Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Summer Fest Gift Exchange ~ DONE!

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    I love the way all the stories and homes are so very different! Loved that Hugh got the girl he wished for and Ella got the boy! You might wonder if the game tries to accommodate them.

Your home is lovely @suzses. I look forward to seeing how it grows.
    For those who are curious, I researched Johnny Appleseed and found out that back then one could claim land they had improved. One way was planting 50 apple trees. Johnny was a barefoot guy in threadbare clothes, but he wasn't poor. In fact, planting all those apple trees turned him into quite the land owner.

I wanted to play a more authentic take since it was around 1770 and Johnny wouldn't have been catching cabs or even riding a bike. So, I started Johnny with a horse. I put him on the most expensive 64x64 lot and used his money to by a stable, horse trough, hay bale, and yes, an outhouse. I even built him a little 3x5 cabin and gave him a larder, a single bed, and a pull-up bar (which I always pretend is for hanging up clothes). So, yay he started with more, but no counter, no stove, no fireplace, and nothing modern. He had to make friends with his horse before I let him ride to town, which is quite a distance away.

He got to plant the apples that were in the fridge. All six of them, at once! When he learned gardening (by actual gardening, not a book), he got an apple seed to plant and some other seeds which were great fertilizer. I also let him use the 3 garlic bulbs from the fridge for fertilizer. So, his first 7 plants all produced great and excellent apples right away to replant. Any thing less than great was edible. :smiley:

To pay the bills, I let him race a beginner race once and went for broke, He came in last place! So I let him try a harder race later and stuck with a steady pace. He came in third. That paid the bills nicely and gave him extra to add more fencing and expand the cabin a little.

In one weeks time he had all 50 apple trees growing - not quite half of them perfect. On the following Monday, the trees had all matured. So maybe that was too easy having a fridge and a bed instead of mooching meals (which is easy) and sleeping at a fire station (which again is easy enough if you have ambitions).

I thought having the horse would require a bit more work. It did keep him busy all day long. When done gardening, he'd go out riding. It was enjoyable. Here's a couple pics for you:
    screenshot-16-e1594429512366.jpg

screenshot-7.jpg
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @ciane That was an interesting take on the basic challenge. I enjoyed hearing about what you did, and it's pretty amazing he had 50 apple trees within a week and so many perfect ones!
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    I probably shouldn't have let him plant all the apple seeds at once, but Johnny carried a sack full of apple seeds and would probably have planted them all at once. Then, of course, he wouldn't have had just a nice orchard! I may play again with the idea of only planting apples and seeing how long it takes to go from one to fifty.
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    @ciane I love his cabin! And the idea of doing Johnny Appleseed (always a story that appealed to me) is such a fun one.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    The cabin and horse are perfect for Johnny Appleseed @ciane :)
    What a fun twist to the challenge!

Because of you, I'm half tempted to play Chad and see what happens.
    If his LTW is different from Ella's, it could be fun to see if it pairs well with going to Uni.
    @BreeMiles @ciane @GraceyManor @Hidehi @LMC6255 @SamelaRita @seaben
    On Friday, the second piece of the Buddy gift was posted ... the household (and the last two chapters, if you're interested).
    The link to the household is listed on the first page of the thread under Buddy Gifts.

Have also added the links for @suzses One Tomato story, parts one and two which is well worth a look!
    I played a different version of Johnny Appleseed today. This time no horse and without the larder and bed. I put Johnny on a 20x30 lot on the opposite side of town from the fire station. So he spent a lot of time jogging or running around. (I still didn't give him a bike.) I let him go to the library this time to read about gardening and when he got his seeds, two of them were for fruit trees - neither apple. So, I decided fruit trees worked as well as apple trees.

He went fishing for some minnows to fertilize his trees. So the fruit came out great right away. He got three fruit from each tree and immediately planted them. His extra seeds went to pay the bills, which were only like 9 simoleans. So, when those trees matured, he was able to plant a dozen of each. He was able to plant his 50 trees and then use the extra fruit sales to pay the bills the second week. The first two trees died, so he planted 8 extra trees. That way when the next six trees die, he'll still have 50 trees. He has lots of perfect trees and just needs them to be harvestable at the same time to accomplish his LTW.

The first thing he bought was a sleeping bag. Then, he bought two sprinklers, followed by a toilet and then a shower.

So, even without buying plants and never mooching food, this is a very doable challenge (as long as there is a fire station or your sim has the inappropriate trait.

Thanks again @SamelaRita for such a fun diversion.
  • seabenseaben Posts: 631 Member
    edited July 2020
    thanks for the update @ciane its really interesting hearing about your twists on the the challenge. hi @everyone chapter 4 of my story is ready to read ;) here https://wordpress.com/customize/menus/seabensims.wordpress.com
    my sims 3 shell challenges https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974534/the-sims-3-shell-challenge-corner-challenge-4-due-july-31th/p1 or check out my sims blog https://seabensims.wordpress.com/ my Wishlist is seaben06 on the sims 3 store and my oid is also seaben06
    Hi @seaben . I think your Ella is doing better, at least garden-wise, even though she slept in the rain and caught a cold, poor dear. She needs to park her sleeping bag inside somewhere from now on. Here is the right link for your chapter 4: https://seabensims.wordpress.com/entry-4-ellas-down-on-her-luck/
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    Looks like you're still having fun with Johnny Appleseed @ciane :)
    It's interesting how you've done it differently and are still quickly managed to plant 50 trees.
    Poor Ella is having a hard time of it but her garden looks great @seaben
    Thanks for providing the correct link @suzses
    Hi @seaben I see your Ella is still determinedly doing her best to make a new life for herself - despite the rain, the cold in the nose and so on!
    @suzses I love all the woods and the blues in your house. It looks so calm and elegant.
  • seabenseaben Posts: 631 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    Hi @seaben . I think your Ella is doing better, at least garden-wise, even though she slept in the rain and caught a cold, poor dear. She needs to park her sleeping bag inside somewhere from now on. Here is the right link for your chapter 4: https://seabensims.wordpress.com/entry-4-ellas-down-on-her-luck/

Thank you for providing the correct link @suzses yeah I'm going to have her sleep in doors from now on lol

may I give @everyone that plans to play this challenge a word of advice don't buy mushrooms when expanding your garden they aren't harvestable everyday so you don't get as much for your money oh and I forot to give a skills update in this chapter so I'm about to edit it
    my sims 3 shell challenges https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/974534/the-sims-3-shell-challenge-corner-challenge-4-due-july-31th/p1 or check out my sims blog https://seabensims.wordpress.com/ my Wishlist is seaben06 on the sims 3 store and my oid is also seaben06
    It's always fun to stop in here and see another chapter shared.

Did you add your one tomato challenge to the challenge list in the stories and legacies forum @SamelaRita ? Maybe some others will find it a fun challenge too.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @seaben: Wow, your Ella is really down on her luck! Poor thing. But she's working hard anyway, good for her! Mushrooms also don't give you as many harvests as the regular plants and trees. First she gets struck by lightning twice, and now she has caught a cold. Things will look up for her soon, I hope!

@Ciane: Interesting to see how the two Johnny Appleseeds compare. I may have to try that challenge at some point; is it significantly different from the One Tomato challenge?
    I just used a new sim without anything in inventory - so no tomato seed nor bike. With Johnny, I didn't make him a mooch and I made him run or jog or ride a horse everywhere. The first time around I build him a small cabin with fridge and bed as I thought there wouldn't have been a library and fire station back then. So, he got to plant the apples you find in the fridge and he ate the other fruit for his meals. The second time, I wanted to see if it would play out okay without the fridge and bed. Of course, that meant he had to use the library to gain gardening and had to use the fire station to grab quick meals and sleep in a very uncomfortable bed. There was no mooching to pay bills, but they were small and the other seeds from learning gardening will cover at least the first week's bills.
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    I have another chapter of Chad Hill's story up on my blog if anyone would like to catch up on it.. Did Chad find Love? Find out in this chapter of Settling Down
    1.jpg

Settling Down 'Chapter Six'

edited July 2020
    Wow, that looks fantastic. I will enjoy catching up with your latest chapter in a bit, but I'm on my out right now. (The dogs are out of carrots, which are the treat they get in the evening to clean their teeth.)

I love the story @BreeMiles! Great plot and characters!!!
    Post edited by ciane on
    @BreeMiles I'm so glad Chad found someone <3
  • aaronmylseaaronmylse Posts: 2 New Member
    Great story, @BreeMiles! Sitting in my chair in my socks from https://printsfield.com/, it was the best reading ever!
    Thank you all so very much, your sweet and kind comments make my day!
    edited August 2020
    @BreeMiles I thought I had commented on your latest Chad update, but apparently I didn't. I did read and enjoy it when you posted and was very happy to see how things were working out for Chad. :)<3

@ All - It's taken me a month, but I'm back with some promised pictures of the 2-story version of Ella and Jon's house. I haven't been playing because I've been building, so I think they've only had a day of actually "living" since I was last here.* It's Ella and Jon and their infant son, Eric. Ella's still gardening, John's writing, baby's crying ;). Most of their income is from the veggies and not from the books, and I suspect Ella will always make more since she's specializing in those magical, valuable red berry beans. They're about ready to invest in a local business - trying to decide whether it will be the grocery store or the book store. Eventually, I think they should own a community garden, but time will tell.

Pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/MyTmeTL

* Edited to add: Possibly not quite true, but I think I had at least most of the 2-story finished by the time I posted the 1-story pictures.
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @suzses Ella and Jon's home is lovely the interior of the home is beautiful, the colors are soft and inviting, Ella and Jon seem to be doing well!
    Gorgeous home @suzses but what else could it be when YOU built it?! Fabulous color palette and comfortable furnishings makes this a place where one can easily imagine Sims kicking off their shoes and dancing together or finding a cozy spot to read a good book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top