Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monetizing cc / mods (UGC in general)

CatSaarCatSaar Posts: 45 Member
edited April 2022 in General Mods Discussion
To @SimGuruFrost and who else it may concern.
The discussion about monetization of UGC has recently been getting out of hand again, mostly in the Simblr part of the community because that's where most cc creators are. Every other day there are fights and call out posts about scummy monetization practices. From using stolen watermarked textures on cc to patreon exclusive cc that never gets released to the public for free. (let's not even talk about the extremes who DMCA others for sharing their exclusive cc or attacking people who make an add on set on their cc set)
Creators who blatantly break EA tos defend themselves with either that the last official statement by Maxis was made in 2017 by SimGuruDrake and because she's not on the team anymore it somehow doesn't count anymore (???) but then also use this blurry screenshot of a DM conversation with SimGuruDrake as proof that they are allowed to do patreon exclusive because they make their cc from scratch. Even tho this confusingly worded question seems to be about 3D models for 3D projects and games, so not cc specific for the sims at the moment of sale.
I'm not against monetizing cc through a donation button or patreon early access (2-3 weeks) as is allowed already, but I think it is important that there is a level playing field for all.
Please please please make a new and clear official statement on this topic. I'm so tired of the fighting over this and seeing good people leave Simblr because of this. It is sad that this topic keeps tearing the community apart.
Thank you in advance
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Trumpets0ngTrumpets0ng Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2020
    CatSaar wrote: »
    To @SimGuruFrost and who else it may concern.
    The discussion about monetization of UGC has recently been getting out of hand again, mostly in the Simblr part of the community because that's where most cc creators are. Every other day there are fights and call out posts about scummy monetization practices. From using stolen watermarked textures on cc to patreon exclusive cc that never gets released to the public for free. (let's not even talk about the extremes who DMCA others for sharing their exclusive cc or attacking people who make an add on set on their cc set)
    Creators who blatantly break EA tos defend themselves with either that the last official statement by Maxis was made in 2017 by SimGuruDrake and because she's not on the team anymore it somehow doesn't count anymore (???) but then also use this blurry screenshot of a DM conversation with SimGuruDrake as proof that they are allowed to do patreon exclusive because they make their cc from scratch. Even tho this confusingly worded question seems to be about 3D models for 3D projects and games, so not cc specific for the sims at the moment of sale.
    I'm not against monetizing cc through a donation button or patreon early access (2-3 weeks) as is allowed already, but I think it is important that there is a level playing field for all.
    Please please please make a new and clear official statement on this topic. I'm so tired of the fighting over this and seeing good people leave Simblr because of this. It is sad that this topic keeps tearing the community apart.
    Thank you in advance

Agreed @SimGuruFrost . I feel like Simblr is an often overlooked community, but there are a TON of cc creators, builders and storytellers present there. I have been Simming since The Sims 1(playing with the Sim City before that), and in all my years of play, it has never been this bad or prevalent in the community. Maybe it's due to the growing popularity of crowd funding sites, but some of the creators are indeed making this a problem, taking advantage and its becoming more and more common.
    Much like @CatSaar said, we're not opposed to the 2-3 week early access rule, or the donation button, but the level playing field is key. If a clear statement could be issued, it might go a long way. This is a large and amazing community, but I worry if this isn't addressed, it might serve to further divide it.

Thank you for your help.
  • BrittEqualsLoveBrittEqualsLove Posts: 2 New Member
    We cannot deny that the modding community is a huge driver for the Sims. Many play the game because they’ve been introduced or have enhanced their game due to cc created by simmers. I agree that the issue of paywalls and monetization needs to be addressed before we lose more modders who make the game and the community what it is today. @SimGuruFrost
  • MamaBearsSimsMamaBearsSims Posts: 1 New Member
    Everyone has brought up amazing points so far. I would also appreciate an official/updated stance on this matter. It's confusing when members of the Game Changer program themselves are going against the statement made in 2017. Please shed some clarity on this matter. Thank you!
  • cybrth0tcybrth0t Posts: 2 New Member
    @SimGuruFrost You want to weigh in on this??
  • QuiddityQuiddity Posts: 8 New Member
    Without a clear stance and a leveled out playing field, there will be a division in the community about what is and is not legal concerning creating mods for the Sims games. Simblr is still highly active and one of the hubs for this gaming community, especially for those creating and sharing mods. I'm concerned about the inequity and direction that the CC community has been heading in for a while now. It'd be great if EA could clearly come out about modders who force people to pay for their content, rather than simply having a 2-3 week waiting period.
  • CatSaarCatSaar Posts: 45 Member
    Also a clarification as to what falls under cc that can be monetized because the biggest confusion is meshes made from scratch (even tho they still need in game code/assets to work in the sims) vs EA altered/recolored meshes. Because as I understand tos there is no difference when it comes to the rules of UGC yet this is the one where most people are divided on. @SimGuruFrost
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    This subject definitely needs clarity, but clarity alone will do little. It needs reinforcement. What's the point of having rules if there are no consequences for breaking them? I certainly wouldn't care to follow them either. And, this isn't new. This debate existed in the TS3 days too, and I think I remember something being done about it. (even if though the results only encouraged people to find new, ways to violate the rules)
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • TheRichAntSimTheRichAntSim Posts: 1 New Member
    I agree with everyone above. Although I appreciate what content creators bring to the game. There definitely needs to be an updated, clear and concise statement from EA about the monetization of UGC. There should also be action taken when creators don't adhere to those rules.
  • stephaniemitrovicstephaniemitrovic Posts: 1 New Member
    I need your help and do not know if I got it right.
    Is there any way you can get the cc back via cctray or in some other way? Happened to delete everything when sims did not want to start ...
  • CatSaarCatSaar Posts: 45 Member
    I need your help and do not know if I got it right.
    Is there any way you can get the cc back via cctray or in some other way? Happened to delete everything when sims did not want to start ...

please stick to the topic of the discussion. I can't really help you with that but I take it the cc is in the bin of your computer so you can restore it there. If you need more help please start a new discussion.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top