Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writing Books - Up, Down, Up, Down

What I have noticed in the past two nights is when I get a Sim to write a book, they get up seconds after starting to go and read a book. I get to them to sit back down and resume writing, within seconds they're back up wanting to read again.
2quwd7.gif

Comments

• Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 435 Member
    edited August 2020
    Same. I had to put my bookshelf into the household inventory to make it stop.
  • irishdragon7irishdragon7 Posts: 124 Member
    I am also having that issue but my sim keeps getting up to dance. I have to keep turning off the stereo.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Old bug when the game was released in 2014. IIRC they patched it because Sims wouldn't stay put to keep writing. I bet most people are tired of seeing reoccurring bugs. I know I am. It's why I don't buy anymore. I read enough here to know things keep breaking over and over.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Yes, having the same but not just with writing.

Work around: I just cue up another write book or listen to music then write. If I stack cues they stay put. I have to do the same with the kids and their homework or play games while focused (aspiration). Cooking also .. I put a speaker in the kitchen and have my Sim listen to music then cook. They have been leaving the stove while cooking when they have hungry toddler. I don't stack anything with eating or they will take the food with them. Hard to get toddlers to sit and eat until they are full. They put the plate down and go play but they are still hungry. Parents abandon the toddler while potty training. The music thing does not work for this. I tried to just wait until the toddler is on the potty and then quick cue up another potty train but the game won't let me. I can't click on the potty with a toddler on it. I am taking a break from the game because it's so frustrating!
  • EVANGELlNEEVANGELlNE Posts: 51 Member
    That's really strange. I have never experienced this. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fun level of the computer versus the bookshelf and the comfort level of what they're sitting on? Maybe check and see if your bookcase fun level is higher than your computer. I use the level 10 computer and have the high level bookcase right in between them as they write and they never get the books. I also always set my sims to exactly the mood they need for the book. So for example, I put them in an energized mood if they are writing a sports skill book, or a confident mood if they are writing a motivational book. For normal books, you could try putting them in an "Inspired," mood and see if that helps them keep on track.

I've had my super sims continuously sit through writing an entire book start to finish for hours and they've never gotten up once. Even with additional commands for them to drink their plasma packs, they finish their books first unless I stop them.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I don’t have a problem with getting Sims to keep writing. They don’t get up.

My problem is with getting them to read. It has been happening for years now. For whatever reason, Sims will not sit for long periods of time and read. They never finish the book I tell them to read in one action. I have to tell them to read 4/5 times to finish a book. I even added traits, lot traits, rewards, etc and it hardly makes a difference.
  • EVANGELlNEEVANGELlNE Posts: 51 Member
    @adamclark83 I think the issue might be your chair. I know this sounds weird, but there are some items that you need to lock into place, just placing them down isn't enough. For instance, with the chess table, there are only certain chairs that will lock on to the chess table. The desk you place a computer on is also an item that has specific chairs you need to use. Try using a computer chair, and and see if your sim can reach the laptop. If they can reach the item, they should sit and write. If you correctly lock the chair and desk together, there will be a green border around both items in build/buy mode. Once locked together, you should be able to move the two objects as one cohesive item. If you place a chair that does not lock into the desk, you'll move be able to move the items separately.

In the past when I put a laptop on the kitchen island/bar, my Sim couldn't reach it while sitting on a chair. If they can't reach it, they'll wave their hands no, an icon appears above their head indicating they can't reach it, and they'll ignore your command. With islands/bars, you can only use barstools, so they couldn't reach the item because the chair I used didn't lock onto the island/bar.

Anyways, try changing your chair to one that locks into the writing desk and see if that helps. Worse case scenario your sim just keeps going to the bookcase xD