Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What I Expected the Sims Spark’d to Actually Be

MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
Alright so, I loved the Sims Spark’d, but it wasn’t what I expected, nor wanted. If any of you watch the MCC (Minecraft Championship) you know that it’s very different from the Sims Spark’d. The Minecraft Championship is a bunch of people getting together to do mini games to try to win. Sounds similar to the Sims Spark’d, right? Wrong. MCC is funny, and focused on the actually gaming part of the competition. Spark’d I felt like focused a lot on drama and the people. It felt like I was watching a show like Masterchef, not a video game competition. People cried, StephoSims left, Team Llama got into fights, etc. I felt like they tried to hard to copy shows like Masterchef instead of making it the awesome, funny, video game competition I was hoping for. I decided to post this one here to see how many people agree with me. Do you enjoy the Sims Spark’d how it is? Or would you rather it be less dramatic, like they are focusing to much on the drama and less on the game play?

Comments

• elemmeleelemmele Posts: 689 Member
    I actually liked Spark'd, but the forced drama was not one of the things I enjoyed about it. I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree it seems like they're focused too much on that and not enough on the game itself! Now that you put it in the context of other gaming competitions (that aren't FPSs or Battle Royales), that really makes sense to me. I've watched a few episodes of the "Minecraft Hunger Games" they did...last year? When a bunch of YouTubers got together? That was really fun! And I think if Spark'd tried to follow that kind of vibe instead, it could be a lot of fun to watch (and hopefully even more fun to participate in)!
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    LemDoodle wrote: »
    I actually liked Spark'd, but the forced drama was not one of the things I enjoyed about it. I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree it seems like they're focused too much on that and not enough on the game itself! Now that you put it in the context of other gaming competitions (that aren't FPSs or Battle Royales), that really makes sense to me. I've watched a few episodes of the "Minecraft Hunger Games" they did...last year? When a bunch of YouTubers got together? That was really fun! And I think if Spark'd tried to follow that kind of vibe instead, it could be a lot of fun to watch (and hopefully even more fun to participate in)!

I was talking to someone else about this and they mentioned that the Sims isn’t really meant to be a competition. It’s a Sandbox game where you can do and be whatever you want. In this competition they are basically telling u what to do and making people lose in a game where there shouldn’t be a loser.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Mouselline wrote: »

I was talking to someone else about this and they mentioned that the Sims isn’t really meant to be a competition. It’s a Sandbox game where you can do and be whatever you want. In this competition they are basically telling u what to do and making people lose in a game where there shouldn’t be a loser.

I agree with that sentiment, which is why I had no interest in Spark'd nor do to this day. Granted, I do not like reality TV, it both bores and annoys me (I have my own problems and little reason to care about fictional ones). However, I think I would have liked the show you described. Just people playing the game and trying to do something cool. Let's Plays are popular for a reason.

Instead we got a competition between influencers, which I personally do not watch, and which gave me a poor first impression. The whole thing is a shame in my opinion.
    Yeah, it's a little strange to have a competition show based around something as subjective as "telling a story." Not sure if you've watched the show all the way through, but I'll put something in a spoiler tag just in case!~

(Spoilers for the last episode of Spark'd)
    For example, in the last episode when they were picking the winning team, I recall one of the judges saying something along the lines of "when it's so close, you have to go with your heart." And that's a sweet sentiment, but I'm not sure if it's in line with a competition-based show.

I do really love the story-telling aspect of the show. I love when they focus on the game and how it's so accessible to so many different types of people. But the competition aspect is almost...counter-intuitive? I feel like that's not quite the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Calico45 wrote: »
    I agree with that sentiment, which is why I had no interest in Spark'd nor do to this day. Granted, I do not like reality TV, it both bores and annoys me (I have my own problems and little reason to care about fictional ones). However, I think I would have liked the show you described. Just people playing the game and trying to do something cool. Let's Plays are popular for a reason.

Instead we got a competition between influencers, which I personally do not watch, and which gave me a poor first impression. The whole thing is a shame in my opinion.
    I agree and think the show would be way better if it was more of a laid-back kind of gaming show, rather than a fast-paced, high-stress competition. I feel like they were trying to play up both sides, so their vision got kinda muddy...if that makes sense. Basically, I like the idea of what they were going for, but I think it could've been way better. And hopefully if they continue, it will be!
    de4l47l-8be82ab0-e824-47d8-b89d-e4b317e1e4e7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGE4NDlmM2ItMjBlZC00MzNkLWJkZjQtMzY5YzY0MGVhYzFmXC9kZTRsNDdsLThiZTgyYWIwLWU4MjQtNDdkOC1iODlkLWU0YjMxN2UxZTRlNy5wbmcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.mOg5OTH8yLLAb8Swus1BlunSLcRGY3-w29wazeBAu18
  • MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    Yeah, it's a little strange to have a competition show based around something as subjective as "telling a story." Not sure if you've watched the show all the way through, but I'll put something in a spoiler tag just in case!~

(Spoilers for the last episode of Spark'd)
    For example, in the last episode when they were picking the winning team, I recall one of the judges saying something along the lines of "when it's so close, you have to go with your heart." And that's a sweet sentiment, but I'm not sure if it's in line with a competition-based show.

I do really love the story-telling aspect of the show. I love when they focus on the game and how it's so accessible to so many different types of people. But the competition aspect is almost...counter-intuitive? I feel like that's not quite the right word, but I'm sure you know what I mean!

Calico45 wrote: »

I agree and think the show would be way better if it was more of a laid-back kind of gaming show, rather than a fast-paced, high-stress competition. I feel like they were trying to play up both sides, so their vision got kinda muddy...if that makes sense. Basically, I like the idea of what they were going for, but I think it could've been way better. And hopefully if they continue, it will be!

If they continue I don’t think they will get good reviews. Most people didn’t like it or found a lot of things wrong with it. I want them to continue it but i hope they take people’s thoughts into consideration if they do. If they do the exact same thing again, people are going to be very upset with them.
    If they continue I don’t think they will get good reviews. Most people didn’t like it or found a lot of things wrong with it. I want them to continue it but i hope they take people’s thoughts into consideration if they do. If they do the exact same thing again, people are going to be very upset with them.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of (and, admittedly, kinda expecting). As much as I'd like to think they'll listen to the feedback and make necessary changes, I'm not sure if the folks in charge of that project care much about the criticisms. The more cynical part of me thinks all they really care about is getting new people to buy the game. As much as I liked this show (or the idea of it, really), it's hard to see it as something besides one giant ad. But! It's totally possible they'll change things around...but I'm not holding my breath, y'know? If they do make changes, I hope they'll go with something like you've suggested here. I think it'd fit the overall tone they seem to be going for even better than the current competition format.
  • gothiclolitaplgothiclolitapl Posts: 94 Member
    also, it might sound odd, but even the way the entire show was edited was so 'american' if that makes sense. like it was all about upping the non-existant drama, with not that much focus on what the contestants were actually creating. I would've liked this show if they made it similar to something like the British bake off, since its a competition show, but it has a nice atmosphere, there is no drama, people are generally nice to each other. It reminds me of how someone once wrote about the stark contrast between Gordon Ramsey on British tv, vs American tv and I really do wonder if it's the cultural differences that are driving this unpleasant aspect of the show's production.
    Origin ID: blackrosespl
    My tumblr: https://blackrose-p-sims.tumblr.com/
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    I thought it was alright, just a bit "eh". I could take or leave it. It was entertaining enough to watch but it doesn't leave me heavily wanting more, the premise is too repetitive. It's just "tell a story in the sims" for every challenge.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I enjoyed the show although I did not care for the drama. I watched most of the players on YouTube and/or Twitch long before they went on the show. They are content creators and they are their own boss on the platforms they use. Most edit their own content and work very hard on their own. I want another season with a more diverse pool of players that are not all content creators.