Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What year did you start playing your first The Sims game?

qidpmcvgek8y.png

What year did you start playing your first The Sims game? 324 votes

1999 (TS1 pre-release tester)
2%
windweaveramchristianSeamoanSimsChica2013CreativeMom88CamarieSimsPottsSimsLady2000DIYMama 9 votes
33%
Jderrick094JeanIdontrcallIcewolflori171957Jaline33LadyInBlacksketchesClothoCabelle1863Shellyrae593MaMaTwinklebirdAlexaiAllearsGramcrackerslisamwittCamkatsuetoopTheSpotted_CSimburian 110 votes
2001-2002
15%
icmnfrshMightySparksLoreleilee73PlayerSinger2010SimsILikeSimsAuroraBoreallisViolet777kwanzaabotPaigeisin5RadioAChickenSavorySagebarracuda1574stilljustme2AncientMuseSakia90CharlotteknplanettvSimChic1igazorAyeffen 49 votes
2003-2004
12%
Rflong7HeyHeyyMonaSolstraaleIsb917KatAnubisfruitsbasket101alyssasim87cmbaker16BariSaxyKennziKaigeSimsister2004smurf45blueJACKIEJOYhellokitty1496charmed4life4HarukotyanDaraviGemmie12wsteffi30ParmaViolet87 41 votes
2005-2006
5%
GoldmoldarGalacticGalNadja55ApparentlyAwesomeakaniki0DreamOperatorkristenleighwhitewaterywatermelonDanielroxheapssnoepjes1210AngelEb95MirkaKaroliinaPeculiarPlumbobsimsdelamodeSleepstarSayNoToGnomesPhantasm_H3mjpsulsuldagdag 18 votes
2007-2008
5%
FigwitMizzila1297kiwi84wormofthebookgifford01Sunflowergal227Onversersillyangel0906JasonRMJCeridwenBreazonaSheepilingheauxfinitySimmerGeorgesusannesimsAncientcivLT24Sallycutecat 18 votes
2009-2011
6%
MagdaleenaAquariusMomAnthonydyerGlimmer50teamjenfionaloveserranoMaggieMarleyAstroMasonGamerZeeGeeValeahSERVERFRARamiiTheNightProwlaIVXXXVIpinkrobindaydreamsGuillaumeSnowVeeDubChris_McSimsLilynWolf 22 votes
2012-2014
5%
LissyK9SweetieWright_84benson2006Tokyoesmariajane216CAPTAIN_NXR7Winifred_Willowsnowgirly22KatNipTamakiSakura84FeisbukaiteOceancatlogionChatsapermanentroseGlacierSnowHSDevthatpinkcoconutKvisten 19 votes
2015-2017
4%
Simtown15Nikkei_SimmerEvie0602PeralAuroraskiesSeashoreLiviaKimmercody6268MyriadSimsehud8651bubblegum2304AninaBeanaraenysimImagebear 14 votes
2018-2020
7%
AngeliqueAdelaideAyKooChaoZora1327MeowchaFrappeCavapoo_Kinggothbunie[Deleted User]CAMFAM2018CharityCodesLivi5500kDragon_KweenEricabadu2Ray_TraceErsa_MiddletonJunShakurmightyspriteSepiaSimerooniesBookBearDragonmasterleo 24 votes

Comments

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited August 2020
    2003-2004
    I remember I wanted The Sims 1 (I'm not sure how I learned about it) but when my stepdad went to the store he couldn't find it and came back with SimCity 3000 instead. I was horrible at SC3000. I would always start going broke in my city, so then I would raise the taxes super high and everyone would move out and I would spend years with a nearly abandoned city as I waited fo all that money to come in. Then I would lower the taxes and things would go back to normal, people would move back, services would work again; then I would go broke again. Rinse and repeat. :D

And then a year or two later, I remember there was a trailer for TS2 on a DVD that I had (very strange, right) and was like...I have to have this game. And then I eventually found TS2 at the library. It came in this encyclopedia-sized case because it also had four discs. I loved reading the manual while I waited for it to install. Eventually I got it as a gift and that was it.

ETA: I think for me it was around 2002-2003 when I played SimCity initially.
    Post edited by NationalPokedex on
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    It was 2000-'01ish. Wasn't it rated 'M' for Mature? I don't remember. But I was like 10 then, lol.

I played it because I liked "god games" and general simulation/sandbox games. My older cousin always got the games before I played them, so she played The Sims before I did — and SimCity — and other games (like RuneScape and Neopets, haha). I also loved RollerCoaster Tycoon, by the way (and the other Tycoon games), and Black & White.

Been hooked ever since.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    2003-2004
    I was five when I got obsessed with TS1. TS2 followed not long after and it's still the game of my dreams.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    2000, baby!
  • AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,061 Member
    2001-2002
    I think it was some time in 2001, my daughter was 10 years old and she was sitting on her computer playing this game that one of her friends let her borrow for the weekend. I sat down next to her and watched her play this cool "life" game called The Sims. I was hooked immediately. The next day, I ran out and bought two copies of the game, one for her computer and one for mine.

And the rest, as they say, is history. :)
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2020
    2009-2011
    TS3 was my first. I got it a few months after it was released and played it until TS4 came out.

I had played TS2 at the houses of some of my friends. One of them also had TS3, which was only recently released. I thought it was fun so asked my mum if I could have a copy of TS3 since it was the newer one. I remember I was so excited waiting for it to load for the first time - it took ages!
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    And played them all since! A few of the spin offs too.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    2003-2004
    I tried picking up the series for the first time sometime in 2003 on the Nintendo Gamecube console. I had really fallen for Animal Crossing and realized that these life sims might be the best kind of games for me. I didn't like The Sims on the GCN for whatever reason, but I came back to the series time and time again, until early 2004 when I got the PC version and the rest is history.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I bought it day one, even got to Best Buy as it opened. It was not on the shelves yet, so I asked the clerk to grab it from the back. Went home and played it non-stop until the next morning. I miss those days when I could stay awake all night and still function the next day.
  • CarendunaCarenduna Posts: 5 New Member
    I bought it day one also, having seen an advance review this was very much what I’d been waiting for in a game. Was a founder in Sims Online and spent WAY too much time there.
    Sims 2 was a long standing favourite of mine and when I didn’t get on with Sims 3 I drifted away. I discovered Sims 4 quite late but have been loving it to the extent that I play every day again.
  • cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    2003-2004
    I'm going to say around 2003-2004 cause I don't remember exactly I know we owned the sims 2 deluxe but I also know a few packs had already been released for sims 2 but I do remember watching the trailer for season's so i'm going to say somewhere around sims 2 season's announcement is more accurate. Cause I know for sure packs like university and bon voyage where already out.
  • amchristianamchristian Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited August 2020
    1999 (TS1 pre-release tester)
    Oops, clicked the wrong one. Didn't play the pretest, just played it when it came out.
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    2003-2004
    2003. I turned 13 and was finally a "teen" for the Sims "T" rating so on my birthday my mom took me to Game Stop and I was able to buy Sims Busting Out for PS2. It will always have a special place in my heart as it is what got me hooked on the game.
  • daydreamsdaydreams Posts: 121 Member
    2009-2011
    I started around 2009 with The Sims 3 on iPod Touch. Totally wanted to play on PC but I had a shared computer with my mom which was running Windows 97 or 98. 🤣 (It was functional enough for me to complete my homework at the time and casually check Myspace, so I was grateful!)

When I got my own computer in 2010 I officially started with The Sims 3 PC.
    “And he smiled a smile to shame the sun.”
    aH6O0kG.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2020
    2001-2002
    2001 was when I got my first computer (clamshell iBook) because I was taking computer programming and wanted a computer so I wouldn't have to spend all my spare time on campus in the lab. I was cruising the shelves at the local Apple Store looking for something to occupy me when I wasn't doing homework, and saw this game called The Sims by Aspyr (they did the Mac ports for Sims 1 & 2) and thought it looked interesting. The rest is history...

Prior to that though, I'd played SimCity on the SNES and enjoyed that as well.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    2007-2008
    I first started playing sims games in like 2008, but that was mysims so I'm not sure if that would count. My first actual sims game was the sims pets on the 3ds in like 2012 and then I got sims 3 a while later.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    2000. I read about it in a pc games magazine and bought it in release day.
  • pinkrobinpinkrobin Posts: 110 Member
    2009-2011
    I began playing The Sims 2 in 2009, shortly before The Sims 3 was released. I bought TS3 a few months later but at that time I was more into TS2 so I didn't start playing it more actively until like a year later.
    EA ID: Praktrosella
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    2007-2008
    It took me a while to discover the Sims series, since the internet wasn't as prominent back then as it is now.
    I found the CD for "The Sims 2 An Introduction" in my sister's magazine, which was basically just a teaser for the game in CD form.
    I loved it and I got Sims 1 and 2 right away
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited August 2020
    2003-2004
    TS1 for the ps2. Been playing ever since.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I put 2000, as it was near the beginning, but after thinking about it hard, it MIGHT have been 2001 actually as it wasn't as soon as it released but a short while later, and very possibly up to a year after. Anyways, too long ago to remember for sure if it was 2000 or 2001, but it was Sims 1 and a long long time ago haha!
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Very interesting! I didn’t realize that so many of us have been playing since the beginning! Far more than any other time frame.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    That's why there's so much discontent on the official forum. The majority of the players here have been playing for a long time so there's much comparison of the current iteration to past versions.
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,764 Member
    2003-2004
    I started of with Sims 1 for console and played it for a bit before getting Sims 2 on console and Bustin' Out. By the time Sims 3 came out, my younger brother wanted the Sims 3 PC version as a gift and I watched him play it a bit. Eventually, I downloaded it to my computer to play a bit but eventually the disc and the computer quit. Later on, after I was in my mid-20's, I ended up getting Sims 3 for myself and several expansions as a gift from an aunt. By this time, I had regained my interest in the Sims as I had several years where I didn't play. Now I own most of Sims 3 Expansions and Sims 4 base game. I didn't really get into Sims 4 so I've been mostly playing Sims 3 now.