Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Fix to Annoying Calls/Texts from Strangers: Exchange Numbers

Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
edited August 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I have seen quite a lot of players voiced their grievances about acquaintances making excessive calls/texts to their active sims. Some would reach out non-stop even though they had only met our sims once in some unimportant circumstances.

I would like to propose a simple solution—a meaningful Exchange Numbers interaction.

Right now, we have that interaction under Romance, which only serves for story purposes because sims automatically acquire one another’s numbers upon meeting. Changing that into both friendly/romance interactions that has gameplay mechanics can greatly alleviates the excessive calls/texts that we have been experiencing.

Two sims who have not exchanged numbers will not be able to call/text each other (yes, it would only be fair if our sims won’t be able to call either). This will ensure that our sims will not receive random invites from someone whom they have only met once or met because of gameplay reasons (NPCs).

Of course, a few of the gameplay texts (i.e., vampire welcome, inheritance, scam, et cetera) would still happen since they are not necessarily triggered by known sims and will not cause our sims to be acquainted with them.

What do you think? Do you like this idea? I hope it is not too complex to revamp this functionality.

E.t.a.: text revision.

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2020
    I do not think it is a bad idea, but doesn't this at least canonically break invitations to lots as well? If they are not registered in your phone you would have sacrifice contact of both sorts, being it normal phone communication or travelling together. Personally, I am not sure I am willing to risk having a Sim I wanted to develop a relationship with disappear and then have to chase him/her down in god mode and transfer families. It would be a lot of work.

Theoretically, though, this would be the exception to the rule and stranger calls are annoying. I kind of feel there needs to be a "phone book" interaction on the computer where you can look up NPC numbers. Better yet, a phone interaction to block certain numbers. That way you can keep people in your phone and turn them on and off, if you will.
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    I think you have a point @Calico45 . Though I think it can be circumvented with extra coding effort that makes the travel/invite list to pull from a sim’s Relationship List instead of their call list. The phonebook is also a fine idea. That way, players can easily search up the numbers that they want, while still maintaining the original exchange numbers idea that I’ve proposed.

Personally, I find the idea quite appealing that we’ll need to put in some effort to find someone again. But I do understand your concern about story-telling control and such.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I like both ideas.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited August 2020
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I do not think it is a bad idea, but doesn't this at least canonically break invitations to lots as well? If they are not registered in your phone you would have sacrifice contact of both sorts, being it normal phone communication or travelling together. Personally, I am not sure I am willing to risk having a Sim I wanted to develop a relationship with disappear and then have to chase him/her down in god mode and transfer families. It would be a lot of work.

You make a reasonable point as far as gameplay style goes. I would personally prefer to play the game 1) without mandatory cell phones and 2) actually @Simmer_chiyen's gameplay-changing suggestion. I always thought it was too ... weird... to have Sims be able to reach each other whenever.

This one might also apply to social media/screen names/e-mail addresses, however. You automatically have the capability to chat with your Sim friends by using a computer. Does that kind of follow the same line of thought as automatically having the capability to call up or text your Sim's friends?

It would be really sweet to have a Setting for this.

But I also just truly wish we had landlines again — and not mandatory smart phones. LOL! #BringBackLandlines

OK, OK... At the LEAST, I wish we could have the option to rid of our cell phones, and have them as purchasable inventory items (like in The Sims 2). It would be neat to have a flip-phone version and a smart phone version of a cell phone, but that's gotta be a pipe dream. :tongue:
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I think this is a great idea!
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • PieceOfPrincessPieceOfPrincess Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2020
    I have seen quite a lot of players voiced their grievances about acquaintances making excessive calls/texts to their active sims. Some would reach out non-stop even though they had only met our sims once in some unimportant circumstances.

I would like to propose a simple solution—a meaningful Exchange Numbers interaction.

Right now, we have that interaction under Romance, which only serves for story purposes because sims automatically acquire one another’s numbers upon meeting. Changing that into both friendly/romance interactions that has gameplay mechanics can greatly alleviates the excessive calls/texts that we have been experiencing.

Two sims who have not exchanged numbers will not be able to call/text each other (yes, it would only be fair if our sims won’t be able to call either). This will ensure that our sims will not receive random invites from someone whom they have only met once or met because of gameplay reasons (NPCs).

Of course, a few of the gameplay texts (i.e., vampire welcome, inheritance, scam, et cetera) would still happen since they are not necessarily triggered by known sims and will not cause our sims to be acquainted with them.

What do you think? Do you like this idea? I hope it is not too complex to revamp this functionality.

E.t.a.: text revision.

I would love to call/text after you exchanged numbers! Sometimes you just greet a person, no other interactions, and next thing you know they send you texts and invite you over. The interaction "exchange numbers" seems to be random and adds no value.
    Play the "Pac(k)-man Challenge" Find it in my Google Doc or Copy it from the Forum!
    FIND THE LATEST RULES AND ROLLS FOR THE SIMS 4 RANDOM LEGACY IN THIS BLOG.