Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think of Journey to Batuu?

Comments

• TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited August 2020
    Definitely not buying
    It really depends on the pack delivering interesting non-linear gameplay. If it's just a recolored Jungle Adventure, then it's a disappointment.

Jungle Adventure at least fits in with the rest of TS4's universe, and the build/buy is great for renovating Oasis Springs.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Can’t wait!
    Oh, this is going to turn into another gripe thread. I'm out.
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    edited August 2020
    Definitely not buying
    I expected this and I'm still disappointed. Even as a sci-fi fan and a casual Star Wars fan, I'm not the least bit interested in what I saw in that trailer.

I thought we could at least get some good futuristic styled build/buy items like in TS3's Future pack. But all this stuff is just...ew. Star Wars has so many cool styles and locations. Why restrict yourself to just Batuu? If you just HAVE to do this soulless and desperate tie-in, at least go all out. Because I guarantee you they'll only barely scratch the surface of what you could actually do with a Star Wars pack.

Side note, how much you wanna bet you can't actually kill anyone with the blasters and lightsabers?
  • MitheledhMitheledh Posts: 14 New Member
    Okay / Not really bothered
    I love Star Wars. I've been a fan of the franchise for decades. But Disney Star Wars is trash. They ran it through the mud while mocking the fans. If this had been classic Star Wars or even prequel Star Wars, I would have been much more interested. By making it trash Star Wars... I can only hope someone will put out an overhaul mod for it.
  • gcubedgcubed Posts: 5 New Member
    Definitely not buying
    This is a dark day for the Sims.
  • boyinflorida21boyinflorida21 Posts: 477 Member
    The pack not trash .
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Honestly this game pack makes me so happy!

I'm not some huge fan of Star Wars, but I'll take whatever unrealistic gameplay I can get at this point.

My only concern is that it appears our sims won't be able to live on Batuu, but will instead be like a vacation world. I really hope this isn't the case, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think I'd prefer a vacation world -- might be good for my Geek Sims and maybe the astronauts or scientists. It might be worth a single playthrough, like Strangerville, but I don't really see it fitting into my everyday gameplay.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    Definitely not buying
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Oh, this is going to turn into another gripe thread. I'm out.

I mean...It's not like they don't give us plenty of reasons for these threads to turn into this XD
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Can’t wait!
    Maybe it's just me looking for some sort of positives but despite not enjoying the Star Wars Franchise/movies (I know, hate me all you want), the new pack actually seems pretty cool, especially if you ignore the novelty familiarity of the outfits/weapons and see it as the base, which is...AN EXTENTION ON ALIENS.

We've talked about aliens being given more to them and technically, again, ignoring the whole sell-out thing, it is, they are being extended to some extent, and personally, I'm excited!

Visting a new world/planet, having a dive bar for all my outer-space peeps to chill without human sims acting surprised to see aliens even tho it's like their 5th grandchild from their alien kid who's now grown up and very done with their parent's forgetfulness (We've been through this, Carole, Johnny's an alien, he's plumming blue! Quit acting like this is suddenly news to you).

Be angry, obviously, be annoyed, upset, etc, I was too at first glance but then my view shifted and I saw "Alien Extention", New place, new bars to hang at, new stuff to do and more ways to expire because no doubt there's gonna be a new death, probably involving Baby Yoda.

I am just super pumped for this pack and not really bothered about the theme because it's aliens overall, and my aliens need something to give their lives zest! even if it's crying to their bestie about Carole forgetting they're an alien again
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Definitely not buying
    I love star wars but not in my Sims game. This is one pack I will never buy even on sale. It literally has nothing I want to add to my Sims games. Usually I can find something I like about packs that I'm not 100% interested in like build/buy but that doesn't even apply with this pack. I've been disappointed in the past but this takes the cake.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Definitely not buying
    After Eco Lifestyle I had to take a break. And I promised myself that I would no longer buy packs at release. I was a little bit worried that it might be difficult to resist buying more packs for my favorite game.

Well you did not make it very difficult now Maxis/EA/Disney
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited August 2020
    If it has.... (comment)
    I will probably be able to come up with some way to use it in my game and in that case could be tempted to buy it in a sale. I haven't even watched Star Wars, so my interest level is really low. This could even be the first pack I skip completely.

Edit: If is has something I want to use in my game, talking about gameplay.
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 711 Member
    edited August 2020
    Pretty good
    Well I'm actually excited to explore the world and build items so I'll probably get it when it's on sale. I'm kind of a casual Star Wars fan so I understand why most people are mad about this. Game Packs are usually very centered around a certain theme and they've been doing a pretty good job with these so at least another EP will come at the end of the year for those who don't want to get this.

I do feel bad about The Sims team and gurus because they put a lot of work into making these and they've faced so much hatred with Eco Living and now this. I think new content is not being a good idea for this game and fans just want to get the same stuff over and over again. (Seasons, Pets, University, Family play) I mean this is probably EA trying to make a cash grab pack obviously but still, it's nice to see something different once in a while.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    First impressions from the trailer aren't good - and I was kind of looking forward to this one.

1. No new residential world. Its either a vacation world or worse, like sixam or the magic realm. A one lot nothing.
    2. The build buy is ok. What I did notice is lots of little star wars iconic items as little decor pieces. I'm worried that this pack is all set dressing with little thought put into any thing else.
    3. Droid is a reskinned party bot from DU. The one droid ability we saw was a reuse of the lightening animation. Again. On the plus side, he's adorable.
    4. Lightsaber duels are reskinned acting career fight scene from whatever pack that is.
    5. Very heavily Star Wars instead of a more generic space theme. I'm not adverse to that per say, but they lost a lot of interest going all in. Heck, all they needed was to throw a normal sized telescope into the pack and they'd have got a bunch of people excited.
    6. Story/Mission driven. An 'eh' from me. Any attempt at playing through the missions etc is going to be ruined by the sims complete lack of engagement with their surroundings. There does seem to be multiple paths you can go down, which is an improvement from the criticism people had of Strangerville.
    7. It shows a sith? But doesn't show anyone using the force as far as I can tell. No new occult?
    8. I bet all those aliens were sims in masks. Which means they're going to turn up at your local library/bar/sims house. And upset fantasy players who actually want them to be aliens with abilities.

Of course the trailer may not do it justice. What they choose to show isn't always what each individual player would be interested in. I would've liked to see more of the 'Sith' type sim. Was he using some kind of ability, or was it just for show?

I'm still sort of excited, even though I'm not a hard core Star Wars fan. But the trailer missed the mark for me.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Can’t wait!
    I much prefer a fantasy type content so I can't wait for this. I'm hoping we can live there, but I fear we can't. I'll have to wait and see the live stream but I'm so excited to see where this goes.

We've had 33 packs in 6 years and only 5 of them had occult themes or an occult life state added in. We have a lot of "real" content. Fortunately is just a game pack and all confined to the one pack so if people don't want this science fiction element, they really can just skip it.

I don't expect it to sell as well as other packs, it's a really niche thing but I personally will be buying it at some point. :)
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Ehhhh, not really what I want. I really want stories and branching choices, but more in the vein of "help Johnny Zest from being written out of the will" as a hook to get the player invested in the neighborhood, and less of Star Wars. There's some assets that look nice. The adobe-esque wall covering would be fantastic for places like Oasis Springs, but $20 US is a lot for just a few wallpapers or accessories. I think I'll be sitting this one out.

Pity. We're running out of potential packs and I was hoping that the werewolf enthusiasts would get a bone thrown their way. Pun intended. Sorry pups. Werewolves are, of course, lesser beings governed by base instincts, but I was hoping that you all would get to have the sort of fun that we vampires have been having for a few years now. It really isn't fair to you.
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Definitely not buying
    I absolutely hate it.

The Sims 4 has been out for six years and the forums are filled with hundreds of posts all begging for the same things... Cars, Generations, updated babies, hobbies, farming, better personalities, in-depth gameplay.

What does EA reward its loyal fanbase with?

Star Wars.

At this point unless they seriously rehaul this hollow game I don't think I'll be buying any more packs. The developers clearly have their fingers in their ears to their dedicated fanbase and are undeserving of so many loyal fans and their wallets.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Pretty good
    I like Star Wars and the world that comes with the pack looks great!

I've been asking for aircraft to be added to The Sims and it looks like they're adding them now! I don't know if you can control the aircraft through your sims, but this is a start!

I hope flight will be added to TS5 too, with more features!

• aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Definitely not buying
    The only thing I'm looking forward to in September his LGR's review of this.....thing.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    Can’t wait!
    I’m so excited! I love Star Wars so much and it’s funny how they announce this just as I have been watching those movies the past couple of nights.😍 It’s made me all the more excited.
  • domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    Definitely not buying
    In no way will I support this blatant cash grab. This has turned me off the game in general, maybe permanently.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Can’t wait!
    I'm excited for it, shame that the community's so negative about it. I don't get why people don't realise you can just not buy a pack if you don't want it and it doesn't fit your play style. The game caters to lots of different play style with its packs and it always has.

I couldn't care less for Parenthood, so I just haven't bought it and I don't plan to. Simple.
    Post edited by Onverser on
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    If it has.... (comment)
    If it doesn't interfere with regular gameplay, then this seems like a nice pack.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Definitely not buying
    I am not the biggest SciFi fan, but I would have probably found something to enjoy about a normal space pack. A Star Wars pack, though? I am not a fan if the IP; I know next to nothing about it. All the little Easter eggs that make this a true pleasure for fans will be like an inside joke I was excluded from. So yeah, no purchase. It will be the first pack in 4 that I will specifically not be buying.

Honestly, the trailer had no redeeming qualities for me. It did not seem to go full on vacation or full on space, and fumbled somewhere in the middle. All I saw was Star Wars characters and lightsabers (I suppose a starship, but I cannot imagine them being much more interactive than rockets). We already have rockets, a sword fighting animation, Star Wars outfits. Right now it feels like I would just being paying $20 for the right to have an IP I do not even like in my game, and I have been to the real Disney Batu.

So, yeah. I'll see what the supposed gameplay is when the info gets released, but right now it feels like a $20 dress up pack. I cannot imagine anything that would make me want to buy it at this point.