Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Star Wars: Journey to Batuu' complaining thread!

Comments

• netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    netney52 wrote: »
    Am I the only person who finds it interesting since the trailer dropped the gurus haven’t made any comments about what is coming in the pack? Usually when trailers drop they answer questions about the pack I haven’t seen this yet with this pack I find it quite interesting how quiet they are being.

Yeah agreed, even GC are surprisingly quiet about it, James Turner aside

Yes I’ve also noticed that too only really seen reaction videos from James and English simmer who I know she was excitied for the pack prior to the trailer as she released a reaction video to the icon leak. I wasn’t convinced by lilsimsie reaction. There’s the thread on the forum of the sourced info (usually very good informative threads) and by now it would have lots of details in it currently it has the info realised from trailer and the webpage.
  • ChatonChaton Posts: 144 Member
    edited August 2020
    I was expecting this pack after the icon leak... but I was still hoping for a more generic space pack. With sims-like aliens, a new space world... Your regular sims could travel to that world or get abducted there... Even if I play in a realistic way, I would have been interested in that.
    But this SW pack seems very limited. From what I gathered you can not live in Batuu, and it looks like there is some sort of story progression that will probably put a damper on the player's creativity. The SW aliens are probably similar to Father Winter and not very playable.
    To me, this pack is not "open ended", it's not versatile, and I'm not sure someone who has never seen SW can enjoy it.
    In the end, we are paying to play inside one big Disney ad.
  • Lisamango0Lisamango0 Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2020
    I've heard that the licensing agreement ends between EA and Star Wars? ( Friend of mine saw that rumour on Reddit)

With that in mind, Isn't it just something they must do, because the team didn't really do a lot with Star Wars in the end(only those CAS items and baby yoda) ? :')
    Post edited by Lisamango0 on
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Am I the only person who finds it interesting since the trailer dropped the gurus haven’t made any comments about what is coming in the pack? Usually when trailers drop they answer questions about the pack I haven’t seen this yet with this pack I find it quite interesting how quiet they are being.

I don’t know, Deligracy said she was sick and tired of the sims community tearing down every pack with negativity. DON’T BUY IT IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT.

She has left twitter following the backlash and deleted the tweet.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited August 2020

I don’t know, Deligracy said she was sick and tired of the sims community tearing down every pack with negativity. DON’T BUY IT IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT.

I mean tbf I wouldn't want to be a GC for exactly this reason. Constantly being accused of being a shill or having to defend your preferences or, worse yet, why you're collaborating (and therefore apparently automatically agreeing on everything) with EA - as if they genuinely had any influence over what EA does or doesn't do - really doesn't sound fun to me. And I don't think you can live off of a couple of packs lol. If I was them, I'd have expanded my audience to include other games ages ago, because making content for this community only must get really frustrating.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

It can't be fun to be a Game Changer right now.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

. If I was them, I'd have expanded my audience to include other games ages ago, because making content for this community only must get really frustrating.

I agree. And I think many tried. And some do.
    I think If you are a game changer it’s probably best to not kick the hornets nest by yelling at an already upset community. And resorting to using don’t buy it if you don’t like it arguement isn’t helpful.
    I’m not saying she deserved any personal attacks.

Anyhow, back on topic.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I don't see how any sort of gameplay or pretty assets could entice me to buy this pack. The devs haven't been very good at separating gameplay before, nor given us a lot of gameplay customization, so I don't see them doing that now either. Instead it seems very locked in, and what you see is what you get kinda deal. IF they give players a choice to customize a theme like this - make stories and themes an option, not a preloaded world with pre coded AI, then perhaps it would have been okay. But it doesn't seem like they even know how to do that.
    They need to learn how to give us powerful tools to build our own world gameplay - you can do this by giving us customization tools for community lots and residential lots - things like which NPCs are loaded, what they do, how many, at what times - add the same tools for residential lots, and we could have made the new world whatever we wanted. Also if we had world editing tools, this could have been even better. The way they've implemented how lots and sims are handled just messes everything up, and limits not only our way of playing, but their way to building the game for us.
    It's time to go back to the drawing board devs, because this is not it.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 858 Member
    I only wanna complain about the fact that these build/buy items seem completely useless for any gameplay in the worlds we have. It all looks post apocalyptic-which I DO like but they do NOT go with any of the worlds we have, so it seems pointless! Also, have Star Wars become real in game when they already have halloween costumes from the franchise just seems off and too self aware? idk lmao.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    logion wrote: »

It can't be fun to be a Game Changer right now.

Oh dear, was the backlash that bad?
    edited August 2020

. If I was them, I'd have expanded my audience to include other games ages ago, because making content for this community only must get really frustrating.

I agree. And I think many tried. And some do.
    I think If you are a game changer it’s probably best to not kick the hornets nest by yelling at an already upset community. And resorting to using don’t buy it if you don’t like it arguement isn’t helpful.
    I’m not saying she deserved any personal attacks.

Anyhow, back on topic.

I agree absolutely btw, it wasn't a smart move. I just get the impression that a lot of them aren't doing too well lately, and covid aside, I wonder how much that has to do with the state of the game / the packs / the community / the daily sims grind lol. But you're right that they've started playing more diverse things, good for them. I'd go crazy if all I ever did was play TS all day, every day :joy:

(But yes, sorry for the slight detour on the thread :))
    Oh yeah @MidnightAura I just read through some of it .. and I gotta be honest, I don't agree with what she said but this kind of mob mentality in the community (and perhaps the internet as a whole) is so sad to me. Responding to a misplaced comment with childish and angry behavior isn't gonna solve anything, and I'm just really allergic to this stuff. Gonna go back to my non sims twitter account, I vastly prefer the maturity levels there :joy:
  • SayNoToGnomesSayNoToGnomes Posts: 44 Member
    I was secretly hopeful James would drag this pack like he did with MFPS and then he just... didn't

> @SimTrippy said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Yeah agreed, even GC are surprisingly quiet about it, James Turner aside
    I was secretly hopeful James would drag this pack like he did with MFPS and then he just... didn't

> @SimTrippy said:
    > (Quote)
    >

I mean if he likes it, he likes it. That's his right :)

> @SimTrippy said:
    > (Quote)
    >

I mean if he likes it, he likes it. That's his right :)

I can understand the GC likes it - it's something completely new to play that isn't the same old same old.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    I just noticed there's a video about this pack on the 'Star Wards Kids' channel on youtube - says everything anyone needs to know.
    Allons-y!

edited August 2020
    beville wrote: »
    Besides Nifty Knitting, I'm started to believe Tiny Living, Eco Lifestyle, and now this Star War thing is really the game changers ideas.
    That being said, look at how much influence they have with the gurus. For years people been complaining about the skintones, and one of them was complaining about naming the cow plant 🙄 another was complaining about the kitchen cabinets in Jungle Adventures.
    And look how the gurus responds back to their requests.
    I feel it's the game changers that is giving them the idea that we the players would be excited for packs like the ones we received for this year. They are not the one's paying for the packs!! And to be honest those game changers do not have any influences on me rather I buy a pack or not.

That just doesn't make much sense. The only reason GC complaints, if they're loud enough, carry more weight is because they, quite literally, carry more weight. They get viewed by way more people than our little rants on the forum or some unknown simmer posting their opinion on their own twitter. When a guy like JT with over a million followers says "hey EA these counters are bull" and all his 1.5 million fans agree, it's hard to ignore. And let's be real, that cowplant fix probably took them like 15 minutes MAX to implement. That's a far less complex fix than, say, adding skin colors (which, I agree, are far more important and also not THAT complex that it should take EA 6 years but I digress).

Does it speak volumes that EA apparently needs to feel the wrath of the masses before responding to anything? Yes. They do this with all their franchises, they really don't give much for any of our opinions, only our cash. But that doesn't mean they care about their GC's opinions either. Only their platforms. The gurus are probably okay and nice people, but it's still the corporation that makes the final decision. And if the corp wants to marry two big cash franchises like SW and TS because they can and because they know it's gonna pull in a ton of people who'd otherwise not even look at TS? Yeah they will. Doesn't matter what you, I, JT or Plumbella have to say about it.
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    A new nail in the coffin for The Sims 4. I wonder how many more does it need.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’d like to say something about a comment I read in the positive topic (and I don’t want to spoil that one): the comment all the negativism is toxic and entitled. Is it? Is a negative opinion automatically toxic? Is anger and disappointment toxic? And is it entitled? Why? An opinion is an opinion. And if one opinion seems to dominate that can be overwhelming and nasty when you don’t share it. That doesn’t necessarily make it toxic or entitled though.

The problem of course isn’t this pack. I was disappointed when Sims 3’s last pack turned out to be a SF one, but it didn’t anger me. It just wasn’t my cup of tea (fortunately it turned out to be a nice cuppa anyways). The problem is and will always be Sims 4 in general.
    Naus wrote: »
    Just remember guys. MONEY is the only language EA understands. Speak with your wallets.

I DO NOT WANT to hear a year from now how this GP sold super well, just like My First Pet Stuff. Y'all need to put your money where your mouth is and SPEAK with your wallets. Okay?

Look some people might genuinely like it, especially once they get more info. I'm not particularly sold on the pack either atm, mostly because of how I think the world will work (not confirmed, so who knows), but can we just all collectively stop telling other simmers how to spend their money? The internet will always only show a fraction of what everyone thinks.
    I suppose they’re adressing those who protest and then buy anyway. This pack gets a lot of backlash, so it will be super weird when it will sell amazingly. Yet it will. And that is something people are allowed to adress because it’s part of the problem for them.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited August 2020
    @SimTrippy it may not make sense to you! but, I see it differently. ;)
    Post edited by beville on
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don’t mind Star Wars as a theme conceptually (I mean, these kinds of crossovers will always be a little weird to me, but I can get over it), but I’m disappointed, if they’re going to do this kind of thing, that they don’t let us actually do it.

To me, any hypothetical appeal of a Sims x Franchise or Sims x Genre crossover is being able to bring a sims style of gameplay to that universe.

Sims is about playing everyday life. I want it to still be about that even when it’s aliens or magic or Star Wars.

This is what I think the Vampires GP got the most right. They didn’t just add Vampires (and the cool tree system), they gave us a meaningful way to play with a vampire’s daily life. They gave vampires a world and daily use objects (coffins, plasma packs, etc).

If you’re going to do Sims meets Star Wars, I want a livable world. I don’t want to go through a portal or have a distinct and segregated experience.

(I DO think this stuff should be toggle-able, so you can have realism saves).

If you tell me you’re making a Sims Star Wars, to me the appeal of that is the idea of getting to explore daily life in the Star Wars universe. The whole reason you would make Star Wars into The Sims instead of some other game is to be The Sims. If I want to have a narrative adventure or solve puzzles or whatever, I can play a dozen other video games. A dozen other Star Wars games!

I don’t think the devs had much choice about making this, and I don’t hate it, and I don’t think anyone deserves to harassed for it. It’s basically harmless.

But I want to live in the magic realm. I want kids to have magic. I want to live on Batuu as a Star Wars alien and make money from scraps and try to talk my kid out of joining the rebellion because I’m scared for them. I want to live in the jungle and have a skeleton for a neighbor. I want to have an underwater mermaid home with a mermaid job and mermaid friends and a pet octopus. I want to live on Sixam and get alien jobs and have alien hobbies and alien aspirations.

I don’t want the game to cease being a life simulation and become an adventure game or just disparate unrelated gameplay that doesn’t mesh with the sim’s daily life the moment genre stuff gets added. The whole appeal of adding that genre stuff, to me, is to simulate that in daily life. I remain a little bitter that Sims Medieval was an RPG and not a proper Sims game, and I still want proper Sims gameplay from these ideas instead of using the Sims engine to make story and RPG or puzzle games, but badly.

It’s harmless, and I’m sure other people like it, and I am happy for them, but it’s not what I want.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.