Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No phone calls?

I have a sim with the Irresistible trait and she has never received one phone call ever. Any time I have played a sim with this trait before, I can't shut their phone up! However, I have played this sim since birth and not once has her phone ever rang! Is my save corrupted or ? I have no idea what is causing this. I have tried moving her out and back in, demolished her house and put it back, and still nothing. Has anyone ever had this problem before?

Comments

• MsDaisyMsDaisy Posts: 22 Member
    Hm... does she any friends? Nothing like that ever happened to me, my irresistible sims receive calls all the time (sometimes is very annoying) but have you tried removing and then give her the trait again? I think that might help.
  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Yes, she has friends. I moved her out, saved a copy to my bin, deleted her, and moved the copy back in. Tried demolishing her lot and then putting the copy lot back. I changed her traits around and back again but still nothing. I've never had this happen before, especially with the Irresistible trait. So weird.
  • Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Hmm, do you have Into the Future? And if so, do you use the Opportunity Fix mod? Because I found that without that mod ITF breaks not just opportunities once you go to the future and return once, but also can break receiving non-opportunity calls.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Hmm, do you have Into the Future? And if so, do you use the Opportunity Fix mod? Because I found that without that mod ITF breaks not just opportunities once you go to the future and return once, but also can break receiving non-opportunity calls.

I do have ITF and use it but have never heard of the Opportunity Fix mod. I did travel to the future but not with her, just her parents before she was born. I've been playing with ITF for awhile though and this has never happened. Where can I find this mod, I want to try and see if that helps, thanks <3
  • TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,716 Member
    You can find the Opportunity phone call fix here. :smile:
    Turjan wrote: »
    You can find the Opportunity phone call fix here. :smile:

Thank you so much! <3
    Yeah, ITF breaks opportunity calls. And by extension seems to break normal phone calls too when you return from the future. You might have noticed the phone ringing, your sim answering it angrily, then hanging up. This is why. They only break once you return from the future though. Hopefully this helps you.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
    Ok, I added the mod but it didn't work :( I do get the opportunity thingy popping up but not through the phone and still no phone calls. Thank you for the help, though. I guess I'll just have to go without calls. It's so weird, though. I've been playing with ITF for quite awhile and never had this problem before.
    Actually, most opportunities (for skill and celebrity status at least) do come through the phone. They'll still pop up if the sim is sleeping and doesn't answer the phone, so I'd assume in that case it was a text message that gets checked in the morning.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm almost positive this can't be it since the sim has already been replaced by a bin copy. But if opportunity messages are now getting through while the sim's phone is not ringing, is it at all possible that the phone has been put into silence mode (ringer off)?

If you have NRaas DebugEnabler installed, does the Create Incoming Cellphone Call generate anything for this sim? Or any other sim in the game, I've never actually used this command but seems like it is there to test exactly these kinds of things.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    I'm almost positive this can't be it since the sim has already been replaced by a bin copy. But if opportunity messages are now getting through while the sim's phone is not ringing, is it at all possible that the phone has been put into silence mode (ringer off)?

If you have NRaas DebugEnabler installed, does the Create Incoming Cellphone Call generate anything for this sim? Or any other sim in the game, I've never actually used this command but seems like it is there to test exactly these kinds of things.

I wasn't having any trouble with Opportunities popping up, apologies, I should have been more clear on that. I'm getting opportunities just fine, just no phone calls. It doesn't even ring. I checked if the phone was silenced 4948949857 times, lol, because I thought that might be it but nope. Phone not silenced. I tried changing the ringtone hoping that might trigger it to ring but nope. I do not have DebugEnabler (I use Story Progression, Error Trap, Overwatch, and Traveler) but am on my way to try that now! Thank you! I will let you know if it works or not <3

edited August 2020
    DebugEnabler, for those not familiar, is one of the mods somewhat like MasterController that doesn't actually do anything to or for the game by just being present other than open up menus of commands that wouldn't otherwise be reachable. In the case of DE, these are commands that, with a small number of exceptions (e.g., Fix Homeworld and Fix Invisible Sims), EA left in the game with no way for non-developers to get to them.

Some of DE's commands should never really be used because they can harm the game or no one honestly has any idea what they really do, but forcing a phone to ring for testing purposes is not likely to be that damaging. The mod is also easily removable after using it for something in particular if the player finds the extra menus under NRaas > DE distracting, but some of them that we know are safe to use are actually very helpful.

The reason we all keep harping on the phone and its for some reason being in silent mode is that the phone is the way most opportunities arrive. When a sim does not answer the phone, either on purpose because they are busy doing something else (like sleeping, or I don't know, maybe getting married or having a baby, or anything else they don't want disturbed) or they have it switched off, at least half of the time the message comes across on the screen a short while later. That is where we believe the opportunities you are seeing are coming through, but we don't yet know why the phone isn't ringing in the first place. And we never know what messages, from trivial ones like wrong numbers, date offers or a friend who wants to chat, and you missed a party you never wanted to go to anyway, up through a life-changing opp, get lost because not all of them come through as messages if the phone isn't answered.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ok, I tried it and "Phone call not answered" popped up? She has a husband now and the same thing happened with him.
    To be honest, as I mentioned, I'm not really sure what that command is meant to do exactly (besides make a ringing sound somewhere), but I thought an actual random call should be generated. I will test it out later, when I can.

But in the meantime, do you have any mods from non-NRaas sources other than the opportunity one just mentioned above? Possibly one of them is getting in the way for this one sim, even if it doesn't appear to have anything to do with phones. To test that, you would have to try a test run with all non-NRaas mods removed and the script cache cleared.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Ok, non Nrass mods are:

12 hr pregnancy no leave
    no green hair
    Prom every 3 days
    All Lifetime rewards 5 pts
    Ambitions hat hider
    Blue Skies and Sunshine lighting
    Body panel sliders
    Extra skin slots
    Clean house for everyone
    Sim height slider
    Super hamper ambitions
    WA hat hider
    Klepto tweaks
    Writing skill increaser

I know one of these borked the spell book stand but I'm not sure which. Also, I have been playing with all of these for quite some time and did not have a problem with the phone until this save. Also, before starting my game this time, I cleaned my save of Oasis Landing and Travel data to see if that might help as well. I'm going to play for a bit and see if it works itself out now. I will let you know. I appreciate your help so much @igazor And THANK YOU @Faerie197 and @Turjan for the opportunity mod, I love it (I like doing the opportunities so even more is awesome)!

@StephSteb it's no problem. Wasn't sure if you had been aware that ITF breaks opportunities, which can also break phone calls. So I thought I'd mention it. I think what happens is once you go to the future and return the game forgets to toggle the base world's opportunities back on instead of Oasis Landing ones. And since you're not in Oasis Landing you can't get those opportunities. But it still keeps trying to the point no other phone traffic gets through.

I could be wrong on this though.
    @Faerie197 I was not aware of that, actually. It makes sense, though. I'm going to see if clearing all of the OL and travel data worked. (I just opened my game and tested the debug enabler so I'm going to play it for a bit and see). This game, I swear :s
    Good luck. The game is amazing, but all the various EP add so many additional systems that it's inevitable that something breaks somewhere.
    Still no phone calls :/ I'm starting a new save and I'll see what happens.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    I think what happens is once you go to the future and return the game forgets to toggle the base world's opportunities back on instead of Oasis Landing ones. And since you're not in Oasis Landing you can't get those opportunities. But it still keeps trying to the point no other phone traffic gets through.

I could be wrong on this though.

I don't think it has anything to do with actually traveling to the future. My sims stopped getting opportunities before I even had ITF. I think it was the ITF update that broke them.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    I hate my telephone in real life, so whatever happened with the ITF update, for me (and as far as I'm concerned...only me); was a godsend. At least my sim won't have to keep answering stupid date calls.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Ok, on my new save my sim is getting phone calls. I started the new save to check and shortly after my old no phone calls save borked out when she had twins. She was a 4th generation from my founder so I was surprised the save went THAT long (normally it borks out on the third gen). So, it could have been a number of things that messed up the phone calls but I'm so glad they are working again. Thanks everyone for your help <3