Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

ANOTHER Competitor to The Sims 5?!?? People of the Newbery

ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
edited August 2020 in Off Topic Chat
I was just browsing through YouTube and found this. It seems there are now THREE competitors up against The Sims franchise.

People of the Newbery - New Official Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68HjmufFQuM
Game Blurb

You are the main character of the city of Newbery. Create your own houses, neighborhoods, and family dynasties - then watch it all come to life!

Supported Platforms: PC, Mac, PS5 and Xbox Series X

I have never heard of this life sim game before until now. In the About section of the channel it says that the game is currently in development and will be sold in the Epic Game Store when it's ready (estimated 2021).

I'm posting about this because it's being made in the Unreal Engine 4. If The Sims 5 is also made with the Unreal Engine 4, then I wonder how similar and different these two games will be to each other.

There are other videos featuring environment, male and female characters and a variety of animals. It doesn't say if it is open world, but might be because of the animals. Also it's only one town and players probably can't make other worlds. I think its main focus is building up this one town and then generation play. The art style is realistic with fine details and textures.

People of the Newbery - Character Creation Female
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLP2_0aFjs

People of the Newbery - Character Creation Male
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rS6DxCiZ68

People of the Newbery - Character Creation Animals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8DKezwq25U

People of the Newbery - Northern Lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGacdu1DyUM

I don't have any concrete opinion on it yet because there isn't much info on it. So far it looks like a great place for a farming community, but it said that you can build neighborhoods, so I guess you can have an urban and suburban side to it. I do like that you can customize the characters in great detail. I'm going to keep watching this and see what kind of gameplay and AI it will eventually have. Those are the most important features to me.

Does anyone else have more info on this? Let me know!

Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    That looks promising! but somehow the characters look midgetty
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    They don't seem to have the same hype as Paralives does so I don't see a competitor in them. Their videos have barely any views and they don't even seem to have their own website yet. They might need to be up the marketing side of things if they want to compete.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    izecson wrote: »

Unreal engine games can be modded so maybe some people will create skins you'll like!

edited August 2020
    Duvelina wrote: »
    They don't seem to have the same hype as Paralives does so I don't see a competitor in them. Their videos have barely any views and they don't even seem to have their own website yet. They might need to be up the marketing side of things if they want to compete.

I agree. The videos are pretty recent though. The oldest are from a month ago, the newest is two weeks ago. Maybe Epic will help the developer.

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Not a fan of the human art style, but the house/street art style looks super cute. I think I prefer the building art style over Paralives but like Parafolk more. Animal animations look good, but really not much to go on yet. I'd def want to see what's in store for live mode play with kids and tots, as well as price point before considering. At this point, not really looking for a new game but open to one if something amazing for family play came out and it wasn't too expensive.
    The mailbox says "US Mail" which makes me think it's set in the real world USA. I wonder if we can we travel to other countries in it? It looks like it might not be AS modern to me as Sims 4, maybe a few decades ago? But I could be wrong, just didn't show much to tell haha. ) If it is, I kinda like that.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Interesting. I went to the Discord server and it says this is supposed to be released in Q3 of 2021. Some of the things mentioned here have been addressed there also. There will be no modding; there might be a mix of English and a fictional language; 100 animals existing in the world; ability to edit nature.

I think the developer has only just now been able to start seriously working on it (they mentioned having built a PC so they can develop the game). That could explain the newness/lack of presence.
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    Seems promising. Watched a few videos, and I haven't seen what the other life stages would look like. Nowadays I'm hoping for a life simulation game that is family-oriented and doesn't pander or try too hard to seem "woke."

Yeah, I hope this is more family oriented - it did talk about family dynasties! Also agree about keeping it non-woke. Pandering doesn't quiet the sqeakiest wheel - it'll just make more wheels squeak!

Interesting. I went to the Discord server and it says this is supposed to be released in Q3 of 2021. Some of the things mentioned here have been addressed there also. There will be no modding; there might be a mix of English and a fictional language; 100 animals existing in the world; ability to edit nature.

I think the developer has only just now been able to start seriously working on it (they mentioned having built a PC so they can develop the game). That could explain the newness/lack of presence.

The mailbox sign is English, I wonder how much English would be in it. It'd be repetitive if the people say the same things over and over and hard for non-English speakers if the signs are English, but I imagine a few things like on the mailbox would be fine. No mods doesn't bother me, I don't use them much at all even in Sims and not at all in anything else.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Unreal engine games can be modded so maybe some people will create skins you'll like!

If you think just because a game made with Unreal Engine can be easily modded clearly you havent played many games developed with one.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    Not a fan of the human art style, but the house/street art style looks super cute. I think I prefer the building art style over Paralives but like Parafolk more. Animal animations look good, but really not much to go on yet. I'd def want to see what's in store for live mode play with kids and tots, as well as price point before considering. At this point, not really looking for a new game but open to one if something amazing for family play came out and it wasn't too expensive.
    The mailbox says "US Mail" which makes me think it's set in the real world USA. I wonder if we can we travel to other countries in it? It looks like it might not be AS modern to me as Sims 4, maybe a few decades ago? But I could be wrong, just didn't show much to tell haha. ) If it is, I kinda like that.

From what little I've read, all it mentions is this one place. Maybe that's just a starting point and there will be more places? I agree the building styles look great. I'm not big on how characters look as long as they're decent, but hopefully someone will make skins that you'll like.

edited August 2020

From what little I've read, all it mentions is this one place. Maybe that's just a starting point and there will be more places? I agree the building styles look great. I'm not big on how characters look as long as they're decent, but hopefully someone will make skins that you'll like.

Sounds like it can't be modded, and I don't use many mods in games anyways, def no CC ones, basically I'd just want it to look more cartoony like Sims 4 people, but it's not a huge deal if it doesn't. I don't care too much if it had really good kids/toddler play haha. I wonder if they can age or if they just stay at the same age.
    edited August 2020

No modding??? I hope it has great game play and no bugs then if that's the case..... I still want to see how the game turns out.

No nodding??? I hope it has great game play and no bugs then if that's the case..... I still want to see how the game turns out.

"No, the game will not have mod support. this will have a bad effect on the performance of the game. But I will release every 2-3 months a new free add-on, with new clothes, furniture and everything that is in the game."

This is what the developer posted in the Discord.
    edited August 2020

If you think just because a game made with Unreal Engine can be easily modded clearly you havent played many games developed with one.

*Shrug* But I have. Fortunately for you the dev has posted that this game wont be moddable so you won't have to stress over it.

edited August 2020

Sounds like it can't be modded, and I don't use many mods in games anyways, def no CC ones, basically I'd just want it to look more cartoony like Sims 4 people, but it's not a huge deal if it doesn't. I don't care too much if it had really good kids/toddler play haha. I wonder if they can age or if they just stay at the same age.

Yeah just read from the other post that it isn't moddable. But if it has other features that are great, I'm fine with that.

I hope it's okay if I post this here. It's from the FAQ in the Discord.
    wrote:
    Questions and answers

When will the game be released?
    Approximate release date Q3 2021

Is this an online game?
    The game was originally created for an online mode for up to 6 players, but you can also play it without an Internet connection.

Where will the game be sold?
    The game will appear in the Epic Games Store.

What platforms will the game be available on?
    At the start, the game will be available on PC, after a while on Xbox and PS.

Is there a beta version and can I become a tester?
    Yes, we will conduct 3 tests of the game, you can submit a request and get the opportunity to try out the game for free.

Does the game support user-generated content?
    No, the game will not support user content, for the sake of maximum performance and product quality. We will offer you a large amount of content at the beginning of the game and Supplement it with free game sets.

What language will the game support?
    English
    French
    German
    Polish
    Russian
    Chinese

Only one Newbury city will be available in the game?
    No, the game will have a large global map with different countries and cities, but you can only visit them as a tourist, build your own house and live only in Newbury.

What are the requirements for my computer to run the game?
    Unreal engine 4 technology allows you to flexibly customize the game's graphics and performance. This makes it possible to run games on almost any computer.

Minimum requirement:
    Processor: 2 cores 4 threads
    RAM: 4 GB
    Video memory: 1 GB
    Disk space: from 50 GB

No nodding??? I hope it has great game play and no bugs then if that's the case..... I still want to see how the game turns out.

"No, the game will not have mod support. this will have a bad effect on the performance of the game. But I will release every 2-3 months a new free add-on, with new clothes, furniture and everything that is in the game."

This is what the developer posted in the Discord.

Hmm....quite a bit limited already honestly. But hopefully features will make up for that. We'll see....

• KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Another competitor? Sims better step it up!
    I hope it's okay if I post this here. It's from the FAQ in the Discord.
    wrote:
    Questions and answers

When will the game be released?
    Approximate release date Q3 2021

Is this an online game?
    The game was originally created for an online mode for up to 6 players, but you can also play it without an Internet connection.

Where will the game be sold?
    The game will appear in the Epic Games Store.

What platforms will the game be available on?
    At the start, the game will be available on PC, after a while on Xbox and PS.

Is there a beta version and can I become a tester?
    Yes, we will conduct 3 tests of the game, you can submit a request and get the opportunity to try out the game for free.

Does the game support user-generated content?
    No, the game will not support user content, for the sake of maximum performance and product quality. We will offer you a large amount of content at the beginning of the game and Supplement it with free game sets.

What language will the game support?
    English
    French
    German
    Polish
    Russian
    Chinese

Only one Newbury city will be available in the game?
    No, the game will have a large global map with different countries and cities, but you can only visit them as a tourist, build your own house and live only in Newbury.

What are the requirements for my computer to run the game?
    Unreal engine 4 technology allows you to flexibly customize the game's graphics and performance. This makes it possible to run games on almost any computer.

Minimum requirement:
    Processor: 2 cores 4 threads
    RAM: 4 GB
    Video memory: 1 GB
    Disk space: from 50 GB

No, I'm happy you posted all that here!

I wonder about how accurate all those places will be....

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited August 2020
    OMG! I'm IN LOVE with the graphics and characters already! On their facebook page they have a pic of the inside of a farmhouse dining room and bedroom, sooooo cute and realistic! It's my type of game.

I am kinda sad that there won't be modding ability tho.

The facebook did say you could play online with your up to 5 friends.

There's not a lot of promotional advertising tho, I couldn't find any information on the game when doing a search besides their social media pages
    OMG! I'm IN LOVE with the graphics and characters already! On their facebook page they have a pic of the inside of a farmhouse dining room and bedroom, sooooo cute and realistic! It's my type of game.

Yeah, I like the building style a lot! I'm not going to use the multiplayer mode though for the town, but I might for visiting all those other places. I wonder how all that will work?

I wonder what careers it will have? We would need ways for our characters to make money to spend on our homes and traveling to all those places.

There's not a lot of promotional advertising tho, I couldn't find any information on the game when doing a search besides their social media pages

It's just starting, but we can help by spreading word of it!

Yeah, I like the building style a lot! I'm not going to use the multiplayer mode though for the town, but I might for visiting all those other places. I wonder how all that will work?

If it works something like the multiplayer in Animal Crossing I'm okay with it. You can have friends you approve visit only when you open your town gates and they can't actually do anything, like they can't move stuff around or place new stuff etc.

Honestly at this point, I'm probably not going to be getting this game, simply because of expenses and not enough time to play, but I'm def. gonna keep an eye on it because maybe one day in the future I might. It looks interesting anyways. I'll give it time and see what people say after it's been out for awhile
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top