Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues (2020-22 version!)

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @elleskyheart This is a great guide for installing .package-based content, whether the items are cc or mods:

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

There's a ready-made Mods Framework you can download and extract, then drop in the Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts. It comes with to sample mods so you can confirm that the setup is working, but you can delete those any time you want with no negative consequences.

If you'd rather make the folders yourself, open Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, create a Mods folder inside, create a Packages folder inside that, download a copy of Resource.cfg from somewhere, and put it in the Mods folder, next to but not inside Packages. Any .package file goes inside Packages. You can find a Resource.cfg on the site linked above, or in the NRaas guide to installing mods.

Be sure to delete the five cache files in the Sims 3 folder any time you add or remove content from that folder.
    • CASPartCache.package
    • compositorCache.package
    • scriptCache.package
    • simCompositorCache.package
    • socialCache.package
  • elleskyheartelleskyheart Posts: 69 Member
    @elleskyheart This is a great guide for installing .package-based content, whether the items are cc or mods:

https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

There's a ready-made Mods Framework you can download and extract, then drop in the Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts. It comes with to sample mods so you can confirm that the setup is working, but you can delete those any time you want with no negative consequences.

If you'd rather make the folders yourself, open Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, create a Mods folder inside, create a Packages folder inside that, download a copy of Resource.cfg from somewhere, and put it in the Mods folder, next to but not inside Packages. Any .package file goes inside Packages. You can find a Resource.cfg on the site linked above, or in the NRaas guide to installing mods.

Be sure to delete the five cache files in the Sims 3 folder any time you add or remove content from that folder.
    • CASPartCache.package
    • compositorCache.package
    • scriptCache.package
    • simCompositorCache.package
    • socialCache.package

Thanks so much. I'll give this method a try this week and let you know. I'm not huge on CC with the sims 3, but I've. noticed people who use it. Gonna see if I can get it to work. But thanks so much for the help
  • dirtdetectivesdirtdetectives Posts: 3 New Member
    @igazor - Thank you so much for the info! I took all of the .sims3 packs out of the Downloads, and that made all the difference in the world!!! Before, my game kept crashing. Then, it got to where it wouldn't launch at all. I thought it was because I have so many mods in the game, maybe a couple of thousand. As soon as I took the .sims3packs out, my game starts right up, only takes a few minutes to load. And it's not crashing anymore. Again, thank you!
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    I was able to register all 3 discs of TSE Starter Pack however so I am not sure but yea probably a useless paperweight

@PurpleMysticSea You mean there were FOUR discs in that DVD box!?! Wow, that must have been crowded.

Maybe not... if I were you I would contact customer service just to see if there's any chance they could give you a Supernatural code. They probably won't, but there's no harm in trying, is there?
  • LizzyBeeLizzyBee Posts: 14 New Member
    Hey, sorry to be repetitive, I know you get asked this a lot, but the previous computer I wanted to buy is not in stock, so I was looking at other options.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/cart/showcart.aspx?url=%2fsystem%2fEVO-Mini-A-300&ref=add

I wanted to know if this was good enough or too powerful? Or do any of the options need changed? Thanks for your help.
    @LizzyBee The link takes me to an empty shopping cart, probably because I'm not signed into your account. But I think this is the base model you're considering, at least:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/EVO-Mini-A-300

You can save a configuration and send me the link, if you've changed any of the details and want me to see the hardware you've picked out. The base model is overkill for Sims 3 (not that it's a bad thing), at least if you're planning to play at a resolution of 1920x1080 and at 60 Hz. I don't remember if you ever specified what kind of monitor you wanted, so maybe you'd prefer the faster card, and of course there's nothing wrong with getting more power than you strictly need.

There are a few things I personally wouldn't want in this particular build, although they may not bother you. But the quality overall is still significantly better than what you'd find in a prebuilt model from another manufacturer. The only thing I would say you really need to change from the default configuration is the power supply: spend the extra $10 to get the EVGA 600W Gold, rather than the "standard" model, i.e. whatever cheap option the company has lying around when your computer gets built.

If you'd like to see a few prebuilt models as well, let me know. And as far as price goes, let me know the shipping cost on this one—there's another model I personally like better that's significantly more expensive, but with free shipping, the difference might be much smaller.
  • CrashisterrifiedCrashisterrified Posts: 1 New Member
    Alright I have tried for 2 and a half hours to try and fix this problem BUT

My twin helped me get the Hospital Overhaul mod which allows for surrogate pregnancy, I did all the right steps got a surrogate mom for my sim (Who I don't know if it makes a difference but she's paparazzi) and everything was going good til second tri, suddenly it didn't let me contact the pregnant sim, and everytime I invited her over she wouldn't show up, okay cool so I reset the game, she disappeared from my sims friend list, okay weird, so I checked every sim in town thinking she deleted, she was still there but not my Sims friend, I invited her to my house and finally she came, got her to be my sims friend again through cheats, she's still pregnant but it won't register as pregnant, she has no moodlets, no feeling stomach, there is no option for my sim or her to brag about pregnancy (I saved. Cheated for her to be in my family) she's still 2nd tri and has no moodlets, I read that if you reset the sim then it should fix the problem, so I reset her and she turned into a completely different Sim, am I missing something? Any way to fix this? I've been trying to get a male sim to donate 🐸🐸🐸🐸 the whole day and don't want that to go to waste for this ;~;

(I forgot to mention but other issues I've had was it took her a few days to even find out she was pregnant, and when I tried to save the sim to try again I found that very few clothes will actually work for her.)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2020
    @Crashisterrified - This is not a good forum to discuss that mod due to the adult nature of some of what it does, ModTheSims (MTS) might have been a better choice for discussion, and the mod not going to work properly on current patch levels. I will send a PM explaining a bit more to take this subject off the public channel (and a moderator may come along and delete these two posts).
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @puzzlezaddict
    *BASE_PRICE: [+1009]
    CABLE: None
    CAS: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mini-iTX Gaming Case White w/ Tempered Glass Window
    CC: None
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz [4.4GHz Turbo] 8 Cores/ 16 Threads 36MB Cache 65W Processor
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    ENGRAVING: None
    FAN: CyberPowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 120mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate
    FREEBIE_CU: None
    HDD: 1TB WD Blue SN550 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 2400/1950 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 410/405k (Single Drive)
    HDD2: None
    HEADSET: None
    KEYBOARD: None [-5]
    MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3200MHz Dual Channel Memory [+30] (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
    MICROPHONE: None
    MONITOR: 23.8" ASUS VA24EHE 1920 x 1080 (FHD) IPS , 5ms, 75Hz gaming monitor with G-SYNC Compatible, Adaptive Sync [+119] (Single Monitor)
    MOPAD: None
    MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK B550M-ITX/ac Mini-ITX w/ WiFi, RGB, GbT LAN, 1 PCIe x16, 4 SATA3, 1 M.2 SATA/PCIe
    MOUSE: None [-3]
    NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - EVGA 600Watts 80 Plus Gold high-efficient Power Supply [+10]
    PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
    PROMOSALE1: CyberPowerPC FPS Gaming Mouse Pad [+0]
    RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 3 to 4 Weeks
    SERVICE: 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    SPEAKERS: Creative Pebble Plus 2.0 USB Speakers [+20] (White)
    USBHD: None
    USBX: None
    VIDEO: GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB GDDR6 (Turing) [VR Ready] (Single Card)
    WARRANTY: PREMIUM WARRANTY: Standard 1 Year Parts WARRANTY + ONE (1) YEAR SHIPPING [+19]
    WTV: None
    _PRICE: (+1218)

Here are the options I changed for this PC, the shipping is unfortunately $125, so I can see what your other option is. I was going to get the 23.8" ASUS VA24EHE 1920 x 1080 (FHD) IPS , 5ms, 75Hz gaming monitor with G-SYNC Compatible, Adaptive Sync [+119] (Single Monitor).
    @LizzyBee Whatever you choose, you can save a bit of money, and maybe more than a bit once you factor in shipping, by getting the monitor separately. It's $109 on a few different sites, and in stock (with free shipping) here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1545192-REG/asus_va24ehe_23_8_wide_16_9_ips.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3OHu2OS06wIVwiCtBh0rWwB2EAQYAyABEgIh8_D_BwE

For the PC itself, have a look at this configuration, which is currently $1,067 without a monitor or extended warranty:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1MR9QB

I chose 16 GB 3000 MHz RAM because it's $70 cheaper than getting 3200 MHz RAM, at least with the deal that's valid today. Cyberpower cycles through a number of deals, some of which you may not care about, e.g. the $50 AmEx gift card or the free 500 GB SSD if you buy a mechanical hard drive. (The SSD in this build and the one you're considering is faster, and larger, so no need for two drives.) The processor would run a little faster with the faster memory, but the difference would be small, and it wouldn't affect Sims 3 in any noticeable way. If you decide the RAM is too slow in for years or so, you'll be able to upgrade to something a lot faster than 3200 MHz anyway, and probably fairly cheaply too.

The other important point is that it has a higher quality motherboard, both in terms of manufacturer and the category of board: X570 has more features and supports overclocking; B550 does not.

This particular configuration says shipping is free, although be sure to double-check.
    @puzzlezaddict
    Thanks for you help! This helps me save money because the shipping is free! And thanks for finding me one with a better quality motherboard. Now I just wish the monitor was white because I like the look of a white PC and I found a keyboard and mouse that I like in white, i did a white one but not sure about what the differences mean I guess... i can send a link to the comparison
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/ASUS_VA24EHE_vs_ASUS_VZ239H-W/BHitems/1545192-REG_1353356-REG
    I am nervous to buy it, it will be my very first desktop of my own! it is exciting though too.
    @LizzyBee The white monitor is a little smaller than the other, but there's no good reason it's so much more expensive. The black version has a higher refresh rate and uses adaptive sync, which may already work with Nvidia cards (or not; not all models do), plus a higher contrast ratio. If you really like the white one, there's nothing wrong with it, I just don't think it's worth $30 more.

I know how nerve-wracking it can be to actually make the decision and buy a computer, especially your first one. It's a great feeling too though, especially when you have everything set up. I hope it's everything you want it to be.
    @puzzlezaddict I might as well not spend $30 more, and I will just get the black one.
    I really appreciate all your help! Thanks so much! I will order it today! :D
  • Georgia_peachGeorgia_peach Posts: 2 New Member
    Unknown Error every time I try to open the game... I've tried everything. I'm at my wit's end with this.
    edited August 2020
    Unknown Error every time I try to open the game... I've tried everything. I'm at my wit's end with this.
    Hi, we can certainly try to assist with that but please understand that this isn't EA's tech support. We are your fellow players trying to be helpful where we can.

There can be several reasons for the Unknown Error. Are you working with the Windows version of the game or Mac and how was it obtained/installed? If you have Expansion/Stuff Packs installed, then which ones? Has it ever worked correctly on your current computer?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • seriouscashxseriouscashx Posts: 3 New Member
    [b]PLEASE HELP[/b]

so about 2 years ago I got the sims 3 and the sims 3 University and I loved it so much but both discs got accidently given away as I believed since I had them downloaded I didnt need it but everytime I attempted to play it it said please insert the disks. I did some research and it said if you use and expansion packmstuff pack and have the disk in your computer it should let you play it. But now I have finally found an expansion pack so that I could put that disk in and continue playing it but when I went to install it (it's Late Night BTW) it said "This product requires an installed copy of The Sims 3. Please install The Sims 3 before installing this product." So I thought that's weird so I went to where the sims 3 is downloaded on my computer and clicked on it and it said "Unable to start. Please reinstall the base game" does anyone know why this is? Is there anyway to fix this?
    [quote="seriouscashx;c-17637351"][b]PLEASE HELP[/b]

so about 2 years ago I got the sims 3 and the sims 3 University and I loved it so much but both discs got accidently given away as I believed since I had them downloaded I didnt need it but everytime I attempted to play it it said please insert the disks. I did some research and it said if you use and expansion packmstuff pack and have the disk in your computer it should let you play it. But now I have finally found an expansion pack so that I could put that disk in and continue playing it but when I went to install it (it's Late Night BTW) it said "This product requires an installed copy of The Sims 3. Please install The Sims 3 before installing this product." So I thought that's weird so I went to where the sims 3 is downloaded on my computer and clicked on it and it said "Unable to start. Please reinstall the base game" does anyone know why this is? Is there anyway to fix this?[/quote]

also if this helps I have a Lenovo 100 ideapad and it has windows 10
    edited September 2020
    @seriouscashx - Afraid I don't see how Late Night would have helped here. It's the last-released EP or SP disc that needs to be in the tray in order to play on disc installs, and LN was earlier than Uni. So then unless it was your plan to uninstall Uni, that disc would still have been required.

If the base game and these EPs were registered to you either by way of the older TS3 site or through Origin using an account with exactly the same email address/credentials, meaning also that you are/were their original owner and the codes were not used by anyone else, then you would have the rights to the digital version of the game to be installed by way of Origin at no extra charge -- meaning uninstall the disc versions and install the Origin ones, in most cases. If someone else has registered the game/packs or you were never the original owner, I'm afraid the solution would probably be that you would have to buy the game and its packs again. That can be done through Origin or Steam for those who do not want or need to use discs again.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    [quote="igazor;c-17637477"]@seriouscashx - Afraid I don't see how Late Night would have helped here. It's the last-released EP or SP disc that needs to be in the tray in order to play on disc installs, and LN was earlier than Uni. So the unless it was your plan to uninstall Uni, that disc would still have been required.

If the base game and these EPs were registered to you either by way of the older TS3 site or through Origin using an account with exactly the same email address/credentials, meaning also that you are/were their original owner and the codes were not used by anyone else, then you would have the rights to the digital version of the game to be installed by way of Origin at no extra charge -- meaning uninstall the disc versions and install the Origin ones, in most cases. If someone else has registered the game/packs or you were never the original owner, I'm afraid the solution would probably be that you would have to buy the game and its packs again. That can be done through Origin or Steam for those who do not want or need to use discs again.[/quote]

thank you for explaining that makes sense now I'm planning on purchasing the game again since i never registered any account or anything but thanks
  • Fallen535Fallen535 Posts: 4 New Member
    I just bought an awesome PC (obviously with Windows 10) and I wanted to see if TS3 will work on it. On my previous computer with Win 7 it had work without any problems until its first breakdown (quite a long story). When I first double clicked on TS3 icon it said I have to install some .net framework 3,5 as I did. Now when I try to run the game it does nothing. Not even a black screen. I hope someone can help me. Please note that it's a clean PC, without any saved games and previous op systems.
    @Fallen535 - Unless something has changed very recently, .NET 3.5 should already be included in Win 10 but it often needs to be activated (different from installing, although it might look about the same while the activation is running). This is done, or can be, from the "Programs and Features" control panel, under "Turn Windows Features on and Off." (there's a few ways to get there, but this isn't the newer lighter weight Apps interface)

Is this the step you have done and is the checkbox next to .NET 3.5 now a solid black square, meaning partially checked off?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Leviosa1443Leviosa1443 Posts: 13 New Member
    Im having a issue with celebrities system in sims 3 (with nrass SP mod)

There is way too many celebrities in the game and its too easy to become one how can i fix this?
  • Fallen535Fallen535 Posts: 4 New Member
    Yes, I checked it's enabled. I have some expansions for TS3, does it matter? I don't really wanna unistall them all just to check...
    @Fallen535 - So TS3 has never successfully launched on this machine? I'm going to suggest a cross-post together with a full dxdiag report, that they are going to ask you for anyway, over on the TS3 board at AHQ. Not because I think your new PC is any less awesome than you say it is, but there might be a DirectX or device driver issue that those helping out over there are better equipped to assist with.

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top