Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ANOTHER Competitor to The Sims 5?!?? People of the Newbery

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I hope this person gets more supporters, and help.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 370 Member
    edited August 2020
    kemowery wrote: »
    I mean, I'm not that excited about Paralives yet because the character style hasn't grown on me and we haven't seen any gameplay, but I can at least look at the videos and say that they have developed some neat design tools.

Paralives doesn't have gameplay either at this time.

I literally said Paralives doesn't have gameplay yet, and that I'm not that excited about it as a result. I know you started this thread to promote the game, and you're all-in on defending it against anyone who says they're skeptical, and I suspect at least part of that is because you think maybe it won't be all "woke" like The Sims, but it seems like in your haste to defend Newbery you didn't actually read what I wrote.

You seem to have a real emotional investment in whether people support this.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    I mean, I'm not that excited about Paralives yet because the character style hasn't grown on me and we haven't seen any gameplay, but I can at least look at the videos and say that they have developed some neat design tools.

I literally said Paralives doesn't have gameplay yet, and that I'm not that excited about it as a result. I know you started this thread to promote the game, and you're all-in on defending it against anyone who says they're skeptical, and I suspect at least part of that is because you think maybe it won't be all "woke" like The Sims, but it seems like in your haste to defend Newbery you didn't actually read what I wrote.

Why are you okay with giving Paralives a pass for not having gameplay, but not this game???

I'm supportive of all the upcoming games. I want all off them to be a success, not just this game. But people are trying to shoot it down before it can even gain some footing. This is why I'm giving it special attention.

At one time some people were going around posting on here that Paralives might be a scam too, so I notified Paralives to be aware of that. I care about that game just as much.

edited August 2020
    I hope this person gets more supporters, and help.

Yeah, me too!

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Online multiplayer mode for up to 6 people will be available.

Game will cost $20.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

Why are you okay with giving Paralives a pass for not having gameplay, but not this game???

I think what @kemowery is saying is Paralives hasn’t shown gameplay but it HAS shown original content being produced. TPON hasn’t shown gameplay and it HASN’T shown original content. Which is what makes them question the legitimacy.
    When you compare the two, you can see “Oh! Paralives might actually be legitimate because other things are being completed.” But if TPON isn’t showing original content or gameplay, it makes one wonder WHAT is being worked on as nothing has been shown to prove something is being worked on.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited August 2020
    I’m exhausted 😂😂 this controversy has outgrown a one-man show. I’m looking forward to seeing this dude’s game.

Also, ::groan:: at every Game Changer and wannabe is trying to get a scoop by covering this game. They saw Plumbella (who I thought I just recently celebrated and applauded for announcing taking a mental health break?) suddenly capitalize on it so they’re all following suit, with the same ol’ “shocked” facial expression superimposed over gameplay screenshots (as they all do in every video). Sometimes outlined in white, but always jaws to the floor.

Like yea, off-topic but the Simmer YouTube preview image is getting old at this point....

Edit: ....as is badgering this poor dude just borrowing pre-existing assets to build a game. Like ok, the assets exist, but I can’t build a game with them, so why hate on him?

Also, they build iPhones with “pre-existing assets” (Samsung), most of our favorite influencers on IG use “pre-existing” graphic design assets (Canva), most popular websites are built using “pre-existing assets” (Wix, Wordpress). When did this become a crime?
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Like yea, off-topic but the Simmer YouTube preview image is getting old at this point....

That’s why I never watch them. They literally all have the same expression on their thumbnail: 😱
    Edit: ....as is badgering this poor dude just borrowing pre-existing assets to build a game. Like ok, the assets exist, but I can’t build a game with them, so why hate on him?

Also, they build iPhones with “pre-existing assets” (Samsung), most of our favorite influencers on IG use “pre-existing” graphic design assets (Canva), most popular websites are built using “pre-existing assets” (Wix, Wordpress). When did this become a crime?
    It’s not a crime. It’s just that we have seen nothing original from this guy. So folks get suspicious.
    What is absolutely not right is that some people get so toxic that they begin to threaten someone who may genuinely be trying to make a life simulator. These people are just as bad as someone targeting others with a scam.
    edited August 2020

I think what @kemowery is saying is Paralives hasn’t shown gameplay but it HAS shown original content being produced. TPON hasn’t shown gameplay and it HASN’T shown original content. Which is what makes them question the legitimacy.
    When you compare the two, you can see “Oh! Paralives might actually be legitimate because other things are being completed.” But if TPON isn’t showing original content or gameplay, it makes one wonder WHAT is being worked on as nothing has been shown to prove something is being worked on.

We just discovered People of the Newbery A FEW DAYS AGO. We knew about Paralives since July 2019. Give People of the Newbery some time.

• gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    I just realised Plumbella posted a video about this game... The building style looks cool, but I'm not so sure about the multiplayer thing. It reminds me of Animal Crossing from what I've seen, but I don't own this game either. I wonder how communication with people from other places will work out. Let's hope we'll receive more information soon enough. Gosh, so many games about to come out, so little time to explore them all!!!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

We just discovered People of the Newbery A FEW DAYS AGO. We knew about Paralives since July 2019. Give People of the Newbery some time.

The developer of Newbery didn't give himself time when he announced his game AND a release date prematurely.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
    edited August 2020
    icmnfrsh wrote: »

The developer of Newbery didn't give himself time when he announced his game AND a release date prematurely.

I had already posted this before but People of the Newbury release date was moved to 2022. Partly because people on Discord said that he needs to give it more time and that they were willing to wait for it longer. So if you give him input, it will help the game to be better because he really does take people's concerns into consideration.

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    I wouldn't say the developer show nothing.He show the create of character.Witg the different tones, and body parts
    I wouldn't say the developer show nothing.He show the create of character.Witg the different tones, and body parts

Also keep in mind that Paralives had been worked on since around September 2018, so it's further along than this game which was only started 7 months ago.

I had already posted this before but People of the Newbury release date was moved to 2022. Partly because people on Discord said that he needs to give it more time and that they were willing to wait for it longer. So if you give him input, it will help the game to be better because he really does take people's concerns into consideration.

A 2022 release date sounds a bit more reasonable, but it's still too early to decide on that. You'd usually have a more solid idea once you know:
    - What you want your final product to look like
    - How the pace of development is going
    - How much work there's left to do, and how much time is needed to finish all that

It's not really enough to throw around whatever date you feel like. I'd find it more believable if he had a structured timetable that shows exactly how he'll achieve important development milestones. The devil is in the details with these things
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    This all looks like standard Unreal demo stuff. Until they come out with more there won't be any way to tell much one way or the other.

With all of the stuff going on with the Epic/Apple/Unreal drama, it's probably a safe idea to stay away from the Epic store and anything associated with it for a while until the dust settles and we see what shakes out. That's the thing about licensed engines, I guess.

A 2022 release date sounds a bit more reasonable, but it's still too early to decide on that. You'd usually have a more solid idea once you know:
    - How much work there's left to do, and how much time is needed to finish all that

It's not really enough to throw around whatever date you feel like. I'd find it more believable if he had a structured timetable that shows exactly how he'll achieve important development milestones. The devil is in the details with these things

You should tell him that yourself. He will listen!

This all looks like standard Unreal demo stuff. Until they come out with more there won't be any way to tell much one way or the other.

With all of the stuff going on with the Epic/Apple/Unreal drama, it's probably a safe idea to stay away from the Epic store and anything associated with it for a while until the dust settles and we see what shakes out. That's the thing about licensed engines, I guess.

I've been speculating that TS5 will be made with the Unreal Engine 4. So if it affects this game on the Mac, it will affect TS5, if made with UE4, as well.

You should tell him that yourself. He will listen!

Got it!

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited August 2020
    It's good he has given it more time now. He probably shouldn't have released anything about the game until he had some unique things for it, not JUST assets that can be bought so that people could tell for sure he's creating something, BUT he's young and he'll learn from experience. And perhaps he needed to. Maybe he can't afford to go any further without getting a fanbase via patreon. A release date should have been on hold I think.

I personally do NOT think he's scamming people. I think he might have taken on more than he can handle but I don't think it's intentional.

I think now that he HAS gone public with the game, he really needs to continue updating people as much and often as he can or people will think he's scamming.

I personally wouldn't put money into this right now, but it's not because I think he's a scammer, it's because I 1) am not sure yet if this will be the game for me, it's too early, and 2) don't have much money. I need to be careful with my finances right now, and donating to someone for a game I'm not sure they can make, even if they try, that won't be released for a few years and even when it is I'm not sure I'll like it doesn't count as being careful financially. Right now I have to stick to purchasing things I know I'd love only. I haven't even gotten the Knitting pack yet and it's one I really really have been looking forward to, haha! But I'm gonna have to wait until I can bundle it or get a sale or something at this time.
    If I was rich I'd probably donate just to help him out.

I'm not a fan of the realistic style, but with him redoing everything it's way too soon to say that I will or won't like this yet, so I'm just watching. And probably will be for some time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited August 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited August 2020
    I’m exhausted 😂😂 this controversy has outgrown a one-man show. I’m looking forward to seeing this dude’s game.

Also, ::groan:: at every Game Changer and wannabe is trying to get a scoop by covering this game. They saw Plumbella (who I thought I just recently celebrated and applauded for announcing taking a mental health break?) suddenly capitalize on it so they’re all following suit, with the same ol’ “shocked” facial expression superimposed over gameplay screenshots (as they all do in every video). Sometimes outlined in white, but always jaws to the floor.

Yeah, I know. I almost find it kinda funny. There are so many different games that are under development which don't get any coverage at all, and this guy from russia decides to make a life simulator and loads of people make videos about it.

And yes, I am really tired of the Simmer Youtuber preview image where they are looking so shocked. I have to say it was pretty silly when they used those for Nifty Knitting. I mean... the pack is good but....a shocked face over knitting? that we already knew so much about already?

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Well I doubt there'll be any more videos since apparently he issues a strike against one that wasn't very receptive and it was removed from YouTube. 3 strikes and your channel is permanently removed.

As for why so many of course we're all interested in news of any new developing life simulations.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Yeah I think it's because we're so hungry for a new life sim game, and since EA chooses not to officially announce ANYTHING about whether TS5 is in development, people are just craving and hoping for something new in the near future.

I'm pretty positive that this game will not pan out, but I still hope the dev doesn't get discouraged from all of the negative people trolling his discord and bashing him. I truly don't think he never set out to scam anybody, I just think he is overly ambitious, young, and doesn't have the experience or resources to create this type of a game. He's worked on games in the past with his friends making maps and whatnot in unreal, but that's only a small part of game development tho.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2020
    Definitely sounds weird. Pixelade just posted he's not going to do any videos on it because he's scared to get a strike on his channel.

And the one person the dev reached out to do an interview with is a child with 100 subs. Strange indeed.

Then he just posted a new video showing.....nothing.... characters turning their head because the gameplay is apparently 100% done? Or so he wrote in the comments under the video.

Paralives seems more legit than this and I was iffy about that one. I've never seen a game look so suspicious. 🤔

And if the game was set for 2021 before he pushed it back he should be showing off tons of gameplay that is apparently 100%

If this does turn out to be a scam it's clear he didn't think this one through
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top