition of "Game-Changer" pointing out what the game needs? Are they speaking for what the community has wanted?

EA Game Changers - Do they speak for us? 217 votes

Yes
7%
alexspoom13puffyamiumi22CamkatSageRainWillowMissyHissyvcosleyMissElphebaRamblineRosefallenangel66AnnLee87Simtown15JemmaTheSimmerPreCiiouszirizecoogee78nahnahtodeiI_Love_Bunnies 17 votes
No
92%
GreyWindBluegayleCK213catmom1987GoldmoldarKita5399Sara1010Pfififoofoo2123IcewolfjeepjeepcatOolonglongCabelle1863sims2freak737Colorist40overonAngelllite7SleepycatDSLTheSpotted_Csimm621keekee53 200 votes

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Some people are gonna like it, some aren't. People are always going to have varying opinions on things, nobody speaks for everyone. Even the large portion in the sims community who are mad don't speak for all players.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I don't know if they speak for us. I know they are a tool for EA to communicate about the game. And because i know it, i don't go for their opinion... but i don't watch youtubers anyway...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2020
    No
    I don't want to judge them too harshly, I think that they do provide feedback from the community but I don't think that it does have any large effect.

The alternative is no communication at all though so I think that it is still good that we have them. But when they say things like "don't like it don't buy it" or "I don't care, I love X" I do wonder how much feedback that they actually are providing.

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes
    I said yes, but it's not really a yes or no. They do communicate with EA. They do provide them directly with feedback. If you really want EA to hear you, a game changer is the best way to get through to them. There's still the usual forums and bug reports, but for just feedback in general, I think if the game changers share the views of the masses, they will more likely be heard. It is part of why they are there.

They're not all positive either, I've seen a few on Twitter now voice concerns and displeasure with this particular announcement. I've seen some be more critical in the past too.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    No
    No, I speak for myself! I feel they should have not branded this as a Star Wars pack but maybe something similar with their own ideas. I'll still get it to support TS4, and I'm sure I'll find some stuff out of it that I can put to good use for storytelling, but I feel that they could have spent their time and resources on something that the Sims community as a whole could have benefited from.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Yes and no. They do point out a lot of stuff, James for instance has always hated MFP stuff, he also regularly points out stuff, So does Lilsimsie, but I guess as a game changer, getting every dlc for free, it’s hard to be completely objective.
    Also they might be scared to lose their game changer status if they criticize too much.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    No
    Game changers don't speak for us.

In order for them to continue receiving perks, they HAVE to remain positive in their opinions about TS4 and its packs. So really, they may look like us as regular simmers, but bottom line they speak for EAxis. And because of that, I don't trust any of them.

It's just all so strange! The previous iterations were amazing with gameplay and content. They all sold well without any of these game changers or polls - even without these things, the packs were still able to draw so many different types of simmers.

For TS5, I don't want them at all. I want EAxis to take our direct feedback from here and the various social media they are on. WE are the ones buying their games and funding development of their projects and paying their salaries. They should be listening to us. We don't need the extra layer of game changers that EAxis hides behind.

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    No
    Copying my reply from another thread (with some editing):

It's almost like the GC have forgotten they used to be regular players like the rest of us, that they had the same complaints as us, that they felt as unimportant to the dev team as the rest of us... But now, they have been afforded privileges that mean they no longer view The Sims through the lens of the common player.

It's easy to forgive something, when you have no investment in it. For GC it's easy for them to be remain positive or forgive the multitude of sins the game has, when they are essentially; given the game for free, given early access to the game, are given some level of involvement in the game, given access to the team/devs, and are indirectly making money of the game.

And as for them saying 'don't like it, don't buy it' or similar sentiments if just reeks of 'celebrities' who tell the common working individual how they should feel/react etc... while sitting in their multi million dollar home. Extreme comparison I know but the underlying reasoning is the same.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I've seen several "negative" comments from Game Changers about the pack. The difference between the way they express it and the way the bulk of the community expresses it is that GCers are more constructive and tend to flip out a lot less and keep their emotions in check.

I think the angry mob is just expecting them to grab pitchforks and torches and lead the riots when they're actually doing better by being more mature about feedback and going into details about the whys and hows and what could have been done better. Or just stating when something doesn't suit their personal preferences.

They're also generally better about keeping their perceptions in context; that it's just a game and content is not always going to be what they were hoping for.
    #Team Occult
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    No
    Gane changers don't speak for us.

In order for them to continue receiving perks, they HAVE to remain positive in their opinions about TS4 and its packs. So really, they may look like us as regular simmers, but bottom line they speak for EAxis. And because of that, I don't trust any of them.

It's just all so strange! The previous iterations were amazing with gameplay and content. They all sold well without any of these game changers or polls - even without these things, the packs were still able to draw so many different types of simmers.

For TS5, I don't want them at all. I want EAxis to take our direct feedback from here and the various social media they are on. WE are the ones buying their games and funding development of their projects and paying their salaries. They should be listening to us. We don't need the extra layer of game changers that EAxis hides behind.

I agree with this. Game changers don’t speak for me. There are ones that agree with me but say nothing or water their thoughts down to avoid negative backlash and the ones who want to keep on the right side of EA to keep getting free packs, other merchandise and free trips across the world will gush.

The game changer programme should be dumped, it should have been dumped after the controversy it had. All it does is divide the community into important people (as decided by the EA) and non important people. The non important people who are spending their hard earned cash on the products are being ignored while the important people who get everything for free and then some are held up to speak for us. Well I’m sorry, it’s not personal to game changers but they don’t speak for me.
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited August 2020
    No
    Game Changers speak for their fans
    he/him
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    No
    As I understand, the game changers only promote packs. That is the sole purpose of the program. Basically they are a mini marketing department that are not paid. Sure they do get free early access to packs, but only to show it off. While I follow some in the program, I ignore their promotional videos of new packs.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited August 2020
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    Game Changers speak for their fans

This. To elaborate on this, if you don't have a significant following in Social Media, YT or the gallery or can show that in some other way you have a forum to communicate with a large part of the community, you cannot become a Game Changer. So these Simmers didn't just appear out of nowhere, they have a following. Whether you want a GC to speak for you is besides the point. They have influence in the community that's how they got the "job".
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • LumiastaLumiasta Posts: 171 Member
    It would be impossible for 'EA Game Changers' to 'speak for us'.

If we assume that by 'us' you mean 'everyone who plays sims games', that is such a varied group of people and preferences that no matter what a game changer would say, there'd be a huge amount of simmers not agreeing with them.

They are -- as pointed out -- obvious marketing tool, them playing the packs early, making let's plays, showing off CAS and build mode in more detail is wonderful and thorough way for us to see what is in each pack. It's a well-working system, offering us full details preview.

They also each have their own audiences, and through their feedback and comments or stream-chat, they tend to have a good view on what their audience likes or doesn't like in the sims, which they can allegedly forward to the devs in an easy way, but that feedback is just from the audience of that particular game changer. Not even all the simmers that watch youtube or streaming, just that particular audience. That leaves out the simmers who only speak on forums, or don't speak out anywhere and just play.

It is already logistically impossible to 'speak for us', let alone find anything all the simmers would agree on. So they play the sims, and say what they like and don't like, and since they -are- simmers, sim fans, loving the franchise so much that they've dedicated years of their life to playing and streaming and editing and producing content about the sims, it's of course both to be expected and understandable that they -like- sims.

So no, they do not speak for us, nor could they even if they tried. They have early access to content and show what it's like, and beyond that they're simmers, just like us. They like some things, they don't like some things.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No
    Absolutely not. This is what they do:

"Game Changers is EA’s community partnership program that fuses content creators and expert players directly into the game development process enabling early collaborative feedback for improvements. We also empower innovative storytelling by granting creators early access to gameplay capture."

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Evee95Evee95 Posts: 66 Member
    No
    The only youtuber who is honest about this game is LGR and he isn't a game changer. Says alot. In his reviews he always considers price I think that's something the game changers forget because they haven't had to pay for it...its easy to be positive. Who wouldn't be about free stuff.
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Absolutely not. This is what they do:

"Game Changers is EA’s community partnership program that fuses content creators and expert players directly into the game development process enabling early collaborative feedback for improvements. We also empower innovative storytelling by granting creators early access to gameplay capture."

It's interesting how we are reading this so differently. To me the bolded parts mean that EA gets feedback from GCs as representatives of the community, which means that they represent the community in their communication with EA. At least that's how I understand part of the purpose of this program.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No
    @Netzspannung They get feedback from a select few players, yes, to get an idea of how players think. But nowhere does it state that they de facto speak for all of us.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Nindigo wrote: »
    @Netzspannung They get feedback from a select few players, yes, to get an idea of how players think. But nowhere does it state that they de facto speak for all of us.

Ok, I see where we lose each other. To me 'speak for' and 'represent' are synonymous in this context. I mean, of course I speak for myself but if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound ...?

we all try ...
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited August 2020
    No
    they may talk for part of community but their likes and dislikes are obviously subjective opinions that don't say anything about whole communitys likes and dislikes

they may influence their fans opinions but that again does not mean whole community shares that opinion

and lastly i feel like many gamechangers have too similar opinions on few things and its really just one part of players talking

and i do not often agree with that part
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    No
    Its hard to be negative when you are given a goodies for free
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Yes
    I would say the extent to which they do this depends on which GameChangers you follow, or how well their preferences in The Sims fit your own.

Plumbella is my favourite GC so I'm interested to hear her opinion. She's never afraid to criticise a pack when it deserves it but her feedback is always constructive. As a family-oriented Simmer I'd love to know what she thinks of this mess.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    No
    I would say the extent to which they do this depends on which GameChangers you follow, or how well their preferences in The Sims fit your own.

Plumbella is my favourite GC so I'm interested to hear her opinion. She's never afraid to criticise a pack when it deserves it but her feedback is always constructive. As a family-oriented Simmer I'd love to know what she thinks of this mess.

I would like to know too! I’m not sure if she’s a Star Wars fan. But then the English Simmer loves Star Wars and even she had some nit picks about the trailer. (Re used animations etc)
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes
    There's more game changers besides just you tube ones... between the gallery, instagram, different blog sites, there's a lot of different game changers and most of them seem, skeptical and critical. At least from what I am seeing. They're just wording things more constructively than "wHo AsKed FoR thIs?!" and "iTs TraSh!"
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    No
    I saw that one said "Don't like it, don't buy it". I don't care what else they say about anything because that sets them up as condescending and clueless.
    OO2UdmJ.png