Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does #FixThePersonalities look like to you?

Can we get this trending next, pretty please? The personalities in the game are severely lacking.

But do we all have different expectations of what that looks like? What does it look like to you?

Does it mean scrapping the traits? Does it mean adding more? Does it mean lowering the power of emotions? Does it mean adding something else?

What does #FixThePersonalities look like for you? It looks like...
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

What does #FixThePersonalities look like to you? 106 votes

Adding more trait slots
0%
SimAlexandria 1 vote
Adding a personality point system like Sims 2
17%
SimburianIsa_MenezesVageniuscmbaker16motdkjlapaoKniga_SitaraPieceOfPrincessAPottsRenato10Winifred_Willowpandie00GodleyjeansfilipomelAuroraskiesizecsonNushkaSapphire769Cavapoo_King 19 votes
Adding a myersbrigg/ennegram/personality test system
2%
MikeytFaerieMariSimyim 3 votes
Adding more traits in general
7%
SimQueenie9Allison18rinaboobooadduapinaGeckogamesGeralt_ofRiviaPlumbeebLorenerd11 8 votes
Not making emotions as powerful
6%
Akl500PAlexaiXBanana00CreamXFinvolatexxx78Breazonafinnh 7 votes
Improving the moodlets in some manner
1%
friendlysimmersbirdonawire 2 votes
Improved whims
4%
MLadyAzzeraGdurmaFanPhoriaPreCiiousSinaMegapolis 5 votes
The personalities should stay as they are
0%
Evie0602 1 vote
A combination of 2 or more above (please explain in comment)
46%
sketchesCabelle1863CamkatTheSpotted_CIsb917babajayneMorten8035irishdragon7haneulBeardedgeekDevSims91ApparentlyAwesomeBluellekemoweryHannaZojagothprincess4evermikawagChampandGirlieHarukotyanDaravi 49 votes
Other (Please explain in comment)
10%
fruitsbasket101Cinebarannaliese39DoloresGreyChadSims2Remy_GenevaTamakiSakura84TS1299SERVERFRAGlacierSnowSthenastia 11 votes

Comments

• GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    Mostly, I want customizable autonomy. I want to choose, individually on each sim, what kinds of behaviors they autonomously do and to some degree how frequently they are likely to do them.

For example:

Is this sim ever mean to other sims? Always, Sometimes, Rarely, Never
    Does this sim like to do creative activities? As much as possible, Occasionally, Rarely, Never

The idea could be implemented in a variety of ways, including traits, sliders, toggles, likes and dislikes etc. But basically, I want the ability to fully craft and fine tune each sim's autonomous behavior.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    I will keep this brief. An Emotion System overhaul which revamps the Moodlets, making Fine the prominent emotion instead of Happy.

I do not know how realistic it is to change the trait system into an S2-styled personality system. Still, I think it will be phenomenal if it can be done. Otherwise, I am content with improving the existing system to resemble the S3 one: more slots, more traits.

Whims should reflect what our sims want based on their personalities/traits. Not some generic wishes which everybody somehow has all the time.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    More traits, different personalities trigger different emotions based on the situation, making moodlets not just icons but with actual animations in gameplay, also use memories to give every sims a unique biography that inluences what they talk about, think about etc., less goofy smiling all day, make sims want and fear different things based on who they are, make relationships between sims more complex.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I won’t know what I want until I see what they want to add. Then I can determine if it’s acceptable for me or if more improvements need to be made.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    fix the personalities: rework the whole system among traits/emotions/whims. add consequences. rework the AI, enhance it somehow because the AI is the most important part. devs say it's impossible, but they CAN, they just don't do it cuz it's probably too expensive for a free update, but they should do it to fix their game. also add more animations regarding sims personalities, not everyone acts the same and the game should at least have the basics of this.
    if devs don't know how to do it right, well, they have plenty of inspiration from past sims games.
    bonus request: #fixthebugs
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Wants and Fears, deeper more meaningful traits, relationship and interest consequences based on traits, memories, a perk tree for human sims similar to what vampires, spell casters and celebrities have, balanced emotions, unique emotional behaviour based on traits, I could go on.

Do I believe the developers will tackle everything that needs fixing? No. But fixing personalities will require more than one thing be fixed, tweaked, altered or added.
  • CNJ93CNJ93 Posts: 30 Member
    More trait slots and more traits. Have traits impact whims better, so that whims reflect sims' personalities more. The traits should make the sims act differently from each other and add more unique interactions depending on traits.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    From your list the obvious one is adding a personality point system like Sims 2 that truly helps define the core of the Sim behavior. Now the personality traits we have need a complete overhaul before more useless traits are added so they can enhance the personality point system
    they need to up their tiny budget and create new animations to make these traits feel and look different from each other. Also a memory system is needed so things that happen actually matter or having these personalities will be as shallow as it is now. Wants and fears should also return and go along with the traits that were picked and the choices we made for the Sim while playing it.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited August 2020
    I do sometimes miss the points system, but I would happily stick with traits if they had more depth. I want traits to be more distinct and to have more impact on emotions and behaviour. I really miss the little touches in TS3 like how only neat and perfectionist sims would automatically make their beds. I also want more traits (e.g. neurotic, cultured, eccentric, brave etc.), a fear emotion, improved whims, and other features to add personality, such as favourites, turn ons/offs, fears, memories etc.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    We definitely need more traits, and they need to be made more influential on our sims' behavior and reactions. Ambient emotional effects should be capped at +3 for any one emotion. More negative emotion-triggering events should be added, as well as making Uncomfortable magnify negative emotions and for goodness sake, give us the Fear emotion because Tense just doesn't cut it. Change the moodlet from Guilty Drinker (Vampire Weakness) from Tense to Sad, because it doesn't make any freaking sense. Whims should be revamped to the old wants and fears system from TS2. And, having TS2's personality points system on top of traits would also be nice.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    Mostly, I want customizable autonomy. I want to choose, individually on each sim, what kinds of behaviors they autonomously do and to some degree how frequently they are likely to do them.

For example:

Is this sim ever mean to other sims? Always, Sometimes, Rarely, Never
    Does this sim like to do creative activities? As much as possible, Occasionally, Rarely, Never

The idea could be implemented in a variety of ways, including traits, sliders, toggles, likes and dislikes etc. But basically, I want the ability to fully craft and fine tune each sim's autonomous behavior.

This would be amazing. I am not a good micro manager (I don't like micro managing), BUT I can't stand it when some Sims develop certain skills thru autonomous actions that I totally don't want them to have. (I guess the way to put it here is it's just not part of my story for them.) I've had games where I cheat-erased their skills completely and cheated their skill points back, minus X skill they autonomously gained by using their phone (I am not a fan of the mandatory smart phones in this game.... LOL) or computer. This is NOT how I like to play the game. :tongue:

It would be awesome for autonomous behavior to match personality traits, but I suppose the issue would mean it would require a trait/personality revamp, like you suggested: Always, Sometimes, Rarely, Never.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    @sketches Yes im like that too! I only want certain skills for certain sims for my storylines lol

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Adding more trait slots
    I mostly like them as they are, but I would love more trait slots.
    I do sometimes miss the points system, but I would happily stick with traits if they had more depth. I want traits to be more distinct and to have more impact on emotions and behaviour. I really miss the little touches in TS3 like how only neat and perfectionist sims would automatically make their beds. I also want more traits (e.g. neurotic, cultured, eccentric, brave etc.), a fear emotion, improved whims, and other features to add personality, such as favourites, turn ons/offs, fears, memories etc.

The small details matter! Even Sims 2 will personality points did this. If your sim was low on the social side theyd have their own "shy" dance they'd do while everyone else dances regularly. Sims maxed out on social would always jump into hot tubs naked. I love reading all the moodlets sims 3 gave but its also fun finding out those small things in sims 2 to find out why your specific sim acts the way they do.

• silentcyborgsilentcyborg Posts: 210 Member
    My dream is an update for traits to influence emotions, whims, and sim autonomy, less reliance on emotion, and for some kind of likes/dislikes system to be put in place. And more traits of course. I don't expect to see any of this put in place though, but I'm kinda tired of emotions ruling my games.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I hated the points system, especially the ones in CAS. I don't like having a set amount of points to assign to a Sim, and i really hated that I couldn't control their interests.
    I hated the points system, especially the ones in CAS. I don't like having a set amount of points to assign to a Sim, and i really hated that I couldn't control their interests.

You cant control interest but you could control hobbies. Depending on their personality, though, they wouldve have a knack for it, which is a nice touch imo. What system do you like?

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Making the traits have more impact on a sims choices rather than the emotion as well as adding more traits/trait slots in general.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    It's a combination of things for me. I think consulting a psychologist to get and understand human emotions and personalities would be a start to get better insight on human behavior. I think personality points, similar to how they were used in Sims 2, should be used with zodiac signs as like a base line for every sims personality but personality traits should be the thing that makes them even more unique. So far I think they had the right mindset in TS3 with 5 traits but with an education at university and you can get one or even 2 extra traits making it 7 traits in total your sim can have. Each personality trait should come with it's own unique set of details, habits and desires.

Like family oriented sims like to spend time with their families. That's proven by their desire to call their grandfather just to talk, to want to walk or drive their child(ren) to school instead of having them take the bus sometimes or all the time, to have more kids, to take a parenting class. They may have a habit of simply watching their family with a fond smile or getting upset or angry when someone messes with their family. And other traits can and should play into that.

Let's say there's a family oriented sim who is also easily angered. So if she sees someone picking on her little sister there's the option to defend. She could go over and start yelling at or even hitting the sim that's a threat to her sister. Or if a sim is a romantic and he sees his spouse and kids interact, that's everything and he may have a desire right then and there to have another child or kiss his spouse or even photograph or remember that moment.

I also think being able to choose things like hobbies, interests, favorites, attraction, repulsions would help create more complex and diverse sims in addition to all of that but they have to mean something too. Like if blue is a sims favorite color maybe their more prone to picking blue options like they're a fair and can pick a balloon, they'll pick blue. They win a t-shirt, they're more likely to go for the blue one. Not every time but there is favoritism. If they love playing basketball in their free time and you're not currently playing their household, you might find that sim at the basketball court or if their favorite food is ice-cream you're likely to find them in the park at an ice-cream stand. Again, not every time but they lean towards those things.

That being said, I don't think we'll ever get something like all of that in The Sims 4 if ever in The Sims series.

What I would considered fixed from them? Tone down emotions, boost the personality traits where they actually differentiate and have more meaning, add more personality traits and add more personality trait slots. I think five was a nice number but I think it was Grant who said something like over 3 traits wouldn't work because the sims would stumble all over themselves and wouldn't be distinct or something but somehow they made it work before.

I'm not expecting them to do the world but each sim should feel and act unique, not just look unique.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    The personalities like Sims 3 put into Sims 4.
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited August 2020
    Improved whims, less powerful emotions + more autonomous behaviour based on traits and fear emotion
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I loved the points system as in Sims 2. I experimented with it all the time.

Any made for Sims 4 would have to be more sophisticated to get my ultimate vote though.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Combination of the best of sims 2 and sims 3 personality systems
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member

You cant control interest but you could control hobbies. Depending on their personality, though, they wouldve have a knack for it, which is a nice touch imo. What system do you like?

A totally new system where I can control what the Sim does/likes/is like.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    We need emotions to not override traits in all instances. In some instances it does make sense, but not for all cases so the emotions need a lot of tuning. A focused room shouldn't override grief of a spouse dying. Emotions should be more connected to traits rather than objects. Objects can still play a role, but it plays too much of the role right now.

Aspirations should have more meaning and carry more weight. Right now they're basically a game tutorial. I'd like to see my want to be the top of their career (for example). I guess this goes hand in hand with better whims as well.

Traits need to carry more weight for everything. My creative sim should go to the easel to fill their fun need, not the video games on the computer. The video games are appropriate fun for a geek sim though. That's not to say they can't have fun doing other things, but they should have more fun doing something that is related to their traits. Same with sims interacting with other sims with opposite traits to theirs. Everyone shouldn't always just love everyone else. People don't get along sometimes. That's a fact. I'd like my sims to have that in their lives too.

We also need a few more negative traits.

We need a fear system as well. Whims are all well and good but there's no consequence for not doing them so they go ignored. Ignored to the point that the game actually starts with them turned off in the options! Why did they bother with developing that whole system just to abandon it? Makes no sense to me. Just tweak it a bit and make it useful again.

Having some sort of likes/dislikes feature like TS2 would be helpful too. Sure my sim is a geek, but what is it that they actually geek out on? Is it video games? Maybe it's reading? Painting? Juicing? Establishing this would give us some variety within the traits as well. Maybe my geek reader with pick up a book more than my geek gamer. Two geek readers might get along slightly better than a reader and gamer.

Honestly, it would probably require a whole game overhaul and I doubt they can do that for TS4 now. Including some of this can hopefully be done in the future though. It's much easier to just add some new swatches for skins, hairs and eyes though and call it a day.
    Origin ID: Peapod79