Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Island Paradise worth getting 2020?

So I’ve recently been getting back into playing sims 3 more and still enjoy it after a few years break. Island paradise is the only EP I don’t own that I would be interested in getting, but I know it broke the game for a lot of players at the time. Is this still an issue now? Are there mods that make the game more stable? I don’t want to buy something only to find that it screws up my game, so I’m thankful for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Yes it's worth it. only problem with it is the world its self, which is fixed using ellacharmed's fixes

I always use custom worlds anyway.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    McTosh wrote: »
    Yes it's worth it. only problem with it is the world its self, which is fixed using ellacharmed's fixes

Oh, so unless I play with the actual world, the game is fine without extra mods? I’m also more of a custom world fan, so that isn’t necessarily a big problem.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Rebbilina wrote: »
    Oh, so unless I play with the actual world, the game is fine without extra mods? I’m also more of a custom world fan, so that isn’t necessarily a big problem.

You can build Dive Lots on any world, although water depth/quality comes into play.

You can also tie the Dive Lot theme into the quality of water available ...
    Like an underwater junkyard to explore in Bridgeport. :D

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Rebbilina wrote: »
    McTosh wrote: »

Like all default worlds it has routing issues, it's particularly bad in Isla
    But other than that, no there's no problems with anything else :)
    I've not had any anyway
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • Options
    RebbilinaRebbilina Posts: 377 Member
    Thanks! I'll be on the lookout for a sale then
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I agree with the others. I don't play the world that came with IP, but there are many nice custom worlds with diving spots and lots of water to use the boats on. It's a fun EP! :)
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @Rebbilina

IP is one of my most favorite worlds because I love to send my sims houseboat around the whole map and then stop for a while at various dive stops along the way. There at routing issues as other players have pointed out however thankfully I never experienced that many like other players did. If you are willing to spend a little time sorting out the routing issues the world is very playable. I followed most of @Ciane's advice on the following link (not all) and my IP world is still playable and very enjoyable :) I think ciane also has a save version of the map with the issues already addressed including lot changes that have caused problems so that might be a good option for you.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag

Dawn over the island (I am testing a sky mod here but that is not required for the island to look beautiful-)

Bv02vz4.jpg

I also enjoy custom worlds and with IP installed there are several to choose from however I still love Rflong7's Legacy Island

This is a dusk shot of Legacy Island no sky mod in this one..

zC3Ta0r.jpg

Rflong7's world below:

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8219962
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I think so. I admit that it has been a while since I played, but at the end of 3's lifespan before I played 4 regularly I played using it a fair bit. Houseboats and underwater were fun. I played vanilla, though, and I don't have the room to reinstall today, but if you are playing 3 actively I don't see it being a bad investment.
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I think the world is beautiful and I love all the fun water activities. The main problem with the world is having all the sims you aren't playing trying to move their houseboats around, I think. Just evict the sims and put into the homes on land to solve most of your problems. As @SPARKY1922 mentioned, I read up on all the problem areas and addressed them in a thread that she linked to earlier. (It's also in my siggie.) I also uploaded a couple "save" files of the IP world with changes I made at the start of a fresh game. One has all EPs, SPs, and store content. The other is base game and IP only. So, you can make changes to the world yourself and save that file so you won't have to make changes again, or you download one or both of mine and put them in your saves folder to play the world. OR as mentioned, just don't play in IP and still enjoy all the benefits of the EP in other worlds.
  • Options
    StephStebStephSteb Posts: 2,271 Member
    Definitely! I never play in the world, however, but I can't live without all of the IP stuff. I like custom worlds as well and play them most often, but I have to have the IP stuff!
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    In addition to everything that has already been mentioned, resorts can be built in any world. I enjoy this very much - choosing a style for the resort and building it and improving on it gradually.
  • Options
    Simsalot99Simsalot99 Posts: 100 Member
    It's a beautiful world. I spend a couple minutes moving families inhabiting houseboats to houses before I start and never have any problems.
  • Options
    SqueemotasticSqueemotastic Posts: 25 Member
    I have just replaced my old computer so I haven't yet played in the IP world yet. Even if I don't get around to it anytime soon I'm happy to have it in my game! Favorite honeymoon site: France. (second) Favorite honeymoon activity: windsurfing through town on the beautiful river! The content alone is worth having IP!
  • Options
    HolaheyeHolaheye Posts: 88 Member
    I think it is worth it. I played the fixed version of Isla Paradiso with a couple of Nraas mods and the game ran pretty well. I noticed that Sims sometimes get stuck between two adjacent ports, so you might want to move the households living in houseboats. Even when I don't play in that world, the ability to build and manage resorts is worth it.
  • Options
    SimmerusSimmerus Posts: 7 New Member
    It's quite amazing pack with a beautiful world it comes with and I'd say it's worth getting it even if you would not use the world (I heard it's laggy for many people but strangely I haven't noticed any unusual lag in my save) as there are many great furniture, build items, hairs and clothing included but the feature I like the most is the fact that you can run Hotels/Resorts and you can do that in any world you just need a lot and convert it to a resort as well as become a resort owner after (there are many guides online that you can follow to learn how to do that). Oh and if you live in a world surrounded by water and that has big coves or has islands around there is water transportation which makes it easier to get to places, there's also a water taxi!
  • Options
    MsDaisyMsDaisy Posts: 22 Member
    I think it's worth it because even if you don't play in Isla Paradiso you can still use multiple fun features outside of the world (resorts, windsurf, diving...).
  • Options
    Faerie197Faerie197 Posts: 1,077 Member
    I'd say they all are worth it. The IP world is one of my favorites. Haven't had too many routing issues, but they can occur on some of the beaches.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    It's fine. You are stuck in Isla Paradiso and a handful of custom worlds to get the full experience; even lifeguarding is broken in some worlds (e.g. Sunlit Tides has too shallow of water for people to drown in!). You have to mod out townies turning into mermaids unless you're fine with it, since EA didn't make a toggle. I've heard that resorts are buggy but especially Hobart's Hideout in Isla Paradiso thanks to routing issues. Hope this helps! Boats and houseboats can be annoying and the houseboats in Isla Paradiso are a source of a lot of its problems.

I was mad then but some of the bugs and choices made ended up getting repeated as TS4's biggest shames or things I'm ambivalent about (namely tying gameplay to a specific world again) Or things that are even worse, I hated the radio silence for reported bugs in IP and ITF and even downright denial of them. Still salty about it!

But the dive lots are gorgeous, IP is a beautiful world, I like the activities and more goal-centered things like finding the hidden islands and resorts, all ages got CAS assets, and the build/buy assets are some of my most used ever.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Even if you never use a given expansion's World, they all still have a lot to offer. New cloths, new build/buy items, new skills, new jobs, new Lifetime happiness rewards, and so forth. That alone makes them worth buying.
    Fear not the fae, for they are harmless. Anger not the fae, beware their wraith. Harm not the fae, fear the Faerie Knight.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Faerie197 wrote: »
    Even if you never use a given expansion's World, they all still have a lot to offer. New cloths, new build/buy items, new skills, new jobs, new Lifetime happiness rewards, and so forth. That alone makes them worth buying.

agreed
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    All the expansion packs are worth buying, especially if you get them on sale.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    It's fine. You are stuck in Isla Paradiso and a handful of custom worlds to get the full experience; even lifeguarding is broken in some worlds (e.g. Sunlit Tides has too shallow of water for people to drown in!)

For Sunlit Tides you can try using the terrain tools to lower the depth of the swimming area of the beaches.

• Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    It's fine. You are stuck in Isla Paradiso and a handful of custom worlds to get the full experience; even lifeguarding is broken in some worlds (e.g. Sunlit Tides has too shallow of water for people to drown in!)

For Sunlit Tides you can try using the terrain tools to lower the depth of the swimming area of the beaches.

You really overestimate my CAW skills! (This extends way beyond the beach lots)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

If the beach lot where your life guard works is some distance from.where the sims swim, make note of where the sims swim or should swim. In Edit Town mode, add a lot where they should swim. You get a raised piece of land. Use the terrain tool to lower the land under water level and continue to lower it until it is deep enough for your sims to swim/drown in.

• Options

If the beach lot where your life guard works is some distance from.where the sims swim, make note of where the sims swim or should swim. In Edit Town mode, add a lot where they should swim. You get a raised piece of land. Use the terrain tool to lower the land under water level and continue to lower it until it is deep enough for your sims to swim/drown in.

That's easy. What's not so easy is making it look good and making the slope gentle enough that they can reach the deeper water.