Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why all the Negativity?

Comments

• FlapFlap Posts: 200 Member
    My biggest concern about all the negativity on this forum is about how mentally harsh it is to Maxis team follow and to stay on touch with the community here. And I'm not saying there's someone to blame for it - it is fair that simmers complain and discuss and praise.

I just wanted the community to acknowledge that any praise or blame to the team it is multiplied because of internet and its multitude of voices. And the practical product of it is that there is no real dialogue between players and devs. :/
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020
    Flap wrote: »
    My biggest concern about all the negativity on this forum is about how mentally harsh it is to Maxis team follow and to stay on touch with the community here. And I'm not saying there's someone to blame for it - it is fair that simmers complain and discuss and praise.

I just wanted the community to acknowledge that any praise or blame to the team it is multiplied because of internet and its multitude of voices. And the practical product of it is that there is no real dialogue between players and devs. :/
    They are ok with constructive feedback ex bug reports that keep it game related. It is just comments like they don't care about the community, they only care about money, they hate you, or they are lazy they don't appreciate which I have seen by multiple Simmers that praise and blame the game itself. Like I told them I joined Twitch to see if the rumor "They hate Simmers" which was spread by a fan site was true or not visiting a non Sims stream of theirs and that is how I found out about that site and met people along the way including a Twitch staff that plays AC too. It is when it becomes personal towards Gurus or the players the problem of negativity arises.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited August 2020
    Flap wrote: »

I think it is more mentally harsh on Twitch, Twitter, Reddit and Facebook actually. At least Gurus can take a break from here. But those other social networks, they can't ignore the negativity of a split community and Romeo and Juliet/West Side Story fighting. I feel bad for the battle ground they have to deal with the childish quarrels there. It is like dealing with their children so even at work they have to raise "kids" which aren't always kids. They just never got taught basic communication skills. I think a lot of lost in translation happens within the Sims community both by native and non-native speakers. Believe me, I have had to deal with the sly Southern insults before. Thankfully EnglishSimmer covered that with a British and Southern sayings article. Just dealing with trolls, I feel sorry for the Gurus dealing with Stuart from MadTV. They are treated like rock stars and that alone can get exhausting on them when they are just normal gamers who just happened to work in their passion field.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Last time I checked, this was a free country where people are entitled to express their opinions. I would think that includes opinions about the games we play but it seems that the Sims 4 is a totalitarian country. I embrace all opinions be they negative or positive If someone disagrees with me, it does not affect me, their opinion is valid to them and it contributes to the understanding of the situation at hand. I don't think it detracts from the value of the game at all. If it is affecting your overall mood in relation to the game, then you should question your fragility and your need to censor differing opinions.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Last time I checked, this was a free country where people are entitled to express their opinions. I would think that includes opinions about the games we play but it seems that the Sims 4 is a totalitarian country. I embrace all opinions be they negative or positive If someone disagrees with me, it does not affect me, their opinion is valid to them and it contributes to the understanding of the situation at hand. I don't think it detracts from the value of the game at all. If it is affecting your overall mood in relation to the game, then you should question your fragility and your need to censor differing opinions.

It doesn't sound like you've embraced all the opinions. That last sentence.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

I never said people couldn't express their opinions, I said I was sick of people being rude about their opinions, such as insulting others for their opinion or driving a positivity thread off the rails by saying things such as "Ppl who like Sims 4 are either lying or dumb" and similar things. I believe this was my first sentence in the original post:
    I'm not here to stop you from giving constructive criticism and complaining about lackluster packs, that's not the purpose of this thread.
    The issue is that people are not being constructive, and they're invading threads where the people who actually do enjoy things about The Sims 4 go to talk about it with the hopes of not being interrupted by insults.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    It was never about not being allowed to voice opinions. Complaining does not necessarily equal expressing an informed opinion, and the opposite is also true. Though it seems common practice to hide one's gall behind the defense 'I'm just voicing my opinion and I'm allowed that'.

Yeah, that much is being perceived by some of us.

And it is also about being respectful of the intended spirit of a thread - a small gesture, really, that some seem to struggle to find it within themselves to show, because they appear to have this conviction that their aforementioned gall may rightfully be plastered everywhere under said excuse.

This behavior is nothing if not blatant disregard of other people. Which is upsetting, naturally, and therefore is regularly addressed (rightly so, if you ask me).

I'm fairly certain that this is not meant as a one-way community, meaning we all need to make room for everybody. And yes, that does means showing consideration. And taking care to deliver a non-offensive constructive message regardless of its nature. It's very possible indeed to disagree in a civilized and friendly manner without being condescending.

Nobody is perfect, so we are all bound to be lacking in our communication at some point or another. We'll just have to take a reminder then and do better next time.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Whether opinions are negative or positive it is still considered feedback if it pertains to the game at hand even at the devs if it is done in an tasteful manner. As long as this game remains in an productive cycle there is going to be criticism as well as praise. I myself feel Sims 4 could have been better than what it is but that is my opinion and I stand behind it for all said it is about me and what I want and what each person wants.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited August 2020
    This thread is destined for closure. Just like your previous one on the same topic.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/961924/why-all-the-rudeness-to-eachother/p1

So a thread that discusses the downside of negativity in the forums will get closed, but threads calling everyone racist get to ramble on here instead of the the off-topic threads. This is typical 2020 mindset.

Normally I stick to the fun threads, like show your last screen shot or what happened in your game today for this reason. I think I will head back there now LOL
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
    edited August 2020
    This thread is destined for closure. Just like your previous one on the same topic.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/961924/why-all-the-rudeness-to-eachother/p1

So a thread that discusses the downside of negativity in the forums will get closed, but threads calling everyone racist get to ramble on here instead of the the off-topic threads. This is typical 2020 mindset.

Normally I stick to the fun threads, like show your last screen shot or what happened in your game today for this reason. I think I will head back there now LOL
    Racism isn't allowed period.

"DON'TS TREATED WITH ZERO-TOLERANCE

These are more serious don'ts. That means if you do something from this list, we might ban you right away.
    Discriminate. That means no sexism, racism etc."

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/979770/forum-rules-guidelines#latest

Gurus come from different countries, so yes tearing down who they are as people saying that they are lesser than anyone else because of the color of their skin is not only wrong it is inhumane. Might be easy to do because some people only know their SimGurus names rather than just who they are as people. So yes I have seen racism and sexism both shared and that goes beyond negative, it is just pure toxic behavior and without any sense of humanity. I feel sorry for anyone who is like that because that is the lowest of low of any human being and makes me think they feel really insecure about themselves to go that low.

So yes I like that a range of emotions and diversity exist because if everything was the same and no emotions exist, I might as well be an irobot vacuum cleaner. I'm not a Sim or a robot, so forcing anyone to be well I guess Sims franchise has finally reached uncanny valley where there isn't a difference between Sims and Simmers anymore.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    Why is there so much negativity now days? that is because humanity is going mad, heck look at all the drama that is happening IRL. LOL!
    Clowns are dancing/ jumping off cliffs now a days, the worlds becoming a circus I tell ye!
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Clowns are dancing/ jumping off cliffs now a days, the worlds becoming a circus I tell ye!

The world is a circus. The only thing that’s missing is the circus band.
    edited August 2020
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Whether opinions are negative or positive it is still considered feedback if it pertains to the game at hand even at the devs if it is done in an tasteful manner. As long as this game remains in an productive cycle there is going to be criticism as well as praise. I myself feel Sims 4 could have been better than what it is but that is my opinion and I stand behind it for all said it is about me and what I want and what each person wants.

Agreed. Also, The Sims 4 is not any different than other games in that aspect. Every new iteration of any game title is supposedly an improvement of the previous with something new thrown in as well. I think that is the very basic recipe for making a game series.

And on that same note, we mustn't forget that there is a Feedback forum for us all to use, instead of just going around in negative circles here in General Discussion:

TS4 Feedback

edited August 2020
    Edit..intended post below this one.
    edited August 2020
    Scobre wrote: »

Racism isn't allowed period.

"DON'TS TREATED WITH ZERO-TOLERANCE

These are more serious don'ts. That means if you do something from this list, we might ban you right away.
    Discriminate. That means no sexism, racism etc."

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/979770/forum-rules-guidelines#latest

Gurus come from different countries, so yes tearing down who they are as people saying that they are lesser than anyone else because of the color of their skin is not only wrong it is inhumane. Might be easy to do because some people only know their SimGurus names rather than just who they are as people. So yes I have seen racism and sexism both shared and that goes beyond negative, it is just pure toxic behavior and without any sense of humanity. I feel sorry for anyone who is like that because that is the lowest of low of any human being and makes me think they feel really insecure about themselves to go that low.

So yes I like that a range of emotions and diversity exist because if everything was the same and no emotions exist, I might as well be an irobot vacuum cleaner. I'm not a Sim or a robot, so forcing anyone to be well I guess Sims franchise has finally reached uncanny valley where there isn't a difference between Sims and Simmers anymore.

Any kind of discrimination is unacceptable. However, nowadays it has also become a trend to blatantly accuse others of discrimination where there was none, which in my opinion, is just as inappropriate.

Indeed we are diverse and emotional beings, but as individuals we should be able to hold back and harness our emotions and ask ourselves and others why we feel so affected by a particular situation.

The media serves as a catalyst for action and activism, so naturally many folks are influenced by what happens on the news and by what lives on the internet: there’s an overwhelming amount of information that is being extremely sensationalized due to the competing nature of media:
    This channel said it first, but that channel has the juiciest information and according to the channel over there the circumstances are actually worse than what we initially thought: in short, everybody hates each other and the world is at end.

Obviously this kind of hype feeds into a herd mentality causing extreme anxiety in those who are sensitive to external stimuli. They will scream the loudest and cry the hardest, because somehow something told them to do so.
    Folks are encouraged to feel a certain way since this is what keeps the system going. Everything is set up to play with our emotional well-being. It’s where we are weakest. We’re quicker to act upon our emotions than anything else, especially when our basic needs are covered.

Being discriminated or being unrightfully accused of discrimination is not right . Both extremes aren’t healthy.
    Despite our opinions, it can be more helpful to take a neutral stance and get a clear overview of the circumstances. And sometimes we find out that it’s best to stop shouting and instead, change direction and walk a different path. One that suits us better individually.
    And hey, sometimes it turns out things aren’t so bad after all.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member

Since when does the entirety of the world revolve around America and their linear thought process of what constitutes as 'free speech'. Yes, every country does have some degree of free speech, even those that have adopted more of a Totarilian stance. It is repressed to some degree, yes, but you are free to say whatever you want. The actions from what you say, however, are another thing. Just because you have the freedom to say whatever you want, does not mean that you are immune to the consequences of your words. Just like you have the freedom to speak, as do other people. They also have the freedom to ignore what you are saying.

No one is suppressing any opinions nor is anyone trying to ignite an argument. The Sims community as a whole is probably one of the more toxic places I have ever been. Reddit, these forums, Twitter. They are all toxic, all believe they are right, and quick to downvote or silence you.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »

Agreed. Also, The Sims 4 is not any different than other games in that aspect. Every new iteration of any game title is supposedly an improvement of the previous with something new thrown in as well. I think that is the very basic recipe for making a game series.

And on that same note, we mustn't forget that there is a Feedback forum for us all to use, instead of just going around in negative circles here in General Discussion:

TS4 Feedback

For some reason Feedback is seen as the place where threads go to die. Every since the help section was closed these threads have been showing up in general discussion and the packs discussion. I really miss the help forum because that's the first place I'd check if I was having a problem. Now those posts are spread out everywhere. And some see it as an opportunity to further their cause instead of trying to offer helpful solutions.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited August 2020
    The quote is never argue with an 🌺🌺🌺🌺.

Also
    "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain.

Off topic again but none of us appear to be right on Mark Twain.

A post shared on Facebook claims that American writer Mark Twain said, “Never argue with a f o o l. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” There is no record of Twain ever saying or writing this quote. It may be a variation of an expression quoted in an 1878 New York newspaper.

However, The Daily Caller found no evidence that Twain ever wrote the statement attributed to him in the Facebook post. The saying does not appear in those books, or any of his other works.

“That is yet another good one he did not say,” Winthrop University english professor John Bird told The Caller via email.

https://checkyourfact.com/2019/08/30/fact-check-mark-twain-never-argue-fool-onlookers-difference/ :DB)

Sorry: I'm just bored in Lockdown and getting a bit OCD these days. Comes of having been a Reference Librarian! <3

We need a bit more news about the new Games pack Maxis.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Thanks for the correction. Props to whoever came up with it.

We'll probably hear something about the GP tomorrow. Leading to even more negativity. 😄
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

TS4 Feedback

This where we part on our ideologies and where you will get different ideas especially improvements over previous versions. I played an lot of franchises where with each version there was truly improvements but with those improvements old and new features was incorporated together but it was not the same with Sims 4, it was stripped of all features and an old feature that was dropped since Sims 3 was loading screens and an loading screen opening up the game does not count for me as when the game was opened there were hardly any. Adding back loading screens for me is not an improvement it is regression. I am wondering how restricting Apts to one location is an improvement and on top of it one can't even build apts from scratch as one could with Sims 2. How is it an improvement that I cannot make my own neighborhoods and add my own lots which in Sims 4 is now EA/Maxis way of dangling an carrot and all tools was available to the end user in Sims 3. Imo, most of the packs in Sims 4 are nothing more that gimped versions of previous versions where I was able to do more and now it is less. Sure Sims 4 may run and look more like an art show or candy for the eyes but where is the real potential? Creativity in Sims 4 has taken an big hit and I cannot possibly give kudos to EA/Maxis instead of tweaking what they produce to ensure that I can get the most out of this game as they did not tweak prior versions and Sims 4 is developing it's own problems. I do not hate Sims 4 I just do not feel the same for it as others do. :(
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Thanks for the correction. Props to whoever came up with it.

We'll probably hear something about the GP tomorrow. Leading to even more negativity. 😄

Tomorrow really? Oh that's great. Let's cross our fingers :)

I never said people couldn't express their opinions, I said I was sick of people being rude about their opinions, such as insulting others for their opinion or driving a positivity thread off the rails by saying things such as "Ppl who like Sims 4 are either lying or dumb" and similar things. I believe this was my first sentence in the original post:
    I'm not here to stop you from giving constructive criticism and complaining about lackluster packs, that's not the purpose of this thread.
    The issue is that people are not being constructive, and they're invading threads where the people who actually do enjoy things about The Sims 4 go to talk about it with the hopes of not being interrupted by insults.

Well, I agree that people shouldn't be rude about it.
    It was never about not being allowed to voice opinions. Complaining does not necessarily equal expressing an informed opinion, and the opposite is also true. Though it seems common practice to hide one's gall behind the defense 'I'm just voicing my opinion and I'm allowed that'.

Yeah, that much is being perceived by some of us.

And it is also about being respectful of the intended spirit of a thread - a small gesture, really, that some seem to struggle to find it within themselves to show, because they appear to have this conviction that their aforementioned gall may rightfully be plastered everywhere under said excuse.

This behavior is nothing if not blatant disregard of other people. Which is upsetting, naturally, and therefore is regularly addressed (rightly so, if you ask me).

I'm fairly certain that this is not meant as a one-way community, meaning we all need to make room for everybody. And yes, that does means showing consideration. And taking care to deliver a non-offensive constructive message regardless of its nature. It's very possible indeed to disagree in a civilized and friendly manner without being condescending.

Nobody is perfect, so we are all bound to be lacking in our communication at some point or another. We'll just have to take a reminder then and do better next time.

I appreciate your insightful post. I, myself choose to abstain from commenting on threads that only ask for one type of response unless it is one that I share. I , however, don't react negatively to someone who chooses to ignore the request and express an opposing opinion.
    @Goldmoldar Just think of all that you can't do as new features :D

Jokes aside, if the game really was intended as an online one, as is said, then that might explain why there is less world-customizability than in previous games. In addition to this, Sims 4 seems more like an experimental project than anything else. This iteration at least provides the developers with a lot of feedback regarding what players like and don't like in a Sims game. It can be seen as serving as a great tool. I think much is learned from the Sims 4 experience by all involved.

If it is not rude but stems from a passionate need to purge one's frustration, I am interested in what they have to say. I also try to refrain from judging whether or not a post is actually rude. We can often misread written communication unless it is blatantly obvious such as 'you are an idiot', lol, which I am expecting someone to post pretty soon.