Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims be aimed at an older audience?

Comments

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I don't think the game is childish per se, just trying too hard not to include stuff that could offend or trigger people, and comes off as childish as a result.

Personally, I'm glad that there is no explicit alcohol or drugs in the game (although I try to avoid anything "juice"-related because I get the feeling that that's their euphemism for alcohol), but on the other hand I wish sims could die of illness and sadness, and that pets could die of things other than old age. Regarding the latter, I seem to remember a guru saying that allowing pets to die of anything else would be too much for people, and I wondered: "What people? Toddlers?" (Not saying that only toddlers can be upset when their pet dies, but then what difference does it make if it dies of old age or an illness you refused to treat?)

I had that same reaction to other reasons for not including certain stuff, but when I think about it, it really comes down to things being triggering for some people, not necessarily for small children. And if it's triggering for some people, it can't be included in a game that is meant to be played by everyone. That's how I see it - not how I like it, but how I think the developers make those decisions. (Still doesn't explain the living nightmare fuel that is the cowplant, but... no theory is perfect.)

This is the only game I have ever played that has went to such extreme lengths to avoid “offending/triggering” people. Almost like the ones getting offended are the people making the game.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    In Germany the game is rated G right now so there you have it. Germans think it's pretty childish too :lol:

Indeed, here in Germany all packs of all iterations have been available for 6 year old children. The US teen rating is a joke.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I really dislike the fact that they add more diversity than gameplay. I get it people want representation, because basically that is what their marketing constantly brags about. Representation and when it is not enough people asked for more. Remember those times where rather than Create yourself or Represent, or Create without boundaries, the tagline for the franchise is simply "Play With Life"? Miss those times
  • Options
    shacoriashacoria Posts: 247 Member
    I agree that I would like a more "cheeky" game, as that is what the previous games were. Not explicit, but fun and playful.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited August 2020
    What where is the game water down? Also that doesn't mean anything if they want a 12 year old to play the game in today standards you can let kids play any game that the parents want them to play including mature games . So saying you don't want a 12 year old playing The Sims 4 is not very realistic. So no the game isn't childish per say it just depends on who you let play the game its fun for everyone in a sense because it really isn't that a terribly violent game.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    So_Money wrote: »
    moral and ethical dilemmas

This is something The Sims 3 is really good at. I was just playing the Alto family and I was given the opportunity to steal money with Vita. I decided not to do it because I didn't want to risk getting fired. Nick was given the opportunity to fire somebody and I did it. I got a raise as a result but the person he fired hates his guts now.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    OP, I totally agree! I'm not seeing you asking for sex and violence as some people are implying you are. It's rated teen but I agree TS4 seem very childish. The more subtle humour in the previous iterations is by far more funny than TS4 slapstick humour imo.

I read somewhere you can't have a party without goals? Why does the game "want to hold your hand" in every situation. What age is it really aimed for? Remember the selling campaign for TS4: You create. You control. You rule. Not so much...

Scobre wrote: »
    I play a lot of teen rated games and yes Sims 4 is very E 10 if even that high. I don't want an adult rated game either. I just want some of the dark humor back and less childish romantic interactions. It is odd how Sims are kind of stuck in the 1950s with a lot of things including how they sleep in the bed together like. A lot of the social interactions make it seem like the Sims all have covid so makes gameplay feel disconnected.

LOL! No "risky" romantic interactions but they allow seeing death, violence and psykopatic behaviour because of the flawed emotion system. Not sure this is suitable for a 5 year old child to see :shttps://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/785845/kids-on-fire.
    LOL. Sims 3 traits were a lot of fun. Then again we are on forums that was too risky to have a disagree button too. While the other languages are mature enough to have it.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    as a player i can say i never notice content that has been watered down and if you look at real life some adult ya by there own choice sleep in twin beds like some adults makes the choice to live toghter with out the need to be married, the sims4 is a life simulator made to create characters (sims give them virtual lives create there story of how they live there virtual life and have fun playing the game not to recreate reallife itself. The way i see the game is to have fun and escape everyday life and concern not recreate in the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Just do it like Sims 2 in my opinion it was just enough to be ok for teens and adults. I miss the connections the sims had with one another in that game. Parents with children dancing on their feet. The cuddle while sleeping for couples along with waking up in the arms of their significant other. Toddlers playing miss Mary Mack and fighting over bottles.

I often think it is less about making the game more adultish and more about the sims themselves making more meaningful relationships and expressing those feelings in animations and less in moodlets.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm disturbed by the fact that people hear the word adult and think it equals sex gore and violence 😖
    I love adult books and movies but I won't even touch one that has those themes. I like the depth and maturity of them

I want more depth,challenge,more reactions, injuries,mature behavior and body language from sims not the joker grins and childish walks and behaviors they do. I think pose player poses and animations people use for machima, or however you spell it, is the perfect example.

If you look at the animations they create the sims move,talk, act in a normal and serious manner. And that's what most people like or they wouldn't be making tons of these animations.

I understand the sims were always a bit silly and goofy but I personally think sims 4 went way to childish in that respect. It's hard for me to create a serious vibe in the game without poses and mods.

I don't think anything at this point in time will change with the sims 4, that's the direction they decided to go in. It is what it is.

Oh and I forgot to say this game seriously needs a sence of danger and a fear emotion. Those are the kind of things I consider adult and mature.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Just do it like Sims 2 in my opinion it was just enough to be ok for teens and adults. I miss the connections the sims had with one another in that game. Parents with children dancing on their feet. The cuddle while sleeping for couples along with waking up in the arms of their significant other. Toddlers playing miss Mary Mack and fighting over bottles.

I often think it is less about making the game more adultish and more about the sims themselves making more meaningful relationships and expressing those feelings in animations and less in moodlets.

This is something I've wanted to see since the beginning. 😭😭😭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited August 2020
    This thread should be under the Feedback section.

Whenever we’re trying to define an issue with TS4, it always comes down to the non-sensical personality system and the lack of consequences.
    The AI in this game is so incredibly dumbed down that I feel like a preschooler playing it, so yes, the Germans are right in that regard.

Of course the game should never be shipped with explicit features like sex, drugs and violence, but it was never that way in previous titles. Anything that hinted towards mature content like the above, has always been implemented in a suggestive way, something a child might not even understand, but an adult would. That’s the art of being subtle. Often times less is more, but just omitting elements because we live in a snowflake society is just as extreme as going explicit.
    The personality of the game itself is completely lost.

Indeed, the 4th generation of sims have never experienced true fear and failure.
    The only failure that exists in their life is the occasional energy or bladder failure because these guys either don’t have the intellect to find the nearest bathroom, or they simply insist on not doing as we direct them.

We should not have to fix the ai by adding a truckload of personality/ storytelling mods that barely do anything, because the core is lacking.
    Without any of those mods it doesn’t only get boring for many adult players, but also for kids, so they’d jump right back to playing Fortnight or whatever next thing children and teens (and adults) play these days.

Vanilla base game should be solid enough in itself and right now I feel bad for console players.

Anyway, I’m only repeating what folks have been saying in this thread and many other threads around the forum. It always come down to the same aul thing.

On a final note, let’s not underestimate the intelligence of kids.
    Ultimately the lack of personalities and consequences has nothing to do with whether this game is geared towards kids or adults, it’s simply geared toward non-Intellectuals. In that case, we may have to change the thread title:

Should The Sims Be Aimed At An Intelligent Audience?

Answer: Yes Please.
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
  • Options
    EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    Trying to play this game makes me feel like I've been lobotomized twice, so I resoundingly add my own 'Yes Please'.
  • Options
    GrannySims61GrannySims61 Posts: 1 New Member
    Well, I am about as old a Simmer as you can get in this game and I still love it. However, not all packs appeal to me. Example, I will not be buying the Vampire Expansion even though the build content has good creepy stuff, just don't care for the gameplay that comes with it. Just not something I am into.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

Whenever we’re trying to define an issue with TS4, it always comes down to the non-sensical personality system and the lack of consequences.
    The AI in this game is so incredibly dumbed down that I feel like a preschooler playing it, so yes, the Germans are right in that regard.

Of course the game should never be shipped with explicit features like sex, drugs and violence, but it was never that way in previous titles. Anything that hinted towards mature content like the above, has always been implemented in a suggestive way, something a child might not even understand, but an adult would. That’s the art of being subtle. Often times less is more, but just omitting elements because we live in a snowflake society is just as extreme as going explicit.

Indeed, the 4th generation of sims have never experienced true fear and failure.
    The only failure that exists in their life is the occasional energy or bladder failure because these guys either don’t have the intellect to find the nearest bathroom, or they simply insist on not doing as we direct them.

We should not have to fix the ai by adding a truckload of personality/ storytelling mods that barely do anything, because the core is lacking.
    Without any of those mods it doesn’t only get boring for many adult players, but also for kids, so they’d jump right back to playing Fortnight or whatever next thing children and teens (and adults) play these days.

Vanilla base game should be solid enough in itself and right now I feel bad for console players.

Anyway, I’m only repeating what folks have been saying in this thread and many other threads around the forum. It always come down to the same aul thing.

Ultimately the lack of personalities and consequences has nothing to do with whether this game is geared towards kids or adults, it’s simply geared toward non-Intellectuals. In that case, we may have to change the thread title:

I love your input in threads. So true. I hate how Fortnite has been the staple of dumbing down games. Why I appreciate games like Gris, Celeste, and Stardew Valley in the indie market that not only have a great story but the gameplay keeps players engaged too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    > @LiELF said:
    > Asking for more adult themes in a life or social simulator or even a "storytelling game" is not asking for blood, sex and violence. It's merely asking for maturity, and a higher level of realism and relatability.
    >
    > The Sims in 4 are never challenged. They don't have to overcome any challenges to succeed, they just...succeed. This is one of the things that makes them unrelatable and when the game is unrelatable, it's not as fun or interesting.
    >
    > Sims also don't carry anxiety or fear or have nervous breakdowns when their life desires aren't being met, they don't hold grudges against wrongdoings, they don't react to stressful events with anything more than a moodlet buff that wears out quickly or gets overrun with one of the gazillion happy buffs.
    >
    > I mean, seriously. They don't have a fear emotion at all. That, in itself, is a travesty.
    >
    > They don't fail. How can this game ever claim to be a successor to its previous iterations when Sims can never go wrong? Yeah, there are little hiccups of small and insignificant failures, but there are no consequences to be carried as a result. So even those rare and tiny failures hardly matter.
    >
    > Maxis has been pushing and promoting this game as a way for players to tell our stories, whether fictional or from our own life experiences. Well, what if those stories are meant to be full of hardship? What if those stories need obstacles? What of the tales about overcoming fears and anxieties and getting through stressors to come out stronger in the end? And what about the personal struggles of getting knocked down, of facing failure, and then finding a new path to accomplishment? Why can't we tell those stories without Sims constantly grinning from ear to ear and skipping off to the nearest electronic device?
    >
    > And the thing is, these things can be done in a way that's humorous, that makes us smile and recognize these circumstances and become more invested in our Sims because now we understand them, now they make sense. We all go through hardships and stress and anxiety. We all fail once in a while, we all fear something, and it's those things that unify us because we can acknowledge it and empathize with it.
    >
    > The older games had this magic. They had the ability to make us really relate and empathize with our Sims and laugh about the dark side of life. In a way, it was therapeutic to see the simplicity and commonality of life problems manifest in this little digital world of people, and have the power to either direct them through it or revel in it. That, to me, is a true safe space. A place where each player can decide for themselves how they want to work through these obstacles, or even avoid them altogether. The choices were ours.
    >
    > Now, unfortunately, those choices have been made for us. I would most definitely like to have them back.

This is a very good post. With sims 5 they really should study how to make a sandbox game FUN and challenging .

And , how to make characters that are actually interesting to play with.
    Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P
  • Options
    I made Don Lothario kiss and flirt with both Caliente sisters at the same time, nothing happened. Thats so boring. Had i done that in sims 2, somebody would have been gotten slapped down . Without me having to pull the strings.

• Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited August 2020
    I made Don Lothario kiss and flirt with both Caliente sisters at the same time, nothing happened. Thats so boring. Had i done that in sims 2, somebody would have been gotten slapped down . Without me having to pull the strings.

Today my sim husband flirted in front of his wife & she didn’t even react to it .its a shame that the selling point for the sims 4 was emotions but they’re so bland . We don’t even have fear.
  • Options
    Justin wrote: »

Today my sim husband flirted in front of his wife & she didn’t even react to it .its a shame that the selling point for the sims 4 was emotions but they’re so bland . We don’t even have fear.

Sims not being able to be afraid is so dumb. Sims need fear. And all the other basic interactions and lifelike qualities they are missing :)

• Options
    Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    edited August 2020
    I agree with many posters here. What this game is lacking is conflict. Conflict comes in many forms and can't simply be whittled down to "adult themes". I think this is where a few other posters are missing the point. Having something to overcome challanges players. This game needs failure states, it doesn't need to be anything excessive. A light hearted version of failures we experience in everyday life shouldn't be a controversial thing to add to a life sim. But lets face it, this isn't really a life sim because of things like this.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member

To be honest, if TS was a little bit less subtle and a little bit more explicit I would like it too 😉. I would really love a romance pack with some more interactions and some hot clothes for the men. In this regard, TS4 is a disaster.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I really dislike the fact that they add more diversity than gameplay. I get it people want representation, because basically that is what their marketing constantly brags about. Representation and when it is not enough people asked for more. Remember those times where rather than Create yourself or Represent, or Create without boundaries, the tagline for the franchise is simply "Play With Life"? Miss those times

Imagine being upset that people want diversity in a life simulator game....can’t ‘Play with Life’ if the life you want to play as isn’t represented properly....

Also you people seem to forgot (always) that those on console don’t have the option to play with mods so they’re stuck with a watered down experience. The core game needs to be better without mods so everyone can enjoy it...
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Imagine being upset that people want diversity in a life simulator game....can’t ‘Play with Life’ if the life you want to play as isn’t represented properly....

Also you people seem to forgot (always) that those on console don’t have the option to play with mods so they’re stuck with a watered down experience. The core game needs to be better without mods so everyone can enjoy it...

Imagine thinking Sims 4 is a life simulator when Rachel Franklin said (in 2015) it’s not, it’s a game about drama. She was the executive producer on the game until 2016 so I would take her word on that.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

Imagine thinking Sims 4 is a life simulator when Rachel Franklin said (in 2015) it’s not, it’s a game about drama. She was the executive producer on the game until 2016 so I would take her word on that.

Imagine name dropping Rachel when a lot of people disagreed with her actions concerning the game. Also at the end of the day it’s still a life simulator whether it has ‘drama’ or not....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif