Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A "We Don't Celebrate" button for holidays.

I play a great many different families in different households, who are of varied ethnicities, beliefs, and species. I have holidays for everyone, but not everyone celebrates every holiday. And there are a lot of them. But there's no way to dismiss the holiday window without getting an "awful holiday" message and moodlet. It's really annoying. Can we fix this?
Julianne Lee
Simmer since 2001

Comments

• Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    The Holiday thing should have been a option not a guilt trip. If a Sims celebrates the holiday then they get the points and the Sims that don't bother get nothing just another day.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I like this idea
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Yes this would be great
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    Yes, so much for their “all inclusive” self-label. This is a bit insulting for the game to “guilt” Sims for not celebrating a holiday.
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    Yeah I find that really annoying too, I use a mod to remove that message and sad moodlet.
  • LaurenNumberOneLaurenNumberOne Posts: 54 Member
    This should be a top suggestion. It's so annoying when I don't care about the specific holiday but I know a sad moodlet is on the way.
  • dyl_andwhatdyl_andwhat Posts: 367 Member
    Or at least have certain clubs follow/not follow holidays. E.g. I could have a club of sims who are meant to be Hindu or Muslim and have them (and only them) celebrate holidays such as Diwali or Eid (in that order).
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    In my current game, I just deleted every holiday. I'll go back through at some point and add in some good pan-religious, pansexual, personal pan pizza holidays like Candlenights, Wolfenoot, and Summerween.

In other games I've gone in and edited the holidays that I wanted to keep so that they just had one or two easily-met requirements, like real holidays, and gotten rid of a bunch of the more annoying ones, like Neighborhood Brawl or Talk Like A Pirate Day.

I'd love if you could set what holidays a sim celebrated on an individual basis, though.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    We need to be able to choose what the individual sim celebrates.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I agree, and to work around this I just use UI Cheats Extension to remove any sad moodlets a sim gets from not completing a holiday.

It obviously shouldn't have to happen, but it works.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    I agree, and to work around this I just use UI Cheats Extension to remove any sad moodlets a sim gets from not completing a holiday.

It obviously shouldn't have to happen, but it works.

UI Cheats is basically an essential mod.

Don't want to celebrate a holiday? End it and erase the negative moodlets.
    Sims mourning the death of someone they barely knew? Erase the negative moodlets.
    You took one sim off the lot while everyone was asleep, came back a couple of hours later, and now everyone is awake and all their needs are jacked up? Put their needs where they should be.

It shouldn't need to be essential, but there's so many weird quirks and oversights in the game that I can't imagine trying to play without it anymore.
  • SimmerMarsSimmerMars Posts: 242 Member
    @kemowery That sounds exactly how I use it. I’ve been using UI cheats for maybe 2 months now. I have no clue how I played this long without it.
    Origin ID: Bosslady216
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I use the UI cheats too but it would be nice to have a button.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited August 2020
    Movotti wrote: »

Yes, in the same household I have sims who would love a holiday and sims who would hate it or feel indifferent about it and then feel entirely different about another holiday but someone always has to get sad about it?
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Delete the holidays you don't want or renovate them to what you want. You can also create your own holidays.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    I'd love it if calendars - or at least holidays - were actually per household and not per game. Like, you could set up a default one when you first played, but there was an option to mark on the holiday if it was "universal" or "specific" - and then you could edit the traditions for specific households, like some might celebrate Winterfest with family and Father Winter, while others with lights and remembrance. One couple's Love day could be having a meal and a movie in house, while another could be big on going out on the town on a date and gifts.

I mean, admittedly I don't play on rotation, so it's not something that directly impacts me. But it's still something that would be nice to have in the game.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited August 2020
    Movotti wrote: »

I agree with OP and I agree with this.
    I’d like an option in CAS that would allow the player to determine what holidays they celebrate. After saving the household, the sims’ individual preferences are automatically transferred onto the calendar, similar to the way their individual ‘busy’ (work or school) schedule is visible, since this is also not the same for each sim.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I agree OP. It bugs me when I cancel the holiday they get sad about it. If I don't cancel it and they don't do enough to celebrate it, they get a sad moodlet the next day. I'm ok with that one, it makes sense if a sim wanted to celebrate and couldn't... but when I hit that "x" and cancel it, that's it. It should be just canceled and not give sims any kind of sad moods.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I'd love it if calendars - or at least holidays - were actually per household and not per game. Like, you could set up a default one when you first played, but there was an option to mark on the holiday if it was "universal" or "specific" - and then you could edit the traditions for specific households, like some might celebrate Winterfest with family and Father Winter, while others with lights and remembrance..

Yes, that would be perfect. Then we could also have things like anniversaries as well.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Livi5500kLivi5500k Posts: 22 Member
    This should be for each specific sim, not household. There can be different religions (and other things i can’t think of rn) in one household.

If you click don’t celebrate, you get nothing. If you don’t click it but don’t do the traditions, [i]then[/i] you should get a negative moodlet.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    At least let individual sims not have to want to partake in certain traditions. Like drinking. IRL I don't drink, so I'm bothered by the holidays with drinking meaning that every adult sim wants to drink.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I like this suggestion. The way I work around it now, is to switch to the households I'd like to celebrate the upcoming holiday.