The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Community Voted Stuff Pack 3: What simmers want, and when?

KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
I know most people here on the forums don't like the CVSP, but it's sure something popular on the community as a whole be in social media or people that don't actually talk much about the game. I love the interaction, I love the voting and I love the results. Laundry Day and Nifty Knitting are on my top 5 of most beloved stuff packs of all iterations, and I think that the community would win if we had one CVSP each year, with another one with the full control/desire of the dev team.
Thus, would be very interesting if they started a new CVSP this semester. Would you like another one? If yes, which themes/features would you want to be included that weren't included in the previous ones?
Here's a list of both SP ideas, choose something outside this list:
  • CVSP 01: ECO LIVING THEME
  • CVSP 01: STARTER HOME THEME
  • CVSP 01: ARCADE THEME
  • CVSP 01: DANGEROUS THEME
  • CVSP 01: WEDDING THEME
  • CVSP 02: ARTS & CRAFTS THEME
  • CVSP 02: SELF-CARE ROUTINE THEME
  • CVSP 02: FUN-TECH THEME
  • CVSP 02: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY THEME
  • CVSP 02: HAPPY HAUNTS THEME

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,373 Member
    I think it would depend on what themes they will put up for voting. I'd like another hobby/money making type activity.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I would love a kids and tots play pack with more toys, Trikes, kids bikes, hopscotch animations, baseball for 2+ sims, remote control cars, lemonade stands, baby dolls kids can carry around, etc
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    I don't think that Eco Lifestyle is such a bug ridden mess as people think. It's just that they don't know how to play it!
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    The Happy Haunts theme has been one of my favorites for so long, so I'd happily vote for some kind of occult/supernatural pack, even one that only included weird careers, hehe. I guess something like that will probably end up being a GP, but I'd prefer a Reaper career over hours of knitting for sure. A scars/birthmarks/cellulite/vitiligo/albinism SP would be right up my alley as well (I do understand the controversy it may cause, but I do think it would bring realism and many people would feel empowered to see themselves being represented in such a famous game (thank goodness the Dev Team embraced the LGBTQIA+ community finally), even though I don't think we'll ever see one -I think they tend to choose themes that appease a younger audience. I'm in my late twenties now and have been playing The Sims since 2002 (technically since 2000, but the first two years were only on my best friend's computer) and it's only the last three years or so that I've been getting the feeling that the game is somewhat 'childish' for my taste. I get the T Rating and all, but taking into consideration how many Simmers are over 25 years old, it wouldn't hurt if the developers thought about adding some more mature stuff, to the extent that it stays vanilla of course. This ties perfectly to the Dangerous Theme, or similar ones, as well.

I guess my preferences would mainly be these (spread over SP and GPs, I am positive they could make some of these ideas work either way): Occult Stuff, Illness/Diseases, Wild Reservation Park/Saving The Wild Animals From Extinction pack, Supernatural Careers, a Baby Overhaul SP, Scars/Body Spots and Freckles/Vitiligo/Albinism/(Other) GP or SP, and the ability for us to create our own tattoos in CAS.

I can't wait for the next round of votes, if I want to be honest! :p
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    I'll go with Science & Technology
    edited October 2020
    The Happy Haunts theme has been one of my favorites for so long, so I'd happily vote for some kind of occult/supernatural pack, even one that only included weird careers, hehe. I guess something like that will probably end up being a GP, but I'd prefer a Reaper career over hours of knitting for sure. A scars/birthmarks/cellulite/vitiligo/albinism SP would be right up my alley as well (I do understand the controversy it may cause, but I do think it would bring realism and many people would feel empowered to see themselves being represented in such a famous game (thank goodness the Dev Team embraced the LGBTQIA+ community finally), even though I don't think we'll ever see one -I think they tend to choose themes that appease a younger audience. I'm in my late twenties now and have been playing The Sims since 2002 (technically since 2000, but the first two years were only on my best friend's computer) and it's only the last three years or so that I've been getting the feeling that the game is somewhat 'childish' for my taste. I get the T Rating and all, but taking into consideration how many Simmers are over 25 years old, it wouldn't hurt if the developers thought about adding some more mature stuff, to the extent that it stays vanilla of course. This ties perfectly to the Dangerous Theme, or similar ones, as well.

I guess my preferences would mainly be these (spread over SP and GPs, I am positive they could make some of these ideas work either way): Occult Stuff, Illness/Diseases, Wild Reservation Park/Saving The Wild Animals From Extinction pack, Supernatural Careers, a Baby Overhaul SP, Scars/Body Spots and Freckles/Vitiligo/Albinism/(Other) GP or SP, and the ability for us to create our own tattoos in CAS.

I have psoriasis and lymphoedemia and I do not want that represented in my game. A few spots here or there ok but I don't want to be reminded that I have those unsightly blemishes or legs/hips all the time. (though you could something like the latter if you wanted to already).
    Post edited by Simburian on
  • TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I don't think that Eco Lifestyle is such a bug ridden mess as people think. It's just that they don't know how to play it!

Well, many aspects of it are poorly tuned. Fabricator fails/breaks way too much and has no upgrade options to decrease the chance. Unnecessary object duplicity (they should've made it possible to use the sketchpad from 'freelancer patch' for drafting eco blueprints instead of adding yet another device). Way too high power consumption of lights that doesn't reflect their real consumption. Reversed power consumption curve for appliances (CRT TVs should consume more than flat-screen, not the other way around). Dog dung, potty, and cat toilet unusable as compost for beetle farms - why?
    You need to manually buy dyes for fabricating and candles, but not for knitting - why not make one approach and stick to it?
    Don't get me wrong, I love playing my 'island OTG hermits' save (done mostly with stuff from Eco Living and Island Living), but all I mentioned above points to a lack of deeper thinking about tuning (not only) EL features properly.
    Karon wrote: »
    I know most people here on the forums don't like the CVSP, but it's sure something popular on the community as a whole be in social media or people that don't actually talk much about the game. I love the interaction, I love the voting and I love the results.
    I'm a silent lurker for most of the time, and I loved the interaction as well. That's probably the reason why some people are skeptical about it - the silent fanbase (which might be quite numerous) may have very different desires than the most-active forum dwellers.
    As for the options you mention, I'd really love some kind of romance pack (gib slow dance!). Self-care... not sure if worth a pack of its own, since we had Spa Day. This is one of the cases where I think they should go back and do some additional polish to other packs (especially adding aspirations to packs that miss them, including Spa Day). And Sci-Tech can look both good and bad for me, depending on how would it be handled.
    A scars/birthmarks/cellulite/vitiligo/albinism SP would be right up my alley as well (I do understand the controversy it may cause, but I do think it would bring realism and many people would feel empowered to see themselves being represented in such a famous game...
    I think such customizations should be added in a patch. Along with body hair, and some more glasses (and sunglasses).

I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    edited August 2020
    Ideally I'd like them to give us a list of maybe ten interactive objects to choose from, then build the SP around that. But unfortunately this isn't how this works. I get it, they first brainstorm, then narrow the concepts down to a single one that they refine, and it was fun following that procedure the first time around, but this "playing developer" gets old. The current approach can also lead to much disappointment, for example I voted Arts & Crafts second, but Knitting was my last choice within the category. In voting for A&C I had to take the chance that knitting won, instead of my favored activities. Also there was some misunderstanding when people still were under the impression that all activities mentioned in the same category would get realized, not just one.

Had they started the polls with "Rocking Chair", "In-door holographic golf course", "Ouija board", "Fitness Watch" and "Paramecium growing set", everyone would have known what was on the table. Then the, for example, paramecium set could have led to either a Laboratory Stuff SP (realism gameplay), a Creepy Crawlies Attack SP (occult gameplay) or something else.
  • ZazzyKittynZazzyKittyn Posts: 369 Member
    CVSP 01: STARTER HOME THEME ~ would love to see this in updates
    CVSP 01: ARCADE THEME ~ would love to see this with the fun tech pack if you don't combine with another pack mentioned below along with new traits aspirations and career
    CVSP 01: DANGEROUS THEME ~ would love to see this more expanded with new careers such as stunts firemen etc
    CVSP 01: WEDDING THEME ~ would love to see this more expanded maybe a couple new worlds where our sims can go to for a honeymoon, inns etc we can play with and build for ourselves even a new career or two

CVSP 02: ARTS & CRAFTS THEME ~ would love to have more arts and crafts in the game for toddlers to elders to do maybe can even have new traits aspirations and careers thrown in there are tons of arts and crafts that this could be a game pack and not a stuff pack
    CVSP 02: SELF-CARE ROUTINE THEME ~ would love to see this as an update and not in a pack by itself
    CVSP 02: FUN-TECH THEME ~ would love to see this but could be placed with the ARTS & CRAFTS or SCIENCE & TECH packs
    CVSP 02: SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY THEME ~ would love to see this pack along with a new world and careers
    CVSP 02: HAPPY HAUNTS THEME ~ would love to see this as a game pack or ep along with new careers and world
  • Sallinger79Sallinger79 Posts: 27 Member
    Happy Haunts needs to be a game pack, not just a stuff pack, in my opinion. I was fine with the "Arts & Crafts" theme being just knitting because a) we already have painting, woodworking, flower arranging, candlemaking, and photography and b) The Sims has been teasing us with knitting ever since they first introduced Mrs. Crumplebottom in 2005! (I started knitting about a year before that, so the fact that my selfsim is finally able to knit is a huge deal for me.)

But if we're going to get a haunted theme, I want to be able to hunt ghosts AND be a psychic AND hold seances AND be the Grim Reaper's sidekick AND spend the night in a haunted house (although I'm not sure how this would be different than the current "Haunted" lot trait). If we only got one of these things, I can't imagine it would be worth $10 to me unless it has some really amazing CAS and build/buy stuff.
  • gingered84gingered84 Posts: 6 New Member
    When Happy Haunts was first suggested to vote on, I couldn't conceive of what it would involve, but a lot of you have great suggestions for it! It's awesome. Even if we just had the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 back for blind dates, that would be great IMO!

I am wary though that all future game packs will be too focused, because they seem to only really give us one actually new game play object per pack (with a few exceptions). Because of that, I think their community voting suggestions are misleading and are going to only lead to disappointment. We are hearing a broad topic and are expecting a wealth of new additions to the game that the Sims team simply won't give us in a stuff pack. Arts and crafts? They didn't give us the option to choose between knitting vs pottery vs paper mache or something; if they had told us it was a knitting & etsy pack, people would have maybe voted differently. I imagine their idea for self care would be specific too of only giving us aromatherapy or chocolates or something. I feel like they should have us vote between the actual main concept, not a vague theme idea, because that leads to disappointment and high expectations of the full fleshed-out packs we used to get.
  • ChildrenofhurinChildrenofhurin Posts: 138 Member
    gingered84 wrote: »
    When Happy Haunts was first suggested to vote on, I couldn't conceive of what it would involve, but a lot of you have great suggestions for it! It's awesome. Even if we just had the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 back for blind dates, that would be great IMO!

I am wary though that all future game packs will be too focused, because they seem to only really give us one actually new game play object per pack (with a few exceptions). Because of that, I think their community voting suggestions are misleading and are going to only lead to disappointment. We are hearing a broad topic and are expecting a wealth of new additions to the game that the Sims team simply won't give us in a stuff pack. Arts and crafts? They didn't give us the option to choose between knitting vs pottery vs paper mache or something; if they had told us it was a knitting & etsy pack, people would have maybe voted differently. I imagine their idea for self care would be specific too of only giving us aromatherapy or chocolates or something. I feel like they should have us vote between the actual main concept, not a vague theme idea, because that leads to disappointment and high expectations of the full fleshed-out packs we used to get.

I take it you didn’t actually participate in the first round of voting? We DID get to choose the gameplay that came with Arts and Crafts (the five options were knitting, pottery, glassblowing, embroidery and edible art - knitting won obviously).

In fact, in the survey you had to vote on the five potential stuff packs within each theme BEFORE you actually voted for which theme you wanted.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member

I have psoriasis and lympheodemia and I do not want that represented in my game. A few spots here or there ok but I don't want to be reminded that I have those unsightly blemishes or legs/hips all the time. (though you could something like the latter if you wanted to already).

My mom has psoriasis, but she only had some cracks/disruptions on her feet and other limb extremities for her whole life, but she has been having those littles spots everywhere to the point that nowadays she's looking a lot like a spotted jaguar. I know that she doesn't feel pretty anymore, as she used to were more "revealing" clothes and now she hides herself with longer clothing/jeans/etc. We had no idea that it was psoriasis, cuz she's been taking some medicines to deal with panic crisis and she thought it was side effects. Your comment helpd me realize it might be psoriasis, thank you. If you have more information, please feel free to provide me. @Simburian
    @Childrenofhurin I think @gingered84 is saying that they didn't had to separate the "gameplay" into differente categories as it made a lot of people think we would be getting on theme + all of the ideas within it. And I agree, maybe next time they could provide us with a huge lsit and have us rank them from most favorite to least favorite, as pick the winner.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I recently did a poll on this and the feedback was fairly mixed, but had a positive slant. The majority wanted to try the process with a GP or an EP rather an a SP, but very few outright disliked the thought of a new one.
    @Calico45 would be my dream to vote an EP, but it would require a lot of planning from the dev team before that. I think they have to record the processes of each EP they make to know timing, when each feature most be developed, etc... Would take at least 2 years for the voting to end and the pack be released, IF the theme weren't something that required more time like Cats & Dogs, etc... But, I think its doable, at least once.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'd like for them to create the arcade stuff pack that never stood a chance vs the 30 or so options that were listed with eco.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The only way I'd support another community pack would be if they actually let the fans participate in coming up with concepts and ideas. I don't want to just vote on concepts the gurus and developers decided on beforehand. Let the players decide what the art themes will be before they are voted on. Let us decide what clothes and objects we want to choose from before the vote. I want actual community involvement into the creation of the pack, not simply voting on what the higher ups want us to pick from.

As for what kind of pack I'd want see: a pack for babies.
    @ListentoToppDogg would be amazing if fans could send concepts or even meshes to compete on the voting. Maybe they could do a website like Lego Ideas or something.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member

Well, they finally resolved the Stealing Is Caring situation, at least. To me, the fact that they "fixed" this means it was a bug, and not intentional.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    I'm one of those that is irritated by CVSP. I sort of am ok with Laundry Day (mostly for the hair and clothing options) however haven't even considered buying Nifty Knitting as I only want the rocking chair. When given the choice the community seems to go with "boring" options. I would love to see a fun tech, wedding, or self-care routine theme, but put it into the community's hands and I just know the community will find a way to suck the fun out it. I will never understand how knitting beat out glass blowing and edible art for example.
    edited August 2020
    Karon wrote: »

I have psoriasis and lympheodemia and I do not want that represented in my game. A few spots here or there ok but I don't want to be reminded that I have those unsightly blemishes or legs/hips all the time. (though you could something like the latter if you wanted to already).

My mom has psoriasis, but she only had some cracks/disruptions on her feet and other limb extremities for her whole life, but she has been having those littles spots everywhere to the point that nowadays she's looking a lot like a spotted jaguar. I know that she doesn't feel pretty anymore, as she used to were more "revealing" clothes and now she hides herself with longer clothing/jeans/etc. We had no idea that it was psoriasis, cuz she's been taking some medicines to deal with panic crisis and she thought it was side effects. Your comment helpd me realize it might be psoriasis, thank you. If you have more information, please feel free to provide me. @Simburian

Sent you a message on your page @Karon In your Inbox (envelope on top)
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member

I suffer from seborrhoeic dermatitis and my mother has got psoriasis as well, so I completely understand what you mean. I think a good solution would be to make these CAS features optional; some players could enable them and have them in their game, others could have the option to emit them altogether should they choose to do so. But there are limits, as you mentioned, so I don't think we'll ever get these kinds of things. Mods are there for a reason after all. ;)
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    At this point, I just think they should prioritize fixing bugs. How fun is the game with a new expansion if the game is lagging, and you have to wait forever, just to see your sim ignore their task? And than cry because all their needs are low. It takes all their free time to take care of that, and than still it doesn't work. At that point there is no time left for doing homework, building skills or being social.